Author Topic: Brass Eye  (Read 4059 times)

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
Brass Eye
« on: Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 06:37:43 PM »
This is a spoof investigative/sensationalist journalism show here in the UK. It only had one run, simply because it was a case of once you knew the faces of the people involved you were going to be very careful in future.

The main idea of the show was to sideswipe at shows like Panorama (Or I guess Dateline in the US), and at the same time pull elaborate pranks on B-list celebrities to show how so-called "caring" people didn't give two shits to read up on what they'd been told to support.

Has anyone else seen it?
|

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Brass Eye
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 06:38:44 PM »
No, but it sounds bloody awesome.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 06:41:27 PM »
It's amazing, and downright hilarious. The topics include drugs, animal welfare and, my personal favourite, paedophilia.

"Is it any wonder we can no longer look at the British Isles without seeing "PAEDOPH" in front of it?"
|

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 07:35:44 PM »
yes, yes, yes! anything chris morris touches is gold in my opinion (apart from maybe "the IT crowd", which would be more of a silver).

the pedophile episode was classic. do you remember the fallout in the papers the next day? it was poking fun at the media, and they bit so hard - exactly the reaction that was trying to be provoked. brilliant. favourite part - "this pedophile has disguised himself as a school".

have you seen his horribly fucked up sketch show, "jam"? it's kind of comedy, but it's more just bizarre and twisted. my housemate bought the box set recently, and i couldn't sit through more than a couple of episodes. my mind felt utterly violated, but in a good way.

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 07:57:55 PM »
Jam was something else entirely. Terrifying.

I feel I should point out that Brass Eye came after The Day Today, which was poking fun at regular TV news - but before both, came On The Hour, a radio news spoof. This is currently being played on BBC7, and is thus currently available to listen to for free on the BBC site. Praise be!
|

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 08:04:50 PM »
the day today was excellent as well. alan partridge alone makes it worthy viewing.

never caught the hour, but seeing as it's freely available now, i might have to give it a go.

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 08:18:05 PM »
Not exactly freely available - on the BBC website you can listen to any show up to a week after it's been broadcast, so there's a new one up soonish.

Edit: Brass Eye on Wikipedia
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 17, 2007, 05:19:26 AM by NatchDan »
|

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Monday, May 21, 2007, 09:11:48 PM »
the day today was excellent as well. alan partridge alone makes it worthy viewing.

Is the guy who plays the role of Alan Partridge not the same actor who plays Tony Wilson in 24 Hour Party People?

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: Monday, May 21, 2007, 10:30:19 PM »
Is the guy who plays the role of Alan Partridge not the same actor who plays Tony Wilson in 24 Hour Party People?

indeed he is, the actor's name is steve coogan. he's been in quite a few films now, but the bit part he had in the day today led to his best work, with two separate tv series based around the character. both of which are superb, cringe-worthy television.

out of the various tv series mentioned in this thread now, brass eye is arguably the best though. i'm not entirely sure if north americans would really get it's humour, but i want to be proven wrong. you should take that as a challenge and hit up the torrent sites online retailers.

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2007, 06:44:35 AM »
2001 Special; subject: Paedophilia.

Part one
Part two
Part three
|

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2007, 10:40:43 AM »
"These people don't deserve punishment. They deserve GUN-ISHMENT"

HAHAHA
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2007, 12:26:19 PM »
Dude!! The guy who plays Shaun from Shaun of the Dead is in this!!!
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2007, 02:03:43 PM »
Also the guy who plays Brian in Spaced. A lot of British comedians worked with Chris Morris at some point.
|