Author Topic: Metroid Prime 3 reviews starting  (Read 2395 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Metroid Prime 3 reviews starting
« on: Monday, August 27, 2007, 12:36:53 AM »
IGN seems to like it, calling it the best game on the Wii.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Metroid Prime 3 reviews starting
« Reply #1 on: Monday, August 27, 2007, 12:56:06 AM »
Corruption is the evolution of the Prime series and a game that is very highly polished in nearly every respect. It's got better control. Better pacing. Better visuals. Better cinematics. And better bonuses. Yet, even with all of these improvements, it still feels and looks very familiar to its predecessors, which is both a statement of praise and criticism. You will recognize the blueprint and style of a winning formula and at the same time time you aren't likely to experience the downpour of surprises that overwhelmed you upon playing the original Prime -- an endeavor that brought Samus into the third dimension without sacrificing the guts of the 2D efforts. There is also no getting around the fact that 2002's Prime featured cutting-edge graphics for its time and Corruption instead boasts cutting-edge graphics on Wii. What Retro has done with Nintendo's underpowered console is nothing short of amazing, of course, but if you dare to compare Prime 3's visuals to games beyond Wii, you'll notice a chasm in technology. The artistry? We'd pit it against anything on the high-definition-ready consoles with confidence.

Hell, I'm sold.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Monday, August 27, 2007, 10:40:39 AM »
Seems to be a winner!
Shacknews review
1UP review

Side note: I'm sitting here laughing at fanboys dissing MP3 because its rating better than Bioshock and the only ammo they have is "Well, Bioshock looks better"....ignoring that not a single person is comparing MP3 to BS and each game is rated against their own standards. This is why comparing "final scores" is retarded.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #3 on: Monday, August 27, 2007, 02:20:03 PM »
The Wii controls sounds quite interesting...

Quote from: 1Up
But as with any first-party Wii game, Corruption shakes up (or waggles side-to-side) this tried-and-true formula a bit, mostly in terms of control. Here's how it works: The Wii remote is used both to aim and turn your view (by "pushing" the crosshair against any edge of the screen); the nunchuk's analog stick moves your character (forward, back, strafe left and right). Imagine your standard PC shooter mouse-and-keyboard setup, plus a view lock-on system (Z button), and crosshair that doesn't always stay in the middle of the screen.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #4 on: Monday, August 27, 2007, 10:16:05 PM »
8.5 from the spot.

Prima's doing the strategy guide apparently.  Figured Nintendo would step up for this one.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, August 28, 2007, 07:14:00 AM »
That makes 3 games that I want for the Wii now.

Zelda, Paper Mario, and MP3.  The list is growing slowly, but surely.  I plan to pick up a Wii by the end of this year.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, August 28, 2007, 07:41:41 AM »
Super Mario Galaxy is what's going to kill me.  That one looks so fun.

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, August 28, 2007, 11:36:36 PM »
I just picked it up this morning.  So far seems pretty fun.  I'm still getting a bit used to the controls.  It feels pretty natural, just a bit awkward still getting used to them.  It's very pretty..and I can't wait to get some more time into it.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2007, 03:06:20 PM »
Is the Wii a real product yet?  My definition of that is something I can walk into a store that claims to carry it, and actually get one at retail price, with no strings attached.  Last I heard, it was still a bitch to find one.  MP3 is the first game on the Wii that makes me care.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2007, 10:59:34 PM »
I managed to squeak out an hour of free time yesterday to go look for the game. Lots of places had it, but supposedly every copy belonged to someone who preordered. It was probably for the better since I have two tests tomorrow and needed to do homework last night though.

So, I ordered a copy and it should hopefully get here tomorrow or Friday. That will allow for some quality time over the weekend. I'm super excited. I've been playing through Metroid:Zero mission during BART rides to get into the mood and I'm nearly done.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, August 30, 2007, 12:38:02 AM »
So far the game seems much more straightforward than the previous ones.  Hopefully that will change.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: Monday, September 03, 2007, 10:41:21 PM »
I put a big chunk of time in today and it gets my seal of approval. After a rather large training area (and one of the best Metroid boss fights ever), the game opens up a fair bit and goes into the sprawing mode that the series is known for. It does feel a bit straight foward a times, but it isn't any less straight forward than previous times. Your path was always more limited in the Prime games by what gear you had (you can't use the bomb trick to cheat your into hard to reach areas), so it was always a matter of passing up alternate paths until appropriately armed. This is pretty much the same.

The difference this time around is the areas aren't as interconnected as before and you receive more mission goals like in Metroid Fusion (and to a lesser extent, the first two Primes). The interconnected issue really doesn't change a whole lot when you think about it since all it really does is replace the old elevator system which sort of arbitrarily brought different zones together. It just does make the game feel less sprawling and more like several individual levels. That said, the game is huge and there's way more ground to cover than in any previous Metroid. Also, all the areas I've seen so far have been winners, which really isn't surprising given Retro's track record. The mission goals a little bit annoying, but it paces the game out a bit more and makes it feel like less of an item hunt in order to get through a new set of doors by giving things more context. It works and works well taken on its own merits, but even after other Metroids that use objectives I'm not totally used it. Just make sure you turn off the hint system so the game doesn't hold your hand constantly (something that should be done with any of the Primes anyways... unless you hate wandering or really get stuck).

The controls have been really nice as well. You can tell they did a lot of work in getting the sensitivity and feel of the controls just right. You don't have to do a lot of motion, but you have a lot of control over things. It really just adds a healthy level of gunplay to the existing game so fights are almost as much actual fighting as they are figuring out the proper way to kill things. In terms of the normal game, it lets you look around a lot more while walking... basically what you get out of a mouse and keyboard, but it feels more natural than a duel analog setup once you get fully used to it (for me, about an hour in).

The other major area of interest would be the inclusion of more story this time around. This more or less fits into the greater emphasis on context for your wanderings. In the opening areas, it's far more heavy handed than in previous Metroid games, but once the training wheels come off and your set loose to do your thing it all works pretty much on the same levels of the previous Primes. It gives you a much bigger picture of what the rest of the universe looks like outside of Samus' missions and it doesn't go out to try and give character to Samus. Think Half-Life and you got the idea for the first hour or so (or think of the first level of Halo 1, because it's actually pretty similiar, but far cooler). So, in that it's fun for the fans to finally see some real Galactic Federation stuff and how they deal with Space Pirates. You also get to see more of the Space Pirate's frontline war machine rather than the usual experimental stuff that's as dangerous to them as it is to you that you went against in previous games, which is really cool.

All the other stuff is as good as you'd expect given the previous Primes. Good music, great looking zones, cool upgrades for the suit, super awesome boss fights. That usual, although I don't mean to downplay that since those are what have really made the Primes so great, it's just those are the things I didn't really doubt while the game was in production.

So yeah, great stuff all around. I actually really want to keep playing, but I put off way too much school work this weekend and am now a bit screwed for the night. Yay games weakening my resolve.

Edit: Man, I should really proof some of my stuff before I post it. My writing is getting worse by the day.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, September 04, 2007, 02:10:59 AM by sirean_syan »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, September 04, 2007, 01:09:58 AM »
Thank God something managed it that wasn't Warhammer.

But yeah... damn it.  This just makes me want more Metroid in my life.  And while that's always a good thing... I have no Wii.  And that makes me want to sell my organs to get one.

Offline HxCeddie

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, September 05, 2007, 08:59:29 PM »
Sirean basically hit the nail on the head. MP3 is pretty awesome so far, except for some problems I've had with the controls. It is the same problem that I have had with every Wii game where you move the controller outside of the boundary of the motion sensing field, then I panic for a couple of seconds as I try to readjust the position of the controller. Aside from that, it's been pretty fun so far.

Also, all of the boss fights I have had so far have been freaking sweet, especially the freefall one. That was so freaking cool!

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: Monday, September 10, 2007, 02:00:41 AM »
I haven't had those problems with the controls really. Do you have the Wii sensor below your TV, or on top? When I first got the system I did some test with it above and below and it seemed like below was the best solution. The way I have my room setup, the bottom of the TV is more or less level with my lap on whatever chair I sit on, so I can point straight at it rather than slightly upwards.

We should all do the Mii friend thing so we can start sharing those friend vouchers... I'm going to have to look up how you add people again.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #15 on: Monday, September 10, 2007, 07:33:37 AM »
I'm going to get this, the Wii, and Zelda in about a week or so.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, September 13, 2007, 09:56:01 PM »
Thought I'd mention now that I have a bit of free time again (even more come next week when I'm a free agent again and don't have to do almost full-time work with full-time school), I managed to finish the game the other day while I should have been sleeping.

Overall, it was very damned good. There's not a whole lot new to report outside of my earlier impressions other than the game really came into it's own about half-way through as it more or less stopped doing as much hand-holding and the maps started to come together to form less isolated areas like I previously thought they were. It might have been just how I was approaching the game at that point because by then I gathered enough gear to really do some item hunting and the exploration came more into focus then. The spoon-feed context stuff also seemed to let up as well because, but that point, you were more or less at the front of the action and you were more actively discovering what was going on. There are a few exceptions, but that was the general rule through the last bits. I even managed to get a 100% item retrieval rate, something I've never managed to do with a Metroid. It should be noted, that it's far easier to do that in Corruption than other Metroids, but I don't think that's actually a bad thing since it's something that was only for the crazy people before.

My only real complaint was the ending felt a bit rushed, which is strange since the game was huge (I clocked in just shy of 20 hours) and there was tons of buildup towards the final battle. It was like you finally got there and everything settled itself rather quickly. While that isn't entirely uncommon for Metroid games, this felt a little more so, probably because the last boss battle was lacking compared to the fights you went through to get there (and compared to previous final bosses in Metroids).

When all is said and done, I still think Prime 2 is still my personal favorite of the bunch, even though they all have their strengths. Prime 1 remains the tightest of the three and maybe even had the coolest base weapons as Echo's weapons weren't as varied and Corruption opted out of weapon switching in favor of stacking weapons like Super Metroid. Echoes had the best areas with the most interesting puzzles, which are my favorite parts so that explains why its my favorite. Prime 3 excelled in giving out fanboy food by showing off some stuff you knew existed and (probably) wanted to see while rounding out the adventuring with more straight up gunplay.

There was definitely more focus fighting in Prime 3, which isn't surprising, and puzzles took a bit of a hit. It's still completely Metroid, so it's not like the stuff was lost; the experience was just more action oriented, which might be better or worse depending on what you prefer. The important thing is that it works just as well. The story/context is also more action focuses as you're not arriving on the scene long after everything went down like in previous Primes, but as events are happening… sort of like Super Metroid, but with more technology to beef up the story side of things. You don't have to figure out what happened so much as it's happening around you (or you’re causing it). Again, this just the general rule and there’s plenty of back story to uncover as you go through the game... it's probably almost half-half in reality, it’s just that this is less typical in the Primes. It should also be noted that there are areas that are more like Prime 1 and 2 in that you get there after fairly long after the major events occurred, but they’re outnumbered by areas with more immediate storylines. It's pretty cool that the game is big enough to have multiple approaches like this as well. It's not like these are drastically different feeling, but it is notable since setting is a huge part of Metroid games.

So yeah, I'm very happy with the experience. As a worthy Metroid it easy fits into my favorite game list. I'm looking forward to see how the series continues given that this really feels, as advertised, like the end of the Prime storyline. Hopefully it won't be another near decade wait like it was after Super Metroid.... and if it is, well, they left off on a very high note.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #17 on: Friday, September 14, 2007, 07:27:46 AM »
Stop making me want things.  Just stop.