Author Topic: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune  (Read 10534 times)

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, October 28, 2009, 02:22:49 AM »
I finished the first Uncharted, much better than I expected it to be. I can't help but remember some middling complaints about the game, but I found the annoyances to be pretty minor, sure the gunfights can be a little problematic, but I managed to get by most of them without too much trouble. I know a lot of people mentioned enemies taking lots of hits before they go down so I went into it to getting as many headshot kills as possible, so I got good at those quick, and became a fan of the shotgun for those tricky bastards trying to flank me. So yea, the story is run of the mill Indiana Jones popcorn flick stuff and its well done, its hard not to like it, plus all the characters are just so likeable, and thats always a rare treat in video games. Can't wait to check out the second one now.

(click to show/hide)

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #41 on: Thursday, October 29, 2009, 06:15:16 AM »
It doesn't.  In fact you may find it more annoying (even though I enjoyed it)

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #42 on: Thursday, October 29, 2009, 09:29:47 AM »
Both final boss fights were annoying...  I found the second one to be tougher, but I was playing on Hard for the first playthrough of Uncharted 2, while I was playing on Normal for the original.

I can't imagine what a pain it will be on Crushing...

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #44 on: Saturday, February 06, 2010, 08:22:08 PM »
The MP for uncharted 2 is off the chain!

Has anyone been playing it? I've been addicted to it for the past week. love it!

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #45 on: Saturday, February 06, 2010, 10:12:57 PM »
The MP for uncharted 2 is off the chain!

Has anyone been playing it? I've been addicted to it for the past week. love it!

I played it a few times after I beat the game.  I had a lot of fun with it.  I always have the intention of playing multiplayer a lot in games but always shy away from it for some reason.

I guess ultimately I'm a single player experience type of guy.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #46 on: Saturday, February 06, 2010, 10:18:59 PM »
Ditto.  I've played it for a bit, especially the co-op.  What are your PSN IDs by the way?  I think I have most of the people on here but not either of you (K-man or Scarytooth).

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #47 on: Saturday, February 06, 2010, 10:50:43 PM »
Veryunclever

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #48 on: Saturday, February 06, 2010, 10:55:26 PM »
I'm ZenAgain

I've been meaning to get everyone's PSN ID.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #49 on: Saturday, February 06, 2010, 11:17:53 PM »
I'm ZenAgain

I've been meaning to get everyone's PSN ID.

While I don't have anything to add to the discussion on Uncharted, my PSN ID is TheOtherBelmont.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #50 on: Monday, February 08, 2010, 12:27:26 AM »
This is the wrong thread for this post but I don't remember what thread the discussion happened in. There was a thread on here about how inferior PSN is to XBL. What exactly makes it so inferior? I've never had any problems with PSN - everything is straightforward. The lack of a point system is great and I've never had any problems in either finding games or playing games. But I've never used XBL so maybe I'm missing something?

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #51 on: Monday, February 08, 2010, 12:41:12 AM »
I used to think XBL was superior before it turned into the bloated advertisement fest that it is, now PSN is easily better by comparison.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #52 on: Monday, February 08, 2010, 01:06:59 AM »
I really prefer PSN now.  It's free and simple to use.  Playing online is simple; I've had no issues with it.  Voice communications works great -- the only drawback (or good thing, depending on your view) is that most players on PSN do not have a mic.  If you're playing in public games, that's great.  For private games though it'd be nice if more people had a mic to communicate better. 

I know the Playstation Store now holds regular specials unlike XBL, so it's easy to get some good deals on games.  On XBL, I haven't been able to capitalize on any offers or deals, not to mention the fact that it's terribly bloated and difficult to navigate.

Edit:  Back to the topic at hand -- I don't really like the competitive multiplayer in Uncharted 2.  The gameplay works great in single player.  Somehow though, I don't think it translates too well into competitive MP.  There's a lack of tension or urgency to the feel, so it plays kind of laid back and slower than what I'm used to.  The most direct comparison is Gears of War.  Gears of War is brutal and fast paced even with the use of the cover system and similar game design mechanics.  Uncharted 2 also lacks a 'sprint' or a 'roadie run' ability, which I have difficulty getting used to.

On the flip side, other MP games like Modern Warfare 2's competitive multiplayer suite plays so much more intense that I find it more appealing to play.

That said, I do like the co-op arena missions in Uncharted 2.  Fighting off waves of enemies is lots of fun, and the challenge ramps up nicely.  I don't like co-op objective though... again too slow paced with 2 other people.

Overall, I prefer the MP in Modern Warfare 2 and Gears of War to Uncharted 2.  Though, if you ever want to play Uncharted 2, just message me and I'm definitely up for some games.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #53 on: Monday, February 08, 2010, 01:16:05 AM »
the only drawback (or good thing, depending on your view) is that most players on PSN do not have a mic.  If you're playing in public games, that's great.  For private games though it'd be nice if more people had a mic to communicate better. 

I was playing a game today and wondered if generic USB mics work. I've got one in the depths of hell that I might dig out if it will work. I could google it, but I'm terribly drunk at the moment and I figure someone on here knows the answer.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #54 on: Monday, February 08, 2010, 01:23:44 AM »
I was playing a game today and wondered if generic USB mics work. I've got one in the depths of hell that I might dig out if it will work. I could google it, but I'm terribly drunk at the moment and I figure someone on here knows the answer.

I've heard USB mics work.  I haven't really looked it up because I have a bluetooth headset so I don't know if it goes through the same set up routine.  I think it's in the Accessory Settings on the XMB.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #55 on: Monday, February 08, 2010, 01:43:22 AM »
I have a USB mic that I use.  It's just a Logitech thing.  Was originally for my PS2, but been using it on the PC for years, and it works fine with the PS3 as well.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #56 on: Monday, February 08, 2010, 01:47:28 AM »
Good to know. I plugged in a keyboard the other day in the middle of a game and it worked seamlessly for sending messages, so that made me optimistic. Now I'll just have to dig through all of my shit to get my mic.

Sorry for derailing the thread. Continue on with your thread, all of you fuckers that have a drive than can play the game.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday, February 10, 2010, 06:21:05 PM »
Back on topic -- I finished up Uncharted 2 yesterday on Crushing... which was quite a challenge.  I'm probably going to go back and finish up the rest of the trophies though.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday, September 28, 2010, 02:57:41 PM »
Joystiq -> Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - Game of The Year Edition coming Oct. 12th to PS3.

How appropriate! Uncharted 2: Among Thieves -- our 2009 "Game of the Year" -- is finally getting a Game of the Year Edition.

The $49.99 package includes the well-received sequel on a Blu-ray disc, as well as a "super voucher" which allows users to download $35 worth of post-launch DLC, including:

* PlayStation Heroes Skin Pack
    * Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Multiplayer Pack
    * Uncharted 2 Siege Expansion Pack
    * Currency Multiplier which grants Double XP up to level 10 in Multiplayer
    * Golden Guns option for the AK-47 and the 92FS 9mm pistol for use in Multiplayer
    * Early access to "Revenge" Booster – you still have to purchase it with in-game cash!
    * Uncharted: Eye of Indra – Motion Comic Bundle (which includes Episodes 1-4)
    * Uncharted: Eye of Indra – Rika Raja and Daniel Pinkerton Character Skins
    * Uncharted 2: Among Thieves – Avatar Pack 1
    * Uncharted 2: Among Thieves – Avatar Pack 2
    * Uncharted Avatar Pack 3
    * Uncharted Avatar Pack 4
    * Pinball Heroes – Uncharted for the PSP

The Uncharted 2: Game of the Year Edition will launch on October 12. The following Saturday, the game's online multiplayer mode will play host to a playlist featuring Naughty Dog's favorite "The Lab" custom gametypes. A few of the developers will also be online to challenge fans, though we imagine their home-team advantage might make playing against them an exercise in futility.

Why don't they just include the DLC on the damn Blu-Ray disc?  :o
Or in a 2nd BR disc?

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday, September 28, 2010, 03:23:25 PM »
Cost.  Much cheaper to put a voucher in.  Not to mention it keeps the content out of the hands of people that didn't buy it.

Only DLC I can think of that was released that way was the Shivering Isles/Knights of the Nine disc.  As far as I know, anyone could install the game to their drive from that disc.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 08:56:19 AM »
I've never tried any of the DLC for this game.  I don't think any of it is worth it personally because I'm not a big fan of the MP component of the game.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 11:00:48 AM »
Yeah, all that stuff looks like its for multiplayer. I'd probably sell the voucher.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #62 on: Sunday, February 06, 2011, 11:59:52 PM »
So I am chapter 14. This game rocks. I started at Chapter 6 on the weekend, and this was the only game I played. I like how polished the adventuring elements are. There haven't been enough extraordinary moments, but the game is excellent overall.

I really suck at shooting with a controller, though I have gotten better.

I also love how they've handled weapon and ammo load out in this. You basically end up using all of the weapons because you have to use what weapon you find. The storyline is a big cliche, but it is all well acted.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday, February 08, 2011, 01:57:40 PM »
I finished the game, and I loved it!

The final few chapters were awesome and intense. I loved the last boss battle. Very fine game.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #64 on: Tuesday, March 08, 2011, 12:33:48 AM »
Finally got around to playing this over the weekend and finished it. I had a blast, I was amazed at some of the things they managed to pull off technically. I know I was a little worried with the last boss fight since I didn't like how it was done in the first but I didn't have a problem with it. I wish there was more puzzle stuff like they had in the first but the little bits they managed to put in were good enough. Now I really really can't wait for the third.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #65 on: Monday, April 23, 2012, 02:53:22 AM »
Uncharted Movie Trilogy! Sorta!

The Uncharted series of games are known for their snappy writing, great vocal performances, and cinematic feel. Of course, there is the matter of all that bothersome gameplay that gets in the way of the movie experience, so a Reddit user by the name of morphinapg took the logical next step: actually cutting footage of the games together to create a fully-realized trilogy of films. Spanning all three entries in the PlayStation 3 series, morphinapg combined captured cutscenes and gameplay footage, with the goal of creating movies that would work as stand-alone features even if the viewer wasn't already familiar with the games.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: Sunday, August 26, 2012, 09:40:20 PM »
So, am I alone in thinking that the combat sucks in this game?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #67 on: Sunday, August 26, 2012, 09:47:46 PM »
You are not alone.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #68 on: Sunday, August 26, 2012, 10:59:16 PM »
I liked it. I mean, each individual element of combat is like an incomplete part but for a shooter the melee is awesome, it's more than just a single swipe attack. What frustrates me is the shooting.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: Sunday, August 26, 2012, 11:49:55 PM »
Does it get better in the followup games?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #70 on: Monday, August 27, 2012, 12:09:03 AM »
Does it get better in the followup games?
Meh, minor changes that make it more contextual (disarming, environmental attacks etc.).

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #71 on: Monday, August 27, 2012, 12:17:09 AM »
The set pieces are greatly improved over the first.  The first game was a chore to finish; the second was actually enjoyable.  The gameplay doesn't change much though.  I haven't played the third and cannot comment though.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #72 on: Monday, August 27, 2012, 02:09:41 AM »
I'm nearly done with Among Thieves (the 3rd one, nearing what I presume is the final battle). Even there it's essentially the same with even more set pieces and scenarios. It has a stealth sequence where you can sneak up guards and insta-kill.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Re: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
« Reply #73 on: Monday, August 27, 2012, 07:21:49 AM »
It's a shame.  I really like the game, but not the combat. To be fair, part of this may be my inexperience with dual stick aiming.  Console games sure have changed.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #74 on: Monday, August 27, 2012, 07:53:22 AM »
It's a shame.  I really like the game, but not the combat. To be fair, part of this may be my inexperience with dual stick aiming.  Console games sure have changed.
Welcome to my world. Uncharted is the only game I'm willing to put up with analogue-stick aiming for! That's only because it's only relevant to the shooting segments.. Sadly most of the game revolves around that especially in the sequels.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #75 on: Monday, August 27, 2012, 11:37:55 AM »
The combat for the most part stayed the same in all the 3 games, it was just more masked in the later 2 by the complexity of the set pieces. If you want frustration, play multiplayer in the 3rd game.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday, August 28, 2012, 10:59:17 PM »
I've started the second and the combat actually seems marginally better.  It might just be the new, closer camera angle during combat though.  I still suck balls at aiming.

Thank god you could just run and gun during the (fucking lame) monster segments of the first game.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #77 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 07:15:39 AM »
I believe the series peaked at 2 (massive jump in overall quality over the first game).  3 was, for better or worse, more of the same.  Wasn't a bad game.  The bar just got set too high with 2.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 03:42:20 PM »
Yeah, I've been really really impressed with the second so far.