Author Topic: Girl gets guts sucked out by pool drain. Didn't we read this before?  (Read 1229 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Girl gets guts sucked out by pool drain. Didn't we read this before?
« on: Friday, July 06, 2007, 10:14:57 PM »
Weird.  Yes, we read it before.  Short story by the guy that wrote Fight Club.  I think Kams posted it once?  Somehow I don't think any of us actually thought it was physically possible when we read it, but... well, apparently it is.

God.  That sucks.

... and I totally don't mean that as a pun.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
Re: Girl gets guts sucked out by pool drain. Didn't we read this before?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, July 07, 2007, 02:15:22 AM »
Holy crap, that fucking sucks.  After reading Guts I was always curious if this was possible.

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
Re: Girl gets guts sucked out by pool drain. Didn't we read this before?
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, July 07, 2007, 02:47:53 AM »
Apparently this stuff has happened before, but I never knew Chuck Palahniuk had written a short story about it. (Mind you, I am in no way surprised that Chuck Palahniuk would write about this.)
Quote from: TFA
Her father, Scott Taylor, told WCCO-TV that the suction caused a 2-inch tear in Abigail's rectum and pulled out much of her small intestine. Doctors had to remove the part of her intestines that remained, the family's lawyer, Bob Bennett, told the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

"This could literally be happening if you're holding your child's hand," said Bennett. "These filtration systems are meant to be covered and secure. You don't think the filtration system will literally tear your organs from your body, and it's not a risk your child would understand."
I understand that there will be serious medical bills and I understand the golf club probably has real liability in this situation, but it sends a chill down my spine that the family already has a lawyer making statements like this.