Author Topic: deus ex 3!  (Read 41547 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: deus ex 3!
« Reply #120 on: Saturday, July 16, 2011, 12:26:38 PM »
Summarize please. Gone are the days when I'd waste time watch stuff like this. :P

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #121 on: Saturday, July 16, 2011, 01:37:34 PM »
Summarize please. Gone are the days when I'd waste time watch stuff like this. :P
It's basically a super long extended version of the gameplay trailers we've already seen. Jean-Francois Dugas (Game Director) basically talks through some of the features. A lot of the "gameplay footage" is just standing still while he chats with Charles Onyett (Executive Editor, IGN) about it. It's like a podcast with a mellow video.

It's good to see more of the game unfortunately it's only footage from the PS3 version not the PC version.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #122 on: Saturday, July 16, 2011, 02:30:08 PM »
I don't know, X...but I really liked what I'm seeing so far from Deus Ex: Human Rev from that video.

YAY @ return of the grid inventory.
And I like in dialogue tree, when you move over an option (Bluff, Intimidate, Bribe, etc) - it actually expands and shows you exactly what Adam will say for dialogue, before you pick that option.
Sure beats the truncation style of Mass Effect.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #123 on: Saturday, July 16, 2011, 11:04:23 PM »
I'm really looking forward to it. I like everything I've seen so far, now it's just a matter of actually playing and judging it for myself.

How does the movement actually feel? Do the controls feel wonky? Is the transition between gameplay styles as fluid as they say? etc.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #124 on: Sunday, July 17, 2011, 02:28:21 AM »
PCGamer did a preview, and I remember reading that they were pretty much blown away by how good it was shaping up to be.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #125 on: Sunday, July 17, 2011, 02:42:21 AM »
PCGamer did a preview, and I remember reading that they were pretty much blown away by how good it was shaping up to be.
So far all previews and first-looks seem positive, which is making me all the more anxious particularly about the PC-specific interface changes.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #126 on: Thursday, July 21, 2011, 06:19:10 PM »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #127 on: Friday, July 22, 2011, 01:26:02 AM »

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #128 on: Friday, July 22, 2011, 09:57:27 AM »
i want this game. now.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #129 on: Friday, July 22, 2011, 12:14:42 PM »
Am I the only one who thought the live action teaser was cheesy?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #130 on: Friday, July 22, 2011, 02:15:39 PM »
Aren't they all?

It's a live action game teaser, it's great! I liked the live action ads they had for Sarif Industries as well.

I think FEAR 3 had a live action trailer too.

Command & Conquer had the live action FMV's as a storytelling device, which has its charms. Kinda makes me think of the old FMV games, like Mad Dog McCree, Night Trap, and Critical Path!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #131 on: Friday, July 22, 2011, 03:00:16 PM »
Pay a visit to http://www.sarifindustries.com/ ;)

Yeah, it's like the website got hacked.
A reference on when Square-Enix got hacked, too.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #133 on: Friday, July 22, 2011, 05:36:14 PM »
That was fucking hilarious!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Wednesday, July 27, 2011, 12:10:24 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #135 on: Friday, July 29, 2011, 07:11:15 AM »
PC Gamer's upcoming review for Deus Ex: Human Rev PC = 94% score.

World's first Deus Ex: Human Revolution review is here
Posted on Friday 29-Jul-2011 12:40 PM

World's first Deus Ex: Human Revolution review is here
"A game that puts almost everything else in the genre to shame," says PC Gamer.

PC Gamer brings the world its first Deus Ex: Human Revolution review in the pages of its latest issue.

It's a something of a victory for Eidos Montreal as well since the PC gaming bible awards the highly anticipated reboot a score of 94%.

In an eight-page spectacular, PC Gamer's Human Revolution review calls the game "a dark, cool and beautiful revival of an incredible game." It praises Eidos for creating a game with a clear respect for the players that rewards original thinking and exploration.

The mag - which is with subscribers today - concedes that it's not quite as good as the original because thanks to a "slight shift away from improvisation and wide open spaces", which stops it "just short."

Regardless, Human Revolution is described as "the Deus Ex of our age, a genuinely worthy prequel, and a game that puts almost everything else in the genre to shame."

Not bad going. Not bad going at all.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Saturday, July 30, 2011, 10:39:23 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #137 on: Tuesday, August 02, 2011, 02:50:55 PM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #138 on: Sunday, August 14, 2011, 02:11:00 PM »
GameSpy -> Discussion w/ Eidos-Montreal and Nixxes on outsourcing DX:HR PC version to (PC company) Nixxes.

GameSpy: So why was the decision ultimately made to outsource the PC version?

Julien Bouvrais [of Eidos-Montreal]: Obviously, while console versions of the game were part of the picture, PC was also a big focus. It was simply out of the question to do a straight port of the console version to PC, while being able to keep the essence of the adventure we experienced seven years before. With this in mind, we started exploring ways to best create the whole Deus Ex: Human Revolution project -- console and PC.

There was really no way our team could tackle all three platforms at the same time. Making a Deus Ex game is an incredible challenge in the first place and we wanted to be sure we wouldn't put the game at risk.

GameSpy: Let's get into the nuts and bolts of the PC version of the game. What specific features set it apart from its console counterparts and make it a game that's truly designed for PC gaming?

Julien Bouvrais: First off, Nixxes developed a DX11 renderer that is used on the PC, when available. We did leverage this by adding several features you will see when you have DX11 hardware on your PC: real-time tessellation, improved Screen Space Ambient Occlusion, improved blurs and depth of field. We also added custom support for AMD's Eyefinity (multiple monitors), and 3DHD. On another note, the user interface has been tailored for the keyboard, and mouse controls can be fully customized for your gaming habits.

Jurjen Katsman [of Nixxes]: We did quite a lot of work on anti-aliasing as well. We offer various anti-aliasing options to gamers to choose from depending on how powerful their hardware is. They really help smooth out rough edges that you can see more easily on a PC monitor.

Technically, little details that we believe PC gamers will appreciate are additional options to customize the gameplay, like adjusting the FOV, and disabling the reticle.

GameSpy: Given that impressive feature set, how do you compare playing the PC version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution and the console versions? In what ways is the experience different on PC?

Jurjen Katsman: We are obviously a little biased, but for us here at Nixxes, the PC version really is the version you should play. The extra depth you get from 3D or EyeFinity, and the extra crispness of the enhanced resolution, effects, and frame-rate, really give you superior visuals. And the speed and accuracy that you get from playing with mouse and keyboard compared with a gamepad, at least for me personally, makes it a pretty easy choice.

Julien Bouvrais: Looking back at what the game looks like on PC, I am really proud of what we have accomplished. Let's be realistic in that obviously this is the same story on all three platforms -- the same characters, the same core gameplay features, etc. However, when I play the game on console or on PC, my approach is different... the experience is different.

If you ask people on the team which version of the game they prefer to play, you will get different answers, and I truly think it depends on what kind of a gamer you are. Those who usually play on console prefer the console versions whereas the PC gamers wouldn't play Deus Ex: Human Revolution on anything other than a PC. This is how I personally measure what we have accomplished with the game.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #139 on: Sunday, August 14, 2011, 11:00:35 PM »
Anxiety building...

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #140 on: Monday, August 15, 2011, 06:46:42 AM »
I know.  I have to keep putting this game at the back of my mind because my PC is still packed!  Even then, I don't know if it would run games coming out in the next quarter very well.  It seems that PC games are finally starting to take advantage of the hardware again instead of using the 2005-era hardware of the 360 and PS3.  That means my PC is suddenly (and finally) becoming outdated after going strong for so long.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #141 on: Friday, August 19, 2011, 05:47:25 PM »
GreenMan sent me my Deus Ex: HR game key today in an e-mail.
So, if you got it digitally on Pre-Order from somewhere, might want to check your account, e-mails, and whatnot.
And yes - I'm all PRE-LOADED and ready to go for next Tuesday!!

PC Version gamers, here's when your version will UNLOCK on Steam.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #142 on: Sunday, August 21, 2011, 06:56:21 AM »
The Observer - DE: HR Review.

Certainly worthy of the hype, then, with the only quibbles being a frustrating mini-game that too often breaks up the main action and a difficulty curve that, even on easy, can be unforgiving. While it's unlikely that Human Evolution – or perhaps any game – will have the impact of the original Deus Ex, this is a superbly realised title and a sure contender for game of the year.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #143 on: Sunday, August 21, 2011, 07:22:04 AM »
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - PC Retail boxed copies are somewhat Region Locked in UK and Russia b/c they could only fit so much of the language packs on the disc.
This DOES NOT have anything to do w/ the digital copies of the game - those are Region Free.

EDIT:
Due to complaints galore on their forums, Region lock removed on all UK and Europe copies of the PC version.

Region-locking plan UPDATE
We’re aware of some discussion regarding the planned region-locking of boxed PC versions of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and after careful review we have decided not to implement this in the UK/Europe.
Please note, this plan only related to PC boxed games, and not digital or console editions.
« Last Edit: Sunday, August 21, 2011, 07:43:55 AM by MysterD »

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #145 on: Tuesday, August 23, 2011, 12:19:59 AM »
Just watched the Gametrailers review. I'm pleasantly surprised that it seemed to turn out well. I think I'll grab it.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #146 on: Tuesday, August 23, 2011, 01:18:50 AM »
ArsTechnica review here!

The Good

*A Deus Ex game, and a very good one at that
*Wonderful use of both first- and third-person views
*E-mails and news reports do a great job of building the world, and are often funny
*Many side-quests, and choices that matter as the game progresses
*Varied weapons
*Augmentation system means everyone can play in their own style
*Multiple ways to complete each mission
*The hacking minigame remains fun through the entirety of the game
*Impossible to see everything the first time you play
*A lengthy single-player experience: I put in around 25 hours and can't wait to play again
*Standard branching conversations are enhanced with higher-stakes conversations that change how the story plays out
*Adam Jensen is a mirror for the other characters in the game: some see a monster, others see the future

The Bad

*The transitions between the game and its cutscenes can be jarring
*Lack of support for NVIDIA's 3D Vision technology (3D fans can only use AMD's HD3D)
*The voice acting can be spotty in places
*The conspiracy can get a little thick at times, and a lot is thrown at you near the end of the game
*I experienced a few crashes while playing on the PC, causing me to save more often than I would have otherwise

The Ugly

*The game has a quick-save ability, and I admit to using it every now and again, but abusing saves to see the "right" way through conversations will harm your enjoyment of the game. The "Ugly" tag is for people too cowardly to live by their own in-game decisions. And I mean that in a nice way.
*An early mission in a police station can be exceedingly tedious if you tackle it at the wrong time, which is a design flaw in a game of this type

Verdict: Buy

I am so frickin' psyched for this right now.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #147 on: Tuesday, August 23, 2011, 01:55:03 PM »
You guys seriously need to play Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Remember the game we all thought we were getting when we saw the first screenshots of DX: Invisible War? And how disappointed we all were when the final product reared its ugly, undercooked head? DX:HR makes up for all that.

I'd love to spew out all my impressions of right now but it's late and my brain is fried. I will say that the only reason I stopped playing is because I realized that its past midnight and I need to get up early for work!

I'm very impressed and will discuss the details when I get a chance.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #148 on: Tuesday, August 23, 2011, 02:44:10 PM »
Steam is decrypting my pre-loaded files. :) I so cannot wait. Expect impressions later or tomorrow.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #149 on: Tuesday, August 23, 2011, 02:57:30 PM »
Quote from: Dumbass Gamer from Amazon
It's one thing to not to support a feature or product, quite another to actually go out of your way spending money and time disabling it. It appears Nvidia 3D support has been completely disabled with this title, although it's supported with the ATI alternate 3D suite. Trying to play it in stereoscopic 3D results in one of the lenses just being completely blacked out. This isn't isolated, either. I've yet to hear of anyone getting this working with Nvidia 3D. If all is as it seems then it's completely outrageous they've sabotaged Nvidia 3D and shafted paying customers like this.

PS - 3D at least somewhat worked in the beta, so there shouldn't be any reason the final product is released in this state.

The game otherwise works, but I don't want to play it unless it's in sterescopic 3D as the first time play experience will be ruined. If you feel the same (who care's if you don't!) then make sure you kick up a fuss and apply pressure for the developers to fix this.

People like this need to die.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #150 on: Tuesday, August 23, 2011, 02:59:50 PM »
I'm with you on that.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #151 on: Tuesday, August 23, 2011, 03:08:17 PM »
My preorder is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, but it isn't officially relead here until Friday - any idea if the pc retail box needs to be unlocked online?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #152 on: Tuesday, August 23, 2011, 06:09:44 PM »
Okay....it's fucking awesome.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #153 on: Tuesday, August 23, 2011, 07:13:19 PM »
It sucks for NVidia 3D gamers to get shafted, since the game right now only supports ATI 3D. I'm not a fan of this "exclusive" content stuff.

Regardless, dude should re-think his thoughts and position here. He should just go play it in normal 2D mode until it gets Nivida 3D support [if it ever gets it] - b/c  the game is really-really good from what I've played, so far.

This looks like what people have really wanted from another Deus Ex game.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #154 on: Tuesday, August 23, 2011, 08:15:25 PM »
So I'm finally getting around to playing the first one. It bored me off my ass the first time I tried, and while I didn't give it enough of a shot at all, I ended up losing the disc to a friend who borrowed it for like 5 years or something, so I never really got to try it again. I just downloaded a copy and am trying it again... just finished up the first mission and am enjoying it so far. Who knows, maybe I'll finally be a fan like everyone else.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #155 on: Tuesday, August 23, 2011, 08:32:12 PM »
I had a hard time playing through the first one as well. I think I tried three or four times over the last ten years or so.   I eventually finished it about a year ago (I think).  It is a good game but for me it was hard to get over some of the clunkyness of the interface and mechanics that just come from such an old game.

The plot and feeling of involvement, however, kept me invested and I eventually powered through.  This, however, is just kind of blowing my mind right now.  It's like all the good things of the first game with the more streamlined interface, controls, and mechanics that have come to gaming over the last 15 years. 

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #156 on: Tuesday, August 23, 2011, 11:16:57 PM »
I think my interest in gaming is gone.  I normally would be totally psyched about a game like this but right now I have little to no interest with it.  The earliest I can see myself picking this game up would be next summer.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #157 on: Tuesday, August 23, 2011, 11:31:53 PM »
First hotfix already out, apparently addresses launch crash issues particularly for legacy AMD users and Nvidia users.

It's kinda crap that they shafted Nvidia 3D users. I can understand how they feel since that's pretty much been the experience with PhysX on non-Nvidia cards.

So far I have very few gripes with the game, they're all technicalities really. Visually, it's not ground-breaking and every once in a while I'll come across a lo-res texture. It seems like the graphics have been scaled back to accommodate the consoles, even with DX11 activated it has minor flaws that really show some design cut-backs (low-poly models, helmet-hair, etc.) There are a few technical glitches here and there, like if something in the background (e.g. Skype or TeamViewer) has a notification it somehow takes priority over the game and it gets minimized, or the visuals get really pixelated (similar to half-resolution effect), but I can easily alt-tab and it goes back to normal. Also, the v-sync needs some work, it makes my framerate very erratic; switching it off is the way to go.

The controls are well done but even then it took me a few minutes to adjust to the mouse aim movement, it feels like something that was designed for an analogue stick but functions with the mouse (like Halo PC). End of the day it is a port, but it's the best damn port I've seen! A great example of how console-to-PC ports should be done.

Now that I've got the negative out of the way, DX:HR is a phenomenal game. The art and style make up for any technical shortcomings. The sound, music, and ambiance are mesmerizing. They all come together to make a highly immersive experience; I have trouble letting go! The best part for me is that it's giving me that feeling of excitement I used to have for games. It's coming back! hehe I think Que will appreciate this :P

Anyway, I will fill you all in on some more impressions as I play through the game.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #158 on: Wednesday, August 24, 2011, 10:44:41 AM »
I REALLY wish law school hadn't just started.  GRrrrrr
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #159 on: Wednesday, August 24, 2011, 11:07:09 AM »
I really wish my PC was unpacked.