Author Topic: Oklahoma Declares Sovereignty [ripped from digg]  (Read 3668 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Oklahoma Declares Sovereignty [ripped from digg]
« on: Saturday, June 14, 2008, 07:51:50 PM »
Ignore the source

Obviously, this is bandstanding, but I kind of wonder where you all stand on state's rights. More state rights, less federal power? or fewer rights, more unification and standardization.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Oklahoma Declares Sovereignty [ripped from digg]
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, June 14, 2008, 08:09:14 PM »
"The powers not delegated to the United States by the
Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to
the States respectively, or to the people."

The Tenth Amendment is very clear.  The federal government has been running roughshod over it for quite a few years now.  Simply put (if I can say it any more clearly than as written, which I doubt), the federal government cannot take powers away from any state unless that state yields those powers to the federal government voluntarily.  The only exceptions are in the Constitution, nowhere else--not in Congress, and not in the White House.  They cannot be legislated away or executive-ordered away.

This fight has been going on for a while.  It seems to be yet another salvo.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, June 14, 2008, 08:11:51 PM »
I'm pretty firmly on the side of state's rights, at least within reason.  Given the way the fed has been behaving lately, who could possibly argue anyway?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, June 14, 2008, 08:12:21 PM »
I personally feel that's basically the way it should be (with an exception), but there are people out there who would rather return to the initial concept of a very very weak federal government and a much more powerful state goverment basically 'donating' to the feds.