Author Topic: Hot Fuzz  (Read 3922 times)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Hot Fuzz
« on: Friday, June 29, 2007, 06:52:16 PM »
I have never seen Shaun of the Dead, so I didn't know what to expect going into this movie but I was pretty excited after hearing all the praise for Shaun.  The trailer for the movie is very misleading.  Everything in the trailer is in the movie, but it really isn't as action-packed as the trailer makes it seem.  Not at all.

The dry British humor was there of course.  It was good sometimes; other times I didn't find it all that funny.

It was... okay.  Maybe a rental, if that.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
Re: Hot Fuzz
« Reply #1 on: Friday, June 29, 2007, 09:32:11 PM »
The trailer for the movie is very misleading.  Everything in the trailer is in the movie, but it really isn't as action-packed as the trailer makes it seem.  Not at all.

The dry British humor was there of course.  It was good sometimes; other times I didn't find it all that funny.

It wasn't really marketed as an action movie, it was marketed as a spoof movie, I think you took the action bits of the trailer a bit too much to heart.  You should still see Shaun of the Dead, but I'm not sure if you'll like it if you didn't like Hot Fuzz, if you even remotely like zombie movies you might enjoy it.  I, on the other hand enjoyed Hot Fuzz.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #2 on: Friday, June 29, 2007, 10:23:19 PM »
I don't think I took it too much to heart.  100% of the trailer is action stuff when like 5% of the movie is action, if even that.  The trailer even says something like "From the guys who have seen every action movie ever made."

I guess I was expecting something more like Hot Shots: Part Deux or something.  Not to say that Hot Shots: Part Deux was any good, but that was an action parody. 

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #3 on: Friday, June 29, 2007, 11:51:53 PM »
I really want to see this one, but I didn't feel like going to the theatres for it.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, June 30, 2007, 05:12:07 AM »
well everyone has a different sense of humuor, i guess. if you liked shaun of the dead, or the tv series spaced (also staring simon pegg and nick frost), you'd probably love hot fuzz. it's low budget and and very british. as far as i can tell the action is quite toungue in cheek, and is far more about the witty dialogue and pop culture references.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, June 30, 2007, 05:52:45 AM »
I have never seen Shaun of the Dead, so I didn't know what to expect going into this movie but I was pretty excited after hearing all the praise for Shaun.  The trailer for the movie is very misleading.  Everything in the trailer is in the movie, but it really isn't as action-packed as the trailer makes it seem.  Not at all.

hmmm well I knew it was a spoof action movie, personally the trailer was too silly to be taken any other way, but we all see things differently.
I really liked the it, I knew what I was seeing but I didn't think it would be as good as it was, I think its worth more than a rental, but again; each to their own opinion.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, June 30, 2007, 06:49:37 AM »
I enjoyed it.  Not quite as much as I enjoyed Shaun of the Dead, but I still really enjoyed it.  I love British humor.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, June 30, 2007, 09:02:16 AM »
I far prefer Shaun Of The Dead, but I think that's because I prefer zombie movies to buddy cop movies.
|

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, June 30, 2007, 10:24:23 AM »
I loved Shaun of the Dead.

I really am looking forward to Hot Fuzz coming to DVD soon.

I recently saw another film on DVD w/ Simon Pegg in it, which I found hilarious -- Big Nothing.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, June 30, 2007, 10:46:05 AM »
I haven't seen this yet but suspect I'll just end up buying the DVD.  I still need to pick up the Shaun of the Dead DVD, so I'll probably get both at once.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, June 30, 2007, 11:39:29 AM »
Wait, wait, wait.  Yeah, I knew that Hot Fuzz is a parody movie, a comedy.  What I didn't know is that it's actually not at all actiony as the trailer makes it seem.  Like I said, I was expecting something like Hot Shots: Part Deux.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, June 30, 2007, 01:39:18 PM »
I think it's probably just because you're not as familiar with the other stuff the guys have done.  I think if you had been, you probably wouldn't have been expecting much action.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, August 22, 2007, 07:53:04 PM »
Just watched it, and it was completely awesome.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, August 22, 2007, 08:09:41 PM »
It was "off the fucking chain!"

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, August 25, 2007, 11:38:19 PM »
After wtahcing Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz I did a bit of hunting for Simon Pegg's original TV show "SPACED."

It was aired in 1999, had two seasons, and I enjoyed it too :D

I figure if you guys enjoyed the movies you might like to take a gander at the show.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, August 25, 2007, 11:52:33 PM »
I've got to agree about hte trailer being misleading. If I'd never sen Shaun or Spaced, I probably would have been disappointed too. The trailer did make the movie look pretty action-y.

I first heard of Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg with Shaun of the Dead, and loved it. I then found out about spaced and watched both seasons (you can find every episode of both seasons on google video by searching for "spaced series"). So of course I loved Hot Fuzz too.