Author Topic: JLA movie is going to suck.  (Read 4637 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
JLA movie is going to suck.
« on: Monday, November 19, 2007, 08:51:12 AM »
http://www.filmdrunk.com/post.phtml?pk=643

There will probably be confirmation on all of these and a complete list by the end of today or tomorrow, but everyone's already been rushing to report most of the Justice League of America cast.

The Flash will be played by Seth from the OC, aka Adam Brody.  If you were wondering why I mention him first, it's because he's probably the biggest star of the bunch.  No, seriously.  Rapper and attractive black man Common will be playing The Green Lantern, some dude named Scott Porter is Superman, Teresa Palmer is Talia Al Ghul (Batman love interest), and Armie Hammer (named after the baking soda?) is playing Batman.  And no, I've never heard of these people either.

Luckily, there's still The Dark Knight, the next Superman movie, The Flash movie, and the Green Lantern movie, so fans of shitty superhero movies have options.  Adam Brody actually won me over in Thank You for Smoking, and Common by being cool looking, but the rest of these people - you'd get better actors by typing random names into IMDB (Steve, Bob, Susan, Chuck) and playing eeny meeny miny mo with the results.  I've said this was going to suck all along, and now that the casting's more Fantastic Four than X-Men, I'm feeling pretty confident in my early assessment.  Kind of like when I told everyone our third grade teacher was weird looking, and nine years later she died of cancer.  It's like I have a fifth sense or something.  [Source, Source]

Why the fuck would you do this? The Batman franchise has just recovered after eight years, and the Dark Knight is shaping up to be amazing. Now you have JLA coming out with some other dude as Batman?

Superman 5 was also recently released, and suddenly they've got another guy playing him in JLA?

There is The Flash movie in the works, starring Ryan Reynolds, which is a great piece of casting. Except the guy who is going to be playing him in JLA will be different.

So basically we have The Dark Knight coming which has Christian Bale again starring like he did in Batman Begins. You have another Superman movie coming with Brandon Routh again playing Supes. And you have The Flash in development with Ryan Reynolds.

Why would you make a mockery of those franchises by having a totally different JLA movie starring other actors? What are people supposed to think? Damn Hollywood is stupid and greedy. I am sure you guys didn't know this, but three other directors rejected the idea of a JLA movie, out of respect for Batman Begins. They all said that it wasn't right. The fans don't want this movie either.

At least Marvel is doing The Avengers franchise right.

They will have separate Iron Man, Captain America and The Hulk movies before they put the same actors together in The Avengers.

Early this morning we were the first place to bring you the news that unknown Scott Porter has been cast in JLA as Superman. So far, fan reaction has been almost universally bad. The term “cratered” has been used more than once to describe JLA in our comments section. I doubt you guys are going to like this any better.

Batman-On-Film is reporting that a guy named Armie Hammer has been hired to play Batman in the JLA movie. Armie Hammer is a 20-year-old actor from California. His IMDB filmography is pretty thin. He had a bit role in Flicka, and did an episode of Veronica Mars. He’s a nobody. And a young nobody to boot.

Can a guy this young actually play Batman? Or are we getting some sort of Batman Beyond, teenage Batman? The weird thing is that the actor we told you will be playing Superman is nearly 30. He’s age appropriate. So where does that leave Bats? Strange.

One thing seems certain in all of this: Warner Brothers is casting a bunch of bargain-bin, young, no-name actors for JLA. So far, Adam Brody and Common are the biggest names attached to this project. Who? Exactly. Brody is rumored to be playing Flash and Common may be Green Lantern. WB is casting this on the cheap. They’d better be using the money they’ve saved on special effects.

What the FUCK?

A 20 year old Batman starts the JLA with a 30 year old Superman?

What the fuck sort of a name is Armie Hammer? Get a real fucking name! You sound like a G.I.Joe cartoon character.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, November 20, 2007, 03:12:11 PM by Pugnate »

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
Re: JLA movie is going to suck.
« Reply #1 on: Monday, November 19, 2007, 02:24:53 PM »
Damn, I was afraid of this happening, I was looking forward to Christian Bale playing Batman and Routh playing Superman in the JLA movie.  20 years old is way too young for a Batman role.  I think Bruce Wayne was in his early 30s in Batman: Year One when he came back to Gotham from training.  This really disappoints me, but doesn't surprise me in the least.  It also doesn't surprise me that they would use the John Stewart Green Lantern so they could cast the part to a god damn rap artist, I don't have a problem with them using John Stewart instead of Hal Jordan, but not the way they are doing it. Hopefully The Flash movie doesn't suck at least, Reynolds seems like a good fit for Wally West.
« Last Edit: Monday, November 19, 2007, 05:07:10 PM by TheOtherBelmont »

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #2 on: Monday, November 19, 2007, 04:32:59 PM »
This whole super hero movie fad is getting out of control.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Monday, November 19, 2007, 08:05:54 PM »
Plus the Justice League is fucking stupid.

Don't hurt me.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Monday, November 19, 2007, 08:46:46 PM »
I agree with Que.  Having Superman on any superhero team is just dumb.  That and WonderWoman sucks.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2007, 01:33:23 AM »
Why make a JLA movie to begin with? Other than the obvious monetary gain I mean.

Don't worry Pug.. Someday, I will create the Justice League of Arabia and we'll make a better movie where the cast matches the individual superheroes and their subsequent individual movies.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2007, 05:47:05 AM »
Half the time we will be fighting each other.

Don't hurt me.

:P

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2007, 11:26:42 AM »
Have any 2 Batman movies used the same main actor?  The tradition has been to rotate through the A list.  I think no successful actor wants to be typecast.  This latest project seems like something different.  Maybe it really is all about money.  It always is; I mean that they're maybe going on the cheap up front this time, unlike before.  If so, the movie will suck even in the context of Batman movies before Batman Begins.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2007, 12:42:53 PM »
You have a valid point, but Cobra, Christian Bale has signed on to do 3 more Batman movies, provided that Christopher Nolan continues directing, which he says he wants to.

Basically after Dark Knight we will continue to see the evolution of Batman with Bale and Nolan.

What they are doing with JLA is trying to make a quick buck.

I think of it this way in the end. I remember what happened after Tim Burton left, and Batman Forever and Batman and Robin turned out to be real jokes... so I am thinking that it is fine that they do the experiments and the campy trash with JLA as long as they leave Nolan and Bale's series untouched.

The problem is that simultaneously we are going to continue the Batman movies as well as this crap JLA movie.

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2007, 02:46:56 PM »
Couple that with the fact that they want to turn the JLA movies into a series of movies, casting these unknowns makes a bit more sense, I guess.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2007, 03:11:52 PM »
Hopefully The Flash movie doesn't suck at least, Reynolds seems like a good fit for Wally West.

I wish they did The Flash movie first and then cast Reynolds as Wally West in JLA as well. Instead they are going for that Adam Brody dude in JLA. It is just going to confuse audiences.

Couple that with the fact that they want to turn the JLA movies into a series of movies, casting these unknowns makes a bit more sense, I guess.

Which is why the instructions were to cast young. Still these guys don't look the part to me. Except for that chick playing Wonder Woman, Megan Gale:

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2007, 03:16:49 PM »
http://movies.ign.com/articles/836/836260p1.html

JLA Faces Strike Delay
Comic adaptation may lose cast.
by Orlando Parfitt, IGN UK

UK, November 19, 2007 - Following our earlier report about the Da Vinci Code follow-up Angels and Demons being stalled as a result of the writer's strike comes word that the Justice League movie could be another high-profile casualty of the industrial action.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the project doesn't currently have a shooting script and won't until the strike ends. This could cause producers to recast roles, as the options on any actors signed up will soon expire.

Those actors might therefore no longer be contractually bound to the film. SuperheroHype.com claims that the cast might be D.J. Cotrona (Superman), Armie Hammer (Batman), Anton Yelchin (Wally West/The Flash), Santiago Cabrera (Aquaman), Zoe Kazan (Iris), Megan Gale (Wonder Woman), Teresa Palmer (Talia al Ghul), and Common (Green Lantern).

Bruno and the Justice League movie are likely to suffer due to the WGA strike.

The report also said a number of other film projects will be affected by the strike. Bruno -- Sacha Baron Cohen's follow up to Borat about a gay, Austrian fashion designer -- will be delayed because even though the script is complete, writers are still needed to pen fresh material when Cohen shoots scenes where he interacts with real people.

Well they totally have a different name for the guy playing The Flash, though Megan Gale is apparently Wonder Woman.  :-*

She is some Aussie model... I wonder if she can act:

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2007, 07:43:09 PM »
I used to read comics when I was in grades 5-7, and I always remember thinking DC had the shittiest heros.  I just looked at that picture of the justice league in the article and decided that they still have the shittiest heroes.

-The Atom.  Actually not too bad, but I believe he can only shrink right?  He needs to be able to grow as well.  So he could like climb on top of someone's head and turn into a giant and be all like "Booya bitch"

-Hawkman.  Seriously, he can fly.  Great.  That'd be cool if there wasn't already a guy who can fly and shoot lasers from his eyes while lifting a 747 and throwing it at you.

-Aquaman.  Gaaaaaaay.  I can breathe underwater.  Yeah, well, superman can hold his breath for a really long time.  And throw submarines at people.

-The Flash.  Again, wouldn't be bad if it wasn't for the fact that Superman is already really fast.  And like, how fast is super fast?  It's hard to define because it's a thin line between being not really all that fast but still the fastest person in the world so you're usefull if the villain doesn't have a v8 turbocharged and being so fast that there's no point in the story because you're so fast no one could ever stop you...ever.

-Wonderwoman.  I don't really know anything about her except she has bulletproof bracelets and an invisible plane.  The second part is just dumb.  Wait, so is the first.  Yet again, superman can fly and is bulletproof.

-Superman.  Booooooooring.  How can he ever really lose?  And beyond that, why is it that the most powerfull person in the universe's arch enemy is some normal guy with a lot of money? That's just dumb.

-Batman.  Batman actually is cool.  I like to think he's just some rich guy, but he's crazy as fuck.  That's a personal addition to the storyline I put into use in order to make anything involving batman all the more awesome.

-Martian Manhunter.  I know nothing about him except his name is pretty queer and whatever his power is Superman either already has it or can outdo it.

-Green Latern.  Like Batman, he's actually pretty cool. Actually I can't say that for sure because I know very little about him, but the power he has is pretty cool.  Make anything with a ring and kick ass with it?  Yes. Except for that whole "No Yellow" thing.  Worst weakness ever.  "Oh, no the bank is being robbed. If only the culprit wasn't in a yellow wheel chair." 

-Green Arrow.  Yeah, there's already a normal guy.  His name is batman and he's way fucking cooler.  Also, what the hell is the point of using a bow and arrow?  It's just as lethal as a gun, but there's a reason armies don't use it to fight wars anymore. 

-I have no idea who that other chick is, and as such her power probably sucks and Superman can totally already do it. 

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2007, 08:58:58 PM »
All true, and they made me laugh.  Can't Aquaman also like control fish or something though?

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2007, 10:12:40 PM »
All true, and they made me laugh.  Can't Aquaman also like control fish or something though?

Yes and super strength.

Also, Martian Manhunter (J'onn J'onnz) can shapeshift, is telepathic, and can phase himself transparent to where objects go through him.  He's a pretty powerful member and a really cool character in the animated series.

Wonder Woman is basically a female Superman, just not as powerful and no laser eyes and super speed.

I don't care what anyone says, The Flash is awesome as hell.  Wally West(there has been 2 Flashes before him) has so far untapped the most of his powers, such as being able to speed up his molecules and phase through walls, and speeding himself up so fast that he can rip into other dimensions briefly.

If you guys really want to see the DC characters at their best, especially JLA, you should watch the animated series, it was done by the guys who did the Batman Animated Series and if you didn't like that, there's something wrong with you.  Also Alex Ross has done some amazing work with the DC Universe, especially Kingdom Come and Justice.  The most recent Flash comics and trade paperbacks with Wally West are some really good stuff that show off how The Flash has evolved into a great character.  Batman has had some very memorable stuff in the last several years such as Batman: Year One, The Dark Knight Returns, The Dark Knight Strikes Again, Hush, and War on Crime.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2007, 10:15:57 PM »
Dark Knight Returns is really all I'm interested in reading.  Almost picked up a collection once, but then didn't.  I'm too poor for all this stuff.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2007, 10:17:37 PM »
Dark Knight Returns is really all I'm interested in reading.  Almost picked up a collection once, but then didn't.  I'm too poor for all this stuff.

Collection?  The trade paperback is usually $15-20 at most places.

EDIT: Unless you are referring to some collector's edition collection I am not aware of.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, November 21, 2007, 12:12:09 AM »
Was it originally a book?  Generally I don't read individual issues of anything, just collections, so if something actually *starts* in book form, I never know the difference.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, November 21, 2007, 12:16:08 AM »
DKR is an awesome book. Kingdom Come is also fantastic.

The Flash is awesome. I also like some of the Green Lanterns...

And I like Superman's character. There needs to be an ultimate boyscout who is a slightly naive.