Author Topic: "What Movies Have You Seen Lately?" Thread  (Read 198945 times)

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
Re: "What Movies Have You Seen Lately?" Thread
« Reply #560 on: Thursday, January 10, 2013, 01:08:15 PM »
Nice try Pyro.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #561 on: Thursday, January 10, 2013, 11:48:11 PM »

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #562 on: Friday, January 11, 2013, 10:42:38 AM »
I saw Dredd the other night and it was pretty awesome. I think the most interesting thing about it was how lean it was. There was very little in the movie that didn't serve the immediate story and it manages to make a little dialog go a long way. It also did a great job of making Dredd and his partner cool characters that walked the line between hard ass future cops and actual people. It's totally something, to me, that ranks up there with action movies that aren't just fun but actually good.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #563 on: Friday, January 11, 2013, 10:48:11 AM »
Dredd was, I don't know, claustrophobic?  I liked it well enough, I guess.  I'm one of the 3 people who actually liked the original with Stallone.  I wanted to see a grand setting like that here, and got a shuttered building instead.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #564 on: Friday, January 11, 2013, 10:53:25 AM »
Dredd was, I don't know, claustrophobic?  I liked it well enough, I guess.  I'm one of the 3 people who actually liked the original with Stallone.  I wanted to see a grand setting like that here, and got a shuttered building instead.
That was my initial reaction too! I still enjoyed it though.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #565 on: Friday, January 11, 2013, 11:31:53 AM »
Yeah, I enjoyed it as well. I kind of liked how it was set in the future but the tech (guns, etc.) looked modern and not cartoonish like in the Stallone movie.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #566 on: Saturday, January 12, 2013, 08:10:06 AM »
Ted - One word describes this movie for me: hysterical.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #567 on: Saturday, January 12, 2013, 04:21:39 PM »
I started to watch Ted a few weeks ago, and never finished.  Once the odd premise became old hat on both sides of the screen, the whole thing went into rom-com doldrums, and lost my interest.  Even Mila couldn't hold it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #568 on: Saturday, January 12, 2013, 08:16:10 PM »

Are you considering me in the "3 people" who liked the Stallone & Diane Lane version of Judge Dredd?
I actually liked it, too.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #569 on: Saturday, January 12, 2013, 08:41:53 PM »
Heheh!  I guess so.  Maybe I exaggerated.  Maybe there were 3 dozen people that liked the movie.   :P

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #570 on: Saturday, January 12, 2013, 09:11:19 PM »
I liked it too.  It was campy (especially the props!) but it had a certain charm.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #571 on: Saturday, February 02, 2013, 04:11:24 PM »
Seven Psychopaths - Pretty good. It was very well-acted, well-written & a hilarious deconstruction of many of those type of action films (about hitmen).

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #572 on: Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 11:49:35 AM »
X-Men: First Class: I was expecting something along X-Men Origins: Wolverine but it ended up being much better. The main actors that played Prof X (James McAvoy) and Magneto (Michael Fassbender) were amazing and the plot wasn't too bad. I enjoyed it a lot more than the mess The Avengers was. My only negative was that pretty much all the extra mutants were utterly useless, even Mystique (Jennifer Lawrence - she must've gotten really good to earn an Oscar considering how fucking bad she was in this and the Hunger Games).

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #573 on: Tuesday, August 13, 2013, 01:18:36 PM »
I was really in the mood for an animated show so I finally started watching Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends. That show is absolutely adorable.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #574 on: Tuesday, August 13, 2013, 01:35:46 PM »
Oh god I hate that fucking show.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #575 on: Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 12:08:32 PM »
The World's End.  I read nothing on it ahead of time, and had no ideas what to expect.  That was the perfect way to watch this.  It really threw me for a loop.  Later, I realized the pedigree of the film.  Just watch it.  Even the credits song is awesome.  No preconceived notions, for best effect.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #576 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 03:07:10 PM »
Shadow Dancer
The Place Beyond The Pines
The Reluctant Fundamentalist
Star Trek Into Darkness

First 3 movies were pretty good.
About Star Trek Into Darkness - it was good, but nothing great. The action was awesome and much better than the actual story itself.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #577 on: Thursday, September 19, 2013, 08:36:25 AM »
What, you didn't like The Return of the Return of Khan?  So creative, and original too!  :P  Destroyed more Star Trek canon, but I guess that's expected now.

I just watched This Is the End (not to be confused with my last post--what is it with movie themes and names being so similar every so often?).  Taking about 15 minutes of Saturday-Night-Live-skit-quality material out of it would make it so much better.  It's worth a watch regardless.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #578 on: Monday, October 07, 2013, 07:13:27 AM »
I saw Gravity over the weekend in 3D.  I actually liked it quite a bit, but that was mostly because of the decent acting from the
(click to show/hide)
actors in the movie and the great depiction of zero gravity and space.  In a way, it reminded me a bit of 2012 in the sense that one the stuff hits the fan, there is a rapid fire of one calamity after another.  The good news here is that John Cusack isn't in the movie.

One complaint is that it is a rather short movie, though you don't really realize how short until it is over.  I mean this in the sense that the events in the movie sucked me in completely and when it was over you just realized that it was a short duration that all those events took place in.
« Last Edit: Monday, October 07, 2013, 08:11:34 AM by idolminds »

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #579 on: Monday, October 07, 2013, 02:34:39 PM »
I lost all interest in Gravity the minute I heard Sandra Bullock's voice in the trailer. Yes, she's a great actress, but man did she sound annoying as hell. Then recently I read that the movie is absolutely beautiful but lacks depth beyond the graphics (cliche plot, no character arcs, etc.) and is basically a tech demo that in the hands of someone who knows how to write an actual story would've been a truly revolutionary movie. Which is surprising to me considering how good Children of Men was.

tl;dr - Sanda Bullock has an annoying voice.

---

Anyway, two long movies I watched recently:

The Hobbit - I actually liked it and stayed interested till the end even though I can't stand long movies these days. I wasn't sure how they could make such a short book into 3 movies, but having watched the first part I'm actually excited for the remaining 2 because I'm a sucker for details and good movie music.

Cloud Atlas - Another long movie and I sort of enjoyed it. Sort of because I found the theme ultimately really naive. I was actually hoping there would be more to it, some kind of connection between all the stories that wasn't as predictable as it ended up being. Maybe it was just too ambitious of a story to fit into 3 hours. Either way, I still found it intersting and will probably enjoy it more when I watch it again at some point. Then again, 3 hours, gah...

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #580 on: Tuesday, October 08, 2013, 06:57:32 AM »
Elysium was a huge disappointment.  Very neat idea, even if some of it seems lifted right out of Mass Effect.  But the plot holes, the completely unbelievable developments (and I don't mean the sci-fi--that's fine) and degrading from an intriguing setup into a villain-centric caricature totally destroys it.  Jodie Foster must kick herself every day for letting someone talk her into that role.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #581 on: Tuesday, October 08, 2013, 07:53:23 AM »
I saw Elysium too and agree that it was not good.  I think what really ruined it for me was the villian-centric nature of it as well, especially with Sharlto Copley playing a supposed badass.  I just couldn't buy into that character at all after his role in District 9.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #582 on: Friday, October 11, 2013, 02:01:25 PM »
I watched Kurosawa's Ran the other night.  My first Kurosawa film.  Happened to see it on-demand.

It was excellent.  Looking forward to getting around to watching the movies of his I actually own.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #583 on: Wednesday, October 16, 2013, 07:32:27 PM »
I saw After Earth.  Don't ask me why.  I definitely cannot give an acceptable answer.  Anyway it is horrible and don't watch it.  This sums it up nicely.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #584 on: Thursday, October 17, 2013, 04:32:39 AM »
Nice.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline ender

« Reply #585 on: Thursday, October 17, 2013, 06:39:33 AM »
Last I saw was Gravity. I loved it. I think the truly important thing here is how it uses new technology to re-imagine how we can tell cinema. It is a simple story, but the way in which it is told creates an entirely different experience than a typical survival/action film. For me, it was a breath of fresh air.

Tonight I'm going to see 12 Years a Slave, the new film by british video artist and film director Steve McQueen... looks incredible. I was a huge fan of Hunger and Shame, McQueen's previous two films so really looking forward to this one.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #586 on: Thursday, October 31, 2013, 10:53:12 AM »
Pacific Rim - I liked it. I'm not a huge anime fan but I've always had a thing for giant mechs and to me the movie felt like it stayed true to the genre. Having said that, I kind of wish it had avoided some of the typical cliches, both of the genre and Hollywood blockbusters in general. My biggest complaint would be that while I enjoyed most of it, I was never drawn into the world completely. I just didn't feel the tension or the desperation in the characters or the sense that the world was really coming to an end and these mechs were the last hope for humanity.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #587 on: Sunday, November 03, 2013, 11:23:18 AM »
Last I saw was Gravity. I loved it. I think the truly important thing here is how it uses new technology to re-imagine how we can tell cinema. It is a simple story, but the way in which it is told creates an entirely different experience than a typical survival/action film. For me, it was a breath of fresh air.

I watched Gravity twice and want to go see it again. It's also the first time I've ever liked (or even been able to stomach) a 3D movie. Can't recommend this one enough.

Also Sandra Bullock is a slamming hottie.

Offline ender

« Reply #588 on: Sunday, November 03, 2013, 05:16:05 PM »
Agreed. When Sandra Bullock slips out of that space suit, yowzers.

Okay. Updates. Two weeks ago I saw 12 Years a Slave. This might be the best film I've seen all year. Though it completely destroyed me. I left an emotional mess. That never happens, but this movie really hit me hard. Amazing all around.

Saw Ender's Game today. It wasn't bad. Actually, it got a lot of things right. Though it does feel very compressed. It also doesn't have time to develop the bond between Ender and the crew. Kind of disappointing on a character level, but the kids acting is pretty good. Harrison Ford, I think, is a smart choice -- he brings a certain warmth to Graff, as well as a certain viscous determination. The guy is old, but he's still a commanding presence on screen. Surprised how dark it was for a movie that had a lot of younger kids in the theater. Some of the kid-on-kid violence is left in the movie, though I wish it was explored further and had more weight.

Overall, and OKAY movie. It stuck pretty close to the book as well as it could. I just wish it had more. Maybe a mini series was a better idea for this material? Either way, it seems they might be able to set it up for Speaker for the Dead, which I was also surprised about. Though I am not sure how that film could ever be made.

I will say, I was entertained and the zero G scenes are pretty. Though it doesn't spend enough time in battle school.

Ah well. Not the disaster I thought it would be. A little icey on the likability side sometimes, but this seems to be the general vibe when handling super intelligent children in films.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #589 on: Tuesday, February 18, 2014, 08:47:39 PM »
I saw Rush on the flight out to L.A.  I enjoyed it quite a bit.  I don't have much more to say about it than that, sorry.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 09:07:47 AM by scottws »

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #590 on: Tuesday, February 25, 2014, 12:18:35 PM »
Last week I watched Taken and Taken 2. It's like Jason Bourne got older and grumpier. 1st one was definitely fun as long as you don't think too much about it, the 2nd stretched the concept of "taken" a bit too far.

This week I've started watching older stuff:

A Beautiful Mind: Not sure why I never watched it. I liked it. Solid acting and I love Jennifer Connelly <3.

Chocolat: Subtle and cute. Really enjoyed it. One of those movies that made me go "ah, beautiful day" when I woke up the next day. Juliette Binoche is awesome as always.

Dances with Wolves: I was too young when it came out and I probably would've found it boring. Now that I have seen it, man, such a beautiful setting and cinematography. I can't say I *loved* Costner's performance (I hated the tone of his narration), but the movie itself is definitely touching. Not really something I'd watch any day because of the length, but worth it for the costumes and locations. Sigh... Avatar... you could've been so much more.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #591 on: Sunday, March 02, 2014, 12:46:33 PM »
I watched Knights of Badassdom. It's as silly as it sounds. It's not to be taken seriously but it's a fun movie!

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #592 on: Friday, March 28, 2014, 11:10:55 PM »
Red Boxed Gravity, I mostly agree with the pros and cons of this one. It was a bit less realistic than I was expecting, but again the filming of it was really beautiful and fascinating, probably would have looked much better seeing it in a theater. Also George Clooney's character bugged me the most, I don't know if I'd call it "acting" as it was just Clooney being Clooney in space... or fuck it, not even space, his acting was like he was on set in front of a green screen because he virtually had no reaction to anything happening, he was just there being all nonchalant Clooney.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #593 on: Saturday, March 29, 2014, 09:38:32 AM »
Snowpiercer--gripping, weird sort-of sci-fi.  Well put together and acted.  It hasn't been released yet officially here.  I recommend watching it without reading much about it, see what you think.  Basic premise is a train constantly circumnavigating the globe on a frozen, post-apocalyptic Earth, carrying the remnants of humanity.  Not believable as science, but I don't think that's its aim.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #594 on: Sunday, March 30, 2014, 10:37:09 PM »
Been getting back into movies recently. Watched American Hustle, Captain Phillips, and Rush. All were very good.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #595 on: Tuesday, April 01, 2014, 11:09:43 AM »
I saw the 2nd Hunger Games movie - Catching Fire - recently.  I must say that, except for the implausible "Make sure they believe you are head-over-heels in love with one another" command from President Snow and the song-and-dance related to the characters trying to fill that promise, I enjoyed the movie a great deal.  The acting was, for the most part, very good and the events were highly engrossing.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #596 on: Monday, August 18, 2014, 09:49:45 AM »
I just watched a Mojo top 10 video on Youtube listing the top 10 Sci-Fi movies. On that list was The Toxic Avenger. I decided to look it up.

Wow.

It is a wacky movie to say the least ;D

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #597 on: Monday, August 18, 2014, 09:55:27 AM »
How did that make any top ten movies list other than something like "Top Ten Movies Just As Bad As Sharknado".

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #598 on: Monday, August 18, 2014, 09:58:16 AM »
How did that make any top ten movies list other than something like "Top Ten Movies Just As Bad As Sharknado".
I have no idea. The list was specifically top 10 sci-fi movies "with a cult following." Apparently, this movie has a cult following.

It's a.. just.. uh.. I have no words to describe it.

You can get a good laugh out of how bad it is :D

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #599 on: Monday, August 18, 2014, 10:02:13 AM »
Ah, you didn't mention the "with a cult following" part.  The Room also has a cult following.  It's also one of the worst movies ever made, much worse than The Toxic Avenger or Sharknado.