Author Topic: Stupid unwritable DVD-Rs  (Read 870 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Stupid unwritable DVD-Rs
« on: Monday, May 28, 2007, 08:39:54 PM »
Now I have to go out and buy a whole new spindle because not a single one of this last patch would burn. Nero and DVD Decrypter both refuse to burn, and its an error right away not like you get half-burns or anything. These look exactly like the last batch of Sony DVDs I bought which all worked fine, except now I notice they have an extra little "accucore" logo on them. No idea if whatever that is is causing it.

Blah...I'm trying to clear some HD space and used up my last spindle already! Damn you Sony!

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
Re: Stupid unwritable DVD-Rs
« Reply #1 on: Monday, May 28, 2007, 08:54:57 PM »
I had something similiar happen to me a while back, but then I realized the difference in batches was because the old one was DVD-R and the new one was DVD+R. My drive was supposed to handle the +R's just fine, but it didn't with these guys. The difference was, it would actually act like it was burning and then just sorta stop at 90% and refuse to move further or quit out. I bought a couple of the old DVD-R's a couple days later and those worked just fine.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Monday, May 28, 2007, 09:00:44 PM »
My drive has handled +R and -R just fine, to the point where I never bother to look at which one I'm buying. These are the "same" as the last batch I bought, -R, but I think its that "accucore" thing thats messing it up. That appears to be the only difference.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: Monday, May 28, 2007, 09:28:33 PM »
It's almost like the first generation of CD writters again. I remember my buddy was all into copying CDs when writters were just hitting the market and it was almost a crap shoot if a batch of blanks would work or not.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, May 29, 2007, 04:50:08 AM »
I have had pretty good luck with recordable media over the years.  The only real problems I've had were with a spindle of Prime Peripherals CD-Rs where the labels (and the data contained on the underside) would start peeling off after about a year.