Special > Help

Unreal Tournament 3 and Que's inability to host.

(1/3) > >>

Quemaqua:
This seems to be a longstanding problem for many UT3 players, and nobody has any good suggestions for help.  I've talked about it a bit with Scott, who has been very helpful, but I'm a fucking idiot when it comes to networking since... well, I've never done any.  I've never had more than one computer other than laptops which I never felt compelled to network.  So I'm totally new at this.  But I just got a router and a Playstation 3 which hooks to the internet wirelessly through it, and while I've gotten all that to work fine, what I *can't* get to work is hosting an Unreal Tournament 3 match.

Basically, it says I need to set up port forwarding or put my PC into the DMZ.  I don't want to do the latter, and have tried the former using the values found at portforward.com for my router, the LinkSys WRT54G.  That didn't work.  Starting anything in UT3 still gives me the port forwarding/DMZ message and idol can't see my server when he tries to connect.  I contacted Comcast support to try something, and they basically didn't have any answers despite being more helpful than I thought they'd be.  I upgraded the firmware of the router, tried again, no dice.

Scott gave me a suggestion about having the modem set to bridge mode, which I don't entirely understand having no network experience and not truly knowing what a bridge does.  He also said something about setting up port forwarding on my modem *and* router, but I can't figure out how to change any setting on my modem whatsoever.  I know how to get to my router's web interface, and that's about it.

So does anybody have any ideas?  Remember I'm braindead when it comes to this so don't assume I know what the fancy acronyms mean.  =)  But seriously, any help is appreciated.

scottws:
I sent you another PM.  I think your modem is in bridge mode, so lets forget about that for a bit.  It shouldn't be posing the problems that it would be if it was also acting as a router.

I didn't realize this was on the PS3.  The values I gave you were for the PC version.  I'll have to look into what they are on the PS3.

Quemaqua:
No no, this is PC, not PS3.  The PS3 is simply the reason I got and hooked up the router.  Sorry if I mistyped that.

scottws:
Ok, well at this point I can think of two things:

1)  Let's set up a time to do a Remote Assistance session.  I could check out some things and make sure they're set right.

or

2)  Enable UPnP on the router and on the computer.  See if that helps any.  I think UPnP is a security hole, but I'll leave it up to you if you think it's worth the risk.

Quemaqua:
Well, I don't even see how to set up UPnP.  Looked at a couple of quick guides and don't even have the option of turning it on in my router's settings that I can find.  Some people seem to think my router supports it, some think it doesn't.  I don't know what to think as I have the latest firmware and no tab for it.  I don't want to make you come over here and start looking at my setup, either.  Heaven knows you don't need any extra work, and that's really all this is when you get down to it.  I don't feel right asking you to do that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version