Author Topic: Max Payne movie trailer!!  (Read 3577 times)

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
Max Payne movie trailer!!
« on: Thursday, July 10, 2008, 09:39:27 PM »

oh snap..that looks pretty good!
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Max Payne movie trailer!!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, July 10, 2008, 11:46:08 PM »
Actually, that doesn't look half bad.  They really seem to have nailed the tone of the thing, and it may well end up being better than the game in some ways (if they add blood and swearing... in the game, I always felt the absence of those things was very jarring).  Also impressive was that I noticed numerous shots that were filmed exactly as they were in the game, and that's pretty great.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #2 on: Friday, July 11, 2008, 02:34:22 AM »
Looks pretty good but I noticed some "supernatural" things in there.. Something that resembled a harpy.. I don't remember anything remotely like that the game.. what's up with that? Dream sequence?

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Friday, July 11, 2008, 02:36:21 AM »
He did have a lot of trippy dream sequences in the first game.

Also, they were really annoying.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Friday, July 11, 2008, 06:55:05 AM »
Seems in the spirit of the game to me, at least potentially.  Frankly, I thought there should have been a little bit more than that.  What was there helped add to the surreal nature of the thing, which really helped me to get beyond all the hardcore gangsters running around calling me a "dumb jerk" and "rat fink" all the time instead of something a hardcore gangster might actually say, and never taking a bullet wound even when I pounded them with machine guns.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #5 on: Friday, July 11, 2008, 07:39:51 AM »
Looks mildly interesting.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Friday, July 11, 2008, 11:12:37 PM »
The dream sequences in both games were cool, but the mechanism for them in the first game kind of pissed me off (some blood maze or something).  As for the winged harpy thing, I kind of just assumed it was almost symbolic.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Friday, July 11, 2008, 11:38:10 PM »
Wasn't the name of the drug "angel" or something like that?  It seemed to make sense to me when I saw it there in the trailer, but I couldn't give you a reason.  That's what comes to mind.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #8 on: Friday, October 17, 2008, 01:02:50 AM »
Early reviews say its not good, but then I saw this quote,
As good as a couple of its action beats are, Max still suffers from the heartlessness that makes games emotionally inferior to movies. Nobody ever shed a tear over a video-game character's death.
Fucker.

And of course the other reviews say the story is crap which I pretty much assumed. The most positive review quotes,
a dumb film with a great conceptual hook from a director who visualizes better than he dramatizes.
Which is more or less what I was looking for.

I know I shouldnt pay attention to critics but I do check out the overall rating that rottentomato gives because I get pissed putting money down on a waste of 2 hours.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Friday, October 17, 2008, 06:17:59 AM »
That doesn't seem so far from what the games were, anyway.  I didn't think they were bad, but I certainly wasn't going to cry over Max.  It wasn't a bad yarn, but the emotion was mostly left behind for the majority of the time so you could focus on vengeance.  I was expecting a more conceptual film, not so much a dramatic one.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, October 18, 2008, 06:53:16 AM »
Wasn't the name of the drug "angel" or something like that? 
Yes.
And the drug is called Valkyr.

Quote from: Pyro
I know I shouldnt pay attention to critics but I do check out the overall rating that rottentomato gives because I get pissed putting money down on a waste of 2 hours.
I like the visual look of the movie -- but eh, we're talking about talking a game series that's trying to be condensed into 2 hours.

This is where the problem I think will be. Given most games' length, I think most games would be better off being turned into a mini-series on say HBO for a season (or more) to be fully fleshed-out, not say a 2 hour flick.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, October 21, 2008, 07:33:13 PM »
2.5 stars from IGN (out of 5).
Ouch

IGN don't like the fact that the mob storyline was tossed out.
Ummmmm...WTF?
That was like a big part of what sets up the story to the big corporation being involved.