Author Topic: If you could design a game to be produced and distributed..  (Read 3459 times)

Offline shock

• Poster Child
If you could design a game to be produced and distributed..
« on: Tuesday, October 10, 2006, 03:01:19 PM »
What kind of game would it be?  Innovation being one of the most important goals, naturally.

I know it is kind of open ended, but where do you see that developers have pushed far enough in a genre?  In which have they not?  That kind of stuff.

Personally, I see MMO games as being one area where there is a lot of opportunity for creativity and innovation.  Especially with branching out from the RPG elements and into other elements of play, perhaps.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: If you could design a game to be produced and distributed..
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, October 10, 2006, 03:24:44 PM »
Personally, I would like to make a single-player PC RPG that ships w/ a very deep SDK right along w/ it, of course. I would love to have a game that's supported by a very huge mod community.

The focus of the game's main quest would NOT be about saving the world and/or saving a world; that's been done too much.

I would rather the main story be focused on there being a bunch of different small quests, but all of them really pertain to the main character trying to save themself from their own demise and his/her own party's demise, based on the actions your main character performs in the game -- more so, on moral decisions of good vs. evil vs. neutral vs. that cloudy gray line somewhere. And based on your character reacts to their horrible past and reputation as a so-called "hero", in which how they deal w/ it and all -- especially when discussing it w/ other party members and all.

There is even the thought in my head of if you keep instigating your demise and the party members enough (depending on who you take in your party and all), I'd like the entire party to eventually turn completely on the gamer, too. Depending on your actions throughout the game, who knows -- they could either do it one-by-one, few by few, and even do it completely as a team simultaneously by the end of all the adventures you all will go on.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, October 10, 2006, 04:45:06 PM »
A large open GTA-like city swarmed with zombies. Your goals are to simply survive with your small band of people. Gather medial supplies and food, try to contact the outside world to get rescued. Every time the game is started, the city gets randomly generated.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, October 10, 2006, 05:25:48 PM »
I'd make a stealth genre game.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, October 10, 2006, 06:12:39 PM »
A game where you could kill fucking douchebags because thats what I wanna do right now.

...sorry in a bad mood

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, October 10, 2006, 06:13:07 PM »
Mine is what idol said.  I had a huge thread about it before with all my ideas.  Dunno' what happened to it.  The main thing would be NPCs that you could rescue who would perform actual functions, so you can play it safe and keep them at the home base, or you could send them out in the hopes of them finding more gear.  Some would be researchers, some would be brawlers, etc.  The smart guys could eventually come up with better designs for defenses and such, but you'd have to make sure that you defended them from the zombies who try to invade.  The zombies would have a "flock" AI system where they'd be a piece of cake alone, but lone zombies could eventually lock into a bigger flock, and bigger flocks would pose a huge threat to your home base without adequate defense both structurally (traps, wires, boards, spikes, whatever) and man-wise (big guys with pipes and guns, etc.).  I think I'd have some kind of thing so that lone zombies take more damage and are harder to kill, yet they pose basically no health-threat to the player, but flock zombies are the opposite.  They die really fast, but they dish out huge damage and move faster.  So if you run across a lone zombie, it's like... do I waste extra ammo and kill it, or is it far enough away from the known flocks (which would be only moderately difficult to track) that I can save the ammo and not kill it?

But yeah, I've been wanting this game for years.  Dead Rising came really close in a lot of ways, but it wasn't a full city and the NPCs are just there to be rescued.  I want it to be that the player is in charge, but he essentially builds a team of survivors through the scenario and has to use risky play styles in order to get new gear... so that taking more risk means greater reward, but also has the chance of cutting you off from the home base if a flock of zombies gets too close... and playing it safe means you'll be able to keep better tabs on the base, but you wont' be able to get much in the way of new gear and stuff.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, October 10, 2006, 10:30:58 PM »
Those are interesting ideas, idol and Que.  Would the game have a set goal/storyline or be pretty open with some quests/missions on the side(like GTA)?

I also liked yours MysterD.  That sounds like it would really appeal to the emotions of the player, which is something that I am looking for!

I am brainstorming for a group project in my writing class.  I lucked out and got videogames as the theme, so our focus has been on them.  Anyway, the gist of this project is to create a document that could be submitted to producers that would get them to buy into your idea.  Don't feel abused.  :P  My group and I have been brainstorming a ton and have come up with a few workable ideas, but the zombie one sounds quite compelling.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 10, 2006, 10:56:23 PM by shock »
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, October 10, 2006, 10:42:53 PM »
I never got so far as to have a goal or ending. I think simply a game where survival is the only goal. Kind of like...Animal Crossing with zombies. A game that you drop into here and there over a long period of time as opposed to something you play and beat in a week.

Also, the game needs lots of gore and make the killing fun.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, October 11, 2006, 12:14:55 AM »
Everyone loves zombies.  =)

I never really envisioned having "missions" so much as a randomized world (even if the city wasn't random, the NPCs and gear should be) which you can use to your advantage if you play shrewdly.  I actually did have a few ideas at one point about like capturing a broadcast tower to get the message out about the city's peril so the government couldn't just nuke you away, and taking over a bridge control building to lower a bridge in order to escape, but I've forgotten a lot of those ideas.  Nonetheless, there would be lots of incremental fun like raiding police stations/gun shops for weapons, hospitals for health items, home improvement stores for base-building supplies, etc.  So as you got to certain points new ventures would become possible, allowing you to explore the city further and find ever-greater things, hopefully earning your freedom eventually.  A plot could probably be added if it didn't revolve around government conspiracy or genetic mishap, or whatever.  Maybe like a personal thing where you hope to find and rescue a family member or your girlfriend or something simple.  But really, this would be more like Pirates! (you played that, right?) except in a city with zombies and an old-school, top-down GTA style (as in the first and second GTA games).  Being able to actually enter buildings like kinda' mini-dungeons would be cool too, adding more to the gear-gathering process, but that wouldn't even be entirely necessary.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, October 11, 2006, 12:49:35 AM »
Yea that whole zombie premise sounds awesome. See I agree with the survival idea. I always envisioned an apocalyptic setting like in Road Warrior, and you'd just drive around trying to find food and gasoline and other things to keep your vehicle alive. Then perhaps rescue people who in turn help you.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, October 11, 2006, 02:12:51 PM »
I also liked yours MysterD.  That sounds like it would really appeal to the emotions of the player, which is something that I am looking for!
Glad you liked my idea. :)

Oh, and in my story, the following type of characters would have to be in there, just b/c they are what they are: Vampires, Zombies, Werewolves, Succubi (or whatever the plural of Succubus is), and Dragons; hehe. :)