Author Topic: The Currently Playing Thread / Recently Finished Thread  (Read 250293 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: The Currently Playing Thread / Recently Finished Thread
« Reply #680 on: Sunday, February 10, 2013, 06:15:05 PM »

While I'm here, the talk about Wind Waker going HD got me playing that lovely game once more.  (My Wii still works, after being idle over a year.  Yay!  It's a superior Gamecube, with progressive-scan display.  It's gotten a lot more use as a GC than a Wii.  How sad.)  WW, being cel-based, still looks terrific.  The blurry textures are few and far between, with much of the rendering being shader-based. This may be why Nintendo chose it as something to upgrade for the new console.  That and the Tingle tuner being a shoe-in for the pad screen.  From there, I went on to Twilight Princess (the GC version--the only proper version of that game), which I'm still playing.

Ha. After hearing about the remaster I went and loaded Wind Waker up in Dolphin again.  I've actually never played it even though I consider myself a Zelda fan (I actually haven't played much of the recent console versions past MM).  It looks awesome and runs great on my 2007-ish computer (which has had a video card update to be fair), but there are little problems with emulation that probably won't be corrected until I get a new PC one day (sound errors in the DSP plugin requiring the slow emulation of audio, which causes a bit too much of a drag.  Playing at fullspeed with wonky sound is a tough pill to swallow). I do have a Wii, but no GC controller.  Realistically, if I ever get the motivation to figure out how to run GC games off of USB I'll probably pick one up (shhhhh).

I do, however, have Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword for Wii, although I had a hard time getting into Twilight Princess (I was playing on a 20" CRT at the time).  I may cave and try one of those out, but WW is the Zelda I really want to play these days.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #681 on: Monday, February 11, 2013, 11:06:20 PM »
I blasted through Arkham City pretty fast. Only have a bit over half of the Riddler trophies but whatever. I don't want to burn out searching for them and instead moved right into Arkham City. Which is pretty cool, its got the same sort of feel but in a much larger and more open environment. Running across the rooftops reminds me of all the time I spent in the Assassins Creed games. One things thats sorta sad about that is there is all this great city detail down at street level but since you'd get in a fight every 2 minutes and traveling anywhere would take forever there is really little incentive to walk around down there.

After this I think I'll do some backlog cleanup. Got a ways into Metroid Prime 3 that I should finish, as well as Yakuza Dead Souls. Probably do Prime first since I can pretty much guarantee that can be completed a lot faster than Yakuza. Then Cobra reminded me that I should totally play Twilight Princess. Gamecube version, booya!

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #682 on: Monday, February 11, 2013, 11:34:17 PM »
I just finished that.  My last time through the game was in 2009, going by my save files.  I had forgotten enough about it for it to be fun solving again.  Super game.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Re: The Currently Playing Thread / Recently Finished Thread
« Reply #683 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 01:04:34 AM »
Twilight Princess is the great game you're talking about?  I have it. I should play it, shouldn't I?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #684 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 09:02:54 AM »
Yes, and yes, you should.  It needs some time investment, though.  Do you play GC games on Dolphin?  Save states would be a big help for someone who can't see a dungeon through all in one shot.

The game takes maybe a dozen hours to really open up to Ocarina-like goodness.  The early going is very linear and at times feels constricting.  It's very much worth it, imo.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #685 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 09:31:28 AM »
IMO the game suffers until you can change out of your wolf form at-will.  I finished it right before Skyward Sword came out.  I was pushing myself to get through it, so I likely didn't enjoy it as much as I would have otherwise.

In my opinion, Wind Waker still tops it.

Also, if you're able to play in dolphin that's what I'd recommend.  Cobra's right.  Some of the dungeons take a while, and I was forced to keep playing long after I wanted to stop a few times just because I didn't want to have to traverse back through it.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #686 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 09:59:29 AM »
Most dungeons can be saved out of safely once you pick up a key item (the unique device or the big key--even small keys help a bunch).  Traversing from the beginning of dungeons with these is usually much quicker.  They are designed with the save-system flaws in mind.  It's too bad the Ooccoo character doesn't help in this regard.  They missed an opportunity there.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Re: The Currently Playing Thread / Recently Finished Thread
« Reply #687 on: Saturday, February 16, 2013, 07:46:02 PM »
And I'm going to hold off until I can run games a bit better in Dolphin. 

In unrelated news, now playing through Infamous.  Fun but the side missions are pretty repetitive.  Probably going to have to just start ignoring them.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #688 on: Sunday, February 17, 2013, 10:04:54 AM »
I took advantage of a nasty bout of stomach flu to lay around and finish the main story in Arkham City this weekend.  Great game.  Any future Batman games have a LOT to live up to.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #689 on: Sunday, February 17, 2013, 12:27:00 PM »
The Batman Arkham games are ridiculously good.  I only wish there were more reasons to keep playing them.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #690 on: Sunday, February 17, 2013, 06:51:41 PM »
Took me a little over 8 hours total playing just today alone from start to finish...
...but Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (PC) just got its Single Player Campaign finished.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #691 on: Monday, February 18, 2013, 11:07:16 AM »
Took me a little over 8 hours total playing just today alone from start to finish...
...but Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (PC) just got its Single Player Campaign finished.

Did you play MW1 and 2? Is it worth it for the story/characters? (lol) As strange as it sounds I really got into the characters by the second one, and the ending was really intense. I'd love to see what's going on with them after the fact, but wasn't ready for another yearly CoD game by the time MW3 came out. (and I heard the multiplayer had balance issues)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #692 on: Monday, February 18, 2013, 04:12:30 PM »
Did you play MW1 and 2?
Yup.

Is it worth it for the story/characters? (lol)
That's up for debate.

If you want some finality on certain characters and story-arcs, then yes....to some of that.
Otherwise - some of it is pretty ridiculous...and even predictable, at times. So, on that part - I don't know. {shrug}

As strange as it sounds I really got into the characters by the second one, and the ending was really intense. I'd love to see what's going on with them after the fact, but wasn't ready for another yearly CoD game by the time MW3 came out. (and I heard the multiplayer had balance issues)
MW2 and MW3 are nowhere as grounded as MW1 was.
MW2 and MW3 are both WAY-the-hell over-the-top, in terms of story, character & plot.
Hell, MW3's even more over-the-top in all than aspects more so than MW2.

MW3 is a roller-coaster ride of a shooter - so I played through it b/c of its intense action and awesome set-pieces that I couldn't let go of...
...and b/c I had the time to do so.

I certainly got my $10 worth on the SP, IMHO. {shrug}

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #693 on: Monday, February 18, 2013, 08:08:24 PM »
I just remember that by the end of MW2 I really liked Soap and Price, and wanted to see what happened with them in MW3.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #694 on: Monday, February 18, 2013, 11:31:58 PM »
Unless it is action/fighting/sports games, I just can't bring myself to play games on a console. But ever since I've moved my 360/TV out of the bedroom, strangely, I've found it far more appealing to spend long hours in front of the thing.

Any ideas why?

Regardless, have finally started played Red Dead Redemption. Only played 3-4 hours, but the game is really sweet!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #695 on: Monday, February 18, 2013, 11:42:20 PM »
Red Dead Redemption is simply amazing. You're in for a great ride.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #696 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 03:45:11 AM »
I see what you did there.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #697 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 05:24:38 AM »
I envy you Pugnate, going into RDR for the first time, soo good.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #698 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 06:16:45 AM »
Pug, whatever you do, DO NOT READ STORY SPOILERS.  Don't read anything about the game.  Just play it.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #699 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 01:42:37 PM »
I only remember reading one spoiler about the protagonist. Hint:

http://www.overwritten.net/forum/index.php?topic=8863.0

At least that's what I think I remember reading.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #700 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 02:21:50 PM »
With the recent re-release on GOG I reinstalled System Shock 2 last night so that's what I'm planning on playing next. With the latest unofficial patch and some mods the game looks pretty good for being 14 years old. :)

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #701 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 04:04:09 PM »
Oh, I beat Dead Space 3 yesterday. The leadup to the end was way better than the leadup to the end of Dead Space 2 (which was a clusterfuck). Final clock time was 28 hours. First two games took me about 15 hours each, for comparison.

Maybe back to Far Cry 3 now. Still slowly working on the Aliens: Colonial Marines campaign with a coop friend, a couple levels a night.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #702 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 05:35:03 PM »
I'm playing Skyrim again for some reason, even though I have a huge backlog of other games.  I'm doing a dual wielding, one handed, unarmored guy.  Screw blocking.  This character is awesome so far, especially with the Elemental Fury shout (increases attack speed substantially).

Oh, and I finished New Vegas a few days ago.  Great game.  Although, according to the ending, I missed quite a bit of stuff along the way.  Oops.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #703 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 07:15:08 PM »
I'm playing Skyrim again for some reason, even though I have a huge backlog of other games.  I'm doing a dual wielding, one handed, unarmored guy.  Screw blocking.  This character is awesome so far, especially with the Elemental Fury shout (increases attack speed substantially).

Oh, and I finished New Vegas a few days ago.  Great game.  Although, according to the ending, I missed quite a bit of stuff along the way.  Oops.
It's not crazy you wound-up back to Skyrim.

Skyrim is one of two games for me (TDU2 is the other) that are just big, massive, have so much to do, and whatnot...
...that I always end-up back to them eventually, even if it's just a few hours or numerous hours/days at hand.

BTW - I thought New Vegas was awesome. And especially its Old World Blues DLC.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #704 on: Thursday, February 21, 2013, 07:45:25 AM »
I decided to play Resistance 3 next.  Frustrating that the game required a good bit of patching up (and an installation) before I could even play the game.  I was going to play two nights ago, but by the time all that was finished I wanted to go to bed.

I've always had a soft spot for the Resistance games.  I thought the first one was fantastic.  In fact I played through it twice back to back because on the second trip through you accumulate new weaponry.  The second was good, but there were a few design deviations from the first game that made it suffer (limiting your available weapons instead of letting you keep every model you run across like in the first game - not good when one of your main draws is the inventive weaponry).  It also felt like it went on a little too long.  All three have gotten good reviews, but the series doesn't seem to garner the "AAA exclusive" buzz that other titles do.  In fact I read one reviewer for Resistance 3 say that the series has played something of the "B-team" to Sony's primary shooter, the Killzone series (What?!).

So far the game presents itself well.  I find shooters more comfortable with a 360 controller, so the DS3 is taking some getting used to again.  The game is move compatible (not happening) and 3d compatible (I may experiment with it since I just got a shiny new TV). 

I dunno, if anything it'll be worth the 9.99 I paid for it on a Best Buy deal of the day.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #705 on: Thursday, February 21, 2013, 08:54:13 AM »
I'm playing Zelda: Skyward Sword.  I've resisted up to now because the game needs a new hardware gadget, the Wii Motion Plus.  Together, they run $70-$90 retail (depending on whether you get just the adapter, or a whole new remote with the functionality built in).  But I found a deal on Amazon where I was able to get both together for around $56, and I jumped on it.  It seemed perfect to keep the Zelda ball rolling, and finally get to play the one real game in the series that I've missed.

It's a mixed bag.  First, the negatives.  Wii motion controls.  Yeah, OK, you can do some cool things with the sword now.  Not quite 1-1 motion, but it's close.  Swing at different angles, even thrust forward for stab--cool.  But that still saddles you with the very poorly laid out Wiimote/nunchuk functions.  I want a gamepad so bad for this thing, and screw the swordplay.  It was fine the way it was in WW and (GC) TP.  Even more annoyingly, they're using the Motion Plus for everything, including screen pointing.  This just blows.  It's much less sensitive than the excellent standard functionality the Wii has always had, and it's relative.  So you need a greater range of motion to cover the screen, and it doesn't seem as solid.  And if you're pointing in the wrong direction when you press a pointer-related button, it tries to be nice to you and recenter, which means you're now way off.  All you have to do to correct it is aim at the center and press a button, but this shouldn't even be necessary.  It should only recenter if I so choose.

Also, incomprehensibly, the new gadget wants to recalibrate itself every time it comes back from a sleeping state.  So if I take a bathroom break, when I get back I have to press a button, lay the thing flat on the table for a few seconds, point at the screen center and click.  Every damn time.  Stupid beyond belief.

So the first few hours were spent getting used to the odd controls.  They work fairly well once that happens, and I was able to get into the game, which seems very worthwhile.  If you've played the other 3D Zeldas, you know what to expect.  Little has changed as far as the philosophy and overall design.  Some past obtuseness has returned, unfortunately--the use of statues to save, rather than saving at any time (which WW and TP allow).  But so far, this hasn't been a problem.  There are plenty of them around.  The world is huge, and the flying mechanic brings a smile to my face.  That's despite the disappointing loading break whenever you transition from pedestrian to avian, or back again.  It seems the world data changes completely from one form to another.

That brings to mind the general tech limitations.  They really show!  It's sad that Wind Waker looks better to me than a much newer game designed for this system, rather than a past one.  I think the biggest reason is that they're both the same resolution, but SS spreads out those pixels to fill the 16:9 screen, while WW keeps them closer together in a 4:3 window.  SS tries to combine the cheerful colors of WW with the more realistic style of TP, and largely succeeds.  But the old tech just hurts.  Blur and artifacts abound.  Pity.

Despite all the baggage, it's still an exciting and compelling world.  Skyloft has a lot to see and do, and that's just the starting hub.  You can move easily between the sky world and the land below, giving it all a very open feeling.  Combat is satisfying and more challenging than usual (not just because of the unfamiliar controls, I think).  The most advanced enemies I've met so far will block at different angles, and you need to swing the sword accordingly to get around their defenses.  I have yet to enter my very first temple/dungeon, though.  That comes next.  I quit last night right outside of it.  More to come.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #706 on: Sunday, February 24, 2013, 01:05:44 PM »
I know that I would love Zelda games given the chance to play them. The last one I played was Ocarina of Time on the N64, a looong time ago, it was awesome.

I just started playing Scribblenauts Unlimited (now that it has finally unlocked for Europe) and it is awesome! It looks like a cute game but it can get deeply creative!

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #707 on: Monday, February 25, 2013, 07:30:43 AM »
I started Resistance 3, but found out quickly that I'm currently not in the mood for a FPS like this.  I got frustrated and put it away for the moment.

That said, Idol and I are going to play through Dark Souls, and as a "break" from that I also pulled out my copy of New Super Mario Brothers Wii.  Or at least I thought it was a break.  I am finding that either suddenly I suck at platformers or NSMB is just tough.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #708 on: Monday, February 25, 2013, 04:42:40 PM »
I spent some good 5 hours yesterday w/ Assassin's Creed: Revelations (PC).

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #709 on: Saturday, March 02, 2013, 12:50:57 AM »
I just spent about 90 minutes with Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

I don't think this game is for me. The overwhelming feeling I got wasn't fear, it was boredom. I know, I sound like some ADD dumbass who didn't give it a shot, but I really did. I turned off the lights, put on the headphones, I was reading all the diaries and shit. I was really trying to get into it, but felt like I was just wandering around a lot. I saw one monster, and he was walking away from me and I never saw him again. The insanity stuff just felt artificial. The whole game felt like it was trying to scare me by creating the side effects of fear, instead of by giving me something to be scared of. "You're going insane, you must be really scared! Go hide in a corner to avoid the monster, it'll surely make you scared!"

Then I got stuck in a room for 20+ minutes. By this time I'd already seen multiple instances of "the ceiling caved in behind you, so you can't go back where you came from. Find another way to go." I entered a room in the wine cellar, and the ceiling caved in behind me. Then a barrel falls from the rafters in a quick cutscene. I feel like the game is telling me, "ok, you can't go back, but you can go up." Wrong. I spent like 20 minutes shoving shit around trying to climb up there, then finally got up and there wasn't anything there. So then after all this time, a tip appears onscreen: "you can move heavy objects by blah blah blah." Oh, shit. You wanted me to move the rocks that caved in behind me? Great, now that I've piled up like 8 rafters and 5 rocks in front of the door while trying to climb up. It took me another 5 minutes to clear the door. Once I cleared all that out, I saved and exited. It's late, and I'm too frustrated to continue at the moment.

I just don't think a horror game without combat works, at least not for me. I felt the same way about Slenderman and SCP Containment Protocol. Slenderman was too hard to avoid and it felt like the game wasn't meant to be finished. In SCP the creature was so hard to avoid that he wouldn't do shit to me because it would make the game impossible. In SCP I found a button that would open a door for like 5 seconds. So I hit it, and went through the door. Oops, it's a containment room that can only be opened from the outside, now you're stuck.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #710 on: Sunday, March 03, 2013, 03:36:15 PM »
At around 19 hours & 43 mins (according to Raptr), SP Campaign for Assassin's Creed: Revelations (PC) is done with.

So, yeah - ACR was good.
ACR is better than AC1 - but, that's about it.
ACR is nowhere as great as AC2 + ACB, IMHO.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #711 on: Tuesday, March 05, 2013, 06:34:49 PM »
I started playing Just Cause 2 and L.A. Noire, but JC2 just wasn't as much fun as it should've been and L.A. Noire is killing my computer (I'll have to play it on Xbox). I'm thinking about going with The Witcher, but I haven't decided if I should start with the first or go straight to the second one.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #712 on: Tuesday, March 05, 2013, 10:31:12 PM »
Finished Zelda SS last night.  I haven't used this much profanity against all other Zelda games combined.  I'll do a post-mortem eventually, but right now, I'm too conflicted to be trust my judgment.  The first line from A Tale of Two Cities comes to mind.

Ive been playing Dirt 2 for the past few days as well, and that is amazingly good.  It must have been the best ever seen when it launched back in '09.  I'd say I'm sorry I waited this long--but at $5, not really.  Score!

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #713 on: Wednesday, March 06, 2013, 11:29:05 AM »
How many hours overall did you have in Zelda, Cobra?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #714 on: Wednesday, March 06, 2013, 12:38:10 PM »
It reports something like 113, but that has to include all the idle time.  The game was often on all day, and I'd leave to run errands, eat, mess around online (like now), etc.  There's no way I played 113 hours for real.  It is a big game, without a lot of padding.  I'd say 60 hours is a realistic estimate of actual involvement.  I chased a lot of extras, but not all.  Some things are too frustrating for me to bother with.

I started a Hero Mode game after finishing, but after finding out what that is, I wimped out.  You get double damage from everything, and there are no hearts given to you by anything. To regain health, you need to rely on potions, fairies, and the few places to sit or sleep.  I thought the game was plenty hard enough at normal difficulty.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #715 on: Monday, March 11, 2013, 07:26:11 PM »
I listened to all of the people on GameFAQs and went with the first Witcher. I have to say, this game is extremely frustrating. The controls are clunky, theres no fast travel and I'm stuck on a boss battle and it won't let me save before the battle so I have to go thru the same dialog and cutscenes over and over again just so I can die. I hope the second one is a lot better...

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #716 on: Monday, March 11, 2013, 09:10:39 PM »
I listened to all of the people on GameFAQs and went with the first Witcher. I have to say, this game is extremely frustrating. The controls are clunky, theres no fast travel and I'm stuck on a boss battle and it won't let me save before the battle so I have to go thru the same dialog and cutscenes over and over again just so I can die. I hope the second one is a lot better...
The second one is certainly better on all fronts. The first one is great but you're right, the controls can be clunky. Which camera mode are you using btw?

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #717 on: Monday, March 11, 2013, 10:39:32 PM »
The second one is certainly better on all fronts. The first one is great but you're right, the controls can be clunky. Which camera mode are you using btw?

I forgot the name, but it's the camera angle where its over my shoulder and I move around with WASD.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #718 on: Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 12:05:12 AM »
I forgot the name, but it's the camera angle where its over my shoulder and I move around with WASD.
Ah ok, that's the least clunky of the camera angles and control schemes! haha

In my opinion, the prologue and the first chapter were the most tedious and least interesting parts of the game. Persevering through them did pay off though, the second and third chapters are great and they account for a much larger percentage of the game. When I got into Vizima that's when the game really picked up for me.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #719 on: Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 09:03:34 AM »
I'm on the outskirts of Vizima right now, I still haven't killed the beast yet, thats where I'm stuck at.