Author Topic: Assassin's creed.  (Read 58762 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Assassin's creed.
« Reply #160 on: Tuesday, December 04, 2007, 11:30:25 PM »
Most probably.

Damn I am going to pay money to Ubisoft again, aren't I?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #161 on: Tuesday, December 04, 2007, 11:53:21 PM »
I'm confused, Pug.  It's like you were talking about AC then suddenly started talking about Bioshock?

Hard to say if the PC will get a special edition, though.  Seems lately a lot of these have been sort of spotty.  Some countries get them, some don't, some only get them for certain platforms and not others, and some stores get the exclusive rights to sell them.  It's honestly getting to be a bit of a headache.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #162 on: Tuesday, December 04, 2007, 11:55:21 PM »
Shouldn't every topic really be about Bioshock?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #163 on: Tuesday, December 04, 2007, 11:59:06 PM »
I've really been wanting to go back and play it again lately, but... ugh.  I wanted to wait until I got a new video card.  But it looks like that's pretty much a pipe dream now, so I may just go ahead and reinstall it now that my 300GB HDD is back and the new patch is coming out.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #164 on: Wednesday, December 05, 2007, 12:16:21 AM »
I'm confused, Pug.  It's like you were talking about AC then suddenly started talking about Bioshock?

Hard to say if the PC will get a special edition, though.  Seems lately a lot of these have been sort of spotty.  Some countries get them, some don't, some only get them for certain platforms and not others, and some stores get the exclusive rights to sell them.  It's honestly getting to be a bit of a headache.

;D ;D ;D

hahah...What the hell? Stupid brain tumor/

Let me explain...

Didn't get the Limited Edition but still want the little hardcover art book?  Somebody's ebaying them for 3 bucks a pop.  I'm tempted, but I'm also tempted to just buy the actual LE and sell my other copy to somebody.

Anybody here interested?

This is where I -- for some fucking reason -- thought your comment was regarding the art book for Bioshock. It could be because I had been obsessively been searching for Bioshock's LE online. It could also be that I was in that Bioshock thread as well, and got a weeeeee bit confused.

When I clicked your link, I still didn't get it. I thought maybe the guy was selling art books for many games, and you had linked the one to Assassin's creed by accident.

Can you still find the LE now?

By this, I was asking if you can still somehow find the LE for Bioshock in stores.

Yep I saw some at the store today; I didn't get the LE myself though when I bought it 3 weeks ago.

iPPi's answer surprised me.

How much is it going for these days?

Obviously I am talking about Bioshock.

Probably $69.99.  An extra ten bucks seems to be about the norm these days.

Yea here I thought you were talking Bioshock.

Shit. I want it so badly. To me that is easily worth the extra $20 or whatever.

If anyone is willing to ship to me, I'll pay via paypal for the CE of the game as well as registered express USPS mail.

Again since I don't have a 360, it wouldn't make sense for me to want it at all.

Just comparing to the Crysis sp ed., the Unreal tourney sp ed, the Hellgate London sp ed and the Quake Wars special ed... I find this to be the best of the bunch. The box is huge, and you've got a special metal case for the game and of course Mr.Bubbles:

This is in response to Que's comment that the Assassin's Creed LE doesn't look as good as I was making it out to be. Again I was talking about the Bioshock LE. :(

*cries*

Those were tears of joy when Cobra posted a pic of the Assassin's Creed LE. I still didn't realize we weren't talking about Bioshock's LE, and thought maybe Cobra was sharing what the Assassin's Creed LE would look like.

...Anyway... ahem....

I have a feeling that Assassin's Creed will get the LE for the PC, but we'll see. Anything is possible. Like my brain becoming worthless.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #165 on: Wednesday, December 05, 2007, 12:21:19 AM »
Beware that the "normal" LE has a 3" figurine.  The big 10-12" figurine in what I posted is allegedly part of some Asian release that is *supposed* to be region free.  Someone was selling one of those figures on eBay.  The bid or price was near $50, and I think that was just for the figure.  I really don't know what all is happening with these different versions.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #166 on: Wednesday, December 05, 2007, 12:49:52 AM »
I hate that.  They did so many versions of The Witcher, that got aggravating.  Still, I don't care about the figure that much.  Honestly, I don't care about any of it that much.  I just like the game so much it seems stupid to have the regular edition.  I may just content myself with that and the Prima art book, though.

Damn it, and that reminds me that I have to buy the Okami art book they released in English not so long ago.

Shit.  So poor...

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #167 on: Wednesday, December 05, 2007, 02:31:38 AM »
I know.  This game was the last big purchase I made.  It was a complete whim too.  Now I'm just running through the game.  I just climb and kill people.  I'm not even progressing the story line anymore.  I just pick fights now.  And climb on climb on.

Damnit...so poor.  And I just bought the Zim box set too!  Curses.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #168 on: Wednesday, December 05, 2007, 03:39:00 PM »

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #169 on: Wednesday, December 05, 2007, 08:57:47 PM »
I agree with the traveling between towns, that's really not fun if you really screw it up you'll have half the countryside chasing you into town!

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #170 on: Wednesday, December 05, 2007, 10:07:38 PM »
I agree with the traveling between towns, that's really not fun if you really screw it up you'll have half the countryside chasing you into town!

I don't mind... makes it fun to run and if you get knocked off to engage in combat with 2974145781924 guards.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #171 on: Wednesday, December 05, 2007, 10:14:15 PM »
Nice.  Very funny.  I disagree with him on several points, actually, primarily the combat.  I love the combat and think it's just swell.  It's one of my favorite parts of the game, even.  It isn't too perplexing or demanding on the whole, but I still fuck up enough to make it a challenge if I start to get lazy.  I don't mind the travel either.  It's a nice break.  I also disagree that it's really all that innovative.  It's a masterpiece in many regards, but for the most part it just does a lot of the same shit games like this have done for years.  What makes it so different is the way it's presented and how firmly it sticks to its convictions.  Well, and that makes it sound like I don't think it's innovative.  It is to a degree in certain specific ways, but on the whole I don't think that changes the overall formula all that much.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #172 on: Wednesday, December 05, 2007, 11:08:10 PM »
Traveling sucks!  >:( But it's my only hate about this game and even then to say it sucks is overstated!
The combat is pretty dam cool if done right you can lay waste to a dozen guards easy... what's not cool about that. And while I don't find the game repetitive I can see why some people would see it that way, the investigations are limited in their variety, but in context I don’t find it repetitive I don’t find it a problem.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #173 on: Wednesday, December 05, 2007, 11:12:06 PM »
I agree.  For me, I'm not concentrating on the action, I'm concentrating on what's being said.  It's very easy to not realize what's being talked about if you don't pay attention.

Also, I only just the other day realized you can open up the menu and actually see the maps you steal from people and read some extended info.  I had no idea.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #174 on: Thursday, December 06, 2007, 01:45:41 AM »
Relax about the travel.  As in other good exploration games, after you've done it all once in "the kingdom", you'll have the option to go straight to the towns whenever you exit one.  If you have a horse, they'll never catch you anyway.  Just stay away from their swords as you gallop by.  I kept a whole crowd going after me in a circle recently.  It was hilarious.

I laughed my butt off watching the ZP review.  I agree with most of it.  I take a lot of perverse pleasure in using my hidden blade on the damn assault beggars.  The crazy people and drunks are much less annoying.  They're easily avoidable most of the time.

The combat mechanic is OK.  My only big problem with it is moving while in combat mode.  If I push the stick in one direction, that means I want to move that way, and if I'm bending the damn stick with all my might, it means I want to move that way fast.  It's fine to have me auto-face the target, as long as I fucking move.  They need to get a clue from the 3D Zelda games.  Also breaking from combat should be a simple move, not a frustrating challenge.  Some of the groups you face later on get a lot tougher, and that's when these flaws will bother you more.

I'm poised now to go into the 8th assassination.  Each scenario has been unique in some way.  Any repetition complaints don't hold water in the main plotline, I don't think.  I didn't catch on about the extra maps and info until recently myself.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #175 on: Thursday, December 06, 2007, 03:43:31 AM »
I agree.  For me, I'm not concentrating on the action, I'm concentrating on what's being said.  It's very easy to not realize what's being talked about if you don't pay attention.

Also, I only just the other day realized you can open up the menu and actually see the maps you steal from people and read some extended info.  I had no idea.

Oh man I only found this out myself a few days ago... but I didn't find them too useful in my most recent mission in Acre (which was my last one to do in the city). But I felt a little stupid finding them a few days ago but really how should have I known?  :o

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #176 on: Thursday, December 06, 2007, 08:23:29 AM »
I was not aware you can look at the maps you steal.  Heh, in the end though it probably doesn't provide too much assistance, since I was able to do most of the game using stealth kills without the maps.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #177 on: Friday, December 07, 2007, 04:10:46 AM »
Well, hell.  I thought the game was awesome all the way to the end, including the end.  I figured they were setting up a sequel from everything that has been said.  Maybe it would have bothered me some had I not known.  There's no way I would have thought it made no sense, though.  If you pay close attention to the whole dual storyline, it makes perfect sense.  You need to be involved in the present as well as the past, even if the time spent in the present is much more brief.  You are not led by the hand in the present.  There are things you need to figure out.

There's a lot of heavy battling to get through as the game draws to a close, and I must admit I'm not good enough with the reflexes anymore.  I had to rely on a lot of sprinting in a circle to keep from getting killed.  I did it, though.  I got through the entire, er, plot past the known missions without dying once.  That made me feel better after dying like 5 times in a row during the 9th mission.  The continue point had me pop up with the short blade in the middle of a throng of heavy knights, with arrows flying past my ear.  Changing blades in the middle of combat is not easy.  (It should be.)

I think it's got to be the best experience I've had with a game in a long time.  It's definitely up there with Bioshock.  I thought I could wrap it up by a more decent hour, but there was a lot more to do than I thought.  Nobody give up on this.  See it all the way through.  Now, excuse me.  I think I'm going to go fall lifeless in bed.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #178 on: Friday, December 07, 2007, 08:18:41 AM »
Inspiring post, Cobra.  My issue now is that Aquaria releases today, and I've been wanting that really, really bad for about a year or so.  In any case, this weekend is going to be spent doing nothing but playing stuff in one capacity or another.  At least provided I don't decide to reformat my system......

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #179 on: Friday, December 07, 2007, 01:06:52 PM »
I should add that if this story is meant to be episodic, then at least the first episode is nicely self-contained.  The plot is nicely wrapped up, but as a result, new elements are revealed to you which must be tackled.  It doesn't end abruptly or unfairly.  There's no shortchanging on play time either, even without chasing the optional content.  There is no downside here.  I can't see owning a 360 and not having this game.  The detractors who can't think past some simpler game-design mold are doing their readers and the creators of this fabulous work a disservice.  Flaws are there, and some have frustrated the hell out of me on occasion.  It's a matter of weighing the good against the bad, and the enormous heaping of goodness trumps all else.  Just consider the achievement of realizing an ancient world in such detail, and then allowing you to own every corner of it.  That by itself beats the hell out of half the games I've played in my life.

I need to talk about those new elements I mentioned, but I can't do that without huge spoilers.  I don't recommend reading this until the game is put to bed.  And if you don't get the conversationalist achievement near the very end, then you missed something.  I don't know how much that matters, or how much you actually missed, though.

(click to show/hide)

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #180 on: Friday, December 07, 2007, 01:32:22 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #181 on: Friday, December 07, 2007, 01:37:35 PM »
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: Friday, December 07, 2007, 03:15:19 PM by Cobra951 »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #182 on: Friday, December 07, 2007, 02:56:09 PM »
Dammit, I see "spoiler" tags and this game ain't even on the PC, so I gotta' skip them... :(

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #183 on: Friday, December 07, 2007, 03:14:11 PM »
The game's ending is enigmatic.  iPPi linked an article that deciphers most of it.  I figured out most of it on my own.  (It's not rocket science.)  The specifics, including a head-slapping misstep of mine, are being discussed.  That's all you're missing.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #184 on: Saturday, December 08, 2007, 05:55:22 AM »
I am finishing this game this weekend gods damit, I've only got 2 targets to go.... and lots and lots of over time to do, but I'm finishing this game!

And at the same time I don't want to finish game  ???

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #185 on: Saturday, December 08, 2007, 09:35:32 AM »
So frustrated... I have both this and the Witcher to finish, and Aquaria is stealing me from both of them!  I really hope I don't get any PC games for Christmas (fortunately I almost never do) because these are three games I sincerely want to finish.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #186 on: Saturday, December 08, 2007, 08:31:12 PM »
94/100 Kingdom flags... don't know if I'll be able to find the last 6 without resorting to a guide or a map of some kind.  I've got about 45/60 templars as well.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #187 on: Saturday, December 08, 2007, 08:44:58 PM »
So frustrated... I have both this and the Witcher to finish, and Aquaria is stealing me from both of them!  I really hope I don't get any PC games for Christmas (fortunately I almost never do) because these are three games I sincerely want to finish.

Go finish Witcher and Assassin's now! :P

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #188 on: Saturday, December 08, 2007, 09:54:30 PM »
You're hardly one to talk, D.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #189 on: Saturday, December 08, 2007, 11:50:40 PM »
94/100 Kingdom flags... don't know if I'll be able to find the last 6 without resorting to a guide or a map of some kind.  I've got about 45/60 templars as well.

I'm at 96/100 kingdom flags, and I've pretty much given up.  It's going to take forever to find them honestly, then it will take forever to finish each of the cities the same way.  They need some sort of clue mechanism, like maybe have your Eagle vision see a special color glow after you're fully synched (20 life-line segments) even through walls.  I'm at 45 Templars myself.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #190 on: Sunday, December 09, 2007, 12:16:38 AM »
You're hardly one to talk, D.

Yeah shut your trap D.  ;D
Umm I take it when you 'finish' the game that there's no sandbox-ing after that which would mean I wouldn't be able to do everything.... dang.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #191 on: Sunday, December 09, 2007, 01:08:53 AM »
But his comment was so tongue in cheek. :P

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #192 on: Sunday, December 09, 2007, 01:25:30 AM »
Yeah shut your trap D.  ;D
Umm I take it when you 'finish' the game that there's no sandbox-ing after that which would mean I wouldn't be able to do everything.... dang.

You can still enter the world once you finish the game.  Don't worry.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #193 on: Sunday, December 09, 2007, 05:24:17 AM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #194 on: Thursday, December 13, 2007, 01:57:32 PM »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #195 on: Thursday, December 13, 2007, 02:37:33 PM »
Damn you.  Just 4 weeks to get to 2.5 million sold.

I'm so glad.  I think it's greatly deserved success.  I hope it snowballs from here, and we get great sequels.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #196 on: Friday, December 14, 2007, 01:07:23 AM »
Woah!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #197 on: Sunday, December 16, 2007, 10:53:21 AM »
Woah!

You sound like Keanu Reeves/Neo there...

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #198 on: Monday, December 17, 2007, 01:39:02 PM »
97/100 kingdom flags.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #199 on: Monday, December 17, 2007, 01:52:52 PM »