Author Topic: Chicago  (Read 4082 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Chicago
« on: Saturday, December 01, 2007, 10:13:06 PM »
This one.

Now, I'm not a musical guy.  I've hated every single one I've ever seen, with the exception of Phantom of the Opera which I still didn't like, but disliked far less than most of the others I'd seen.  I also hate and loathe Broadway in general 95% of the time.

However, I really liked this movie.  I'm not entirely sure why, but... I'll be damned, it was really good.  Julia rented it on Netflix and said she thought I'd like it, and while I was skeptical, it turns out she was right.  It was good stuff.  The music was mostly good, the story was dark, and everything was very stylistic on top of all the undertones of parody and homage.  I was impressed.

Anybody else catch it at any point?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
Re: Chicago
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, December 01, 2007, 11:44:32 PM »
I saw this back when it was released on DVD and I was surprised that I enjoyed it as well.  I normally don't like musicals, but this one was actually pretty good.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, December 02, 2007, 01:15:17 AM »
Well, this was an interesting way for you to come out of the closet.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, December 02, 2007, 02:12:58 AM »
Yes, and I normally don't much like musicals, though I grew up with them in the 60s (so they're too ingrained to hate).  You know why this one is different?  Because it kept all music on the stage, where it belongs.  The numbers were about the movie's storyline, but they were stage performances.  That disconnect makes all the difference.  There's no rolling of eyes and groans, because street scenes don't suddenly acquire an invisible symphony orchestra, and pedestrians don't turn into acrobats.

And if only Renee Zellweger would stay looking like that instead of getting fat . . .

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, December 02, 2007, 02:17:03 AM »
I really liked Moulin Rouge, but I too hate musicals.

I really hate Broadway. I fucking despise it, and whenever some sitcom does some Broadway bit as a joke, I just get very annoyed.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, December 02, 2007, 02:52:22 AM »
I think you may have hit on something there, Cobra.  Also, I didn't find the music here intolerable like I do in most of them, which I think had much to do with it.  But what you say makes a lot of sense... and while I thought that keeping the stage separate was a cool way to do it, I didn't actually think of it in the terms you just presented.  I think it probably did add a lot of credibility to the thing aside from just being a neat film making trick.

And Pug, I talked about that with idol earlier.  I kind of liked Moulin Rouge too, but there were still numerous things about it that bothered me a little (though I liked it more than disliked it).  Chicago I found to be of the same vibe except without the stuff that bugged me about the other film.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, December 02, 2007, 07:11:07 AM »
I hate musicals too, but I really liked Rent.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, December 02, 2007, 07:24:14 AM »
And Pug, I talked about that with idol earlier.  I kind of liked Moulin Rouge too, but there were still numerous things about it that bothered me a little (though I liked it more than disliked it).  Chicago I found to be of the same vibe except without the stuff that bugged me about the other film.

I think the story suckered me in like a poor sap. Plus Nicole Kidman is very pretty in an elegant sort of way.

And the songs brought back some memories.

And if only Renee Zellweger would stay looking like that instead of getting fat . . .

And a pair of eyelids that didn't make her look like Jughead's sister.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, December 02, 2007, 09:16:10 PM »
And her face didn't look like a slab of ice fell on it.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Monday, December 03, 2007, 12:36:28 AM »
Damn.  So much criticism.  I think she's a doll when she's in shape.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Monday, December 03, 2007, 12:37:31 AM »
No complaints here either.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: Monday, December 03, 2007, 11:33:02 AM »
i liked it too..but my favorite musical is Les Miserables.

YEAH I SAID IT
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #12 on: Monday, December 03, 2007, 11:40:49 AM »
Having read and enjoyed the book, I couldn't stomach that, not to mention all the stupid fucking people breaking out into insipid songs in the middle of horrible circumstances in which normal people would shank people bursting into song, let alone burst into song themselves.  God I hate that crap.  I hated the movie too due to the worthless departures it took from the book, and it did a bunch of them within like 10 minutes of the movie.  My wife got pissed at me and we stopped watching it because I kept harping on it constantly.  What a crappy film.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #13 on: Monday, December 03, 2007, 06:57:28 PM »
Chicago was one of the best musical-movies I've seen in the past few years.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, December 04, 2007, 03:33:13 PM »
you should give Sweeney Todd a try, Que. I think it might be right up your alley. The Tim Burton directed movie is coming out soon-ish.

trailer -
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, December 04, 2007, 05:59:45 PM »
i didn't get to finish it.

i don't like zeta-jones for some reason.. it always feels like she's an actress and not a person.. there's something she can't let go when she acts and it's distracting.

i've seen really bad musicals but seen really good ones, on film and on stage.  Broadway's got it's own audience i must say. it's an acquired taste in a way.
Taken.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, December 04, 2007, 07:18:52 PM »
I agree with you to some degree about CZJ, Raisa.  I like her well enough and she's had some good roles she played well, but you're right, there always seems to be something that she can't quite shake.

EDIT - Also Keebs, I've never seen it, but I always did kind of want to try that one.  The new movie looks really cool.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, December 05, 2007, 12:27:46 AM »
Actually, Catherine Z-J impressed me in Chicago because the dancing skill set was unexpected.  I didn't know she was a stage dancer before she became a movie actress.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, December 05, 2007, 12:37:45 AM »
Everyone impressed me in that regard.  I was surprised to know that there were no body or voice doubles for anything.  I thought that was great, and it certainly contributed to me paying more attention.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, December 05, 2007, 05:00:48 AM »
Cobra, ahhh.. i always knew she started off as a stage dancer so i was like okayy.. it's surprising when actors end up singing in their movies.. it's cool actually, especially if they really do have a voice but they're modest about it.
Taken.