Author Topic: deus ex 3!  (Read 41555 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: deus ex 3!
« Reply #200 on: Tuesday, August 30, 2011, 05:07:21 PM »
Haha.  I know what you mean.  I still try to pickup random Shit even with the highlighting on.  "I WANT THOSE PILLS"

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #201 on: Tuesday, August 30, 2011, 05:59:42 PM »
Heh. I've been playing and immediately turned off the objective markers and object highlight. Let me wander, please.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #202 on: Wednesday, August 31, 2011, 12:34:46 PM »
Haha.  I think a game like Morrowind is better for no UI on objects.  You can pick up anything in that game.  Otherwise, in one like DX:HR, it just gets annoying because there are so many different things that you cannot grab, and they blend in with ones you can.

I'm really enjoying my playthrough.  I think I'm like halfway in.  I started off doing the guns blazing approach, but I've since become more of a stealth fan.  I think I'll do another playthrough and do total stealth. And maybe no killing
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #203 on: Friday, September 02, 2011, 09:15:24 AM »
I'm on the hardest difficulty, going for the pacifist route. So far one guy died but technically not by my hand: a boxguard exploded after I EMP'd it and he happened to b running by it. Not sure if that counts as a kill for me though.

Also, I am experiencing quite a few things I never came across in my first playthrough. Damn did I miss on a lot!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #204 on: Friday, September 02, 2011, 03:09:12 PM »
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link DLC announced for October.

Sep 02
Coming in October
Posted by Eidos Montreal

The Deus Ex: Human Revolution conspiracy grows deeper in The Missing Link. During Adam's quest for the truth in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, he mysteriously vanishes for three days. Where was he? What did he find out? The Missing Link reveals it all.

After being tortured by Belltower agents and having his augmentations disabled, Adam Jensen must rely solely on his basic capabilities to escape from a freighter, destined for an unknown location. While fighting for his survival on the ship, he uncovers another layer to the conspiracy that he never would have suspected. As Adam, befriend new, mysterious allies and fight ruthless enemies to discover what was happening in the shadows during the events of Deus Ex: Human Revolution!

-New layers of conspiracy unveiled
-Sprawling new environments
-Brand-new characters to interact with
-Rebuild Adam's augmentation set from scratch. Build up a brand new Adam!

What is The Missing Link? You'll find out soon...

EDIT:
Kotaku -> Some of DE:HR's Easter Eggs.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #205 on: Friday, September 02, 2011, 05:35:10 PM »
I think I'm gonna do a pacifist playthrough next, too.  I started off running and gunning, but on the hardest difficulty, you can get dropped so fast that the game sorta forces you to use stealth if you don't want to quickload hundreds of times.

Are you a pacifist in the sense that you just knock people out?  Or do you not even do that?  I was wondering if I could get through without ever hitting anyone.  Right now, I usually knock people out unless it is a huge room and I know that someone will be alerted (and come wake up the guy I just knocked out).  If that is the case, I'll just stabby-stabby them.  But stabbing always alerts them, whereas knocking out does not.  Trade offs!

Anyway, my storyline is heating up.  I'm guessing I'm about 2/3s or 3/4s of the way through, but I'm too scared to check anything to confirm that for fear of spoilers.

I love all of the references to old Deus Ex stuff.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #206 on: Friday, September 02, 2011, 07:13:33 PM »
Made my way to....
(click to show/hide)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #207 on: Friday, September 02, 2011, 10:04:14 PM »
After 36 hours, I have finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution. What an awesome game. :)

What ending did everyone select?

(click to show/hide)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #208 on: Friday, September 02, 2011, 11:21:49 PM »
Endings...
(click to show/hide)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #209 on: Friday, September 02, 2011, 11:30:10 PM »
I'm gonna have to quickload and check out the other endings, hehe.
This game is definitely gonna get a replay, down the line.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #210 on: Sunday, September 04, 2011, 06:52:15 AM »

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #211 on: Sunday, September 04, 2011, 02:17:49 PM »
Endings...
(click to show/hide)

likewise. ended up doing all the endings, not sure which i prefer.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #212 on: Monday, September 05, 2011, 10:25:22 AM »

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #213 on: Monday, September 05, 2011, 08:40:44 PM »
I'm currently at Picus.  I take it I'm over half way?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #214 on: Tuesday, September 06, 2011, 01:11:34 AM »
I'm currently at Picus.  I take it I'm over half way?
Only slightly, only slightly.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #215 on: Tuesday, September 06, 2011, 08:55:41 AM »
(click to show/hide)
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #216 on: Thursday, September 08, 2011, 03:18:59 PM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #217 on: Sunday, September 11, 2011, 08:33:16 AM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #218 on: Thursday, September 15, 2011, 05:06:52 PM »
New patch for Deus Ex: HR PC version released through Steam.

"The new patch addresses a variety of issues as well as adds some new features:

Fixes:
- We have addressed various issues that can occur for players that would result in ‘stuttering’.
o Stutters that are the result of graphics driver shader processing are now removed or significantly reduced.
o Stutters that are the result of data streaming have been removed or significantly reduced.
o Performance has been improved and made more stable on dual-core systems. This could previously also result in stuttering.
- Fixed issue where some players couldn’t complete the Motherly Ties side quest.
- Fixed an issue where doors in Omega Ranch sometimes wouldn’t open.
- The TYM medical card should no longer fall through the table if an NPC’s body comes into contact with the card. Players already stuck in this area will need to revert to a previous save before the card fell through.
- Occasional hangs for some players during video-playback have been fixed.
- A crash on startup when running DX11 on a single-core CPU has been fixed.
- An issue causing Eyefinity setups to not be correctly detected for some players has been fixed.
- Fixed an issue where the HUD would get permanently disabled for some players.
- Fixed certain issues that caused the mouse cursor to be able to leave the game-screen on multi-monitor setups.
- Fixed an issue that caused the mouse cursor to not be visible in-game when the user has mouse trails enabled in Windows. We still recommend disabling mouse trails for a smoother in-game mouse cursor.
- Fixed issue where ammo count for collected guns is incorrect when Adams weapon is augmented.
- In DX9 mode:
o Fixed error message for some users when trying to use FXAA Medium or FXAA Low anti aliasing modes.
o Fixed shadow-mapping ‘lines’ on some graphics hardware when using anisotropic filtering.

Feature Additions:
- The Enter and Numpad-Enter keys can now be bound to game actions in the keyboard control menu.
- Intro logos can now be skipped on all but the first run of the game.
- Added windowed mode.
o Selectable in the menu, and can be toggled between windowed, fullscreen, and fullscreen windowed using ALT-ENTER.
- Added an option to change the text language of the game. This setting only changes the text language, the audio is controlled by the language option in Steam.

On top of this we are continuing to monitor for any issues that may need to be addressed in a future patch. One extra feature we can already confirm for a future patch is support for Nvidia 3DVision and Nvidia Surround."

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #219 on: Saturday, September 17, 2011, 05:52:03 PM »
*sigh*

I honestly didn't notice the supposed dynamic ads already in the game. I guess they fit well enough that it didn't matter. But this, this is just pretty shitty. Even more so to wait until the game was good and out so that reviews might not mention it.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #220 on: Saturday, September 17, 2011, 10:55:02 PM »
I've never seen anything remotely close to that in the game or the loading screens.

Will test when I get home.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #221 on: Sunday, September 18, 2011, 02:15:09 AM »
Alright so Im not crazy. I noticed that and I couldnt recall if it was there before and I didnt see it or they snuck it in there. I was a little pissed about it.

Has everyone already finished this? I'm not sure how far I am into it but I recently beat the second boss. I'm really really digging this, even with its flaws it still hits on all the beats on what made the first so good. Right now I'm trying to finish the game without killing anyone (aside from the bosses which I think you have to kill). I will say that hacking is mandatory in this game. Though I put the minimum amount of points in it and I seem to manage through the mini game pretty well. This allows me to spend points on lots of other stuff, though I haven't picked up cloaking yet, I sort of like the challenge of sneaking around without that handicap. Also 2 man take downs are badass.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #222 on: Sunday, September 18, 2011, 05:45:18 AM »
I'm on my 3rd palythrough. This time I'm trying to go through the game with minimal hacking. In general I'm playing in a very brash & brutal style (uncharacteristic for me). If there's a door I can't hack I can usually blow it up (make a frag mine, place it on it, and shoot it from a distance). I'm all gung-ho this time around. Gotta admit, it feels like a totally different game when I'm shooting to kill! hehe

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #223 on: Monday, September 19, 2011, 10:17:13 AM »
Eidos Montreal Outsourced Deus Ex's Boss Battles

Some developers create entire games with an in-house staff. Other studios outsource parts of the game or specific development tasks to additional development teams. While most of Deus Ex: Human Revolution was created internally by Eidos Montreal, the boss battles, the section of the game that has received the most criticism, were outsourced to G.R.I.P. Entertainment. Obviously, Eidos Montreal had a large stake in these battles, and ultimately made the decision to run with them.

That explains a lot!

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #224 on: Monday, September 19, 2011, 04:33:05 PM »
I have no understanding of the thought process behind giving some of the most important parts of a game to a second b-team (especially ones who open up by claiming that they don't have background knowledge on Deus Ex). Maybe throw them some of the miscellaneous floors in random buildings, but to give the video-game equivalent of a climax to someone else is just stupid.

That said, I sort of thought the middle two bosses were at least somewhat fun. By then I was strong enough to be able to use non-stealth techniques and there was at least some interesting stuff happening in the background to spice things up.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #225 on: Monday, September 19, 2011, 04:50:03 PM »
I have no understanding of the thought process behind giving some of the most important parts of a game to a second b-team (especially ones who open up by claiming that they don't have background knowledge on Deus Ex). Maybe throw them some of the miscellaneous floors in random buildings, but to give the video-game equivalent of a climax to someone else is just stupid.

That said, I sort of thought the middle two bosses were at least somewhat fun. By then I was strong enough to be able to use non-stealth techniques and there was at least some interesting stuff happening in the background to spice things up.
See, that's the thing - I doubt these battles are any good, if you been pumping A LOT into Stealth.
Luckily, I had a pretty well-rounded character and was able to get through these bosses.
Wasn't always easy, but you know - still was able to get through 'em.

Third boss was REALLY tough, until I figured out a nice way to win...
(click to show/hide)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #226 on: Monday, September 19, 2011, 09:05:56 PM »
The thing that bothered me about all the boss battles is that there was a cookie-cutter pattern, once you learn it it's just a matter of repeating the cycle. It's not challenging, it's frustrating. Replaying the boss battles doesn't come off as fun as much as it is tedious and monotonous.

Based on that brief interview with G.R.I.P.'s lead the was the boss battles have been designed makes sense. He clearly states he's a shooter fan, he states the cycle they used to create the boss battle formula (orient, observe, decide, act), and (as Sy mentioned) he openly claims that they don't have background knowledge on Deus Ex. I'm not sure the "arena" format even really works that well for a game that's not centered on 1on1 combat. It's kind of an odd choice to outsource such critical segments to a team that's so out of touch with everything else about Deus Ex conceptually.

Speaking of boss battles, I really don't get what was so hard about the second boss, Yelena Fedorova. I think I mentioned it earlier in the thread but I had no trouble with that fight at all, even on the hardest difficulty. Through my first two playthroughs I didn't even know you had to get her to "crash" into the electric generators; the thought never occurred to me since nothing about the layout really suggested it. In retrospect I should have paid attention to the wet floor. Anyway, I figured out my own little formula: stun her as she's dashing towards you, blast her until she recovers, rinse and repeat. If you're fast she can go down in two cycles without you even getting a scratch.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #227 on: Tuesday, September 20, 2011, 07:21:43 AM »
I have to say, having taken myself to the LIMB clinic for the new chip, boss fight 3 is questioning my effort to continue on with this game. It is so far unbeatable, unless theres something I havent figured out.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #228 on: Tuesday, September 20, 2011, 02:33:32 PM »
I have to say, having taken myself to the LIMB clinic for the new chip, boss fight 3 is questioning my effort to continue on with this game. It is so far unbeatable, unless theres something I havent figured out.

Did you try my method, some 3 posts up?

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #229 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2011, 10:31:18 AM »
Guess I spoiler tag this.

(click to show/hide)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #230 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2011, 11:37:09 PM »
Oh, fucking great.  I got that shit switched. I kind of knew doing it would turn out to be a mistake, but I was thinking it'd be something a little less ridiculous than that.  Like a little story twist or something.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #231 on: Thursday, September 22, 2011, 01:43:42 AM »
Yeah, hehe I kinda liked that it actually had an effect on gameplay! I managed the first time around but it was a challenge.

Aside from passive augs I never really use any of my "press-to-activate" augs in the boss fights (or even during regular gameplay). For me it's all about the passive or contextual stuff. The four active augs are enhanced vision, silent movement, camo, and Typhoon. The only one I think may actually be useful in a boss fight is Typhoon since it does actual damage. The rest are auxiliary and might come in handy but were non-essential for me.

The passive augs are the real key because they can increase resilience and maneuverability. If you got the breathing aug and the eye protection aug they can come in handy against Namir (since he occasionally uses gas and flashbang grenades).

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #232 on: Friday, September 23, 2011, 05:36:51 PM »
Missing Link DLC's boss battle was done in-house entirely and WILL NOT have a forced kill on its final boss battle.

"We have a boss battle at the end, but it's different from the main game boss battles," Marc-Andre Dufort, producer of The Missing Link told them. "You can actually not kill the boss. You can do a non lethal takedown on him. And you can kill him from afar. You can even kill him without him seeing you. It's more of a bigger challenge than a standard boss fight like we have in many games."

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #233 on: Monday, September 26, 2011, 08:16:32 AM »
Eidos Montreal Declares Lesson Learned From Deus Ex Boss Fights

Speaking with Rock Paper Shotgun, Dugas explained the studio's intentions behind the boss battles. "When we started, the goal was to have those boss fights with the same design and rules as the rest of the game," Dugas said. "We had our pillars of stealth, of non-lethal actions, and everything else, and we wanted to make sure that was reflected in the bosses, but in the end it was not. ...I think the biggest weakness there wasn't the concept of having boss fights, it's just that our boss fights are not Deus Ex boss fights and that's why people are complaining about them. I guess we live and learn."

Dugas went on to state that the team didn't realize how frustrating the ill-advised boss encounters would be for players. "The biggest surprise, actually, was having released the game and finding that people thought they were frustrating. Not just that they weren't that interesting, but that they were frustrating. The playtesters internally gave us a lot of good feedback for the game, and on the bosses they felt that the fights were entertaining and making you use what you had learned. They didn't say they were frustrating. We knew it was not in step with the rest of the game, but the surprise for us was that the playtesting was correct everywhere but the boss fights. So lesson learned."

I like Eidos-Montréal's approach and I expect good things from the team in the future.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #234 on: Friday, September 30, 2011, 11:18:27 PM »
Okay, that boss fight you all were talking about...it's total bullshit.  Invisible enemy that can pretty much kill you in two shots?  Who the fuck thought that one up?  I beat it, but it was pretty much luck.  The corners of the room are the way to go and then just spam grenades and explosive revolver shots from cover, but it still took me ten tries.

Horrible design.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #235 on: Friday, September 30, 2011, 11:20:01 PM »
Yea, now think about that fight without augments or a HUD.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #236 on: Saturday, October 01, 2011, 04:46:09 AM »
That was challenging.. It definitely took me more than 10 tries to figure it out since his hits killed me instantly (1 or 2 hits max).

I kinda hate the "duel" setup for the boss fights because it doesn't line up with the rest of the game. Every boss fight starts you off face to face with your enemy and you have to get the F outta his/her line of sight!

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #237 on: Saturday, October 01, 2011, 12:27:22 PM »

That's how I did it.  I knew getting the chip "upgrade" was a bad idea but went for it anyways....I just didn't know HOW bad.   Actually the lack of augs wasn't nearly as much of a hindrance for me as the lack of a HUD/the interference going on.  I was crushing pills like no tomorrow because I just assumed I was below 20 health.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #238 on: Friday, October 14, 2011, 03:29:32 PM »
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link DLC -> REVIEWS
PC Gamer -> 90%.
Joystiq = REVIEW.
GameBanshee - Review.
Gamespy -> 3 1/2 stars [of 5].
« Last Edit: Friday, October 14, 2011, 04:13:54 PM by MysterD »

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #239 on: Sunday, April 08, 2012, 10:44:55 AM »
I've been playing this game and I have to say it absolutely amazing! I was totally gay for the first one (beat it multiple times on multiple difficulties) and I think they did a great job of updating the series while keeping what made the first one at the center of the game. I was a little worried when I saw the videos of the game because everything was in third person. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the TPS view is only used in certain circumstances and actually makes the gameplay better.

I do have a few gripes though:

1. The load times on the PC are extremely long. I don't mean going from one area to the next, I mean loading your saves.

2. In the first game, your ammo didn't take up inventory slots, I really don't like that.

3. Here is a problem that I thought they fixed, but I realized that its something that I hated about the first game. Non lethal take downs suck! In the first game, it was much easier to just go ahead and kill someone than to take them down and keep their life. This game is kinda the same way, sometimes (definitely more than the first game) I will just go around shooting people because sneaking around and taking them out non lethally is a pain in the ass. I used to use the stun gun, but I ran out of ammo for it and haven't been able to find anymore for it. I've been using the melee take down, but it drains my energy cell way too much. Once run out of energy bars, I won't be able to take anyone down in a polite way.

Can anyone tell me if I get more ammo for my stun gun or should I just dump it?