Author Topic: Diablo 3 is here and ITS AWESOME!  (Read 120135 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Diablo 3 is here and ITS AWESOME!
« Reply #480 on: Thursday, August 22, 2013, 01:33:14 PM »
If nothing else, it's a very big chance to try to fix a bunch of the broken shit.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #481 on: Friday, August 23, 2013, 04:40:06 AM »
I am really excited for this. :)

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #482 on: Friday, August 23, 2013, 05:23:27 AM »
If nothing else, it's a very big chance to try to fix a bunch of the broken shit.

That's how I view it.  I'll buy it, if anything, in hopes that it will make my initial $100 investment worth it.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #483 on: Friday, August 23, 2013, 05:58:49 AM »
If I see that they took the game in what I think is the right direction then I'll probably get it as well.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #484 on: Tuesday, September 03, 2013, 07:08:42 AM »
It seems that this is now out for consoles, and according at least to Eurogamer, the port is very nicely done, more of a UI redesign, really.  No always-online crap, so now I'm interested.  No auction house either, with revamped loot drops.  Less amount, much less crap, more class-useful items (again, according to Eurogamer).  I'll be looking seriously at grabbing this sometime.  I want to read up more on it first.  I've ignored it completely up to now.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #485 on: Tuesday, September 03, 2013, 10:21:06 AM »
Ok.. So now I ask, where is the PC upgrade that includes all those wonderful fixes?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #486 on: Tuesday, September 03, 2013, 11:07:03 AM »
PC will get a 2.0 rebalance patch

Much like World of Warcraft expansions, Reaper of Souls will be pre-empted by a huge “2.0″ patch that will overhaul Diablo III in preparation for new items, abilities and areas.

Lead content designer Kevin Martens ran us through the free features of patch 2.0. “You’re going to get all the loot, you’re going to get all the new item types, you’re going to get all the new legendary affixes, you’re going to get our new gem type – which is the diamond – and you’re going to get all the changes to the rules, the smart drop system, the targeted drop system, probably you’ll get loot runs – we haven’t figured that one out yet – probably you’ll get paragon, etc, etc.”
So it won't be everything and the always online thing wont be going away. Sad face.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #487 on: Tuesday, September 03, 2013, 12:13:38 PM »
Can someone explain to me how the loot system is broken and how it worked in Diablo 2? And also what does the smart drop and the targeted drop systems do?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #488 on: Tuesday, September 03, 2013, 12:38:09 PM »
Blizzard are rebalancing loot drops in a big way to try and make more drops relevant to your character. There will be fewer common (white) drops, and they can be melted down into a new crafting reagent to stop them being completely useless past level 10. Rare drops will be reduced but there’s a high chance of a “smart drop.” These items will feature stats tuned to your character. More legendary items will drop, and they’ll come with new interesting new effects. Blizzard’s examples included a weapon that spawned an instant treasure goblin when equipped, and a staff that adds a chance to spawn hydras from dead bodies.
It seems like smart drops and targeted drops are more or less the same thing. You will have a higher chance of getting loot that your character can actually use.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #489 on: Tuesday, September 03, 2013, 01:11:34 PM »
Can someone explain to me how the loot system is broken and how it worked in Diablo 2? And also what does the smart drop and the targeted drop systems do?

In Diablo 2, anything and everything had a chance to drop.  it was all based on magic find percentages and character level.  Gold equipment is what you strove for.  Those were always the best available equipment (well, until runewords became a thing...then it was debatable).  Now you have some purples and yellows with better stats than the "rare" gold equipment.  I understand what blizz was trying to accomplish.  They wanted more variety in equipment builds.  But in doing this they've effectively rendered gold equipment pointless.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #491 on: Tuesday, September 03, 2013, 06:58:15 PM »
Not surprisingly, the PC port works better on the PC-like 360.  Good thing Sony learned their lesson about weirdo system architectures.  Next gen, hopefully both systems will get a lot of love from PC-centric devs.

Thanks for that link, D.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #492 on: Thursday, September 05, 2013, 07:37:52 AM »
In Diablo 2, anything and everything had a chance to drop.  it was all based on magic find percentages and character level.  Gold equipment is what you strove for.  Those were always the best available equipment (well, until runewords became a thing...then it was debatable).  Now you have some purples and yellows with better stats than the "rare" gold equipment.  I understand what blizz was trying to accomplish.  They wanted more variety in equipment builds.  But in doing this they've effectively rendered gold equipment pointless.

The loot just becomes pointless since all you are looking for are increases in your primary character stat. What it is (blue, gold, rare) doesn't matter anymore because the secondary bonuses don't impact your character as much. It's the same with the gem system, you either put in your primary stat or health. Boring.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #493 on: Thursday, September 05, 2013, 08:36:40 AM »
Also, while I think I like the fact you can respec your character at any time, it sort of removes the long-term impacts of builds.

Like I'd almost feel better about it if you had to pay some exorbitant gold fee to be able to respec your character.  That's probably a silly thing to say.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #494 on: Thursday, September 05, 2013, 09:00:59 AM »
I think if the loot had more impact (and the characters weren't so dependant on the primary stat and the weapon(s)) it would've made the characters more unique, more "you". Then respecing would've balanced things out pretty well by letting you try new things without too big of a penalty or having to create a completely new character in the first place.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #495 on: Tuesday, September 17, 2013, 11:20:44 AM »
If you want to sell your loot, make it fast.

When we initially designed and implemented the auction houses, the driving goal was to provide a convenient and secure system for trades. But as we've mentioned on different occasions, it became increasingly clear that despite the benefits of the AH system and the fact that many players around the world use it, it ultimately undermines Diablo's core game play: kill monsters to get cool loot. With that in mind, we want to let everyone know that we've decided to remove the gold and real-money auction house system from Diablo III.

We feel that this move along with the Loot 2.0 system being developed concurrently with Reaper of Souls™ will result in a much more rewarding game experience for our players.

We're working out the details of how the auction house system will be shut down, but we wanted to share the news as soon as we made the decision in order to give everyone as much advance notice as possible. Please note that the shutdown will occur on March 18, 2014. We will keep everyone informed as we work through this process.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #496 on: Tuesday, September 17, 2013, 11:24:25 AM »
Ok, so they're argument for why the PC version absolutely needs to be online at all times is now undeniably moot.. So, when are we getting our offline mode??

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #497 on: Tuesday, September 17, 2013, 11:56:31 AM »
I imagine when sales taper off to a trickle.

Idol beat me to the AH story.  I'm guessing the looting design of the console game is something Blizzard wants to do across the board now.  It would makes sense that it isn't really a design specifically for consoles, but rather a redesign that debuted first on consoles.  They're trying to make looting fun and addicting again, and auction houses just have no place in that.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #498 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 02:55:40 PM »
So, when are we getting our offline mode??
I imagine when sales taper off to a trickle.
That'd be great - I do so hope so.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #499 on: Thursday, September 19, 2013, 04:56:29 AM »
I don't understand.  Didn't this game come out a year ago?  Why am I suddenly seeing tons of advertisement for this game on consoles the last month or so?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #500 on: Thursday, September 19, 2013, 08:09:26 AM »
Because it just released on consoles in the last month or so (more like 2 weeks).  It also takes some welcome departures from the PC version--a better loot system, no auction house, and no always-online bullshit.  So after ignoring it for a year because of the unacceptable bullshit, I'm now playing it on a console.  Feels just like a Diablo game too.  Simplified, but not dumbed down.  They did a great job on the user interface for controllers.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #501 on: Friday, September 20, 2013, 10:09:38 AM »
I only played Diablo 3 for a week or two on PC. I tried the Xbox 360 demo and really want it now. The console version fixes my main 2 gripes about the game: direct character control, and no AH or RMAH (and better loot as a result)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #502 on: Friday, September 20, 2013, 03:59:33 PM »
The game is very good on the console.  I can't compare to the PC version, since I haven't played it.  But I did play Diablo 2 on PC for a long time.  3 definitely has that same feel, except (as you said) with direct character control.  I played through Normal with the barbarian, just to get used to the mechanics with a known straightforward class.  It was fun, but demon hunter is even better.  His ranged attacks quickly develop into urban warfare and his evasion skills let me dart all over the screen.  He takes a lot more damage, but he can escape it a lot better too.  Won't be falling asleep with him.  The barbarian is such a tank that he can get boring by comparison.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #503 on: Saturday, September 21, 2013, 03:38:06 PM »
So I haven't been following the expansion at all. How are they changing the loot? I guess in the past you could just buy the best equipment on the AH and call it a day, but it's not like anyone forced you.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #504 on: Saturday, September 21, 2013, 04:41:46 PM »
So I haven't been following the expansion at all. How are they changing the loot? I guess in the past you could just buy the best equipment on the AH and call it a day, but it's not like anyone forced you.

They're removing the regular Auction House and the Real Money Auction House. They're revamping the loot system to drop less items overall, but better quality on average. (a trickle of decent to good loot instead of a flood of crappy items not even worth picking up to sell) This is all coming to PC in March 2014. (I think that's the date) The console versions already have all of this in place.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #505 on: Saturday, September 21, 2013, 09:22:13 PM »
All great changes but the PC version will still lack an offline mode, gamepad support, and one-screen multiplayer.

Removing the Auction Houses is a big move for Blizzard, they wouldn't have come to it on a whim, especially since they were pushing so hard for it early on. I'm almost certain there's a lot more to it than "it ultimately undermines Diablo's core game play: kill monsters to get cool loot." Nonetheless, it's a step in a good direction for me.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #506 on: Monday, September 23, 2013, 07:14:24 AM »
Well, I finally got through Hell difficulty with my monk.  I leveled him to 60, so I've started Inferno difficulty.  This is the first max-leveled character I've had, so I'm just now beginning to experience the whole "Paragon levels" and the rare mob magic find boost.  The boost stacks 5 times.  So it's a nice incentive to keep playing.  In theory, that is.  With a 5 stack rare mobs and bosses shit yellows out of every orifice.  And it's always gear for other classes, at least it has been that way in my experience.  I've obtained one legendary so far, and humorously enough it's something I already bought from the AH for my follower.

The overall difficulty has been lessened.  When the game came out you hit brick walls which basically pushed you toward the AH.  Now I have not felt the need to really hit the AH to up my gear (although that hasn't stopped me).  In that regard, I don't think the AH is as needed as it was upon release.  I think their goal of reducing the amount, but providing better loot will take the game in the right direction.  It still isn't there, yet.  One thing that made D2 tolerable with loot runs is the fact that boss runs were pretty easily accessible.  That's not so much the case in 3.

I was really down on the game after my first bout with it.  But it looks like some of the improvements they've made since I stopped playing have made the game better. 

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #507 on: Monday, March 03, 2014, 06:20:51 PM »
I put my robe and wizard hat on ...

Figured I may as well resurrect this thread and start talking about the game in here rather than the retro thread. I definitely like the new system better. Stuff since the patch has been really smooth, and I enjoy the varying challenges. You get to feel powerful with most mobs, but then the elite dudes remain a challenge, and some of them just get ridiculous. I'm playing on Torment II right now, which feels about right. Torment III was just a little too much.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #508 on: Wednesday, March 19, 2014, 02:00:32 PM »
So I get to review Reaper of Souls. Hurrah. Can't wait. I am glad they are introducing a Paladin like class. The game was really missing that.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #509 on: Wednesday, March 19, 2014, 07:58:25 PM »
Heather and I are still playing. She's got a 60 DH and 60 wiz, I've got a 60 monk, wiz, and barb, with a low-level DH and a mid-level WD. Started a hardcore wiz as well, since I've never played a hardcore character (not even in D2). Still having fun with all the new changes and additions (I didn't realize at first, but the patch actually added new rooms/areas to some of the existing random dungeon content), but really looking forward to all the stuff that's coming in the expansion. It's really looking great.

About to do the infernal machine for the first time.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #510 on: Wednesday, March 19, 2014, 11:42:48 PM »
Yeah I stopped a few months ago after hitting 60 on three classes.

My native server is the EU, but I can still play on the NA server with everyone.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #511 on: Friday, March 21, 2014, 12:02:38 PM »
Umm... shocked there are hardly any people playing the game. Actually, there seems to be something wrong with the Battlenet code as there are 1000s of people in the chat room looking for people but when I look on the public server, there are only 7 people... for the entire ACT!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #512 on: Friday, March 21, 2014, 06:49:37 PM »
I've heard that the vast majority of the player base is in private games. I would never even consider looking for a pug. I'll play solo or with friends, that's about it. Almost everyone else I've talked to operates the same way. That does seem like something is goofy, though. But honestly, I've never once even looked at the server screen for other games, so I suppose I can't say I really have any idea.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #513 on: Friday, March 21, 2014, 10:57:26 PM »
It bothers me because when the game launched there was no shortage of players looking to just start a game. Even six months ago.

I am wondering if it is because they've divided the game into 4 difficulties, plus they've included higher level caps and it has split the community. I mean there are thousands of people online, but they are now in different subgroups. Before, it was just one difficulty level, so you had tons of people always ready for a game on normal. But even if you divide that by four, it still doesn't explain why I Blizzard couldn't match me with three other randoms within seconds like it used to.

BTW, I was completely mistaking about my chars. They are at level 30ish not 60ish. That's OK. For now they've started this bonus where anyone playing gets double experience. I am considering grinding up some chars.

Anyone on EU servers wants to play? I can also join on US servers but timezones is an issue, plus I am so busy now with writing assignments.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #514 on: Saturday, March 22, 2014, 02:20:11 AM »
It bothers me because when the game launched there was no shortage of players looking to just start a game. Even six months ago.

I am wondering if it is because they've divided the game into 4 difficulties, plus they've included higher level caps and it has split the community. I mean there are thousands of people online, but they are now in different subgroups. Before, it was just one difficulty level, so you had tons of people always ready for a game on normal. But even if you divide that by four, it still doesn't explain why I Blizzard couldn't match me with three other randoms within seconds like it used to.

BTW, I was completely mistaking about my chars. They are at level 30ish not 60ish. That's OK. For now they've started this bonus where anyone playing gets double experience. I am considering grinding up some chars.

Anyone on EU servers wants to play? I can also join on US servers but timezones is an issue, plus I am so busy now with writing assignments.

I'd like to play, if just to make the game worth it.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #515 on: Saturday, March 22, 2014, 06:36:52 AM »
I very nearly purchased Reaper of Souls. I ran into two scenarios:

1. I could buy it from Blizzard directly for 40 Euros ($55 USD) or the CE for 60 Euros ($83 USD), so I'd be getting ripped off by about $15-$23.
2. I could buy a physical copy from Amazon for $48 ($40 + $8 in tax and shipping) but the game will be shipped on release date, meaning I'll get in approximately 9-10 days after that.

The problem with the first option is obvious; Blizzard have no concept of fair pricing.

The problem with the second option is that Blizzard put a deadline for key redemption. Basically, if you don't redeem your key by 31 MAR 2014 you only get the standard edition, even if you pre-ordered. Not that I care about it and I see no value in pre-ordering, but the fact that Blizzard would treat their own customers that way just rubbed me the wrong way. Now I have no desire or intention of buying Reaper of Souls at all.

I'm not saying "Blizzard is evil" or anything as asinine, I simply don't agree with their ideology or their methods. I will vote with my wallet and not buy any Blizzard products. I will advise others to avoid Blizzard products as well.

Fuck Blizzard.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #516 on: Saturday, March 22, 2014, 12:22:39 PM »
It's pretty much standard for the industry, not just Blizzard, though I agree that such pricing models suck. I don't understand why that problem hasn't been swept away already across the board, but such regional bullshit seems to remain prevalent. How do people not understand currency conversion rates? This baffles me.

Also, the only thing you get for predordering is the worthless cosmetic wings which I believe they only provided to keep a vocal minority from bitching about something or other. So you're really not missing anything at all.

As for the difficulties ... Pug, there were originally 4 difficulties. Normal, Nightmare, Hell, and Inferno, and getting from one to the other required a complete play through the campaign. Thus you had to play the campaign 3 times to get to Inferno with any character, where the real endgame actually began. This was changed to 5 difficulties, Normal, Hard, Expert, Master, and Torment (Torment having 6 variants ... I guess the naming convention was just an expedient), but now you can play all of them any time you want, except for Torment, which unlocks at level 60 (though you only have to unlock it with a single character). I have no idea how this changes public games as, again, I don't play them or have any desire to. It's a much better system overall as far as actual gameplay is concerned. I routinely bump my characters to Expert by level 17-ish, and Master usually by 25 (though this is much tougher now with the big experience bonus, as you level much faster—thus the enemies do too—than you can reliably upgrade all your gear, though crafting helps mitigate that a lot, which is nice if you've got a bunch of stuff stockpiled like I do), so the drop quality and rewards scale up nicely, and the game is more fun to play when it's tough. Hardcore is a blast now because there are a lot more genuinely terrifying situations to get into.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #517 on: Sunday, March 23, 2014, 07:59:37 AM »
I've put a small amount of time into this game in the last few days.  Last night I had two legendary items drop in a span of 3 minutes.  Is this typical now or did I just get incredibly lucky?

I was playing on expert.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #518 on: Sunday, March 23, 2014, 01:08:46 PM »
I think you may have been a little lucky.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #519 on: Sunday, March 23, 2014, 04:31:27 PM »
Lucky. But the droprates are defnitely better. I've several times gotten 2 or even 3 legendaries during a long day of play when I decided to say fuck work and just sit on my ass. Actually, I feel like I've been getting better drops in general the last couple nights, and I wonder if they didn't increase them a bit to compensate for how you and the enemies outlevel the gear pretty quick with this free xp weekend. I found a ton of good shit today even in just a few hours (only 1 legendary, which I couldn't use, but like 3 or 4 quite nice rares).