Author Topic: New Aliens vs Predator game! (2000 original on steam now for $5)  (Read 11010 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: New Aliens vs Predator game! (2000 original on steam now for $5)
« Reply #80 on: Wednesday, February 24, 2010, 02:38:13 PM »
yeah, we all got together and decided the game was a bit shit, but we'd all buy it anyway because it was made in Oxford, England. because that's how the world works and this game wasn't built on two of the most popular sci-fi properties or a back catalogue of great games... wait.

Well, what gets me - is why didn't this sell as well in the USA like it did like hotcakes in the UK, then? B/c of the mediocre reviews here in the USA? Was the demo not that great? Was there other stuff out that people were buying - like say maybe Mass Effect 2?

I'm sure I'll probably pick up AVP (2010) for the PC sometime down the line, once it gets cheaper and all. I really should pick up AVP Classic sometime on the PC from Steam - though I'd rather it go to GOG, at a later date since some of Rebellion's stuff is on GOG. And I really hope AVP2 comes to Steam and/or GOG.

EDIT:
AVP (2010) PC Review - 66% from Firing Squad.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #81 on: Wednesday, March 10, 2010, 08:18:31 PM »

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #82 on: Wednesday, March 10, 2010, 10:02:26 PM »
Well, what gets me - is why didn't this sell as well in the USA like it did like hotcakes in the UK, then? B/c of the mediocre reviews here in the USA? Was the demo not that great? Was there other stuff out that people were buying - like say maybe Mass Effect 2?

Well... The reviews were pretty bad overall. The demo was pretty bad. It was free for all deathmatch in a game that shines in TDM (species deathmatch), and didn't tell you shit about the melee weirdness it has. It just throws you in and tells you to play. Predators have to just figure out that they start with nothing but claws and have to find weapons, AND that you have to use energy stations to recharge energy for certain weapons. There was just little thought/effort put into the demo. And yea, there were other big releases. ME2 had recently come out, and Bioshock 2 came out on the same day as AvP.

I thin the game deserves about a 3 out of 5 stars. That means above average and worth playing if you like the Alien and Predator universes. Hardcore fans could argue for a 4/5. It's not an amazing game, but it nails some of the stuff just right, and falls flat on some other stuff. Just being the alien and predator again is worth it for me, even if the campaigns are short and could have been a lot better.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #85 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2010, 06:07:19 PM »
Hmmm...I wonder if it'd be actually worth getting. I don't know if I'd really play it.