Author Topic: "What Movies Have You Seen Lately?" Thread  (Read 199090 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: "What Movies Have You Seen Lately?" Thread
« Reply #480 on: Sunday, March 06, 2011, 10:27:29 PM »

It's basically Independence Day, Cloverfield and District 9 in one movie. Without actually getting any part right. I did like the alien designs and to be honest it got interesting in the very last 5 minutes. They should've just started the movie from that point instead of leaving it a cliffhanger.

Until your "Without actually....right" bit, I was thinking how it sounded like an incredible flick.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #481 on: Thursday, March 10, 2011, 09:52:34 AM »
I saw Toy Story 3. It wasn't bad, but overhyped. Best picture? Come on.

Don't get me wrong, it was pretty good... but I think Toy Story 2 was quite a bit funnier.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #482 on: Thursday, March 10, 2011, 11:39:34 AM »
Saw Ultraviolet.  Can there be a worse movie?  I don't know, but it doesn't seem possible.  This thing makes Aeon Flux look like movie of the century in comparison.  It is that bad.  No, it is worse.  It is so bad that it is impossible to describe just how bad it is, at least in English.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #483 on: Thursday, March 10, 2011, 01:45:17 PM »
That was one of the few movies that was so bad I didnt even bother to finish it.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #484 on: Thursday, March 10, 2011, 03:02:11 PM »
Green Hornet is worse.  What, Will Ferrel isn't available?  Let's find a dude who takes his irritating persona to new depths, and pair him with a deadpan Asian who can barely enunciate.  Add a brain-dead plot and impossible stunts.  Voila!  The worst superhero movie yet, and I'm including all the camp and corn from ages past.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #485 on: Thursday, March 10, 2011, 03:13:12 PM »
I love Seth Rogen.  There is no way I would find Green Hornet worse, though I admit that it doesn't look very enjoyable.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #486 on: Wednesday, March 16, 2011, 11:39:52 AM »
Watched the King's Speech. It was good but really long and drawn out.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #487 on: Saturday, March 26, 2011, 10:42:21 AM »
The Tourist - Has to be one of the worst films I've seen this year on DVD.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #488 on: Saturday, March 26, 2011, 09:33:01 PM »
I saw "The Fighter".

This movie is one of the most awesome true stories ever told. You will tear up. DO NOT MISS IT.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #489 on: Sunday, March 27, 2011, 03:41:22 PM »
yeah, i just finished watching the fighter a few minutes ago. fantastic. bale's performance is superb - possibly the best of his career.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #490 on: Sunday, March 27, 2011, 09:44:49 PM »
Yea I have to agree. It is amazing how much this guy changes his physique for every role.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #491 on: Saturday, April 02, 2011, 03:54:05 PM »
Fair Game (2010)
The Next Three Days

Both were pretty good.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #492 on: Saturday, April 02, 2011, 10:46:23 PM »
Just watched Battle: Los Angeles. I liked it. It was pretty especially engrossing since I'm also currently Crysis 2!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #493 on: Sunday, April 03, 2011, 03:44:43 PM »
Chloe

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #494 on: Sunday, April 03, 2011, 04:48:08 PM »
The Other Guys; nothing special.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #495 on: Sunday, April 03, 2011, 06:42:11 PM »
I thought The Other Guys was hilarious.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #496 on: Monday, April 04, 2011, 01:51:50 PM »
I thought The Other Guys was hilarious.

Aim for the bushes!
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #497 on: Thursday, April 07, 2011, 06:51:24 PM »
Just watched Battle: Los Angeles. I liked it. It was pretty especially engrossing since I'm also currently Crysis 2!

I had passed on this earlier, thinking it would be no better than Skyline.  I was wrong.  Damn!  That was one engrossing long fight.  Nice cast, decent acting, good visuals.  Thanks for the heads up.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #498 on: Thursday, April 07, 2011, 11:34:38 PM »
Saw Ultraviolet.  Can there be a worse movie?  I don't know, but it doesn't seem possible.  This thing makes Aeon Flux look like movie of the century in comparison.  It is that bad.  No, it is worse.  It is so bad that it is impossible to describe just how bad it is, at least in English.

The special effects in that movie are so unbelievably terrible that it's sad. I've never seen anything that amateurish in terms of special effects.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #499 on: Friday, April 08, 2011, 10:46:11 AM »
Red - Weeeee!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #500 on: Wednesday, April 13, 2011, 10:19:26 PM »
Avatar - Overall I found myself entertained, though you basically know whats going to happen before it happens the entire time. Very pretty, and I imagine more so on Bluray.

Most of my complaints are probably kinda nitpicky and specific to my tastes.  It was on the long side and they could have cut an hour out of the thing with no loss of actual content if they would just knock it off with the long "OMG Look how 3D this is!" establishing shots. That seems to be an issue in a lot of 3D movies, which is why I hope they die soon.

The actual CGI was good and believable for the most part, but still stubs its toe in the uncanny valley from time to time. Some things that just aren't quite right and my brain picks up on it instantly going "Oh yeah, this is fake".

That also sort of ties into one thing that bothers me for some reason: fake creatures. I like imaginary creatures but some of them just hit a certain level of fake that I can't seem to ignore. Why did the "horses" and "panthers" have 6 legs? It just seemed like "Ok, they ride horse-like creatures. But we can't just make fancy horses. They have to be alien! I know...give em an extra set of legs!" The flying creatures worked because they made sense, clinging to cliff walls and stuff. I can imagine the evolutionary path there (they were basically bat/lizards). I just like more thought going into creatures, how they fit together and why they evolved they way they did. If you can come up with a coherent ecosystem then I get way more into it.

But then I realize I'm bitching about that in a universe where everyone has a cross-species link cable.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #501 on: Thursday, April 14, 2011, 12:19:39 AM »
It did bother me a bit that the whole Pandoran animal kingdom was 6-limbed, except for the Na'vi.  Here's a lot more detail than I went into when I was thinking about it:

Avatar's 'Walking with hexapods' or 'Don't walk this way'

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #502 on: Thursday, April 14, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »
I would have completely different reactions to both Avatar and Inception if I hadn't watched them in the theater with fun people (and those are the only two movies in the past year or so that I've done so for). Both story lines were completely predictable, but there was plenty of action and the entertainment was there. Had I seen them alone, I would have not liked them nearly as much.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #503 on: Friday, April 15, 2011, 06:35:39 AM »
I saw Avatar in the theater, twice.  It was truly visually stunning.  That said, as a movie it is nothing special and I have no desire to see it again.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #504 on: Saturday, April 30, 2011, 06:04:48 PM »
Black Swan - Wow...this movie was something else. It was really good, though.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #505 on: Sunday, May 01, 2011, 12:02:07 AM »
Black Swan - great movie and excellent performance by Natalie Portman.
The Roommate - utter garbage.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #506 on: Thursday, May 19, 2011, 10:35:48 PM »
Tron: Legacy - Its all dark and glowy. I liked it. Makes me want to install and play Tron 2.0.

The Fantastic Mr. Fox - A surprise and really fun movie. I loved the cuss out of it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #507 on: Friday, May 20, 2011, 12:27:11 AM »
Watched Across the Hall, The Lovely Bones, Mulholland Drive, The Ghost Writer, Cold Souls, and Brick.

Brick I'd already seen. I love that movie so hard.

Mulholland Drive is David Lynch acting like David Lynch. It had been forever since I'd seen it so I snagged it super cheap at a sale. The naked lesbians are for idol. Everything else is just for me.

Across the Hall turned out to be a decent little thriller with a few good twists. Not the best movie ever, but it was worth watching.

The Ghost Writer was a compelling watch with a pretty shitty ending. One of those things that could have satisfied if it had tried a little harder, but somebody clearly had no idea how to end their story, that or they just decided what they did would be powerful or poignant or something, but they didn't guess right. Still a pretty good flick on the whole.

Cold Souls was good dark humor with a lot of heart and a little bit of niche film atmosphere. It was certainly original, and well worth watching.

The Lovely Bones was the biggest surprise for me. I really didn't know what to expect, exactly, but it turned out to be nothing like what I thought it would be. It surprised in a lot of good ways and was a lot artsier and more introspective than I thought it was going to be. Some of this didn't work quite as well as it should have, and it did have to sacrifice some character depth at times and, oddly enough, shove its main characters a little further from the forefront in order to do what it wanted to do, but it was unique and fairly well carried off.

Still to go: Big Man Japan and The Orphanage.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #508 on: Friday, May 20, 2011, 02:11:23 AM »
Hmm, I haven't watched Mulholland Drive, I think I'll check it out.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #509 on: Friday, May 20, 2011, 10:27:08 AM »
FYI: It was suppose to be a pilot for a show, as I understand it, and wasn't picked up so they made it a movie, and that's why there's so much that goes on that isn't explained at all or doesn't go anywhere. If you aren't a fan of Lynch (or even if you are, I guess), you'll probably wonder what the fuck is going on half the time, but that's half the fun.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #510 on: Friday, May 20, 2011, 11:47:57 AM »
The Ghost Writer was a compelling watch with a pretty shitty ending.

Perfect one-line overview.

The Lovely Bones was a surprise for me too.  I enjoyed that.  I can say the same things about Limitless.  The execution wasn't perfect, but the premise was great.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #511 on: Friday, May 20, 2011, 12:38:03 PM »
I just watched "Kill the Irish Man", it wasn't bad but also kind of boring at times.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #512 on: Friday, May 20, 2011, 01:21:24 PM »
Still to go: Big Man Japan and The Orphanage.

big man japan is fucking ridiculous, but totally awesome. watched it while inebriated with a friend a little while back, and ended up quite literally rolling about with laughter.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #513 on: Friday, May 20, 2011, 02:16:08 PM »
That's about what I was hoping to get out of it, so awesome!

Watched The Orphanage last night. It was okay. It had some good points and if you're into horror films, particularly ghost stories, it's probably one of the better ones; that's not really my bag so much anymore. I remembered reading how it wasn't exactly what you expected and turned out to be more thoughtful and non-horrory... and that's sort of true. *shrug* Your mileage may vary.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #514 on: Monday, May 23, 2011, 04:44:36 PM »
The Lovely Bones was the biggest surprise for me. I really didn't know what to expect, exactly, but it turned out to be nothing like what I thought it would be. It surprised in a lot of good ways and was a lot artsier and more introspective than I thought it was going to be. Some of this didn't work quite as well as it should have, and it did have to sacrifice some character depth at times and, oddly enough, shove its main characters a little further from the forefront in order to do what it wanted to do, but it was unique and fairly well carried off.

Was it good? I read the book a while ago and while I really liked the premise, it never seemed to reach its potential. Maybe they improved on it with the movie

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #515 on: Monday, May 23, 2011, 05:10:58 PM »
I saw some of Battle of Los Angeles* last night.  I highly disrecommend it.

Note that this isn't the popcorn action flick Battle: Los Angeles.  Netflix described it as a "mockumentary".  I haven't seen any of the modern alien invasion flicks like B:LA or Skyline, so I don't know if it pulls motifs from those films or not.  I thought maybe it was supposed to be like those Scary Movie- or Not Another Teen Movie-style parodies, except of one or more action movies.  If it was, it was completely unfunny.  If it wasn't intended to be humorous, then it is laughable at just how bad every aspect of the film is: writing, acting, directing, cinematography, sound, editing, makeup, and effects.  It was all bottom-of-the-barrel stuff.  At least a terrible movie like Bad Taste was tongue-in-cheek bad.  This thing is just a disaster.  Student film stuff.  High school student film...

To use one of my favorite punching bags, this movie makes Ultraviolet look like Citizen Kane or Apocalypse Now by comparison.
« Last Edit: Monday, May 23, 2011, 05:41:31 PM by scottws »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #516 on: Monday, May 23, 2011, 05:11:42 PM »
Was it good? I read the book a while ago and while I really liked the premise, it never seemed to reach its potential. Maybe they improved on it with the movie

I never read the book so I can't make any comparisons, but I would say it was a good movie, yeah. Might even have been spectacular if a few weaknesses could have been dealt with, but it was still a solidly watchable film.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #517 on: Thursday, June 09, 2011, 08:29:59 PM »
Watched Contact, True Grit (2010 version), Sherlock Holmes, and Black Dynamite. I enjoyed all of them. Go me!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #518 on: Saturday, June 11, 2011, 01:40:35 AM »
I finally watched Paul! It was awesome. If you liked the previous Simon Pegg & Nick Frost movies (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz) you'll like this one.

Just as Shaun of The Dead was their zombie flick and Hot Fuzz was the action-cop-drama flick, Paul is their shot at sci-fi flicks.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #519 on: Saturday, June 11, 2011, 06:21:22 AM »
Yeah, I really like that as well, a surprise after the lukewarm reviews I read.  And fuck Roger Ebert for spoiling a key cameo.  (I.e., don't read his review before watching Paul.)