Author Topic: Shoot 'Em Up  (Read 5894 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Shoot 'Em Up
« on: Tuesday, September 04, 2007, 11:24:04 PM »
Youtube
Official site (thats taking forever to load because its all done in flash and completely pissing me off)

Nothing like some completely over the top gunplay.

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Shoot 'Em Up
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, September 05, 2007, 12:03:34 AM »
Wow, honestly, whats not to like?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, September 05, 2007, 12:22:38 AM »
Weapons overdose, Paul Giamatti, one liners, and the potential for gratuitous nudity?  Count me in!

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, September 05, 2007, 01:44:21 PM »
I been wanting to see this one since I saw the first preview for it when I saw Bourne Ultimatum.

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #4 on: Friday, September 07, 2007, 03:53:53 PM »
Not sure how they got it, but IESB is hosting a clip from the movie.  It's NSFW and all, but worth the watch.  Who doesn't love sex and gunfights?
(click to show/hide)
  Clive Owen is very much the man.

http://iesb.net/index.php?option=com_xevidmegafx&Itemid=139&func=detail&id=1334

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: Friday, September 07, 2007, 07:33:17 PM »
We are gonna go try to see this tomorrow night. We were gonna go tonight, but I didn't get off work until almost 10pm.

Offline Xero

• Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, September 09, 2007, 11:53:17 AM »
Pyro and I went and saw it last night. IMO its every bit as good as it looked. I'm sure he'll be on here later to give you a better review.

(click to show/hide)

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #7 on: Sunday, September 09, 2007, 09:21:27 PM »
Yea, pretty solid action. The dialogue parts are a bit cheesy sometimes but hey, it adds to its charm. Its pretty much exactly what you would expect from watching the trailer. Go in, leave your brain at the door, be entertained, and come out satisfied.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, September 09, 2007, 09:37:21 PM »
We still haven't got a chance to go see it. Megan and I worked today and when we got home at about 5:30 or so, we just wanted to take a nap. So we both slept until almost 8pm. Maybe sometime later this week.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #9 on: Friday, December 07, 2007, 01:20:32 PM »
I finally got around to seeing this, and I really enjoyed it.  I loved the stylizied and romanticized action sequences.  Of course the plot was non-existent, much like I expected, but it was still a really sequence.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, February 26, 2008, 02:46:00 PM »
This and Planet Terror are the best movies that have ever been created.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, February 26, 2008, 02:58:41 PM »
I hated it.

I liked both Planet Terror and Death Proof though.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, February 26, 2008, 03:08:14 PM »
I hope someone stabs you with a carrot.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, February 26, 2008, 07:45:36 PM »
Pug Gets Stabbed With Carrot.

Now that is a movie I'd go see.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, February 26, 2008, 09:25:39 PM »
I finally got around to seeing it a few weeks ago. It was okay. It was just a little too over the top. Fun though.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, February 26, 2008, 11:12:31 PM »
I hope someone stabs you with a carrot.

In the eye. Good for the eyesight you know.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, February 27, 2008, 06:05:57 AM »
For some reason I thought I had already posted here.. Weird. Maybe it's deja vú..

Anyway, it is one of the most ridiculous over-the-top gun-toting movies I have ever watched. A satire of 'crazy action' films.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, August 03, 2008, 12:52:13 PM »
What a piece of shit.  Oh, I get it.  It's a demented farce, slapstick for the sociopath, doing its best to emulate the style of post-production masterpieces like Sin City and 300.  I'm all for over the top, but some grounding in reality is still required to keep my interest.  Otherwise, why bother with a story at all?  If the fantasy action devices are all that matters, who cares about a plot?  Oh, wait.  The plot was absurd as well.  Never mind.

And if I see one more movie where everyone shoots kilograms of lead at the good guy except when they surprise him with a gun to the back of his head, I'm going to go postal in Hollywood.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, August 03, 2008, 12:55:03 PM »
I'm all for over the top, but some grounding in reality is still required to keep my interest.

Just out of curiosity, if you feel this way, why did you even watch the movie?  That's kind of the whole point with this one.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, August 03, 2008, 01:13:59 PM »
It popped up on my TV as I was scanning through the sat channels.  It had just started, and looked way more interesting than anything else that was on.  I hit the record button on the DVR about halfway through, because I was falling asleep.  I watched the rest of it this morning, when once again there was nothing else on that was worth a damn, or that I hadn't already seen multiple times.  Maybe the real question is, why does anyone pay for premium movie channels in the summertime?

(click to show/hide)

All that aside, Que, how can I judge something I haven't experienced?  I didn't know anything about this movie beforehand.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, August 03, 2008, 01:57:05 PM »
I guess I just assumed you'd read the rest of our opinions on here beforehand.

I don't know, I liked the movie.  Everything you said is entirely true, but I guess that's why I enjoyed it.  As for the comedy value... the whole thing is supposed to be funny.  If you weren't laughing through half of it, you were missing the point.  It was supposed to look like it took itself seriously, but it didn't on any level whatsoever when you got down to it.  It was just excess and ridiculousness for the fun of it.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, August 03, 2008, 02:44:07 PM »
I don't know how else to explain it.  Does branding something a spoof throw all requirements for making sense out the window?  I don't think so.  It might have been a different experience with friends at a theater, where an appreciative crowd's responses become infectious.  As something I watched alone without any previous knowledge or expectations, it failed for me.  The political overtones didn't help either.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, August 03, 2008, 06:21:21 PM »
I'm with Cobra.  Like Snakes On A Plane before it, I think it looks utterly retarded.  I don't care if it's a "joke" or not... why spend money on something so fucking stupid?  I don't get it.

I honestly cannot believe that all of you were excited to see this movie.  I immediately branded it as something to avoid.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, August 03, 2008, 07:01:13 PM »
I wasn't excited to see it.  I borrowed the DVD from a friend and watched it one night just for kicks.  I wouldn't have gone to the theater for it, nor do I even feel the urge to buy it on DVD.  But it was good fun all the way through and I fail to understand the confusion here.

My life and most of my tastes are already like those of an old man, but if it gets any worse after 30 then I'm just going to commit suicide at 29 and be done with it.  It's just a humorous action movie for God's sake.  It's a knock-knock joke.  You may occasionally feel a little spark of guilt in your gut when you know your time would be better spend reading Milton or Melville or Dostoevsky, or listening to Dylan Thomas recitations with a glass of wine in the darkness of a summer night, or absorbing Isaac Stern playing Mendelssohn or Dutilleux... but if you can lower yourself to that slightly baser level and enjoy it, great.  You're probably going to be happier and live a lot fucking longer.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: Monday, August 04, 2008, 12:01:05 PM »
Oh, man, I'm sorry I didn't like it.  If I knew it was going to upset you so much, I would have lied about it.  I mean, you're right.  It is just a 90-minute joke.  So who cares.

Suicide is a lot harder to go through than I realized.  I think you have to be insane, in constant excruciating pain, or somehow lose all sense of self.  Daily dull misery is simply not enough, not nearly.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #25 on: Monday, August 04, 2008, 07:23:54 PM »
No, don't get me wrong.  I completely understand your reasons for not liking the movie, and it doesn't upset me, it just seems that to you and more so maybe to scott, how anyone could possibly enjoy the movie is beyond all comprehension, and the fact that any of us did enjoy it automatically makes us a pack of clowns.  What I'm saying is that no, the movie isn't the most amazing thing in the world, and yeah, you could do a lot better with your time, but come on... it's just a stupid little movie.  It doesn't seem that baffling that some of us can just enjoy it for what it is, even if that isn't ultimately all that much.  It was good enough to be enjoyed even if there wasn't a whole lot beyond that.

I guess it's like Audiosurf, to use another current example elsewhere on the boards.  I think it's sort of lame since it doesn't make better use of its gimmick, but a lot of other people dig it, and while it isn't really my deal, I get why people might like it.  But it seems with this movie you guys can't wrap your heads around what anyone could possibly see in it, like it was a black hole where all thought and respectability must inevitably be sucked, and it just doesn't seem nearly so catastrophic to me.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, August 05, 2008, 08:34:06 AM »
The fact that people like it after seeing it isn't unfathomable and doesn't bother me in the least bit; I'm just surprised anyone at all was actually excited to go see it.  To me, it looked dumber than Wanted and I thought that movie looked ridiculously dumb.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, October 02, 2008, 10:53:15 PM »
I enjoyed a few of the moments, but overall I found the movie rather forgettable.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #28 on: Saturday, October 04, 2008, 04:46:08 AM »
I remember posting my thoughts about this one, and then I couldn't find them. A quick search lead me to the "movies" thread:

"I saw "Shootem Up."

One of the worst pieces of shit I've seen. I want to break the DVD into little pieces. What a horrible piece of garbage. "

"...that's the thing, it wasn't funny, it wasn't clever. The title suggests something of a parody, and aside from a couple of instances it didn't have any clever moments. Nor were the action scenes good enough. And that sex shooting scene was tacky.

I just kept watching and thinking,"What the fuck is this shit?""

I saw some of it again on TV, and couldn't change my mind. If you can call it a parody, then it is a really poor one.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #29 on: Saturday, October 04, 2008, 03:09:57 PM »
Or alternatively we can just say that you're stupid.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #30 on: Sunday, October 05, 2008, 04:24:18 AM »
Or alternatively we can just say that you're stupid.

Yup, the movie had all the subtlety, intelligence, and class of that statement.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #31 on: Sunday, October 05, 2008, 07:25:37 AM »
Judge not the man who enjoys the occasional stupid movie, for it isn't he who goes through life spending time searching out old threads to re-post his same thoughts on something that shouldn't register as an issue to him in the first place.

You know, at this point I'm beginning to wonder if we aren't dual-trolling this thread.  That's sort of awesome in its own way.  It's almost like a game.  Semi-cooperative trolling along the lines of The Four Swords, where you're working together, but also competing.  Maybe that can be a feature in Thread Trolling: The Game.  I think that should be Introversion's next epic simulation.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #32 on: Sunday, October 05, 2008, 08:16:08 AM »
I wanted to share my thoughts in the thread actually about the movie, where people actually were discussing it.

Honestly, I like to come to OW to have a chit chat and get away from the idiots in my life. Not run into more.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #33 on: Sunday, October 05, 2008, 09:01:40 AM »
Jeezus.  What is it about this movie that inspires so much hate and frustration?  I haven't even been seriously trying to defend it, I just don't understand what brings you guys back to beat on the movie some more when it's just a stupid movie that doesn't even register on the relevance scale even as far as stupid movies go; and then you get like super pissed off and call me an idiot when I make a comment even in jest.  Seriously, what the fuck?

This thread is evil or something.  Maybe it should be locked and cleansed with fire.  There's something in it that seems to bring out the worst in people, and for some reason I can't help coming back to read it, which is equally baffling.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #34 on: Sunday, October 05, 2008, 09:56:55 AM »
Y'know, so many movies try to stay grounded in reality, yet have so many over-the-top things pieces in them, the movie often just doesn't work. Shoot 'Em Up is the kind of movie that decides to throw every so-called written rule of the book out the window to shoot it right in the face with an over-the-top explosion or two thrown in for good measure, while spinning sideways down a rope. Ridiculously entertaining.

Shoot 'Em Up was so over-the-top in performance; purposely ridiculous in many regards from the insane plotline to the action sequences; parodying a ton of flicks -- for an hour and a half (or so), it was a popcorn movie blast for me back when I saw it on DVD. To each his or her own.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #35 on: Sunday, October 05, 2008, 10:38:50 AM »
Attention: Thread locked.
Reason: Evil thread.