Author Topic: Diablo 3 is here and ITS AWESOME!  (Read 120223 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Diablo 3 is announced
« Reply #240 on: Wednesday, October 26, 2011, 09:53:11 AM »
This is like an internent meme. Scumbag Blizzard: Makes Diablo 3 the most moddable Diablo yet; won't allow any mods.
WTF?  :o

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #241 on: Wednesday, October 26, 2011, 10:05:49 AM »
Sure moddable games are cool. But is it really a scumbag move for a developer to make their own game unnmoddable?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #242 on: Wednesday, October 26, 2011, 10:21:06 AM »
Sure moddable games are cool. But is it really a scumbag move for a developer to make their own game unnmoddable?
I guess now the only good thing about it being easy moddable is it'll be easy for the dev's to change, rebalance, tweak, and play w/ anything they really want. [shrug]

It's half of a waste - b/c the dev's will be using this, not the gaming PC community.

Thing is - you'd figure a mod kit would be something great for gamers doing SP-oflline stuff.
Oh, yeah - that's right, this game has no offline-SP portion...

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #243 on: Wednesday, October 26, 2011, 11:21:40 AM »
I used "scumbag" since thats the meme.

But its just a weird answer. "Theres no mod tools and we wont let you mod the game. But its the most moddable one we've ever done. We just wont let you. Do we still get credit for that?"

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #244 on: Friday, January 27, 2012, 08:49:24 PM »
Companion and Reforging Scrolls removed from D3 Beta Patch 10.
Don't expect them in game's initial release, either.

A few more changes have made their way in to Diablo III beta patch 10, including the removal of Scrolls of Companion and Scrolls of Reforging, and we’ll be updating the patch notes to reflect that.

In both cases these are features we felt were underdeveloped and just not quite good enough for the game in their current state. The companion pets felt like they were mandatory to maximize play efficiency and some of the pets were too cutesy for the gritty, dark world of Sanctuary. Neither of those are issues we felt like we could solve without a lot of additional work, and we’re trying to close in on a solid release date for the game, not move further away. When weighing these systems against releasing the game, we decided to cut these scrolls and stay on track for the game’s release.

We think we can make companion pets into a much cooler system (both mechanically and visually), and evolve the reforging scrolls into a more meaningful system at some point in the future. For the time being, they will not be in the initial release of the game.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #246 on: Monday, May 14, 2012, 08:20:38 PM »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #247 on: Monday, May 14, 2012, 10:27:22 PM »

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #248 on: Monday, May 14, 2012, 11:00:33 PM »
Yea, that's how I predicted it would be. It's basically an MMO launch, sucks that it has to happen with a game like this. I'll be able to check it out tomorrow morning and afternoon but I don't think I'm going to delve into it too much. I'll probably just mess with some of the classes and just see how long it takes for the game to smooth out.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #249 on: Monday, May 14, 2012, 11:03:32 PM »
No surprises with connection issues.  I'm all downloaded and ready to go, but I know it will be a few days until I can really enjoy it.  Just the nature of things.

It's actually kind of nice that the 3 hour review doesn't have much bad in it despite the always on/DRM whining. :)
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #250 on: Monday, May 14, 2012, 11:20:05 PM »
The fact that you lose progress is idiotic. How did they build the game from the ground up knowing it was online-only and not make any kind of failsafe to avoid you losing progress? That's pretty bad.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #251 on: Monday, May 14, 2012, 11:38:38 PM »
Is it different from WoW/all other MMOs?  In those, if you disconnect, you'll just stand there until you log back in.  If you are in a hostile zone or attacked, the NPC/person will probably kill you.  If you are not, you'll be fine.  And it's not possible to "lose" anything because it's all on the server anyway, so there's never a time when the game needs to "save" or do anything like that, it's just synced all the time.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #252 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 01:07:43 AM »
Is it different from WoW/all other MMOs?  In those, if you disconnect, you'll just stand there until you log back in.  If you are in a hostile zone or attacked, the NPC/person will probably kill you.  If you are not, you'll be fine.  And it's not possible to "lose" anything because it's all on the server anyway, so there's never a time when the game needs to "save" or do anything like that, it's just synced all the time.
Not exactly. In my experience with the D3 beta basically it knocks you back to the last checkpoint when you log in again, anything done between checkpoints is not saved (I think town visits count as checkpoints). It's not a huge loss but it can be pretty frustrating.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #253 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 01:46:55 AM »
My D3 won't arrive for a few weeks. Still waiting for PlayAsia to announce the Asian CE.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #254 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 06:15:10 AM »
Not exactly. In my experience with the D3 beta basically it knocks you back to the last checkpoint when you log in again, anything done between checkpoints is not saved (I think town visits count as checkpoints). It's not a huge loss but it can be pretty frustrating.

I honestly didn't play the beta enough to notice it, but I'd be real surprised if this continued to be an issue in the retail game.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #255 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 07:42:52 AM »
Then clearly you didn't read the article idol posted.

EDIT - Unless you meant they were going to patch it out. Then yeah, I'd be surprised too. That's something that should be fixed, stat.

EDIT x2 - Courtesty of K-man on IRC: http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/15/diablo-3-psa-dont-give-a-templar-follower-a-shield/

Apparently giving your templar follower a shield causes complete destruction of your game until they patch a fix.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #256 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 10:01:00 AM »
I don't think anyone operated under the expectation that the launch would be flawless and the game wouldn't have bugs.

And yeah, I meant patching it out.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #257 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 10:34:40 AM »
I am sure they will patch it. A day's pain is only temporary. :P

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #258 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 11:19:34 AM »
Well, a frind just surprised with gorgeous retail copy of Diablo III!

Installation took some time, and the excitement quickly wore off when I was presented with a "The servers are busy right now. Please try again later." message about 17 times.

Diablo III is a welcome gift but this is exactly the reason I was afraid to buy it.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #259 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 11:22:52 AM »
AHHHHHHH I WANT YOUR FRIEND!

Did you register it already? You could have sold it to me. :P PlayAsia is being a bitch.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #260 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 12:10:07 PM »
I read some reports that people couldn't even install it because the installer wouldn't sync with bnet or something. This is a pretty epic clusterfuck.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #261 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 12:17:07 PM »
I've been playing for around 5 hours and I haven't encountered any bugs yet, aside from general connectivity issues (usually takes a while to get in).  This is going much better than I thought it would go.

Also, the monk is FUN.  I didn't play the beta at all, so this is all new, but the monk is super awesome.  I'm  having a blast.

Haven't tried the others yet.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #262 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 12:24:30 PM »
I read some reports that people couldn't even install it because the installer wouldn't sync with bnet or something. This is a pretty epic clusterfuck.

It is, but again, people that expected things to go off without a hitch are either 1) ridiculously naive or 2) have never played an MMO before.  Hard to know how bad it is for everyone else, but so far, this is going about as well as a WoW expansion goes.  In other words, it's inaccessible for a few hours after launch, then ridden with connectivity issues for a few days after that.  And then things settle and it gets boring within a few months.

Epic clusterfuck seems to overstate it.  Maybe I've just grown accustomed to this all because I've played WoW for so long, but meh.  You get used to it.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #263 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 12:36:14 PM »
Sorry, Pug ;D had I known I totally would have given it to you! I do have a free guest pass though!

I was finally able to log in after switching my region to Asia (apparently Americas and Europe were facing the highest difficulties). Managed to play for about half an hour or so.

Anyway, I exited to the character menu, but I didn't log out since I didn't want to have to go through the login connectivity issues, went to the kitchen to grab a yogurt, when i came back I click on Resume Game and I was greeted with another unique message "The Diablo III servers are currently full. You have been added to the queue." I am already logged into my Battle.net account, I am not playing online, I am just trying to resume my singleplayer campaign. This is fucking bullshit. Sorry, I'm just really frustrated.

If Blizzard are going to force us to go online they damn well should have made sure their servers could handle it. Plus I think they should at least give us all the benefits of being online i.e. cloud storage for saves etc.

EDIT:
Sorry, Shock, just spotted your reply. It's not an MMO though. Yes, it does have multiplayer but it's not on a mass scale. It feels like Blizzard just decided to bring all the woes of MMOs (pardon the rhyme) to a singleplayer experience for no good reason. Even 2-4 players who want play coop together shouldn't have to deal with MMO-class connectivity issues.

It just doesn't make any sense to me as a single player to have jump through all these online authentication hoops to play by myself. It's like government-monitored masturbation.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #264 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 12:38:00 PM »
Re: shock:

Diablo 3 isn't an MMO. Diablo 3 is a single-player and multiplayer game with forced connectivity. I'd call this a clusterfuck. All the people who aren't hardcore gamers and don't read shit about anything before they buy it are pissed off. Lots and lots of Diablo 2 fans fall into that category.

It just didn't need to be this way. Include the should-have-been-there offline mode and everyone's reasonably happy.

EDIT - Also X, you are playing online. Everything is server-side. So even though you're playing alone, yes, this is an online-only game. The action happens elsewhere and is transmitted to you.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #265 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 04:19:42 PM »

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #266 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 08:56:43 PM »
I like how he said "2 hours in I just finished the first big story quest, which is how far the beta let you go."

Last night when I was trying to play, 2 hours in I had only been in game for 15 minutes because of login issues and server congestion.

I'm writing this while waiting for another unexpected outage to be over. I'd probably be a lot more angry if I weren't playing with friends. (because then I'd beeffectively waiting to login to a single player game) but still, an offline single player with separate characters (like in Diablo 2) would be a great distraction during the server downtime.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #267 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 10:10:08 PM »
I've started playing on Asia since those servers are up.  I started a Demon Hunter.  REALLY like it.  I think I'm going to start one on the Americas once they finally get the fucking servers up.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #268 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 10:17:51 PM »
I'm anxious to jump back in.

I think I'm going to exclusively play coop to justify the online requirement.

If I can't change something I'll have to find a way to cope with it, this seems like it'll keep me relatively sane.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #269 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 10:22:26 PM »
Yea, I would say a clusterfuck is overstating it especially when this was expected to happen. Que I don't see how this is any worse than say how bad Skyrim was when it launched or even Stardocks game Elemental.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #270 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 03:37:13 AM »
Elemental was definitely a clusterfuck. That's undeniable. Sad mess too.

Skyrim had (and still has) many bugs but it wasn't game-breaking for the majority nor was it related to connectivity issues. One time activation on Steam for the installation then you can go into offline mode. People who pre-ordered were also able to pre-load about a week in advance.

With Diablo 3 it feels like clusterfuck because of those of us who don't play many MMOs are not familiar with this scale of launch connection issues. Granted many shooters have connectivity issues at launch as well but at least we can always muck about in the singleplayer until it's resolved.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #271 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 04:04:45 AM »
Skipped the midnight release and bought it in the morning. Installation and everything went by super smooth. been playing  for a while now. Love it. 0 problems.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #272 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 06:19:30 AM »
A friend hooked me up with a starter pass yesterday, so I've bought myself a little time to get a CE.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #273 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 08:41:27 AM »
I had no problems with either Skyrim or Elemental. And neither of those games had any problems related to artificial DRM requirements. They just had bugs. And I still have only experienced 2 bugs in Skyrim in over 100 hours of play.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #274 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 08:54:04 AM »
I think I've devised the ideal way to perceive Diablo 3 in order to feel better about it!

Diablo 3 is a MMO with no monthly fees, smaller concentration of players per session, strong story elements and background lore. Sounds like a great MMO, right?

Sadly, thinking of it that way makes what it's missing stand out more compared to other MMOs: character customization, mounts, guilds/clans, hats.. ok, I don't care about hats.

Meh, it's a hybrid. It's a game that bridges the singleplayer experience with MMO.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #275 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 11:04:55 AM »
In terms of whether they had DRM or not, those games had serious game breaking issues, so I can at least weather the storm for this.

So I've played it up to the point where the beta ends, fortunately I've had no issues with connectivity and the game runs really well but my hours of play are in the early hours of morning so that probably helps. The combat and dungeon crawling really never felt better, all the small touches with the way enemies get obliterated and how the environment breaks apart under your attacks, it is extremely satisfying. Been playing as a monk, and so far it's been pretty easy, I hope the game does get a bit more aggressive later. My monk's dashing strike into the middle of a group followed by lashing tail kick destroys everything around to ashes, aahhh yeaaaa.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #276 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 12:40:49 PM »
I'm up to Level 15 and it definitely starts getting harder.  I've started playing with friends, too.  MUCH more fun.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #277 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 01:15:18 PM »
I'm not saying games don't have issues or that they should be given a pass for bugs. But this isn't a bug. This is a shitty decision on the part of a developer which creates problems that don't need to be there. I think there's a distinction between the two.

And if giving a shield to one of your followers causes your character to become unusable, that's what I would call a showstopper bug, so it's not like D3 doesn't have anything going on there. I just think they could have had a better launch than they did. I call it a clusterfuck not because it's that much worse than anything else, but it didn't really have to be like that.

Anyway, this is nothing to do with the game itself, only the online issue, and while you can't entirely distance one from the other, clearly we've discussed that to death. Perhaps it would be better to leave that for the other thread and leave this one to discuss the actual game. I think everyone has made every point possible from both sides as far as the online junk, and it's not going to change, so like it or not, it is what it is. Either you buy the game knowing these facts or you don't.

Me? I bought it.

WHAT? OMG, HYPOCRITE.

Yeah... kinda. I'm a tool.

Honestly, I couldn't take it anymore. I'd been waiting for this fucking game for so long, I was totally disappointed by basically everything surrounding it over the last year or so to the point where I didn't even like the looks of it or care about it, and then everything changed at launch. All of a sudden the stuff I was seeing didn't even look like the shit they'd been showing before. Turns out the art style isn't really that bad, and from what I can tell, the final product looks almost nothing like the stuff I was seeing before. I mean in practice. It's got some depth and nuance, it's dark, and even if things are a bit more caricatured, it almost works in the game's favor because the tech is pretty unimpressive. The artistry is there... things die and explode real nice, but the game doesn't push your system. I don't even get a hitch.

Except that's not true. I get a lot of hitching because I'm playing online. It's a bit obnoxious to watch the world skip around and stall when I'm not playing with anyone, but like X, I basically lie to myself and say... this is a whole system. It's Bnet. You've got a profile, tons of achievements, a robust framework there that works (I mean when the servers are up, obviously) and is compelling. It's a lie because obviously I'm not in favor of this whole thing going the way it did, but I just had to know if I was going to like the game or not. I watched videos and it looked so different from the stuff I'd seen before, I just had to know. And I had a really bad day yesterday, was bored as fuck, and I've been jonesing for a good action RPG for a while now. I'm still excited about Grim Dawn, but that's next year, and I just wanted something I could pick up, play for a bit, put down.

So I got it.

Yes, I feel like a tool, but I'm beyond the point where I feel like voting with my dollars means a fucking thing. I'm depressed with the state of the industry, depressed with the people who buy games, depressed with a lot of it... but god damn it, at least it's a high-profile PC game. And that's a total cop-out, I know, but I decided in the end I just wanted to know if this was really going to be a great game just beyond all the BS. It was driving me crazy not knowing if the legacy was alive or dead.

And it is great beyond the BS. It's sublime. It isn't perfect, and there are some rough spots, some things that feel cheap or rushed a little (like how you vanish from the world when loading a zone, and how cardboard and artificial zone-loading feels), and it's waaay the fuck too easy so far (I'm playing a monk primarily, though I also have a Demon Hunter and Wizard on Asia and Europe servers to avoid outages, which kept me playing last night), but the game just moves like butter, things die so nicely, and I love (as mentioned) the framework behind it. I'm not one on achievements and stuff to earn points, but I like them in individual games, an ongoing sense of accomplishment. This has that, and it doesn't seem tacked-on or lame. I like the changes from D2 also. Some might not, but I think a change was needed and this feels interesting. I'm curious to see how it will work out later in the game when I've got more options.

So yeah... I'm angry at myself for biting, but it had been distracting me to the point of preoccupation, so I decided to take the hit and be a douchebag. So here I am.

Am I glad I did it? Not really. I have no doubt that I'll enjoy most of my time with the game when there aren't outages or something stupid keeping me from playing it, and if I end up playing with Sy like we used to in the good old days that would be nostalgia city, but I feel guilty for supporting a direction I clearly don't agree with. Again, though, I don't think my contribution or lack thereof ultimately matters, and with nothing else filling this bill right now for me until Grim Dawn... it is what it is. I feel weak, and I guess I am. But so what, I guess. Not like anybody really gives a shit.

So yeah. Battletag Quemaqua1641. We should play and stuff.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #278 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 01:32:58 PM »
I don't "vote with my dollars".  I genuinely want no part of this kind of a rectal ream, not even for (what otherwise might have been) the best game in the history of mankind.  I know that voting with my dollars is a waste of time when so many brain-dead doofi nullify it.  Sometimes even the not-so-brain-dead lend them a hand.  :P

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #279 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 01:54:38 PM »
Ha! Now I don't feel so bad; I bit last night as well. I don't think I was quite as hard on the game as you, but I was disappointed with the online only decisions. Maybe my opinion was slightly tempered because I had already bit with Star Craft 2. While I don't have any understanding of how MMO-like justifications can be made with the game or how things like the auction house will do anything good for the game, it's mostly because I don't intend to play the game in a way that is in line with these. At most, I'll play with you guys. That's about it and it doesn't require this online shackling.

I've got about two hours in last night with a Witch Doctor and had fun with how odd the class is. You could say it's like the Necromancer, but the Necromancer was so much more straightforward. I don't necessarily like how MMO-trappings have made it into the game and I feel like something is lost with a bit of the 3D NPC animation (the main characters and monsters look great, however). The feel of the gameplay is spot on though and I think I dig the way skills are handled now.

Anyway, I'll play with you Que. You'll just have to put up with me running off every few minutes to change a diaper... that and my hours may be somewhat limited for a bit of time. Think of this as a long term project and we're good.