Author Topic: Mac Love  (Read 8946 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Mac Love
« on: Sunday, September 10, 2006, 11:51:59 PM »
God thats funny.

Paging coolman to tell us how wrong it is. Just remember its a pretty old vid.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
Re: Mac Love
« Reply #1 on: Monday, September 11, 2006, 12:03:01 AM »
ahaha I remember seeing that for the first time.. made me chuckle. Even if it's not accurate, that's still funny.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Monday, September 11, 2006, 12:49:31 AM »
How have I never seen this?  Honestly, that pretty much sums up the time I've spent with Macs.  Even the one I used at the copy shop when my new system was being built after my laptop died... the thing crashed like 2 times in the 4 or so times I went there to use their internet access.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: Monday, September 11, 2006, 01:32:46 AM »
Hahaha I think I still have this video on my computer, good stuff.  I remember going through some of those problems the few times I've had to use a Mac at school for my After Effects and Premiere classes.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #4 on: Monday, September 11, 2006, 05:28:57 AM »
Yep, pretty good one :P Been a while since I'd seen the first time.

Offline ender

« Reply #5 on: Monday, September 11, 2006, 05:35:25 AM »
This is kind of a load of bull. I have a new iMac Duo-Core with OS X here at work... and I never have any problems at all. We also have PCs and they crash far more than my Mac does.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #6 on: Monday, September 11, 2006, 05:45:28 AM »
This is kind of a load of bull. I have a new iMac Duo-Core with OS X here at work... and I never have any problems at all. We also have PCs and they crash far more than my Mac does.
Haha, keep in mind this video is pretty old! Although even in its date it was fairly inaccurate. I still hate MacOS. I love the fact that bootcamp is available now, and you can have Windows on a Mac. I'm also really looking forward to MacOS X 10.5 Leopard, it's supposed to be pretty freakin' sweet, with a resolution independant vector-based GUI!

Check this out:
http://home.mchsi.com/~khadzic/MyWebsite/files/894e07fcd22c955250834e4b9652ae05-27.html

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Monday, September 11, 2006, 09:15:00 AM »
At first it was funny, but as soon as I heard the words "BOAT ANCHOR!" I lost it. The guy is pretty good at delivery.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #8 on: Monday, September 11, 2006, 11:47:13 AM »
Yeah, the guy was very animated, and I think that is what made it funny for me

that and him running across the screen flailing his arms

hahaha

yeah... gonna have to watch it again :)
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline DrSbaitso

« Reply #9 on: Monday, September 11, 2006, 02:40:21 PM »
Most of the examples he gives apply more to Windows than Mac:

You try to close a program and it locks up, then you try to do that funny, clover leaf period thing, these unnatural and ultimately useless interrupt keys
Command-Alt-Escape? No less natural than Control-Alt-Delete...

It’s the only OS that I know of that click and drag doesn’t mean you move anything but you just create shortcuts on your desktop.
The only OS I know of that does this is Windows (and Linux, depending on the desktop environment used).

out of the corner of my eye I keep seeing this thing jumping up and down, the update manager is bouncing at the bottom of the screen like a jack russel terrier
Beats XP's annoying pop-up bubbles ("Click here to take a tour of Windows XP!", "Click here to help us make Office a better product", "Wireless network unavailable", etc.)

if I click on anyone of them by accident I rename it Oh no, its been renamed nothing
OS X doesn't let you rename a file nothing, and even if it did you'd be able to undo it.

On a PC no data is really lost. Theres a way to undelete a file.
And there are ways on Mac as well...

I know the video was probably made in jest. Just wanted to point out some corrections :P

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Monday, September 11, 2006, 05:41:19 PM »
Keep in mind OSX didn't exist when the thing was made, so you can't levy arguments against it for that.

Offline ender

« Reply #11 on: Monday, September 11, 2006, 05:43:03 PM »
Then it is totally obsolete.  >:(

Offline DrSbaitso

« Reply #12 on: Monday, September 11, 2006, 07:12:09 PM »
But he mentions the dock... and a bouncing update manager icon... that sounds like OS X.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Monday, September 11, 2006, 08:32:08 PM »
I don't get why people get so heated about operating systems.  Seriously, look at digg.com.  There are guys on there that seriously want to fuck their mac and then have steve jobs walk in and give them the reach around.   It's fucked up.  There are people like that for windows and linux as well, but the percentage of the people in the wild for those two isn't nearly as high as it is with macs, and that's something I just don't understand.

Who cares.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #14 on: Monday, September 11, 2006, 10:31:17 PM »
Operating systems really don't mean jack to me.  I just hate Apple and wouldn't use their products even if they were, in fact, superior (which I don't believe them to be anyway from all my own experience).  To each his own, really.  Who cares?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2006, 09:01:54 AM »
For me I love versatility and customization. That's why I love PC's, whether it's Windows or Linux. With Macs I've experienced that they are so rigid and uncustomizeable. Which is (to an extent) the same reason they're more stable. I'm not willing to give away some freedom for idiot-proof security (since I'm not an idiot).

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2006, 02:32:37 PM »
That's kind of the reason I wouldn't buy a mac.  I like OSX from a design perspective (read: it looks pretty), but have no reason to switch over completely (re: lose the ability to customize my pc as much as I want from a hardware perspective).  Maybe if I had as much of a problem with windows as a lot of the people preaching macs do I would, but I don't.  In fact, I have virtually no problems (except from ati...which would be easily fixable if I wasn't more lazy then I am annoyed).

I'm not saying one is better then the other, because I don't think it works that way really.  Both have their strengths (as does linux).  Boot Camp and Parallels also defnitly ads another benefit to macs (it's a lot easier getting windows up and running on a mac then getting osx up and running on a pc) but I'm still not willing to make the switch, mainly for hardware reasons, but also becuase there is virtually no need for me.  The one exception I could think of would be for a laptop.  The thing with that is I a.) don't need that much power in a laptop to justify spending that much money on it (I mean, why not just get a better gaming desktop for cheaper?) and b.) For the same price I could get a comparable tablet pc, and I don't care what anyone says, those things are fucking cool. 

But again that's just me and everyone has different priorities when it comes to computers.  The thing that probably scares a lot of people away from macs is that most people who try to sell you on them are total  morons.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, September 13, 2006, 07:55:35 AM »
It’s the only OS that I know of that click and drag doesn’t mean you move anything but you just create shortcuts on your desktop.
The only OS I know of that does this is Windows (and Linux, depending on the desktop environment used).

And it isn't consistent in Windows either.  If you drag an exe, you create a shortcut.  If you drag data files to somewhere else on the same drive (e.g., C:\mine to C:\yours) you move them; but if you drag them to a different drive (e.g., C:\mine to D:\yours) you copy them.  I'm used to this behavior, but if I were a Windows n00b, I'd be badmouthing it all over the boards.

To me, the thing about Apple is not the OS, but the historically tight control on the architecture and software.  I may be out of date on this now, since I haven't really looked at Apples for a long time.  I much prefer open hardware architecture, and being able to run or modify whatever I want, created by whoever wanted to create it.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, September 13, 2006, 10:09:48 AM »

And it isn't consistent in Windows either.  If you drag an exe, you create a shortcut.  If you drag data files to somewhere else on the same drive (e.g., C:\mine to C:\yours) you move them; but if you drag them to a different drive (e.g., C:\mine to D:\yours) you copy them.  I'm used to this behavior, but if I were a Windows n00b, I'd be badmouthing it all over the boards.

To me, the thing about Apple is not the OS, but the historically tight control on the architecture and software.  I may be out of date on this now, since I haven't really looked at Apples for a long time.  I much prefer open hardware architecture, and being able to run or modify whatever I want, created by whoever wanted to create it.
With Windows it's pretty simple: if you want to copy a file by dragging just hold CTRL, if you wanna move the file hold SHIFT, and if you wanna make a shortcut hold ALT. That's what I've been doing since Win98. If you hold CTRL while double-clicking a folder it opens in a new window.

On OSX however holding CTRL while clicking activates the context menu. So having a 1-button mouse is pretty inferior. Also in OSX ALT-C is copy as opposed to Windows where CTRL-C is copy. It's frustrating when I am using a Mac coz I have to remember that ALT is CTRL and vice versa, and that CTRL is right-click.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, September 13, 2006, 11:48:24 AM »
I knew about the keys, but I never use them, and I doubt most people do.  (Do they?)  Regardless, the behavior should be consistent for a simple drag-and-drop action.

So you get to use both kinds of systems regularly?  I can't remember touchin an Apple for at least 10 years.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, September 13, 2006, 12:30:08 PM »
I knew about the keys, but I never use them, and I doubt most people do.  (Do they?)  Regardless, the behavior should be consistent for a simple drag-and-drop action.

So you get to use both kinds of systems regularly?  I can't remember touchin an Apple for at least 10 years.
Well, I haven't used a mac in about a week. That was the last time I was in the lab or studio. My personal system is a PC, so I'm much more used to it. I can use a mac when I have to, it just takes a few minutes to adjust to the new environment :P