Author Topic: Left 4 Dead  (Read 43556 times)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Left 4 Dead - Update: More L4D DLC to be announced "soon" (Reply 353)
« Reply #360 on: Thursday, July 02, 2009, 10:47:12 PM »
I guess I can post this now. Summary of L4D Launch Reviews. A nice thing to link to when people say you are "spoiled" and feel "entitled" to new maps.
This stuff only emphasizes my dissenting point: it was well known that L4D was short on content.  In a sense, bitching about it now is like bitching that Shenmue's 13 chapter story never got finished.

Yeah, they said it was going to happen...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #361 on: Thursday, July 02, 2009, 11:22:45 PM »
If somebody says they're going to do something and then fail to do it, we have every right to be pissed off.  End of story.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #362 on: Friday, July 03, 2009, 04:50:21 AM »
I agree with Que.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #364 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 04:33:47 PM »
Sweet! ;D I love that movie!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #365 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 04:50:17 PM »
That movie kicked-ass.
I hope they put a cricket bat in this mod.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #366 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 06:19:33 PM »
Too bad they decided to make a mod for a completely broken game.

Of the last 3 times idol, Pyro and I have tried to get a game going, guess how many worked?

Zero.  Different reasons each time.

I don't want to be accused of being a Valve troll again, but I honestly think that may be the last product of theirs I ever try.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #367 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 08:08:24 PM »
Too bad they decided to make a mod for a completely broken game.

Of the last 3 times idol, Pyro and I have tried to get a game going, guess how many worked?

Zero.  Different reasons each time.

I don't want to be accused of being a Valve troll again, but I honestly think that may be the last product of theirs I ever try.
You know, it's amazing the backlash Demigod suffered for its Internet issues -- yet, L4D didn't really get the backlash it should've for its Internet issues.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #368 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 08:11:13 PM »
Even when Demigod was "broken" I didn't have as many problems with it as I've had with L4D.  Not anywhere even close.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #369 on: Tuesday, August 04, 2009, 10:32:09 AM »
New campaign announced

Crash Course Campaign Due in September

August 4, 2009 - Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Half-Life, Portal, Team Fortress, and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced the next major downloadable content (DLC) update for its co-operative zombie thriller, Left 4 Dead (L4D), the #1 new game title on Xbox 360 and PC in 2008

Entitled "Crash Course," the latest DLC delivers new single-player, multiplayer and co-operative gameplay to both platforms. Targeted for release in September, "Crash Course" bridges the gap between the end of the "No Mercy" campaign and the beginning of "Death Toll" in the original game, expanding the game universe with new locations, new dialogue from the original cast, and an explosive finale

While containing both Survival maps and a Co-operative Campaign, the primary goal of "Crash" is to deliver a complete Versus mode experience in just 30 minutes, resulting in a streamlined version of the game's existing Versus campaigns. A recharge timer for infected teammates has also been added, and item spawn behavior has changed for more balanced gameplay.

"Since the release of Left 4 Dead last November, the design team has been excited about creating new experiences for this world and allowing players to do the same, by releasing much of our internal toolset, like the Survival Pack and Authoring Tools," said Gabe Newell. "We're working with the fans toward the ongoing entertainment value of the product."

Left 4 Dead is an action horror game from Valve that blends the social entertainment experience of multiplayer games such as Counter-Strike and Team Fortress with the dramatic, narrative experience made popular in single player action game classics such as the Half-Life series of games. Released in November of 2008, L4D has earned over 50 industry awards from outlets around the world and sold almost 3 million copies worldwide.

Left 4 Dead: Crash Course is targeted for release in September and will be available free of charge on the PC and for 560 Gamer points on Xbox Live.

Destructoid says they got to play it, and its a two chapter (read: two map) campaign.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, August 04, 2009, 12:11:45 PM by idolminds »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #370 on: Tuesday, August 04, 2009, 04:57:58 PM »
Finally.

When they gonna bridge the other campaign's gaps with the DLC, too?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #371 on: Tuesday, August 04, 2009, 05:43:58 PM »
Wow.  The amount of content is almost too much to handle.  Not only one, but two whole maps?  I wonder how many months those took them to develop.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #372 on: Tuesday, August 04, 2009, 06:44:57 PM »
Wow.  The amount of content is almost too much to handle.  Not only one, but two whole maps?  I wonder how many months those took them to develop.

Probably 12.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #373 on: Tuesday, August 04, 2009, 08:28:26 PM »

Not to mention its the conclusion for these characters meaning this is the last of the DLC that this one is getting so they can move onto L4D3.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Left 4 Dead - Update: Crash Course DLC announced (Reply 369 from Idol)
« Reply #374 on: Tuesday, August 04, 2009, 08:57:46 PM »
Did you see the characters they're doing for the sequel?  If they did a third game, I wonder how they could get any more stereotypical and nonsensical for a zombie game.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #375 on: Tuesday, August 04, 2009, 09:04:19 PM »
I bet they already are working on L4D3....

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #376 on: Friday, September 11, 2009, 03:23:39 PM »
L4D2 Boycott Group reveals from their visit that there will be more L4D1 DLC coming after "Crash Course."

Now for some good news: There is more DLC for Left 4 Dead coming after CrashCourse. We were given a rough idea of what it should be, however we were asked not to talk too much about it so it didn’t “influence the creative process”. I can tell you this: it’ll either be a new Special Infected, a new Campaign or new Weapon(s). It’s definitely one of the three, perhaps more. This is pretty much the only thing that we were asked not to talk about (remember, *asked* we didn’t sign anything). To that end, we’ll continue to bug Chet about this after Crash Course drops.

I can tell you guys this though; Chet and the rest of the L4D team are still excited about the original four survivors and working the stories of L4D and L4D2 together. To that end, Gabe told us that they’re working on a project that will bridge the stories of L4D and L4D2 and that it will be available through steam (I believe the word ‘free’ was tossed in there too, just don’t quote me on it). It was also hinted at that they were doing something for the Mod community; Agent of Chaos heard more about that though.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Left 4 Dead - Update: There will be more DLC after Crash Course (Reply 376)
« Reply #377 on: Friday, September 11, 2009, 11:35:17 PM »
Fuck that shit.  It better be a new campaign with a new special infected and a new weapon.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #378 on: Saturday, September 12, 2009, 06:58:26 AM »
It better be a new campaign with a new special infected and a new weapon.
I'd be in favor for having all of that. :)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #379 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 01:42:00 PM »
Crash Course is finally out.

Here are the details of the update:
-A new campaign, "Crash Course", is now available for play in Campaign, Versus and Survival modes
-In Versus mode, all weapons, pills, health packs, molotovs, pipe bombs and other items will now be identical for the second round of a chapter
-Matchmaking has had several improvements to make finding and joining games even faster
-Ten all new "Crash Course" achievements have been added

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Left 4 Dead - Update: Crash Course released; L4D = $14.99 on Steam. (Reply 380)
« Reply #381 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 04:51:00 PM »
I wonder if it's any good.  Will update the game and report soonish.

I also like how the term "even faster" is used with matchmaking there as a bullet point.  That's a nice, optimistic spin.  I was thinking "marginally less completely fucking broken" would probably be more accurate.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Left 4 Dead - Update: Crash Course released; L4D = $14.99 on Steam. (Reply 380)
« Reply #382 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 04:57:48 PM »
Que, it's free.

I played one map -- and it was tough. Me and Xessive were playing it earlier -- and yeah, I dunno what difficulty they all had it set for -- but, I was having a blast w/ that map.

Hopefully, Valve gets on the ball and releases more Free DLC maps soon. Of course, we know Valve takes forever to release ONE map or TWO maps...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #383 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 05:00:52 PM »
I wouldn't get your hopes up.  And when did I say it wasn't free?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #384 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 05:05:04 PM »
I wouldn't get your hopes up.
They take forever -- I ain't getting my hopes up, either.
I wonder w. the SDK out, if there's any really good modder-made L4D Maps out there...

And when did I say it wasn't free?
I know you didn't say that!

What I'm really implying by what I said is this -- "Give it a shot! It's worth the 5-10 minute download."

I know, Valve ain't giving us much content here (again) -- but at least they ain't charging us for us.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #385 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 05:21:47 PM »
MyD and I had some fun with it. It was on Advanced difficulty (one level above Normal).

The campaign is not bad but it's a mere two stages. So even then it doesn't compare to any of the original campaigns in scale. Valve set the standard for each campaign consisting of 5 stages and they're not even meeting that.

The part that bugs me is how they boast about content and overhype like "a new entire campaign" like it's gonna be the motherload of DLC then they toss us some crumbs. At least this time we got the bitch-slice (y'know that one tiny-ass slice every home-delivered pizza has? That's the bitch-slice).

Luckily, the community has been doing some decent work since the release of the SDK. ne of the best community campaigns I've come across is Death Aboard. Decent scale, great design.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #386 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 05:40:30 PM »
Yeah, we've run some Death Aboard. Pretty sweet.

That reminds me, I have to get the latest version of it. The download ballooned to a huge size when he added survival maps and stuff so Ive been holding off.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #387 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 06:42:42 PM »
I know, Valve ain't giving us much content here (again) -- but at least they ain't charging us for us.

Well I have the Xbox 360 version. Crash Course is 560 points ($7).

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #388 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 06:50:25 PM »
Well I have the Xbox 360 version. Crash Course is 560 points ($7).

We've basically been talking about the PC version.

But, that is correct. There was big ordeal a bit ago about Crash Course for PC would be free, 360 would be $7.00 -- and Valve was saying that Microsoft made them charge it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #389 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 08:00:41 PM »
I almost don't even care to download it after reading about it.  2 maps?  Fucking worthless.  Mod teams have outdone you, Valve.  Learn how to develop a fucking game or get another job.  Idiots.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #390 on: Monday, November 02, 2009, 05:40:35 PM »
The anticipated "Dead Before Dawn" custom campaign was released on Halloween day, weighing in at 1.1GB, the good news being that the torrent is now available here.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #391 on: Monday, November 02, 2009, 07:55:00 PM »
Downloading!

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #392 on: Wednesday, December 30, 2009, 09:37:14 PM »
What's with the flashlight in this game? The beam is narrow as hell.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #393 on: Wednesday, December 30, 2009, 10:17:19 PM »
Dunno, guessing performance issue to keep shadows to a minimum when you're shining it at a bunch of zombies. Same reason you cant see the flashlights of other players.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #394 on: Wednesday, December 30, 2009, 10:43:18 PM »
That makes sense.

I love the dialogue in the game. I was just on the elevator:

Francis: "I can't wait to kill some more vampires"
Bill: "They're zombies, Francis."

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Left 4 Dead
« Reply #395 on: Wednesday, December 30, 2009, 11:13:04 PM »
The dialogue was one thing I did appreciate about it.  Some of it was pretty amusing.  I think the vampire/zombie line was my favorite out of all of them.