Author Topic: Lower City (a.k.a. Cuidade Baixa)  (Read 13563 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Lower City (a.k.a. Cuidade Baixa)
« on: Saturday, September 23, 2006, 09:22:16 PM »
Anybody seen this movie yet???

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Lower City (a.k.a. Cuidade Baixa)
« Reply #1 on: Monday, September 25, 2006, 09:53:24 AM »
Never even heard of it.  The only contribution I can make at this point is that "city" in Portugese is probably spelled "ciudade".  It's "ciudad" in Spanish.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #2 on: Monday, September 25, 2006, 10:03:58 AM »
Yep, "ciudad" in Spanish means city, but "cuidad" means "care" or "caution," like "ten cuidad" means "take care."

Anyway, I haven't seen it..

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Monday, September 25, 2006, 01:36:51 PM »
I saw it over the weekend; yes, it was good.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Monday, September 25, 2006, 04:45:40 PM »
Yep, "ciudad" in Spanish means city, but "cuidad" means "care" or "caution," like "ten cuidad" means "take care."

That would be "cuidado".  "Ten cuidado" means "be careful", although novices at the language may translate it as "have caution" or "take care".

I'm pretty sure in the case of the movie's title, it's meant to be "city".

You did know I'm a native Spanish speaker, no?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Monday, September 25, 2006, 05:59:54 PM »
That would be "cuidado".  "Ten cuidado" means "be careful", although novices at the language may translate it as "have caution" or "take care".

I'm pretty sure in the case of the movie's title, it's meant to be "city".

You did know I'm a native Spanish speaker, no?
Haha I actually forgot! You have some Spanish heritage! :P I just learned Spanish, so I still need a bit of practice. The main thing I need to build is my vocabulary. Surprisingly it's pretty close to Arabic, so I don't have much trouble remembering it.

I love Spanish :D Someday I will visit Espaņa!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Monday, September 25, 2006, 06:41:58 PM »
About the only thing I can say in Spanish is, "donde esta la cervesa".  Not one of the languages I'm more fond of, though to be fair, there aren't a ton.  I love English for its musical qualities, and Japanese for its sharp, staccato sounds that move so well from a native speaker.  Some dialects of Chinese are very pretty, while others are rather hideous.  For some reason Spanish just never took with me, though my sister took it for years.  Even went to Costa Rica as an exchange student.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Monday, September 25, 2006, 09:47:27 PM »
Haha I actually forgot! You have some Spanish heritage! :P I just learned Spanish, so I still need a bit of practice. The main thing I need to build is my vocabulary. Surprisingly it's pretty close to Arabic, so I don't have much trouble remembering it.

I love Spanish :D Someday I will visit Espaņa!

Why would it it be surprisingly close to Arabic?  The Moors fought and occupied Spain for some ridiculously long amount of time (centuries).  Check out these Spanish words:

almohada
alambre
almibar
ojala
reloj

:)

Edit:  Hehe, Scott's going to lay the smack on us again.  Topic chop chop!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #8 on: Monday, September 25, 2006, 10:42:35 PM »
Why would it it be surprisingly close to Arabic?  The Moors fought and occupied Spain for some ridiculously long amount of time (centuries).  Check out these Spanish words:

almohada
alambre
almibar
ojala
reloj

:)

Edit:  Hehe, Scott's going to lay the smack on us again.  Topic chop chop!
True, but I mean I was surprised because I knew nothing about Spanish, and all of a sudden I can understand and pronounce everything without much effort. The instructor made me bring in my passport and high school transcripts to prove that I ahd never taken Spanish before.

I'm not a Moor, just a regular old Semite. I think there was an Arab presence in Spain for about 800 years or so. I really wanna go to Andalucia.

Anyway, back to topic! ;D

I really wanna see Cidade Baixa! It reminds me of Cidade de Deus (a.k.a. City of God).

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, September 26, 2006, 01:26:14 AM »
I think once you're bilingual, a 3rd language comes much easier.  It's true that you have an advantage with phonetics being similar.  But that won't help you with the concept that thoughts can be channeled through more than one verbal form (without having to translate mentally every time you try to use anything but your native form).  That you learned early in life, and is now second-nature to you.  (That's your real advantage.)  Not so for single-language teens and adults.

Anyway, looks like nobody was right about the spelling of Cidade Baixa.  Haha.  It looks . . . steamy.  Definitely not a family movie.  I'd have to sneak that in down here, and watch it on the PC.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, September 26, 2006, 02:30:48 PM »
I really wanna see Cidade Baixa! It reminds me of Cidade de Deus (a.k.a. City of God).

Alice Braga, who was in City of God, is in this movie -- she plays the hooker the two guys are fighting over in Lower City.

BTW, City of God was a great movie.

Quote from: Cobra
Haha.  It looks . . . steamy.  Definitely not a family movie.  I'd have to sneak that in down here, and watch it on the PC.
Yeah, it definitely is a steamy one....
Yet, often it is quite rough of a movie at other times, too.