Author Topic: Mafia 2  (Read 7886 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Mafia 2
« on: Wednesday, August 15, 2007, 04:00:21 PM »
NEWEST - 11-13-2010:
GameSpot -> The Music of Mafia 2
Mafia 2 interview w/ 2K about the music in Mafia 2.
5 tracks from the Mafia 2 game for GameSpot members (Free or paying) to download.

OLD
FOUR new $3 DLC's...
EvilAvatar -> FOUR more $DLC released; each priced at $3 a piece.

G4TV - Reviewed by Adam Sessler.
4 stars (out of 5) -> Written review - X360.
Sessler's Soapbox Video -> "Mafia II's (Not So) Open-World" & Its Storytelling/Narrative.

Mafia 2 (Original Game) - Reviews:
PC Gamer - 78 (out of 100) - PC version.
GameSpot -> 8.5 - PC, X360, PS3.
PlanetXBox360 -> 9.3 (out of 10) for - X360.
GameInformer -> 9.0 (out of 10) - PC, X360, and PS3.
GamingNexus.com -> B grade - X360.
Worthplaying -> 8.3 (out of 10) - X360.
VGRevolution.com -> 7.6 (out of 10) - PC, X360, and PS3.
Destructoid -> 6.5 for PC and X360; 7.5 for PS3 [out of 10].
IGN -> 7.0 (out of 10) - PC, X360, PS3.
Joystiq -> 3.5 stars (out of 5) - PC, X360, PS3.
GiantBomb -> 3 stars (out of 5) - PC, X360, PS3.

News, Links, Etc.:
Shacknews -> Mafia 2: Joe's Adventures $DLC announced.
Gamasutra -> UAE bans the game.
ActionTrip -> Mafia 2: Jimmy's Vendetta DLC comes out today (Sept 7th).
Bitmob -> Interview w/ 2K's Jack Scalici on Mafia 2.
PC Zone gives Mafia 2 a score of 80%.
Mafia 2 PC requires Steam.
Pre-order Mafia 2 through Steam, Mafia 1 from Steam will be FREE for you.
VE3D IGN - Mafia 2 PC version's system requirements.
Official Website - Mafia 2 PC version's System Requirements revealed.
Mafia 2 on the consoles might get 3D features down-the-line, if there's enough demand for it...
Mafia 2 - E3 2010: "Made Man" Trailer.
NVidia APEX, PhysX, and 3D support included in PC version.
DI struck a deal w/ D3, in which D3 will to publish all of DI's games worldwide.
« Last Edit: Monday, December 27, 2010, 09:21:13 PM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Digital Illusions make a deal w/ D3 For Publishing Rights for a new IP
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, August 15, 2007, 09:40:10 PM »
Fuck D3.  Those were the idiots who farmed the Puzzle Quest handheld ports to companies who completely butchered it.  And then never got back to us on fixes or... anything.  Fuck D3.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, August 16, 2007, 01:33:24 PM »
Fuck D3.  Those were the idiots who farmed the Puzzle Quest handheld ports to companies who completely butchered it.  And then never got back to us on fixes or... anything.  Fuck D3.

Really....??!?!?

Wow.....that's not good at all....

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, August 16, 2007, 02:22:16 PM »
Yeah, I tried the DS version and theres...just something missing compared to the PC demo. Though I am looking forward to the PC version.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Digital Illusions to POSSIBILY announce MAFIA 2...
« Reply #4 on: Friday, August 17, 2007, 01:43:14 PM »
Please tell that this is sooooooo gonna be true....

Rumor has it: MAFIA 2 is the next game from Digital Illusions...

Mafia 2 Announcement Nears [August 17, 2007, 10:37 am ET]

Tiscali Games has uncovered word that a Mafia 2 announcement is in the offing, having discovered a ratings listing for a trailer that will show off the game at the Games Convention in Leipzig, Germany. A subsequent post on IGN says to expect an announcement next week, while a post on Computer and Video Games suggests that the sequel to Illusion Softworks' life-of-crime game may be officially announced as early as today. Illusion actually revealed they were at work on a Mafia sequel back in late 2003 (story), but nothing has been mentioned of this project since then.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: MAFIA 2 has been ANNOUNCED
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2007, 06:37:47 PM »
Official Site for Mafia 2
------------------------
Click me!

Mafia 2 Announced
------------------------
MAFIA II has been announced -- oh, hell yes!!!!

And, 2K will publish it.

Hmmmmm....Where's JB?
Damn, He'd love this news...

2K Games Announces Mafia 2
Highly anticipated sequel to deliver Hollywood movie style action and gameplay

New York, NY - August 21, 2007 - 2K Games, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), today announced that it will publish Mafia 2, a sequel to the original Mafia title that sold more than two million copies worldwide and helped popularize the gangster genre. Featuring a deep mobster-driven narrative packed with both behind-the-wheel and on-foot action, Mafia 2 is the sequel fans have been clamoring for. The game is being developed by Illusion Softworks, developers of the original Mafia title, for next generation consoles and Games for Windows®.

Like the original Mafia title, Mafia 2 immerses players in the mob underworld of a fictitious late 1940's-early 1950's scenario. Players will easily become engaged in the game's cinematic Hollywood movie experience with strong, believable characters in a living, breathing city. By fusing high octane gunplay with white knuckle driving and an engaging narrative, Mafia 2 looks to be the industry's most compelling Mafia title to date.

"As the original Mafia was a big success, we are excited to leverage the power of next generation console technology to create an all-new experience, while embracing the elements that resonated with the previous game's fans," said Christoph Hartmann, President of 2K. "The 'wow' factor of Mafia 2 is definitely the benchmark-setting visual quality and action that you expect to see only in Hollywood movies."

« Last Edit: Tuesday, August 21, 2007, 07:10:41 PM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2007, 07:17:12 PM »
Looks gorgeous.  If they can flesh out the original concepts, sign me up.  I felt the first was just a bit too limited for what I wanted (I wanted to be able to go off the beaten path and just screw around in a gorgeous mid-century city), but it was still brilliant in all other aspects.  If they can maybe focus a little more on exploration and extra stuff to do other than just following the story, I would get this in a heartbeat.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2007, 07:20:23 PM »
Looks gorgeous.  If they can flesh out the original concepts, sign me up.  I felt the first was just a bit too limited for what I wanted (I wanted to be able to go off the beaten path and just screw around in a gorgeous mid-century city), but it was still brilliant in all other aspects.
Oh, yuh -- I definitely get what you mean. The city itself was great. I wish you could just go venture off AND that there were lots of side missions to do.

Unfortunately, the side missions were only in the Extra "Free Ride" portion of the game.

Would be great if they can do like GTA and have the normal game missions and side missions in the game, together in one game mode.

If they can maybe focus a little more on exploration and extra stuff to do other than just following the story, I would get this in a heartbeat.
Amen to that, Que.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2007, 07:29:00 PM »
I'm glad the developers decided to cut back on the sandbox feel of Mafia. When you let players do whatever they want, the story usually isn't as great as a game that puts you on a single path. The best thing about Mafia was the story, I don't think sandbox would work for it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2007, 07:59:05 PM »
I'm glad the developers decided to cut back on the sandbox feel of Mafia. When you let players do whatever they want, the story usually isn't as great as a game that puts you on a single path. The best thing about Mafia was the story, I don't think sandbox would work for it.

Well, as long as more open-style games throw a  "compass arrow" on the screen and basically points you in the direction of the main quest (like say Bioshock does), that really shouldn't be an issue.

Of course, in Bioshock PC, you can turn that "compass arrow" off.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2007, 08:29:37 PM »
Words cannot explain how excited I am about this.  I absolutely loved Mafia.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2007, 08:32:32 PM »
Words cannot explain how excited I am about this.  I absolutely loved Mafia.

Yes, I think this is great news, as well.

MAFIA is up there w/ GTA: Vice City for me, as one of the best of those GTA-style action/driving hybrid games.

MAFIA's storyline, presentation, and graphics were way ahead of many PC games, upon its release.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2007, 10:31:17 PM »
Looks sweet!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, August 25, 2007, 05:53:10 AM »
Trailer:
Check out the TRAILER

GameSpot talking about the Trailer:
Click me.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, August 25, 2007, 06:23:21 AM »
That looks gorgeous... but they took very long to make Mafia 2.

Let's hope there aren't any race sequences. *waves fist*

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, January 08, 2008, 02:53:38 PM »
We all knew Take-Two was going to publish Illusion Softwork's upcoming game, Mafia 2.

Well, they've gone a step further.
Take-Two just acquired them.

And they will now be renamed to 2K Czech.

Sounds a lot like when 2K acquired Irrational...

Take Two Acquires Illusion Softworks [January 08, 2008, 10:45 am ET] - Viewing Comments
This -press release announces Take Two Interactive has acquired developer Illusion Softworks, who are currently at work on a sequel to Mafia, their organized crime game. Word is they are renaming the studio 2K Czech:

NEW YORK--(Business Wire)--Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ:TTWO) today announced the acquisition of Illusion Softworks, a premier Central European-based game development studio with operations in Brno and Prague, the Czech Republic. Illusion Softworks has approximately 200 employees and will join Take-Two's 2K Games publishing label as its newest studio, 2K Czech.

Established in 1997, Illusion Softworks is the creator and owner of several hit video game franchises, including Mafia, Hidden & Dangerous and Vietcong. The studio is currently working with 2K Games on Mafia II, the sequel to the original Mafia, which helped establish the gangster genre and sold more than two million units.

"The acquisition of Illusion Softworks reflects our strategic focus on owning high-value intellectual property as we continue to expand our portfolio of triple-A titles," said Ben Feder, Chief Executive Officer of Take-Two.

Christoph Hartmann, President of 2K, said, "Adding 2K Czech to our network of development studios demonstrates our strong commitment to creating great franchises and building world-class creative teams. The 2K Czech team is responsible for several very innovative and highly-regarded franchises and we look forward to continuing to develop new and existing IP together."

"We have an excellent working relationship with 2K Games and the utmost respect for them," said Petr Vochozka, CEO of 2K Czech. "We are pleased to become a 2K studio and are confident that this new partnership will strengthen our current and future projects."

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: MAFIA 2 Thread -- Update: Take 2 buys out Illusion and renames them to 2K Cz
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, March 15, 2008, 06:59:09 AM »
New preview for 2K Czech's upcoming Mafia 2

An Offer We Can’t Refuse

Back in August of last year we were offered a 30 second trailer for 2K Game’s follow-up to its critically acclaimed action adventure shoot-em-up: Mafia. Right now, there is not much known about the follow-up apart from the fact that it will be called, imaginatively enough, Mafia II. That and the fact that Mafia will have a lot to live up to. From what we've seen, Mafia II is on the right track and a worthy sequel to the original. If you have the time, take a moment and check out the trailer for yourself at the Mafia II website. For the rest of you, sit tight and I’ll explain what we already know about this gangster game.

Just When You Thought You Were Out...

The game is set around the 1940s and 1950s, with various scenarios for each. We have seen one scene that begins in a restaurant where a group of 1940s Mafia men are enjoying a meal. One of the men, who is rather sinister-looking, smokes a cigarette and tells a story about how he doesn’t mind killing animals if it’s for a good cause (in this case he is referencing the beef he is gobbling down). He then turns to a younger man at the table, who appears to be the main character that the player will be controlling, and asks if he agrees and what his thoughts were on killing the “human animal”. With that said, the action picks up with a bunch of scenes of guns, car cases and general mobster activity.

One is the Loneliest Number

This is where the gamer steps in. From what we've gathered though, it looks like you will not be going about your dirty work alone. It appears as though you'll be partnered in crime by a heavyset guy. What this means for gameplay is not entirely clear but it looks as if there will be the need for backup on your missions and perhaps the need to work as a team on several missions. This could possibly work along the lines of any number of buddy-mission games such as Conflict: Denied Ops or Kane and Lynch: Dead Men. Anyone who has played the Grand Theft Auto series may remember a few outstanding missions that included the main character and another computer controlled one to work together and that, for me at least, was among the most memorable and entertaining missions in that games. Here’s to hoping that Mafia II will have a few such missions included.

These Diamonds are Fugazi

Make no mistake from my earlier comments; this game is not a GTA clone. The original had a very well thought-out storyline with scripted moments that were professionally done and from what we've seen of the game, it shows that there will be more of the same in Mafia II. The overall cinematic feel of the trailer really puts you into the role of the 1940s gangster, mostly due to the impressive graphics that we have seen. Players will easily become engaged in the game's cinematic Hollywood movie experience with strong, believable characters in a living, breathing city. The gunplay, white knuckle driving and an engaging narrative will certainly be worth a look. The visuals certainly set the scene for that 1940s-1950s experience.

Let’s be Honest

It is still early days in the development of this instalment of the Mafia series, so there is still plenty of time for Illusion Softworks to get things just right. From what we have seen so far, the game does appear impressive and to be heading in the right direction, but how the finished product turns out could be another story. But taking into account how the first Mafia game was a very solid experience, we can be nearly sure that improvements have been made at 2K studios and that when this game hits shelves later this year (hopefully), we’ll be in for an excellent thrill ride. Until then, stay tuned for more details.

SCREENS:

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
Re: MAFIA 2 Thread
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, March 15, 2008, 08:05:40 AM »
Looks really nice. That last picture looks even better the second time you posted it. ;)

I still have yet to finish the first - I probably need to get around to it. It was a fun game.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, March 15, 2008, 08:05:41 AM »
Haha! I feel like one of those guys who brags about something because he knew about it way before the rest of the population. I was crazy about Mafia before the game came out, hopefully I can upgrade my computer to play it.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #19 on: Monday, March 17, 2008, 04:11:59 PM »
Ditto, I loved the original Mafia.  Definitely goes down as one of my top 15 favorite games of all time, I'd say.  I'll preach it's greatness everytime someone mentions it.  This one looks fucking awesome.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #20 on: Monday, March 17, 2008, 06:08:16 PM »
You know, I never did play Mafia.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #21 on: Monday, March 17, 2008, 06:31:36 PM »
I loved it as well.  Don't know that I feel the need for a sequel, but if they flesh the world out a lot more than the first one, I'd play just to see that amazing period-inspired city come to life once again.  That was a truly amazing feat.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, June 15, 2008, 07:05:40 AM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, November 12, 2008, 07:04:45 PM »
Preview from GamesRadar.com

Now, as definitive proof of the existence of gaming karma, Mafia has at last broken free of its six-year concrete overcoat and arisen, spluttering seaweed, from the shores of Lost Heaven. Obviously, there’s a new (anti) hero this time round -

Mafia 1 ENDING Spoilers Ahead
(click to show/hide)

Enter fresh meat Vito Scaletta, son of Sicilian immigrants, and his grand dreams of becoming a Goodfella in 40s/50s Empire City (a fictional Big Apple.)

Although it’s hardly Fallout 3 in its scale, we’re promised Vito will be able to make moral decisions at crucial junctures in the story. With Daniel Vavra – writer and director of the original – back on board, we’re expecting nothing less than one of the most stellar narratives in videogame history. Take it from us; this guy’s that good.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #25 on: Sunday, April 19, 2009, 04:17:57 PM »
Mafia 2 gameplay footage.
NSFW - plenty of cussing, violence, etc etc.

Click me! Check it all out here.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: MAFIA 2 Thread - Update: Awesome gameplay video shown (Reply 25)
« Reply #26 on: Sunday, April 19, 2009, 04:50:42 PM »
Kinda' cool.  Like the first, though, my interest in the game really has more to do with the setting, and whether or not I'll care to play will have more to do with that.  Mobster stuff doesn't interest me so much anymore, but the setting... yes indeedie.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #27 on: Sunday, April 19, 2009, 04:51:47 PM »
Thanks for the update, MyD.

It looks interesting, can't wait for a demo!

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #28 on: Sunday, April 19, 2009, 05:50:50 PM »
Looks pretty good so far.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #29 on: Sunday, April 19, 2009, 10:23:32 PM »
One thing I noticed in the video that really got me was how well-animated the game looks so far. The walking, taking cover, firing, all the animations and motion-capture looks top notch! It's a subtle thing but it makes quite a difference.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #30 on: Monday, April 20, 2009, 04:47:59 AM »
One thing I noticed in the video that really got me was how well-animated the game looks so far. The walking, taking cover, firing, all the animations and motion-capture looks top notch! It's a subtle thing but it makes quite a difference.

About the animation -- yeah, Joystiq pointing that out in their impressions, too.

Y'all are right -- the game looks like it's been animated to great lengths.

Some of the best animation I've seen probably goes to POP 2008 and Assassin's Creed -- those games, their characters just move so fluid and lifelike that it's just unreal. Given the amount of different animations those two games have, yeah -- it makes perfect sense.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: MAFIA 2 Thread - Update: Delayed, delayed, delayed (Reply 31)
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2009, 02:23:11 PM »
I'm in no rush. Frankly I prefer that they take all the time they need to polish it and iron out any unsightly creases.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: MAFIA 2 Thread - Update: Delayed, delayed, delayed (Reply 31)
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2009, 02:29:07 PM »
Agreed.
I got plenty of stuff to catch-up on, as is. :P

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: MAFIA 2 Thread - Update: G4TV Gameplay Footage (Reply 34)
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2009, 01:39:13 PM »
Some info on Mafia 2

During an Xbox 360 presentation of Mafia 2 we got an impression of the gameplay and the visual appearance of the 2K Games development. While the former immediately delivers a flair that remembers of the popular predecessor, we are a little disappointed by the graphics: The version on display apparently doesn't support anti aliasing, the shadows are pixeled and seem to be of low resolution and the explosions are a little weak. In contrast to that there are amazingly animated and textured NPCs and a city that is twice as big as Lost Heaven in Mafia 1.

In an interview with Producer Denby Grace we learned that 2K Czech (formerly Illusion Softworks) has recreated the engine of Mafia 2 almost from scratch. The result is a D3D9 renderer - support for DX10 or DX11 has not been integrated. Mafia 2 is a pure cross platform title although the PC is said to be the lead platform. Due to the higher resolutions as well as additional GPU Physx particle effects, like dynamic, interactive smoke) the PC version will also offer better graphics than the console variant.

The Xbox 360 version is limited to 30 fps, while the Pc version will possibly have a 60 fps lock, but this has not been decided on yet - the developers note that a 60 fps lock would deliver a smoother gameplay since the framerate wouldn't vary too much. The performance, which currently is not convincing at all, isn't final, too. Heavy loading lags when streaming the "Seamless City” (more than 100 locations and that are supposed to be accessible without loading) leave a bad taste like the framerate drops that occur from time to time although he engine is multithreaded. But until the game is released in 2010 the code will be heavily optimized. Currently the developers focus on other things like the cinematic story.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
Re: MAFIA 2 - Update: Delayed until Fall 2010 (Reply 36)
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday, March 03, 2010, 05:04:46 PM »
That sucks. 

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #38 on: Thursday, March 04, 2010, 12:24:13 AM »
It does, but I have so much to start (Borderlands, Demon's Souls, Uncharted 1&2, Fallout, Crysis Warhead), not to mention the replays I want to give Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2, that I don't mind. Plus I really do have to play the God of War collection before the third installment comes.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #39 on: Thursday, March 04, 2010, 02:59:30 PM »
If delays are going to make a game turn out MUCH better than it would've in the first place, I'm all for it...