Author Topic: A superhero movie about the Green Arrow. Looks pretty interesting.  (Read 4549 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
A superhero movie about the Green Arrow. Looks pretty interesting.
« on: Tuesday, April 17, 2007, 02:05:23 AM »
Green Arrow was one of the most boring DC comic characters till Kevin Smith turned the book on its head and made the series into a best seller.

David Goyer is putting together a film starring the superhero, and it looks more than interesting. Goyer has had more of a hit than miss career. He wrote the scripts for all the Blade movies, as well as Batman Begins and the upcoming Dark Knight (sequel to Batman Begins).

The stuff he has produced has been more than forgettable, including crapfests like Mission to Mars, Ghost Rider, Blade TV series etc.

Anyway Goyer is writing and directing this upcoming project, so I expect it to be good.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/778/778978p1.html

Goyer, according to a report on WizardUniverse.com, is developing Super Max, which will follow Green Arrow as he's wrongly convicted of a crime and sent to a super-maximum security prison for super-villains.

"He's Green Arrow for the first 10 minutes of the movie, and then he's arrested and his secret identity is revealed," Goyer told Wizard. "They shave his goatee and they take his costume and send him to prison for life, and he has to escape. It's like Alcatraz, and he has to team up with, in some cases, some of the very same villains he is responsible for incarcerating in order to get out and clear his name. Of course, tons of people try to kill him while he's in there. We've populated the prison with all sorts of B and C villains from the DC Universe. For the fans, there will be all sorts of characters the hardcore comic book junkies will know, but they're all going to be there under their human names and no one is wearing a costume, but there will be a lot of characters with powers and things like that."

Goyer is reportedly collaborating with writer Justin Marx on the project.

The second is an image of him on the TV Show, Smallville.

« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 17, 2007, 09:05:55 AM by Pugnate »

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
Re: A superhero movie about the Green Arrow. Looks pretty interesting.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2007, 03:30:22 AM »
Yeah read this a few days ago, but why does it have to be the Green Arrow? Why does it even have to be a super hero movie for that fact? It could be good but it could be a weak reason for another super movie.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2007, 06:55:32 AM »
Any reason is a weak reason.  Still, it sounds pretty sweet.  You say this is the guy that did Batman Begins?  That gives me some confidence because that movie was awesome.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2007, 08:11:48 AM »
Batman Begins was, imo, the best superhero movie ever made.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2007, 09:24:38 AM »
Goyer working on it makes the news interesting, Green Arrow was a cool character in the Justice League Unlimited animated series and in Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Strikes Again.  I really wish Goyer would work with the animated series staff on a Justice League movie, but I don't see that ever happening.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2007, 09:43:40 AM »
Yeah read this a few days ago, but why does it have to be the Green Arrow? Why does it even have to be a super hero movie for that fact? It could be good but it could be a weak reason for another super movie.

Otherwise it would have been just another guy wrongfully accused, who breaks out of prison to clear himself. I think we've had plenty of that. At least this gives it some sort of a twist. The flick will feature all sorts of baddies from the Gotham City insane asylum... Could be interesting.

After crapfests like Daredevil, Fantastic 4 and Ghost Rider this has the potential to be different. It is aiming to be semi realistic like Batman Begins.

You could be right that it may end up being really weak, but if it had been a pure Green Arrow movie then it would have felt like another useless superhero flick.

If I think of the best superhero movies of all time, like Batman Begins, Superman I & II, Spider-man II (to some extent) etc., what set them apart were the scripts. The first two Superman movies for me were probably the best of the superhero flicks because of Christopher Reeves's fine acting, fantastic scripts with plenty of soul and humor, and of course great supporting roles played by Gene Hackmen and Terrance Stamp.

Terrance was pretty amazing as Zod. He was vicious, scary and very dominating. He embraced the role, despite it being a superhero flick.

Other movies like Hell boy, Sin City, V for Vendetta, Blade, 300 (which I haven't seen yet) were a mix of decent scripts with really sexy visuals. Even Tim Burton's Batman movies had plenty of style, even if they weren't good Batman movies. The visuals in Batman and Batman returns are extremely sweet.

X1 and X2 were quite decent basically because of a great cast, but were weak on the action. X3 had a lot of sweet action, but it felt kookey... the acting felt off and I hated the script.

But all of those above mentioned had something that set them apart. The latest superhero movies have been depressingly familiar with silly special effects without any heart or soul whatsoever.

Daredevil, Elektra, Fantastic 4, Ghost Rider all sucked... and there seems to be a lot more suckage on the horizon. Something has to set these flicks apart, but all the producers want is a quick buck. They know they will get it because all of these flicks spark a curiosity, but they are unwilling to experiment with a bigger budget and a team that loves the characters.  So in the end corners are cut so that the movies will have a wider appeal and an overall lower budget.

To be honest, the producers of these movies are a little weary. On Superman Returns and Hulk a lot of money was spent, both in terms of visuals and on writers/directors who loved the genre. Unfortunately they were both disappointing at the box office.

You say this is the guy that did Batman Begins?  That gives me some confidence because that movie was awesome.

Yup. He is writing a script for the sequel and he wrote a script for the upcoming Flash movie as well. When I initially learned that he was chosen for Batman Begins I was a touch worried, but he did well.

Batman Begins was, imo, the best superhero movie ever made.

I'd put Superman II before it, but yea Begins was a great start. I expect the Dark Knight to be better. They are shooting for a very adult picture, the Dark Knight. There are rumors that they are tiptoeing near the R rating because The Joker is actually going to come off as a real psychopath. The sort of guy who laughs as he kills and tortures people. Let's see how Heath Ledger handles it.

I am just hoping they don't go overboard with the horror. I would love for the movie to be literally off the pages of the Dark Knight, but that sort of thing makes younger fans nervous and producers antsy... even if it does well.

The first two Tim Burton Batman movies did fairly well at the box office, but a lot of children left the movie crying and upset... so the franchise changed direction for the worse.

Who's That Joker?
Rumors about the Clown Prince's look in Dark Knight.
by Stax
 April 16, 2007 - With The Dark Knight reportedly set to begin filming in London shortly, it won't be long before Heath Ledger finally steps before cameras as the new Joker. But what the Oscar-nominated Aussie will look like as the Clown Prince of Crime has been one of the big questions that fans have been wondering about. Now there are a few rumors online about what that look may be.

Although they later updated their initial report to emphasize that this is not the final design, Batman-on-Film.com has been informed by a scooper that Ledger's Joker "will have gray skin with lots of scarring."

Furthermore, Joker will reportedly wear "raggedy" garb, which jives with earlier rumors that his outfit will be more like something he's thrown together than a costume per se.

Director Christopher Nolan is said to be going for a "scary" Joker rather than a clownish one, which would be in line with the realistic approach he took with villains Ra's Al Ghul and The Scarecrow in Batman Begins.

BoF adds that Warner Bros. will likely release an official image of Ledger as The Joker this summer to ward off spy snapshots from leaking out.

Ledger views the Clown Prince of Crime as a "pure anarchist," according to MercuryNews.com. "I still feel like it's a character I've never done before, and I'm going to be donning a mask [figuratively]. I'm not really thinking about the commercial consequences. Maybe I should be. But at this point, it's just an exciting next step."

Also apparently they are going with less rubber on the new batman costume, while the ears may go a little bigger.

Goyer working on it makes the news interesting, Green Arrow was a cool character in the Justice League Unlimited animated series and in Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Strikes Again.  I really wish Goyer would work with the animated series staff on a Justice League movie, but I don't see that ever happening.

For sure. When they started the Green Arrow character back in the day, apparently he was supposed to be Batman with arrows. That's why Goyer picked Green Arrow for this script, he wanted someone who could get beaten up a lot before he dishes it out.

Damn this post has gotten long heh. As soon as I hit post someone else replies and then I respond to that. :P

Speaking of the famous league started by Superman and Batman, there is apparently a JLA movie scheduled after the Superman and Batman sequels. Word is that it will star both Brandon Routh and Christian Bale.

February 23, 2007 - Fanboys across the world will mess themselves after reading this: Warner Bros. is planning a live-action feature film version of the Justice League of America!

Writing duo Kiernan and Michele Mulroney (the Mr. & Mrs. Smith TV pilot) will write a JLA screenplay, which Variety reports may feature such DC Comics icons as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, The Flash and Entourage's favorite superhero, Aquaman. The studio has yet to finalize which characters will be in it.

"The Justice League of America has been a perennial favorite for generations of fans, and we believe their appeal to film audiences will be as strong and diverse as the characters themselves," Warners exec Jeff Robinov informed Variety.

According to IESB.net's sources, reports of Batman's exclusion from the film are untrue and that Warners intends on utilizing their other most famous comic book hero besides Superman for what could be a hugely expensive film.

They also point out that Christian Bale said while doing press for Batman Begins that he was signed to a three-picture deal, one of which could be a team-up film of some kind.

Think of JLA as Warners' answer to Fox's X-Men franchise -- the third installment of which out grossed Superman Returns at the 2006 summer box office -- or their Fantastic Four series (the first FF film accomplished something that Batman Begins could not at the time, which was to break the summer '05 box office slump).

Kiernan and Michele Mulroney (the Mr. & Mrs. Smith TV pilot) are writing the JLA script.

I don't know how it would be 'really expensive' though.

Also if they include Aquaman they should go with the new version. The one who chopped off his own arm to save his son and ended up replacing it with a hook.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2007, 06:45:15 PM »
Is Christian Bale coming back for Dark Knight?

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2007, 06:57:03 PM »
Is Christian Bale coming back for Dark Knight?

Yes.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2007, 07:54:24 PM »
I just loved the last scene in Batman Begins when he turns over the joker card... maybe it's because I know a lot about Batman, but that one shot had a lot of weight with it!

As for the Green Arrow... it is a novel idea, a different take and you're very right Pug, the better super hero movies had the better stories. So maybe this new idea will pay off and we'll get something awsome.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2007, 10:10:50 PM »
Yes.

Yay!  He made that movie for me.  That guy kicks ass.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, April 18, 2007, 12:25:55 AM »
Yea Bale is pretty cool. He is signed on for three movies.

A few more Superhero movies in the works:

1. Captain America
2. Iron Man
3. Sub Mariner (why?)

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, April 18, 2007, 12:53:04 AM »

Well Im sold. That looks fantastic as joker.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, April 18, 2007, 01:32:26 AM »
Yea I just looked and it is a fake. It is a photoshop of some other movie that Goyer and Christopher Nolan have said is the inspiration for the Joker look, so not a total loss.

This is the look they want to give the Joker: