Author Topic: Time flies  (Read 1434 times)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Time flies
« on: Tuesday, May 13, 2008, 06:17:39 AM »
I was reading this article on upcoming games in 2008 at Anandtech, and then I got to Ghostbusters.  It said the movie was released 24 years ago!  I was shocked by that.  I mean I know it's not a recent movie by any stretch of the imagination, but I hadn't really thought that it had been that long.  It got me thinking...

It's been 31 years since Star Wars.  It's been 20 years since the Bengals were in a Super Bowl.  18 years since the Reds were in the world series.  14 years since I started driving and about the same since Soundgarden released Superunknown.  12 years since I graduated high school.  11 years since the release of Goldeneye for the N64.  Nearly 7 years since Grand Theft Auto III and 9/11 and since this community's departure from IGN.  5 years since I stopped working for the ice company (which I worked at for 10 years).  4 years since I quit smoking.  I've been with Jennie 3½ years.  Lucas (Jennie's son) was just about to turn 3 when I met him.  He's going to turn 7 this summer.  I'm 30!

It's crazy how fast time seemingly goes by the older you get.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Time flies
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, May 13, 2008, 06:51:12 AM »
I know, it creeps me out.  I try not to think about it, frankly.  Whenever I acknowledge that I've been at my job for over 6 years, I get a little... weird inside.  And when I think about how long Julia and I have been married and how long it's been since my father passed away...

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, May 13, 2008, 12:58:00 PM »
It's crazy how fast time seemingly goes by the older you get.

You know how it's impossible to convince kids that they're not immortal?  That's the key right there.  With the leisurely flow of time when you're young, old age is like something that could never happen to you.  I remember summer break lasting forever.  I'm sorry to tell you the change in perception only gets worse.

It will be 38 years since I moved to Cinci in a couple of weeks.  It's been nearly 30 years since I graduated college.  28 years since I got married (and going on 5 since I got divorced).  I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey in the theater when it opened [hell, I watched the moon landing], let alone Star Wars (9 times) and Ghostbusters.  I watched the Bengals play in the Ice Bowl, and cheered the Big Red Machine to its back-to-back sweep of playoffs (3 games) and the series (4 games) from Ohio State U in 1976.

Time is brutal.  It can wash away everything that matters to you.  There's a sort of prayer in an old song called O Caritas.  "Give me time forever, here in my time."  I understand it now.  A long life is a curse if you outlive your time.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, May 13, 2008, 08:03:21 PM »
I know I'm way younger than everyone else here but when I first started to say '10 years ago' casually I found the whole thing really weird and realized I was no longer a kid.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, May 13, 2008, 08:37:48 PM »
I would like to kill myself.  People like me don't do well out of our twenties.