Author Topic: Countries that have not adopted the metric system  (Read 5076 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Countries that have not adopted the metric system
« on: Monday, June 18, 2007, 10:06:01 PM »

AMERICA, FUCK YEAH!

Offline Antares

• Veteran
Re: Countries that have not adopted the metric system
« Reply #1 on: Monday, June 18, 2007, 10:38:22 PM »
Think Metric!

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Monday, June 18, 2007, 10:57:09 PM »
Retards.   

But at least you don't still use Stone to measure weight.  Fuck you Ireland, Scotland, and lower class England.

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #3 on: Monday, June 18, 2007, 10:59:20 PM »
Makes us sound lighter.
|

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Monday, June 18, 2007, 11:03:14 PM »
Retards.   

But at least you don't still use Stone to measure weight.  Fuck you Ireland, Scotland, and lower class England.

who you calling lower class? anyway, we still use imperial for loads of stuff - miles, inches, pints, etc. officially we're metric, because the rest of the eu is and we're meant to conform, but nobody really pays attention to it.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Monday, June 18, 2007, 11:03:59 PM »
Whatever freak.  You guys are just pissed that you lost all your colonies.  We shall never forget your tyrannical rule.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: Monday, June 18, 2007, 11:08:43 PM »
hey, we let you have them. australia's just a huge fucking desert in the middle of an ocean, india's too hot and who the fuck wants to be canadian anyway? we've still got the only one that counts, the falklands. oh yeah.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Monday, June 18, 2007, 11:13:11 PM »

Well played. 

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #8 on: Monday, June 18, 2007, 11:31:09 PM »
hey, we let you have them. australia's just a huge fucking desert in the middle of an ocean, india's too hot and who the fuck wants to be canadian anyway? we've still got the only one that counts, the falklands. oh yeah.

My dad just called you a genius.
|

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2007, 07:00:10 AM »
I don't understand why it's so hard to convert to the metric system.  I mean everyone else did it.  They teach it in school.  All they have to do is start posting the signs in both and then on some mandated date take down all the imperial measurement signs.

I mean look how fast bilingual signs have popped up in the U.S.  Why can't it be that way for the metric system?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2007, 01:56:22 PM »
I'm all for phasing it in over 20 years or so.  The problem is that the political staying power in this country seldom exceeds 8 years.  I think in inches, miles and pounds.  I can convert mentally, but it's still an extra step.  I could care less about gallons or liters.  Don't rip me off any worse at the gas pump, and you can use whatever units you want.  Teach the kids nothing but metric, and make everything have both systems until we old folks die off.  Then bury the Imperial stuff for good.

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2007, 02:48:00 PM »
That is really the way to do it.  There is also no need to make the whole process a big publicity stunt.  Do it quietly and nobody will notice.  Kids nowadays use metric almost exclusively in science and math.  As a result I have no problem with metric when it comes to that kind of stuff. My only problem would be when it comes to driving and large distances.  I have no idea how fast I should be going in km/hr, and if you started charging me per liter at the gas pump I'd be a little lost.

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2007, 10:31:22 PM »
Phun Phacts!

In Liberia, their system of weights is based on the chicken. In Myanmar, it is based on the donkey.

Ha ha, but seriously folks, Liberia and Myanmar have vibrant, fascinating cultures, probably. Cultures that I know nothing about, and that I have no interest in learning about.

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2007, 04:11:31 AM »
I love that macro.
|

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2007, 06:33:31 AM »
That is really the way to do it.  There is also no need to make the whole process a big publicity stunt.  Do it quietly and nobody will notice.  Kids nowadays use metric almost exclusively in science and math.  As a result I have no problem with metric when it comes to that kind of stuff. My only problem would be when it comes to driving and large distances.  I have no idea how fast I should be going in km/hr, and if you started charging me per liter at the gas pump I'd be a little lost.

Yeah, that's it.  I know in my gut that 60 mph is a very reasonable speed on an open road, and triple digits kick in some adrenalin.  In kph, a lot is literally lost in translation.  If miles per gallon becomes kilometers per liter, I'd have no idea if my car needs work or not, without conversion.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2007, 07:54:18 AM »
"The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that's the way I likes it!"
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2007, 08:10:47 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, water's freezing point at 0 degrees makes perfect sense.

I don't get Fahrenheit: water freezes at 32 degrees?? Why 32?! It's just so arbitrary!

Offline DrSbaitso

« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2007, 08:34:18 AM »
"The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that's the way I likes it!"

You like getting 0.002 miles per gallon? ;)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2007, 10:49:51 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, water's freezing point at 0 degrees makes perfect sense.

I don't get Fahrenheit: water freezes at 32 degrees?? Why 32?! It's just so arbitrary!

I didn't know either, so I looked it up.  Look under "History".  Weird, and interesting.  Celsius/Centigrade definitely makes more sense, with its 100-degree spread between freezing and boiling water (ice to steam).

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2007, 01:08:33 PM »
Well Celcius is based on the state of water.  That's pretty arbitrary as well.  It could be based on anything.

In any case, I think a lot of Americans sort of understand Celcius.  Not like the back of their hand like Farhenheit, but well enough to be able to figure it out.  I mean I think everyone pretty much knows that water freezes at 0 degrees C and boils at 100 degrees C and that 20 degrees C is a comfortable room temperature.

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2007, 03:19:00 PM »
If you really want to pick a scale that isn't based on something arbitrary you'd have to use degrees Kelvin since it is based on an absolute.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2007, 05:29:46 PM »
Even Kelvin is based on something arbitrary.  In Kelvin's case, it's based on the temperature at matter doesn't emit or absorb energy.  I think particles supposedly stop vibrating at this temperature, even.

Something I just found out:  There is a special Unicode character that denotes the Kelvin sign.  It's not just a capital K.  It's only like a captial K.  Here it is:  K

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2007, 06:39:40 PM »
So I haven't added anything, but all I can really say is that I couldn't possibly care any less.  I don't say this with malice... it just honestly doesn't matter to me on any level.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2007, 08:37:51 PM »
Even Kelvin is based on something arbitrary.  In Kelvin's case, it's based on the temperature at matter doesn't emit or absorb energy.  I think particles supposedly stop vibrating at this temperature, even.
Absolute zero is the temperature at which molecules aren't moving relative to each other. In other words, absolute zero denotes the total absence of heat. That's hardly "arbitrary."

The only thing about the Kelvin scale that's arbitrary is the "width" of a degree - it's one hundredth the temperature change necessary to bring pure liquid water from its freezing point to its boiling point (at one atmosphere of pressure).

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2007, 09:18:51 PM »
When I'm saying arbitrary, I'm just referring to the following:  You can make a temperature scale based upon all kinds of stuff.  Some scales use the state of water (Celcius), others might have been based on the coldest temperature recorded by an individual in a given winter and his own body temperature (Farhenheit), others might be based on the freezing point of brine (Rømer).  Kelvin just chooses to set itself to the lowest possible temperature and start from there.

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2007, 09:54:29 PM »
When I'm saying arbitrary, I'm just referring to the following:  You can make a temperature scale based upon all kinds of stuff.
Sure, just like a ruler doesn't have to start at 0. It could start at 8 inches or 444 millimeters, instead.
Some scales use the state of water (Celcius), others might have been based on the coldest temperature recorded by an individual in a given winter and his own body temperature (Farhenheit), others might be based on the freezing point of brine (Rømer).  Kelvin just chooses to set itself to the lowest possible temperature and start from there.
"Temperature" is a well-defined physical concept with a logical "starting" point. By definition, that point is not arbitrary (except in a very particular mathematical sense of the word "arbitrary").

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2007, 11:08:01 PM »
"Temperature" is a well-defined physical concept with a logical "starting" point. By definition, that point is not arbitrary (except in a very particular mathematical sense of the word "arbitrary").
Yes. But the scales used to measure temperature can use any point of reference one wishes. In Kelvin's case it is absolute zero. For other scales it is not.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2007, 11:32:31 PM »
I like Celsius. That is all.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, June 21, 2007, 02:55:10 AM »
Celsius is what I'm used to and it makes the most sense (relatively). I respect Kelvin though.

"Kelvin" always reminds me of MechWarrior 2 Mercs, when the heat would rise and the on-board computer speaks out "Heat: ## Kelvin."

In the end I think we can all agree that Cold is simply the absence of Heat.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, June 21, 2007, 10:18:11 AM »
Yeah, that's why there is an absolute lowest temperature.  Cold does not really exist.  Only heat does.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #30 on: Thursday, June 21, 2007, 12:44:03 PM »
Who the fuck cares about the USA's use of the metric system... if that was the only backwards, fucked up thing about that retarded country then I could see getting in a fuss over it. As it is, human rights violations, civil liberty curtailment, and the dire need for armed violent revolution all rank higher.

that is all
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #31 on: Thursday, June 21, 2007, 12:46:18 PM »
Hi Kams. Welcome back.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, June 21, 2007, 01:37:07 PM »
dire need for armed violent revolution?

kinda strong...

Is the metric system fully adopted anywhere? Everywhere I know of people use feet and inches to measure height. Maybe not officially, but in practicality.

Offline DrSbaitso

« Reply #33 on: Thursday, June 21, 2007, 03:10:32 PM »
Yeah, pretty much everywhere in Europe people use cm for height.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, June 21, 2007, 05:16:36 PM »
I agree with Kams.  Lynch mobs for metric!!

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #35 on: Friday, June 22, 2007, 09:35:24 AM »
Who the fuck cares about the USA's use of the metric system... if that was the only backwards, fucked up thing about that retarded country then I could see getting in a fuss over it. As it is, human rights violations, civil liberty curtailment, and the dire need for armed violent revolution all rank higher.

that is all

yes!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #36 on: Sunday, June 24, 2007, 07:02:08 AM »
Welcome back Kams :D Awesome entrance! :)