Author Topic: MAXIMUM THE HORMONE!  (Read 2487 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
MAXIMUM THE HORMONE!
« on: Thursday, May 22, 2008, 08:12:57 PM »
So I've been listening to these guys for a while now, and I'm like... a fan.  Take Zebrahead, maybe some Chili Peppers, some brit punk stuff or mid-nineties underground punk from the states, throw in some serious hardcore inspiration, and then do the whole thing in Japanese with a good dose of pop catchiness and you've got Maximum the Hormone.  No, I have no idea what the fuck that means, but I'll be damned if I can't stop listening to this stuff.

Weird video, but this song is awesome.

This one is probably what brings them to the attention of most NA audiences since it was on the Death Note soundtrack... opening for the 2nd season or some such (I've only seen an episode or two, dunno').

Opener for the one album I've been listening to.  I need to find a better place to buy these... they want $45 for it on Amazon.  Yeesh.

PUNKNESS.  Totally.

And this one has weird anime lesbians.  Or something.

Anyway... yeah, I totally like these guys.  Wish they'd get somebody to pick up distribution over here.  Affordable CDs are good.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
Re: MAXIMUM THE HORMONE!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, May 22, 2008, 08:29:19 PM »
I've been listening to these guys off and on since I heard them about a year ago when I was watching the Death Note fansub.  The main vocalist has a weird singing style that's kind of catchy in a weird way.  "What's Up People?" is still probably my favorite song by them.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, May 22, 2008, 08:40:57 PM »
I'm totally into them.  They bring back my punk days when I listen to them, but they've also got all kinds of other stuff going on.  I feel like I can hear a ton of influences when I'm listening to them, which grabs me, but they're pretty original which keeps me listening.  It's pretty accessible for being as odd as it is, which I guess is why they've done so well in Japan (this isn't the kind of stuff that does well in Japan, generally speaking).

Also, I found out you can order all their CDs from Otaku.com!  About $17-$22 per CD.  A bit steep, but with combined shipping it might not be so bad.  I may go for the entire discography at some point soon if I get the chance to hear more of their early stuff.

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Friday, May 23, 2008, 09:37:04 AM »
Heh, wierd as hell but actually not bad at all. 

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Friday, May 23, 2008, 04:16:39 PM »
This really sucks...

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Monday, May 26, 2008, 05:07:32 PM »
I think one of the anime requirements is eyes bigger than ears.  Plus they have to be animated.  So boo at the so-called anime lesbians.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, June 28, 2008, 10:39:39 PM »
I picked up a discography of these guys, and continue to have a lot of fun with them.  Their older stuff is even more punk inspired, and is generally just a lot of fun.  First CD isn't so hot, and it features 2 members of the band that left right after the CD was pressed, and from the sound, that was a good thing.