Author Topic: Obama wins  (Read 30014 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Obama wins
« Reply #80 on: Wednesday, November 12, 2008, 11:09:56 PM »
Interestingly enough, some provinces here have provisions stating that religious institutions don't have to perform ceremonies at all and civil servants who don't agree with gay marriage aren't forced to have anything to do with them.  I don't really follow because I don't care, but I know several different groups planned on challenging said amendments and provisions because they "sent the wrong message about tolerance".  And then they put on their boas and dry humped on a float.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #81 on: Saturday, November 15, 2008, 11:22:18 PM »
That about sums up my position on it as well.

Mine as well. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #82 on: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 08:55:59 AM »
to go off on a tangent then (if we hadn't already), do you think that it is impossible for atheists to be truly married - and by extension, do you think the same of people who have different faiths than your own? how about atheistic religions such as buddhism? none of the afore mentioned marriages involve a relationship with god - well at least, not your god.

the word "marriage" does not belong to christianity, and christians have no right to say who can and can not get married.

that said, if a religion does not believe in gay marriage, then obviously no gay couple can demand it's blessing.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #83 on: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 12:53:12 PM »
Aw, man, you didn't get it.  It's really simple.  You're trying to read too much into it.  The devout-Christian position is 100% completely inflexible.  Man and woman.  Period.  Either you believe that, or you don't.  As long as people can vote on an issue, they're going to choose the side they believe in.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #84 on: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 02:38:50 PM »
man, i know i've said it before, but i really fucking hate religion.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #85 on: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 02:52:52 PM »
China and the Soviet Union eliminated the problem (or so they thought, since Orthodox Catholicism survived the USSR intact).  Should we follow their lead?  We're becoming more like them every day anyway.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #86 on: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 03:35:33 PM »
Are you really saying allowing gay marriage will be following the lead of communism?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #87 on: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 03:39:16 PM »
No.  Beo said he hates religion.  A lot of gay people and their supporters are in the process of attacking churches, and not always in a legal way.  If religion is the problem with the precious right of the gay movement to redefine marriage, should we eliminate religion, as China and the USSR tried to do?  Something stands in your way, just kill it, right?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #88 on: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 03:40:38 PM »
I don't want to put words into people's mouths but I can only see it as a comment on banning religion....which never works.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #89 on: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 03:54:35 PM »
well if you're going to ban gay marriage, might as well ban religion while you're at it. people's rights only go as far as the next person...

i'd just be happy if people thought for themselves rather than relying on a book. but you know, whatever works for them and fuck everybody else if they don't agree, right?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #90 on: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 04:34:26 PM »
Thankfully, what people choose to believe isn't up to you.  You speak about rights and about what's fair but you are falling into the very same trappings as those you are accusing..

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #91 on: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 04:47:58 PM »
no, i say believe what you want, just don't impose your beliefs on others. as soon as your beliefs encroach on others rights - then yeah - fuck you.

and no, i don't genuinely think religion should be banned. just because i think it's crock doesn't mean that i have the right to impose my view.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #92 on: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 05:53:24 PM »
No.  Beo said he hates religion.  A lot of gay people and their supporters are in the process of attacking churches, and not always in a legal way.  If religion is the problem with the precious right of the gay movement to redefine marriage, should we eliminate religion, as China and the USSR tried to do?  Something stands in your way, just kill it, right?

Well as far as separation of church and state goes, yes.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #93 on: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 06:28:08 PM »
You either get some semblance of democracy or a 100% separation of church and state.  Take your pick.  As the separation of the two swords was originally defined, well...that's what you have now.  Want more?  You're going to need to give up your vote and live in a pure republic.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #94 on: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 08:56:35 PM »
Thank you.  I think the fundamentals of the separation issue are commonly misunderstood.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #95 on: Monday, November 17, 2008, 05:33:39 AM »
Realistically speaking religious pluralism would be ideal. It's something that Canada, which is almost as Christian as America percentage wise has done pretty well in recent years.

Basically I'm going to stop talking because the country I live in does what I want.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #96 on: Monday, November 17, 2008, 05:40:54 PM »
That's fair, but it's not like America is all that far behind.  Provinces in Canada have only actually been allowing same sex marriages since 2003 and Canada took that oh so evasive middle step where common law unions were allowable before actual marriage.  As Nick said, it also has to basically come from the top down.  As recently as 2005 or 6 all indications seemed to point to the fact that in a referendum same sex marriage would not be passed.  The average Canadian really is no more progressive, and America really isn't all that far behind, we just tend to have a more activist judicial staff.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #97 on: Thursday, November 20, 2008, 11:16:42 PM »
i'd just be happy if people thought for themselves rather than relying on a book. but you know, whatever works for them and fuck everybody else if they don't agree, right?

Well I was going to call you ignorant but The Book tells me to love you, so I love you.

But fuck everyone else if they don't agree.