Author Topic: North Korea is now a nuclear power  (Read 34204 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: North Korea is now a nuclear power
« Reply #40 on: Friday, October 13, 2006, 03:28:57 PM »
Sometimes you see videos of people filming all the contractors picking up mexicans outside of hardware stores to work for the day.  These guys do nothing but berate the mexicans and call the contractors 'traitors'...now, if you were going to ask me who I'd pick to kick out the country do you think it'd be the guys wanting to work, or the guys sitting on their asses filming them? 

Look, just because you think you deserve $20/hr to do something someone else can do just as well for $10 doesn't mean you're entitled to it.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #41 on: Friday, October 13, 2006, 03:54:52 PM »
I see what you're saying, and I don't think anyone can deny that Mexicans are willing to work.  I mean landscaping and cooking are not glamourous or easy jobs, and they seem to be pretty reliable and do a good job as far as I am concerned.

I think people in the U.S. are not happy about the influx of Mexicans for other reasons though, some of which were mentioned.  For instance, obviously other than the relatively small population of Native Americans, the United States is a country founded by immigrants.  English, French, German, Polish, Irish, etc.  Seems to me pretty much everyone learned how to speak English well enough to communicate with everyone else.

But recently, there has been a sharp, noticible trend of immigrants who speak Spanish but not English.  Or very, very little English... like a few words.  Why do we suddenly have multi-language menus and signs?  Can these people not learn English as the Germans and French and Polish immigrants in the past did?

My ex-girlfriend Diana was of Russian descent.  She lived in the Soviet Union  until age 9.  She didn't speak a lick of English when she arrived shortly after the USSR collapsed.  Yet you would never know it by talking to her today.  Her mom had to learn English at age 31.  While she has a very noticible Russian accent, she has excellent grammar.

What makes these Spanish-speaking individuals so special that we have to pander to them especially when they aren't even legally entitled to be in our country?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #42 on: Friday, October 13, 2006, 06:23:31 PM »
Exactly.  We don't have nearly enough jobs for everyone in this country.  So the ones that are willing to work... the fuck do I care?  They'll work for half the price because they can live in conditions like they did back where they came from -- sharing a single house with 20 other people.  Most of us don't consider that reasonable, nor is that part of our culture.  So to hear you say it, gpw, because they're willing to work for peanuts and live like pack animals, that means I should change and do the same?  Fuck that.  Why are they being pandered to when half of them DON'T work?  And don't even try to tell me that's a stereotype.  I work for the fucking government and I see it every day of my damned life.  Of course plenty of them are willing to work, but there are an awful lot who aren't, and an awful lot who barge into my office expecting us to give them the world for free because they think that's what America is all about: being handed shit even though you did nothing to deserve it.

Fuck that.  Fuck that six ways to Sunday.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #43 on: Friday, October 13, 2006, 07:25:14 PM »
we live in a worldwide economy now. we all need to get used to it. you want money, you fucking earn it.

i'm drunk though, so what do i know, apart from the fact that there are now more polish in my country than there are in warsaw. you don't want to work for minimum wage? - well someone else will.... (hence my decision to go back to university and do something worthwhile).

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #44 on: Friday, October 13, 2006, 07:36:00 PM »
Sometimes you see videos of people filming all the contractors picking up mexicans outside of hardware stores to work for the day.  These guys do nothing but berate the mexicans and call the contractors 'traitors'...now, if you were going to ask me who I'd pick to kick out the country do you think it'd be the guys wanting to work, or the guys sitting on their asses filming them? 

Look, just because you think you deserve $20/hr to do something someone else can do just as well for $10 doesn't mean you're entitled to it.

This is exactly the reason that a large sector of our workforce is dependent on mexican labor. If all the illegals in this country suddenly vanished, the cost of construction in this country would dramatically increase. Now personally I have no problem with them working, but they need to pay taxes if they want to live in this country. Plain and simple.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #45 on: Friday, October 13, 2006, 11:13:12 PM »
We need a real study on that, though. Ok, so we drop kick illegals out (want to make that clear. I dont hate mexicans, just the illegals). Those jobs need to be filled by someone else. If its a legal resident of this country, they probably wont do it for next to nothing like the illegals. So they get a fair wage, and the prices on the goods that come out of it go up. Produce, contruction, whatever.

However, some things might go down. How about all that healthcare that isnt going out for free? Personally, I'd like to see hospitals that can stay open. Since the wages are on the up and up, there will be taxes coming in from the workers. Those legal residents can get off welfare and other assitance.

I wonder how it would balance out. And frankly, even if it didnt balance out completely...whats another 5 cents a pound for strawberries?

Heh, I thought that was funny when someone said the prices of strawberries would go up if we kicked out illegals. Hello? Not far from here there is a strawberry farm. Granted, they pay workers during the growing season to weed the fields. But come picking season theres nothing. People come out and pay extra to go out and pick it themselves. Honestly. Place is always packed.

*EDIT*

We went from NK with nukes to illegals. Love this forum.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #46 on: Friday, October 13, 2006, 11:33:50 PM »
Haha I haven't read this thread in a few days, and when I just looked in I was confused, I double-checked the title to make sure I'm in the right thread. I had to backtrack to see the origin of the discussion hehe :P

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: Saturday, October 14, 2006, 12:18:29 AM »

...I think people in the U.S. are not happy about the influx of Mexicans for other reasons though, some of which were mentioned.  For instance, obviously other than the relatively small population of Native Americans, the United States is a country founded by immigrants.  English, French, German, Polish, Irish, etc.  Seems to me pretty much everyone learned how to speak English well enough to communicate with everyone else.

But recently, there has been a sharp, noticible trend of immigrants who speak Spanish but not English.  Or very, very little English... like a few words.  Why do we suddenly have multi-language menus and signs?  Can these people not learn English as the Germans and French and Polish immigrants in the past did?

What makes these Spanish-speaking individuals so special that we have to pander to them especially when they aren't even legally entitled to be in our country?

It's pretty much a modern myth that immigrants now learn the language and the culture of North American countries slowly then they did a hundred years ago.  You have to think that the major European migrations happened from countries with similar languages and cultures.  Scotts, Irish, English, and the like.  Those are a given.  However, the next largest...the 'original' russian immigrants (WWI era),  influx of asian immigrants (public works), and Italians didn't intigrate nearly as well.  That's why in a lot of major cities you have Little Italy, China Town, or Little Odessa.   When these people came over in mass numbers they settled together because of cultural and language differences with the current inhabitants.  Hence, they didn't intigrate or pick up the language nearly as well as you might think.   

Usually immigrants who do pick up the language well are second generation, highly educated, or arrive in times where there aren't a massive influx of their people (or just settle in alternate areas).  Of course, there are exceptions, but really, the Mexicans today are no different then the Asians 100 years ago.

As for why companies and even governments pander to them, that's all about the marketing dollars.  It's a large portion of the population, so you're going to try to cater to them a bit.  Most of the bank machines and such here have like 6 language options, and everything that is remotely similar to a menu or instruction has to be in at least English and French (speaking of people who never intigrated).  Besides, there's really nothing wrong with a little multiculturalism. 

As for Que's post, it's hard to tell if you're talking about immigrants or illegal immigrants.  Eitherway, that is pretty much what america is about....an attitude of entitlement. As for the lack of jobs in america, a lot of that stems from said attitude.  Just because you were born in america and you got your GED doesn't mean you have the right to earn 40,000 a year.  You either have to be intelligent, hard working, lucky, or a combination.   As for immigrants undercutting, while that is a general concern when it comes to illegal, it doesn't change the fact that it's the way the world works.  In almost every real world job interview you walk into they ask you your desired salary.  The guy who's the most qualified and undercuts the others is the guy that gets the job.  Every time any type of contract is handed out it's usually to the company that offers the best work for the lowert price or whatever the ideal equilibrium is for whatever the contract refers to.  It's just the way the world works.  Yeah, it's unfair that there are illegal immigrants out there that do this, just as it's unfair that they skip line into the country, but you can't blame the contractors...they're just buisnessmen, and quite frankly, at least they're contributing something more to society then those who do nothing but run around filming them.

As for you changing and 'living like a pack rat', I have no idea where you got that from, but looking at it from a realist perspective - if you find yourself in a position where that could happen and you wish to stay competitive maybe you should. Life is all about choices, if you find yourself in a position where you have to make that choice then that sucks, but lowering your standard of living (or doing something proactive like finding another field of work) might be a wiser one then just not having any work at all and sitting around drinking all day and bitching about it.

As for Idol's post, he's pretty much right...there is no real study.  It'd be an interesting one, but if I was to wager on it I'd bet that it wouldn't even out at all.  Usually the majority cost of construction is labour, and that would probably skyrocket.  That gets passed on to the subcontractor, to the contractor, to the owner, to whoever hires them (or in lost buisness for whatever they don't buy to make up for it), finally to major industry and then to the consumer.  No one is going to absorb 100% or even a large portion of the price rise themselves, it'll be broken down a bit for everyone. 

As said before, however, that in itself may help itself balance out a bit by a loss of services.  Really, who knows...it's one of those things that's pointless to argue about because really even economists are just relying on pure theory when they discuss it and there's no real world data really to back it up.

Look, I'm not a supporter of illegal immigrants by any means and I personally woulnd't have any real objection to expelling them on a theoretical level...however, they do play a scapegoat role in our society.  I also can't help but notice that a lot of people tend to be bitching about immigrants in general when the topic comes up and I find it somewhat amusing.  My original post on the subject wasn't so much in the support of illegals as it was making fun of people criticizing them for stealing jobs when a lot of the time these people are total fucking deadbeats...with an attitude of entitlement.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: Saturday, October 14, 2006, 05:45:56 AM »
Exactly.  We don't have nearly enough jobs for everyone in this country.  So the ones that are willing to work... the fuck do I care?  They'll work for half the price because they can live in conditions like they did back where they came from -- sharing a single house with 20 other people.  Most of us don't consider that reasonable, nor is that part of our culture.  So to hear you say it, gpw, because they're willing to work for peanuts and live like pack animals, that means I should change and do the same?  Fuck that.  Why are they being pandered to when half of them DON'T work?  And don't even try to tell me that's a stereotype.  I work for the fucking government and I see it every day of my damned life.  Of course plenty of them are willing to work, but there are an awful lot who aren't, and an awful lot who barge into my office expecting us to give them the world for free because they think that's what America is all about: being handed shit even though you did nothing to deserve it.

Fuck that.  Fuck that six ways to Sunday.

Oh, man, perfect!  That is what I wish I could have articulated before, even before this thread; but words, or something else, failed me.  We have a culture and a standard of living, and for someone to come in from the outside and suddenly say "oh, too bad, you have to lower yourselves to third-world poverty and abuse" is intolerable bullshit.  "Global economy" my ass.  What would the globe do with half of its production of anything unnecessary, if we suddenly said "fuck you, we ain't buying it".  Would it hurt so much for construction and stereos to double in price?  (Bear in mind that the prices of real estate have little to do with construction costs.)  If that's what it would take for Americans to keep their culture and standard of living, I'm all for it.  Bring back the old General Motors, and let the Germans buy BMWs.

And yes, let consoles go ahead and double in price too.  They'd sell much more poorly, and those prices wouldn't stay so high for long.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: Saturday, October 14, 2006, 09:13:31 AM »
General Motors?  You want to buy a new car every 2 years?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: Sunday, October 15, 2006, 05:45:41 AM »
 ;D  No!  I'm saying I'd put up with the ills of mid-20th-century America to get back its benefits.

Somehow, I missed your last post.  Well thought out, as usual.  I'm sure Que was referring to the flood of illegal immigrants, people who really don't belong here, as opposed to people bigots say don't belong here.  I am Latin American of mostly Spanish descent.  (Like the rest of the New World, the population of Latin America is heterogeneous.)  My native language is Spanish, and I can converse in it whenever.  But we need one language that applies to every citizen, or we'd have a tower of Babel here.  In America, that language just happens to be English.  It might have been French, Swedish or Swahili in some alternate reality, but it is what it is.  It is the duty of everyone who wants to do business in America, even be guaranteed successful grocery shopping, to learn English.  I have no sympathy for people who have been here for many years who still can't function without interpreters.  I'll go even further.  It's downright rude to speak anything but English in mixed company.  That would be no different from whispering in each other's ears, while excluding one or more people in the group.

If the society is going to work, it needs . . . [major interruption]

Edit:  I had to either lose what I had written, or hit the "post" button.  What was I saying?  I kind of lost my train of thought.  Anyway, I think it was something like, if it's going to work, it needs some rules and structure.  These have to survive the constant bullshit challenges on civil-rights grounds.  Knowing the language is a small price to pay to be here.  I wouldn't move to France without studying French, and then expect the country to translate all its signs to Spanish.

Que said "pack animals", not "pack rats".  A pack rat hoards stuff.  A mule is a pack animal.  I agree with him.  Living like pack animals is not acceptable to people born and raised here.  To be forced to compete with people who are living like them is entirely unfair to our society and way of life.  Any elected government should be acutely aware of this, and should take whatever measures work to preserve the American way of life.  I'm sure these measures would get some ugly labels from different quarters--protectionism, xenophobia, Naziism, the potential for creative demagoguery is endless.  I don't care.  We protect ourselves and our resources fiercely in other ways. Why is the quality of life of Americans any less important?

Let me tell you, I used to be an Adam Smith dead-hand fiscal ultra-conservative myself.  That's easy to do when you have a silver spoon in your mouth.  Experiencing true hardship and poverty will open anyone's eyes.  A completely unregulated economy may or may not work for the general populace, depending on conditions at the time.  In the 60s, it was fine.  Now, the money has once again gotten sucked to the top, with a lot of work going either overseas or to illegal immigrants, all made possible by the complete lack of social conscience built into our economic model.  This is what has to change.  The government can and should impose such a conscience, and make it the same across the board for anyone doing business here.  (From a "global economy" perspective,  you don't have to do business here; but if you do, here are the rules which apply to all . . .)  No, I don't have all the answers.  That's not the same as saying that I believe there are none.

[Slight edit for clarity in the pack-animals paragraph]
« Last Edit: Sunday, October 15, 2006, 11:02:24 PM by Cobra951 »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: Sunday, October 15, 2006, 07:30:32 AM »
As if on cue, I got spammed with this in a FW email from my mother.  (She spams a lot.)

Written in response to a series of letters to the Editor in the Orange County Register:

Dear Editor:

So many letter writers have based their arguments on how this land is made up of immigrants. Ernie Lujan for one, suggests we should tear down the Statue o f Liberty because the people now in question aren't  being treated the same as those who passed through Ellis Island and other ports of entry.

Maybe we should turn to our history books and point out to people like Mr..Lujan why today's American is not willing to accept this new kind of immigrant any longer. Back in 1900 when there was a rush from all areas of Europe to come to the United States, people had to get off a ship and stand in a long line in New York and be documented. Some would even get down on their hands and knees and kiss the ground. They  made a Pledge to uphold the laws and support their new Country in good and bad times. They made learning English a primary rule in their new American households and some even changed their names to blend in with their new home.

They had waved good bye to their birth place to give their children a new life and did everything in their power to help their children assimilate into one culture.

Nothing was handed to them. No free lunches, no welfare, no labor laws to protect them. All they had were the skills and craftsmanship they had brought with them to trade for a future of prosperity. Most of their children came of age when World War II broke out. My father fought along side men whose parents had come straight over from Germany, Italy, France and Japan. None of these 1st generation Americans ever gave any thought about what country their parents had come from. They were Americans fighting Hitler, Mussolini and the Emperor of Japan. They were defending the United States of America as one people. When we liberated France, no one in those villages were looking for the French-American or the German
Americ an or the Irish American. The people of France saw only Americans. And we carried one flag that represented one country. Not one of those immigrant sons would have thought about picking up another country's flag and waving it to represent who they were. It would have been a disgrace to their parents who had sacrificed so much to be here. These immigrants truly knew what it meant to be an American. They stirred the melting pot into one red, white and blue bowl.

And here we are in 2006 with a new kind of immigrant who wants the same rights and privileges. Only they want to achieve it by playing with a different set of rules, one that includes the entitlement card and a guarantee of being faithful to their mother country. I'm sorry, that's not what being an American is all about. I believe that the immigrants who landed on Ellis Island in the early 1900's deserve better than that for all the toil, hard work and sacrifice in raising future generations to create a land that has become a beacon for those legally searching for a better life. I think they would be appalled that they are being used as an example by those waving foreign Country flags. And for that suggestion about taking down the Statue of Liberty, it happens to mean a lot to the citizens who are voting on the immigration bill. I wouldn't start talking about dismantling the United States just yet.
(signed) Rosemary LaBonte

Corny perhaps, but I share the sentiments.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #52 on: Sunday, October 15, 2006, 09:48:49 AM »
I'd second that, and it proves the point that it isn't race or background that matters, it's attitude.  Cobra probably better clarified what I was trying to say with his post that followed mine.  It's not that I don't think people should be allowed here, it's not that I'm some horrible person who hates people of a different background than my own, it's just... well, everything that was already stated.  There isn't much I can add, and I think my beliefs are pretty much covered between Cobra's posts and my own.  I may not be the most upstanding citizen to ever live in this country, but I work damned hard for what I have, and anybody that thinks it's acceptable to tell hard-working, honest people to roll over for those who don't give a shit about this country (except when it comes to the line at the welfare office)... forget it.  It's never going to happen.  You can't make any arguments that will change the imbalances there, and if we continue down this path much longer, the country is going to collapse under it.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 09:09:47 AM »
Back to the original topic...

The U.N. approved sanctions against North Korea and North Korea has interpereted them as a declaration of war.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/10/17/nkorea.sanctions/index.html

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 10:10:47 AM »
haha.. What the heck does Korea want?

UN: We don't want to trade with you, nor give you free stuff like food and medicine.

Korea: WHAT? You dare not give us free shit! You dare not buy our crap!! THIS MEANS WAR!

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 11:51:39 AM »
One thing I thought was funny is that I have heard that N. Korea has said they will fire a nuclear missile at the United States, but last I checked they don't have a missle that can reach that far nor have even developed a true nuclear warhead that could go in a missile anyway.

"We will shoot a nuclear missile at you in five to ten years!"

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 11:57:36 AM »
N.Korea: We will fire a nuke at you!!!

USA: Fine.

N.Korea: Ummm... give us a minute.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 05:03:57 PM »
Nothing would please me more than to see them try that.  That suicide would benefit the world greatly.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 11:27:21 PM »
Yeah, we certainly wont pick that shit up on radar 2 seconds after its launched and have it shot down well before it reaches the US.

Oh, and paybacks gonna be a bitch.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday, October 18, 2006, 02:29:36 PM »
Actually, I think that our missile defense system is pretty bad at this point. Good thing that nobody who would want to fire at us has a missile that can reach us.