Author Topic: Dubai has way too much money  (Read 2065 times)

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
Dubai has way too much money
« on: Saturday, June 28, 2008, 07:15:24 PM »
Dubai builder plans the world's first rotating skyscraper.

Each floor of this building can rotate independently, allowing residents an ever-changing cityscape to vomit onto because of their perpetual motion sickness.

Also, there's an elevator capable of lifting you and your entire car straight to your apartment, so you can park in your living room instead of the garage. This will be a huge boon to people who are too fucking fat to walk to the elevator, and also cost-conscious people who can't afford to tip the doorman $5 every time they need to bring their groceries upstairs yet CAN afford to live in a $25 million+ apartment. 

Offline ren

• Veteran
Re: Dubai has way too much money
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, June 28, 2008, 07:32:16 PM »
But when there's no overlap they have windmills to generate power for the building. That makes it awesome.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, June 28, 2008, 09:22:45 PM »
That is officially the most idiotic project I've ever heard of anyone conceiving.  My guess is it will never happen, and if it does, something horrible will happen to it.  Swarm of locusts, maybe?  Plague of babies?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, June 28, 2008, 09:31:34 PM »
Here's a much more cost effective way to get ever changing views in your home:

+

No need to rotate! Just take a few easy steps and you're on the other side of your house looking out the window at a different view!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, June 28, 2008, 09:48:20 PM »
I wouldn't have understood but for the pictures.  You have opened up whole new worlds to me.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, June 29, 2008, 12:37:53 AM »
Dubai is pretty insane when it comes to this crap.

Sadly they're neglecting necessities in favour of these "incredible" feats. For example, I work in Dubai Media City (a central media hub in Dubai) and there's no bus station, no hospital, no service centres whatsoever except for property and land development. If you need to get to a hospital it's a 45-minutes to 2-hour drive depending on traffic. The Hospitals and health centres are mostly in Dubai Healthcare City.

Even though public transportation is being developed by the Road & Transport Authority it seems to be somehow discouraged on a social level here. Everyone is expected to drive or at least have a chauffeur. If you take the bus you're branded as a lowly labourer who can't even afford a Mercedes Benz. The bigger problem is that there are no pedestrian crossings at all. Heaven forbid I should use the legs I have to walk.

Have you guys heard about the "Upside Down" building they're planning? Basically it's a building that looks like it's upside down, with the courtyard trees and bushes actually upside down from the top of the tower.

I hate this place. It's fuckin' retarded.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, June 29, 2008, 12:46:48 AM »
Seriously, I'll come out there and help you burn it down.  We'll do the world a favor.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, June 29, 2008, 12:54:43 AM »
Seriously, I'll come out there and help you burn it down.  We'll do the world a favor.
Dear God that needs to happen. As cruel as it sounds, they need do need something drastic to draw their attention.

In all fairness though, there is some movement toward public rights (Human rights still too radical here) but I feel it's just moving too slowly.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, June 29, 2008, 06:31:26 PM »
So are you one of the rich people in the UAE, or are you just working there as the comments describe?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, July 01, 2008, 03:53:22 AM »
So are you one of the rich people in the UAE, or are you just working there as the comments describe?
I just work in Dubai, but I live in Abu Dhabi. Huge difference between the two cities. I guess the Canadian equivalent would be Toronto vs Ottawa. I wouldn't consider myself among the 'rich' of the UAE, but I'm doing ok!

The richest people here are the nationals (or "locals" as we call them). Citizenship is exclusive to them. The only for anyone else to even have a shot at getting a citizenship is to have been in the country for at least 30 years + have someone of a relatively high stature vouch for you.

My family has been here since the first Gulf War (1992) and we're still considered foreigners.