Author Topic: Mass Effect 2  (Read 77287 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Mass Effect 2 - PC DRM and system requirements revealed (Reply 22)
« Reply #40 on: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 11:39:17 AM »
Preordered the collector's editon. Strange thing is that I did that without playing ME1... I think Dragon Age, my overall love for Bioware, and the lack of DRM all had something to do with it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #41 on: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 11:44:57 AM »
Preordered the collector's editon. Strange thing is that I did that without playing ME1... I think Dragon Age, my overall love for Bioware, and the lack of DRM all had something to do with it.

Mass Effect 1 was great, Pug. As good as KOTOR was, I'll take ME over KOTOR.

Given Bioware's history of consistency - I doubt you're making a mistake pre-ordering ME2. Even if ME2 is more of the same, as long as it ain't buggy, it's probably still gonna be quite good...

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #42 on: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 01:58:41 PM »
I preordred it even though I still need to play through the first (bleh, preorder bonuses). The collector's edition was sold out though. I shouldn't have gone for it anyway, I'm already spreading my cash too thin.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #43 on: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 02:00:08 PM »
I'll just toss out a reminder that you guys really do need to play through the first game I think if you're going to get anything out of the 2nd.  From what I've gathered it'll be a pretty empty experience and you'll have no idea what's going on if you don't play the first part of the story.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 03:56:44 PM »
Yeah, I'd really suggest hammering through the first game. If you get on it now, you can  easily finish it before the second comes out (missing some side-quests, of course).

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #45 on: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 04:04:22 PM »
Yea I fully intend on playing through the first one before starting the second. In fact I think I'll start now.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #46 on: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 04:11:34 PM »
Yea I fully intend on playing through the first one before starting the second. In fact I think I'll start now.

Enjoy! ME is awesome.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 04:18:05 PM »
This is the game that saw the demise of my 1st Xbox.  I didn't get too far into it, and I haven't gone back to it since.  It was getting good too.  I have to retry at some point.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #48 on: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 05:43:10 PM »
This is the game that saw the demise of my 1st Xbox.  I didn't get too far into it, and I haven't gone back to it since.  It was getting good too.  I have to retry at some point.

It's a great game - you really should retry and finish it.
Especially if you plan to play ME2.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #49 on: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 07:51:34 PM »
The preorder bonus and the collector's edition stuff is pretty standard fare and not enough incentive to shell out more money for it.  I do like the CE cover art a lot more than the regular edition though.

Anyway -- can't wait for this one to come out, but chances are I won't be getting it on release day... maybe a couple weeks down the road though.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #50 on: Monday, January 11, 2010, 04:52:12 AM »
I'm a serious sucker for preorder and collector's edition bonuses. I always think I'm gonna be missing out if I don't get the in-game type bonuses, though I can't really recall any that I felt that way about after the fact.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #51 on: Monday, January 11, 2010, 04:59:12 AM »
Yea I am in the same boat as W7RE.

Mostly I do feel a little remorse after I actually get the CE...

In this case iPPi, the CE is just $10 more so I can justify it.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #52 on: Monday, January 11, 2010, 06:54:31 AM »
I've never gotten a CE of anything.  The price point is just too high for my tastes.  I can hardly justify the $50 or $60 going rate for the games themselves anymore.  The CEs never even cross my mind.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #53 on: Monday, January 11, 2010, 07:25:08 AM »
In-game items keep me from buying rather than encourage me.  If there's actually something to a CE that's worth the money, fine, but paying for cheats and other such bullshit is beyond my sense of decency.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #54 on: Monday, January 11, 2010, 07:55:55 AM »
Not to derail this too much, but I think I've come across the worst offender I've seen as far as "buy our game new, and day one!" incentives. Battlefield: Bad Company 2. Of course, you get a silenced AK-47 (for use in multiplayer) if you preorder at gamestop. But then they've got a limited edition. It's the same price as the normal edition, but only available near launch. It gives you mounted guns for control from the driver seat of any vehicle, increased armor for any vehicle you drive, motion sensor for your vehicles to tell you if enemies are nearby, and a tracking dart gun that allows friendly rockets to lock onto a vehicle, even out of line of sight. All of this is exclusive to the limited edition, and usable in multiplayer.

But the AvP collector's edition? Life sized articulated face hugger. me want.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #55 on: Monday, January 11, 2010, 08:39:21 AM »
W7RE thanks for the tip. It does look good:

What I find interesting is when games have fantastic CEs like this, but no one is sure of the game itself yet.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #57 on: Monday, January 11, 2010, 05:05:45 PM »
wtf?  That's definitely the worst I've ever heard.  That's just ridiculous and then some.  And then some more just to be a dick.  Screw that noise.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #58 on: Monday, January 11, 2010, 09:04:44 PM »
Just canceled my preorder.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #59 on: Monday, January 11, 2010, 09:20:42 PM »
Of what?  Heh, we sort of started talking about a lot of stuff in here (and apologies for my vague post... I was responding to W7's comments about Bad Company 2... posting on a cell phone takes getting used to).

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #60 on: Monday, January 11, 2010, 09:26:42 PM »
I was joking about canceling my ME2 preorder after that ridiculous trailer.

That's actually the first ME2 trailer I saw... I read on shacknews that the others were even worse. Oh well, as long as it doesn't affect the main game.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #61 on: Monday, January 11, 2010, 10:20:07 PM »
You know, I haven't watched a single thing about it yet except one internet ad that was fucking terrible.  Not was terrible was the Dragon Age stuff, but still really bad.  Who the fuck are they letting handle advertising for their games, seriously?

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #62 on: Monday, January 11, 2010, 11:00:35 PM »
The only thing I've really seen about ME2 was the developer demonstration GiantBomb did last E3. 4-5 hours into ME1 I'm not regretting my ME2 preorder at all.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #63 on: Monday, January 11, 2010, 11:21:06 PM »
I think they realize they have the core audience in the bag anyway.

The advertising seems to bringing in the more casual/on the fence crowd. If you look at the comment sections of the Dragon Age adverts on youtube, you will note that the majority seem to be extremely excited about all the "sex and violence" and the "heavy metal music". I bet they all got quite a shock when they actually played the game.

I did note quite a few old school Bioware fans expressing disgust, but at the same time hoping that the game was going to be quite different.

One of the funnier exchanges I saw was along the lines of:

Viewer 1: Wow! That trailer is awesome! I can't wait for this game! What music is that?

Viewer 2: I think that's something from Manson!

Viewer 1: It is just so different! It isn't every day you see a fantasy game with heavy metal music!

Viewer 2: I know right?!

I bet they were pretty shocked with how the game actually ended up.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #64 on: Monday, January 11, 2010, 11:32:03 PM »
Yeah, I saw a bunch of stuff like that too.

Also, please never refer to Manson as heavy metal ever again or I will be forced to kill you.  Pyro and Belmont will help me.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday, January 12, 2010, 12:21:03 AM »
Viewer 1: I am sorry.

edit:

I know it isn't. That was actually what the guy was saying. :P

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday, January 12, 2010, 07:37:53 AM »
It just.... it curdles my blood.  And makes me want to find that freakbait and rip his eyes out.  Man I hate that guy.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
Re: Mass Effect 2 - Update: Free DLC to come w/ new copies of the game (Reply 67)
« Reply #69 on: Thursday, January 21, 2010, 07:54:40 PM »
Mass Effect 2 Launch Trailer!

It looks fucking amazing.  Just a couple more days until ME2 is released.  I'm really excited about this game but I probably won't be picking it up on launch day.  I intend to pick it up in a couple of weeks though.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Mass Effect 2 - Update: Free DLC to come w/ new copies of the game (Reply 67)
« Reply #70 on: Thursday, January 21, 2010, 11:27:59 PM »
Holy shit, now to figure out if Steam or retail is cheaper.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #71 on: Friday, January 22, 2010, 12:23:56 AM »
Damn, that was pretty epic.  I can see where they're tying the 2nd novel into it.  Looks great.  Ugh... why the fuck can't I ever find time to finish the first?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #72 on: Friday, January 22, 2010, 07:29:40 AM »

It looks fucking amazing.  Just a couple more days until ME2 is released.  I'm really excited about this game but I probably won't be picking it up on launch day.  I intend to pick it up in a couple of weeks though.

Wow. That trailer was pretty damn kick-ass and epic, to say the least.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #73 on: Friday, January 22, 2010, 07:35:09 AM »
i'm excited. i've been avoiding the trailers because i don't want to spoil anything for myself and also i think my head, heart and balls might pop if i were anticipating it anymore. i allowed myself to watch that last one though and all i can say is thank [diety] it's only a week away.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #74 on: Friday, January 22, 2010, 07:41:19 AM »
I first experienced the RRoD joy in ME1, and I guess that put me off the game since.  That trailer is very enticing, but I really need to get through the first game before moving on to 2.  There are several games on my wish list ahead of this one too.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #75 on: Friday, January 22, 2010, 07:42:14 AM »
Looks like I might have to keep on my eyes really peeled on this, once I get Dragon Age actually done...

EDIT:
Rumor has it the Mass Effect 2 - The Cerberus Network DLC will go for $15, for those who do not buy ME2 brand new.

EDIT 2:
More info on The Cerberus Network DLC.

Mass Effect 2 Free and Paid DLC Plans Clarified
by Chris Faylor Jan 22, 2010 12:10pm CST tags: Mass Effect 2, DLC,

While all new copies of Mass Effect 2 will come with a "single-use unlock code" that enables owners to download free add-ons through the in-game "Cerberus Network," developer BioWare is unsurprisingly planning to charge for some later add-ons.

"We'll definitely have for-pay DLC down the road too," BioWare's co-founder Greg Zeschuk told Joystiq. "It's not going to be all free DLC for Mass Effect 2 -- far from that. There'll be paid DLC packs, and there'll be stuff available through Cerberus as well."

Those that don't buy a new copy of the PC and Xbox 360 action-RPG (due January 26) will have to pay 1200 Microsoft Points ($15) to access the Cerebus Network and its various free add-ons--making it the same value as the Stone Prisoner download that came free with new copies of Dragon Age: Origins--according to Kotaku and Bitmob.
« Last Edit: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 07:01:42 AM by MysterD »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #76 on: Friday, January 22, 2010, 12:28:26 PM »

Hmm... that looks pretty good. The trailer looks very similar to the trailer for the new Star Trek movie.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #78 on: Friday, January 22, 2010, 11:53:49 PM »
I downloaded it cuz I'm a dick.  It's pretty awesome so far, but I'm about 5 hours in as a soldier class and I think I regret my class decision.  It may be too early to tell, or that I was spoiled by the depth of Dragon Age, but it seems like a straight action game.  There is no inventory to speak of and it seems more consolized than the first, even.  I swear it feels like I'm playing Gears of War in a different setting.  I'm like 5 hours in and it's definitely great in terms of presentation -- the graphics are mindblowing and the production values are over the top -- but when I see a screen of the "illusive man" (sic) at the end of every "mission," I'm ejected from the immersion that the first game perfected.  I like it a lot, but it feels just different.  I need to sink more time into it to see where things go.

That said, the introductory sequence is the most bad-ass awesome shit they could cram into 10 minutes.  Your jaw will drop.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #79 on: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 06:24:32 AM »
IGN Review - 9.6 for PC and X360
Video Review.
Written Review.

Improvements over the original
Speaking of pleasing people, BioWare listened to every last bit of criticism leveled at Mass Effect 1. That game, particularly on Xbox 360, suffered from a few technical and presentational issues. This sequel is a much, much cleaner experience. Long elevator rides and slow-loading textures are gone, replaced with (occasionally lengthy) loading screens. Generic cut-and-paste side quests and empty planets to explore have been totally ripped out. Pretty much everything that anybody took even the slightest issue with in Mass Effect 1 has been axed or rebuilt entirely.

"Streamlined" Inventory and Skill Systems
The improvements aren't only technical. The inventory and skill systems have been made more manageable, streamlined to the point that they might initially appear too thin for a role-playing game. Keep playing, however, and you'll begin to see strength and depth emerge as you further customize your squad.

One of the biggest reasons why this streamlined approach to character customization works is the retooled character classes. The same six specialization options are back, ranging from the Jedi-inspired biotic users to the technically inclined engineer. This time, however, they've been defined and differentiated much more clearly, each getting its own set of weapon specializations and unique skills. Playing as a soldier is a vastly different combat experience compared to the vanguard or infiltrator. Each class has its own approach to battle, which is then further defined by how you choose to outfit your squad and where you assign skill points. By the end of the game, everything about Mass Effect 2 will be shaped by your choices – from the story to the ebb and flow of combat.

Minor Technical Issues
Even though it's a cleaner production, Mass Effect 2 isn't a perfectly polished game. I've played through the game twice and during that time experienced sound cutting out, my character getting stuck in the environment and full game crashes. Thankfully, these miscues are infrequent, which allows the art style to shine. Mass Effect 2 is a visual treat, filled with breathtaking landscapes and an awesome attention to detail.

If you're playing on PC and have a powerful rig (I took Shepard for a spin on an Alienware Intel Core 2 Quad 2.00 GHz prcoessor, dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M cards, and 6 GB of memory), it will look even better.

PC's HUD is different from X360
On PC, the heads-up display is a bit different, custom built to work with a keyboard and mouse. Both versions are largely identical, though you will get a few more options for customizing hot keys and skill usage on the PC. Which works better for you will be a matter of personal preference.