Author Topic: Bioshock 1+2 -> Update: PC HD Remasters have some issues...  (Read 44840 times)

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
Re: Bioshock 2 -- Update: In-Game Video (Reply 23)
« Reply #40 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 03:54:09 PM »
Yeah I went all-out wrench. Just went around bashing the shit out of everything. It was quite enjoyable, actually. The only hard part was the big daddies, since wrenching them was suicide.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #41 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 04:01:49 PM »
Yeah I went all-out wrench. Just went around bashing the shit out of everything. It was quite enjoyable, actually. The only hard part was the big daddies, since wrenching them was suicide.
Yeah, that's when I had to rely on a shotgun or some other anged weapon. The Hypnotize Big Daddy plasmid came in handy too.

See, the first game gave the player a lot of freedom in how to play the game. So far B2 looks like it will restrict you to the husk of a slow-moving behemoth of a Big Daddy but with weapon options.

I do like one thing so far, having plasmids and weapons simultaneously rather than toggled. Which is what I expected from the first game since the weapons didn't have an alternate fire mode.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #42 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 04:20:43 PM »
See, the first game gave the player a lot of freedom in how to play the game. So far B2 looks like it will restrict you to the husk of a slow-moving behemoth of a Big Daddy but with weapon options.
I wonder if there'll be any Speed Plasmids to make Big Daddies faster...
That'd be kick-ass.

I do like one thing so far, having plasmids and weapons simultaneously rather than toggled. Which is what I expected from the first game since the weapons didn't have an alternate fire mode.
That's one of the things I liked about Halo 2 and 3 -- I only played those on the X-Box and 360, which my nephew has -- was the dual-wielding controls. Awesome controls.

Stringing combos in Bioshock 2 will be a lot more wicked now w/ being able to just fire them off without switching b/t the two.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #43 on: Friday, May 08, 2009, 03:14:43 PM »
Digital Extremes will be doing Bioshock 2's MP

BioShock 2 Multiplayer Details

[May 08, 2009, 11:15 am ET] - Share - Viewing Comments
2K Games announces details about multiplayer support in BioShock 2, saying they've recruited Digital Extremes to assist with multiplayer support in the underwater shooter. Here's what to expect:

Windsor, UK, May 8, 2009/... 2K Games, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), announced today that it has signed a partnership with Digital Extremes to develop the multiplayer experience for BioShock® 2. Under this partnership, Digital Extremes is working closely with the creative team at 2K Marin to develop a new and substantial element that enhances the lore and fiction of the BioShock universe.

“The fans asked for a multiplayer experience and we answered,” said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “With Digital Extremes delivering a multiplayer experience for BioShock 2 that features all of the things that make BioShock unique, we’re holding ourselves to a high standard so that we can deliver the depth and variety that fans of the BioShock universe demand.”

Multiplayer in BioShock 2 provides a rich prequel experience that expands the origins of the BioShock fiction. Set during the fall of Rapture, players assume the role of a Plasmid test subject for Sinclair Solutions, a premier provider of Plasmids and Tonics in the underwater city of Rapture that was first explored in the original BioShock. Players will need to use all the elements of the BioShock toolset to survive as the full depth of the BioShock experience is refined and transformed into a unique multiplayer experience that can only be found in Rapture.

Key features:

• Evolution of the genetically enhanced shooter – Earn experience points during gameplay to earn access to new Weapons, Plasmids and Tonics that can be used to create hundreds of different combinations, allowing players to develop a unique character that caters to their playing style.

• Extend the Rapture fiction – Players will step into the shoes of Rapture citizens and learn more about the fall of Rapture as they progress through the experience.

• See Rapture before the fall – Experience Rapture before it was reclaimed by the ocean and engage in combat over iconic environments in locations such as Kashmir Restaurant and Mercury Suites, all of which have been reworked from the ground up to deliver a fast-paced multiplayer experience.

• FPS veterans add their touch to the multiplayer experience – Digital Extremes brings more than 10 years of first person shooter experience including development of award-winning entries in the Unreal® and Unreal Tournament® franchise.

EDIT - June 6th, 2009:
More info from G4TV on The MP from E3 2009
« Last Edit: Saturday, June 06, 2009, 05:52:05 AM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Bioshock 2 - Update: 10 min Bioshock 2 video from GameSpot (Reply 44)
« Reply #45 on: Saturday, May 30, 2009, 06:01:41 AM »
Release date for Bioshock 2 revealed on Cult of Rapture website.

BIOSHOCK 2 HAS A RELEASE DATE
May 26, 2009

Are you ready to start counting down the days until BioShock 2 hits store shelves? You can start now! BioShock 2 will be arriving on October 30th internationally and November 3rd in North America for the Xbox 360®, PLAYSTATION® 3 system, and PC.

- Elizabeth

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Bioshock 2 - Update: Release date revealed (Reply 45)
« Reply #46 on: Thursday, July 09, 2009, 03:38:41 PM »
Arkane Studios (makers of Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic) will assist 2K Marin on the upcoming Bioshock 2.

Arkane Studios is pleased to announce its collaboration with 2K Marin and contributions to Bioshock 2 in the areas of design, animation and art. We're excited about this game, which underscores Arkane Studios' core values.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Bioshock 2 - Update: Arkane Studios to assist 2K Marin on this game (Reply 46)
« Reply #47 on: Thursday, July 09, 2009, 06:39:08 PM »
Huh.  That's something I didn't see coming.  I was a pretty big fan of Arx, though, so... cool!

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Bioshock 2 - Update: Delayed until 2010 (Reply 48)
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday, November 17, 2009, 07:16:16 PM »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Bioshock 2 - Update: Box art revealed (Reply 49)
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday, November 17, 2009, 09:13:32 PM »
I thought Arx was fantastic.  Never did play Dark Messiah, though.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: Friday, November 20, 2009, 08:31:19 PM »
HOLY SHIT DID YOU KNOW THAT THERE ARE IRON SIGHTS IN BIOSHOCK?!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #55 on: Saturday, November 21, 2009, 11:13:23 AM »
I think CoOp for Bioshock 2 MP would have been a better idea than this generic type of DeathMatch.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday, November 25, 2009, 12:41:53 PM »

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: Thursday, November 26, 2009, 12:56:33 AM »
That's just fucking creepy.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #58 on: Thursday, November 26, 2009, 01:19:19 AM »
If you didn't mention that this was cosplay, I would have thought it was just some really well done, if a little weird, fan art.  The lighting and effects make it look unreal.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #59 on: Thursday, November 26, 2009, 02:58:39 AM »
Yea when I first saw the pictures I thought it was fan art. Whatever filters and effects they used on the pictures makes them not look real.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #60 on: Thursday, November 26, 2009, 06:09:19 AM »
That's impressive cosplay!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #61 on: Thursday, November 26, 2009, 09:55:24 AM »
Yeah, that's very impressive.  I thought it was digital art at first too.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #62 on: Thursday, November 26, 2009, 10:48:39 AM »
Impressive?

That is so creepy. That woman being 30 is what is so damn creepy.

These are probably the same type of people who dress up as Mario and the Princess before they get it on at night.

edit:

wtf:

edit:

hahaha Xessive, I am reminded of what you said about being too old to hit the clubs etc.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #63 on: Thursday, November 26, 2009, 11:06:52 AM »
What does age have to do with anything?  Obviously she's too old for it, but it doesn't make the visual effect any less convincing.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #64 on: Thursday, November 26, 2009, 11:20:29 AM »
The little sisters were 8 year old little girls. This woman is clearly four times as much as that.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #65 on: Thursday, November 26, 2009, 11:26:12 AM »
I actually thought it was a conceptual work about a little sister that never quite moved on.

"Look Mr. Bubbles, an angel!"

Creepy!

Haha we ended up going to a club called "Cubes" last night! We felt not "too" old, just that by 12:30 a.m. we were ready to turn in. The club closes at 3 a.m. We acknowledged that we are, in the words of Sgt. Roger Murtaugh (Danny Glover), "gettin' too old for dis shit."

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #66 on: Thursday, November 26, 2009, 11:30:29 AM »
Well, according to the website, it is that dude's fiance.

Imagine if she gets really into it and doesn't know when it is time to stop.

SIR, I AM TERRIBLY SORRY MY WIFE TRIED TO HARVEST YOU! WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #67 on: Thursday, November 26, 2009, 11:30:48 AM »
The little sisters were 8 year old little girls. This woman is clearly four times as much as that.

Again, so what?  That doesn't somehow negate the work done on the costumes, the photography, or the post-processing.  It fooled almost all of us.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #68 on: Thursday, November 26, 2009, 12:00:16 PM »
I never said it negated those things. I just find it creepy that a role meant for a child is being played by a grown woman. I would have felt the same way had it been 40 a year old guy cosplaying as one of the kids from the Avatar cartoon or something.

There are some grown men who enjoy roleplaying as infants, in recreated nurseries with adult sized cots and toys etc. They even hire real life nurses to take care of then. You could say that their attention to detail is impressive, but when a grown man is running around wearing only a diaper, everything else really does become secondary.

I just find cosplay pathetic in general as it is... but a grown woman playing the role of a child? Too much.

But I don't see why being creeped out seeing a grown woman play the role of a child, and being impressed otherwise by the visual arts, are mutually exclusive emotions.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #69 on: Thursday, November 26, 2009, 01:43:30 PM »
They aren't.  But you said, "Impressive?  It's stupid," in so many words, and proceeded to detail that you thought it was unimpressive by virtue of your apparent issue with the person being too old.  Which I don't really get because I highly doubt she's getting off on it, and it's a game made for adults, not for children, and hence nothing like either of your other examples.  I just don't get the hostility.  It's an impressive photo shoot done by fans of a game.  I see no reason to be weirded out by it.  They went to the trouble to really do it right, not simply don a stupid wig and go to an anime convention.  I'm not into cosplay either, but that isn't really what I'd call this.  The guy is a professional graphic artist and prop designer.  To equate that with "cosplay" seems rather belittling.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #70 on: Thursday, November 26, 2009, 01:48:13 PM »
Maybe she though she fit the part of an 8 year old girl since she has no breasts.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #71 on: Thursday, November 26, 2009, 03:06:38 PM »
The whole thing was introduced as cosplay by Cobra, and I think it was described as such by a couple of other posters before I even got into the thread. I am just telling you this to explain why I thought this was cosplay.

I think GPW mentioned he was creeped out as well, and I'd be interested to hear his reasoning.

Anyway, no I am not saying this was done out of sexual roleplaying or whatever -- like I said, I would have been just as creeped out had it been some adult dressed up as child character from a cartoon.

Had the role of the little sister been played by a child, I would have appreciated the whole thing without any apprehension. I can see that this person did this to showcase his artistic skills, and display his affection for the game at the same time, but he could have just as easily used a child in his family, rather than a female adult.

Thanks to your questioning, I've been doing a bit of self examination to understand what it is that I find so creepy, and I think I have come to understand what it is. Let me try and articulate it for you... keep in mind that it is 3 in the morning here, so don't mind if I sound more imbecilic than usual.

The things I immediately noticed from that first picture were the creases on that woman's forehead; the bags under her eyes; and the prominent cheekbones and nose, that all together presented a rough and unchildlike package. I am pretty sure that if you see a telling of the Peter Pan story, where the lost children are played by Joe Pesci, Hulk Hogan, and Carrot Top, instead of say, actual children, you'd be creeped out too.

But it depends on the context, doesn't it? If this imaginary Peter Pan story where Hulk Hogan, Pesci, and Carrot Top were playing the role of the lost children, was shot straight, you'd be creeped out when their opening scene would come up. But if it were a parody, then you'd probably find the whole thing fitting... though I suppose you'd still be creeped out considering that Pesci is dead.

The thing with this piece of art is that it looks so fucking authentic. The lighting, the costumes, the background etc., are all brilliantly done, and highly detailed. If you look at the little sister's costume, you will see it is dirtied in the right places, while The Big Daddy looks as professionally done as he would in a proper movie. In that context, she looks totally out of place, because my mind naturally expects a more authentic representation.

I guess what I am saying is that the whole thing is too good for them not to have chosen a better representation of a little sister. That's automatically what my eyes drift to.

The funny thing is that had the Big Daddy looked half assed, or the background looked like a typical back alley in the guy's city, or even a part of his home, I would have found an adult playing the part of a little sister far more acceptable.

You know what this almost looks like? It is so good that it looks like a screenshot from Bioshock, with some dude having photoshopped his girlfriend's face on the little sister's body.

There is also no doubt that I am a self-hating geek, who finds it 'effed up that adults would wear costumes and stuff to tribute a game they love. It is just the way I am... I can't help it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #72 on: Thursday, November 26, 2009, 08:53:58 PM »
And that's cool, I'm not saying you have to be into it.  I'm not into people dressing up as shit either (well, unless it's this, because almost-naked girls are usually pretty okay in my book), but this guy's work is still impressive.  That's really all I was trying to say.  Though really, how many little girls would want to take part in that in the first place?  I'm thinking not too many.  Most would be scared by it or would just stand around looking stupid and smiling blankly, not understanding what was going on or really looking the part.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: Friday, November 27, 2009, 12:19:26 AM »
I think GPW mentioned he was creeped out as well, and I'd be interested to hear his reasoning.

I saw it and it creeped me out.  Didn't really think about it more, but you bring up some good points.  I don't know if there's anything behind it, but yeah - that chick is just whacked looking, but now that you explained it, why the fuck didn't they just get a kid?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #74 on: Friday, November 27, 2009, 12:30:40 AM »
Apparently I'm the only one that didnt see anything wrong with the images.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #75 on: Friday, November 27, 2009, 12:47:42 AM »
I know this discussion is quite interesting, but I am just wondering if any of you have seen the collector's edition for this?

That looks really brilliant doesn't it?

Includes:

For $99 ($89 for PC), here's what you'll be getting:

# A 13"x13" premium packaging with special art on both the slipcase and the box cover.

# Three posters featuring vintage ads from Rapture (rolled)

# A vinyl 180g LP featuring the orchestral score from the original BioShock

# CD containing the BioShock 2 orchestral score

# A 164 page 8"x11" hardbound artbook chock full of developer commentary

# A copy of the game

I would rather have the Big Daddy figurine, but the vinyl sounds like a really ice and suitable collector's piece.

The strange thing is that Dan Stapleton was talking about how he couldn't see the appeal of it at all. He was wondering how many people even would be able to play an LP? I wouldn't be able to play it, but I'd still want the damn thing.

The only reason I am not going to preorder this is that 2K boston aren't doing the game, so I have to see what this other team  comes up with. The other issue I have is that the major appeal of the game was to visit rapture, and explore the intricately constructed world.

If I wanted to do that, I'd just play the original game again.

I don't see what it is about Bioshock 2 that would set it apart from its predecessor. The previews have actually made things worse... If I want to play an action game I'd play something else.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #76 on: Friday, November 27, 2009, 01:05:43 AM »
Agreed.  I actually don't have that much interest in Bioshock 2.  The first one was a good game, and the world of Rapture was quite amazing.  But it took me over a year to finish the game because I lost interest a couple of hours in.  Only through perseverance was I able to reach a key plot point which made the game interesting enough to finish it up for me.  From what I've seen, Bioshock 2 just seems to be almost the same thing.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: Friday, November 27, 2009, 01:07:55 AM »

I don't think there's anything wrong with the picture, it just rubs me the wrong way...because it's fucking hideous.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: Friday, November 27, 2009, 01:16:15 AM »

You're not the only one.  Well, more accurately, I was disturbed, but not in a way inconsistent with how the little sisters themselves creeped me out in Bioshock.  I don't see how this mimicry is any more shocking than the original artistic expression.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #79 on: Friday, November 27, 2009, 01:20:39 AM »
Agreed.  I actually don't have that much interest in Bioshock 2.  The first one was a good game, and the world of Rapture was quite amazing.  But it took me over a year to finish the game because I lost interest a couple of hours in.  Only through perseverance was I able to reach a key plot point which made the game interesting enough to finish it up for me.  From what I've seen, Bioshock 2 just seems to be almost the same thing.

Yea exactly, the game was beautiful to look at, but was almost a chore until the *twist*. It really picked up for me after that.

I think the game would have been more effective had

a) the twist come earlier.

b) the protagonist been more fleshed out than just the initial cut scene.

The could have done this with more flashbacks and whatnot. While the twist was awesome, it would have been more emotional had we been more invested in the main character. The game was still extremely good, but just needed better pacing.