Author Topic: A grand thing with a short name - Chess  (Read 7548 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: A grand thing with a short name - Chess
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, December 03, 2008, 10:36:26 PM »
You know what I've always wanted to play? Knightmare Chess.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #41 on: Friday, December 05, 2008, 12:16:35 AM »
Normally chess variants seem stupid to me, but that actually looks like it could be fun.

Anyway, you guys should totally come play with us on Babas/FICS.  We're having a great time.

[21:57]idolminds: I sw it on mythbusters, it must be true
[21:58]Ghandiee: They are *so* scientific
[21:58]idolminds: yes, nothing about their testing methods could possibly be faulty
[21:58]Quemaqua: don't ever question the Mythbusters
[21:59]idolminds: they have a soda machine that shoots cans at you. Do you want them to use it on YOU? Didnt think so
[21:59]Ghandiee: Oh, I forgot. They have a hot chick. They MUST be right
[21:59]idolminds: I would so bust her myth. Whatever that means
[22:00]Quemaqua: haha
[22:00]TheOtherBelmont: jamie and adam already did
[22:00]TheOtherBelmont: sorry idol
[22:00]Ghandiee: haha..
[22:00]idolminds: ah #$%&
[22:00]TheOtherBelmont: they do everything as a team
[22:01]idolminds: ok, now I'm weirded out
[22:01]TheOtherBelmont: woo
[22:01]TheOtherBelmont: mission accomplished
[22:01]Ghandiee: screenshot + post...whoever has the capability. I have no photoshop
[22:01]idolminds: copy and paste, #$%&#
[22:02]idolminds: also que, you should try win before 12:16
[22:02]idolminds: no pressure
[22:02]TheOtherBelmont: oh yeah, when your net craps out?
[22:02]idolminds: yeah
[22:02]Quemaqua: oh, fuck
[22:02]Quemaqua: now it's blitz chess

Also, since the sounds for Babas are so UNBELIEVABLY TERRIBLE I made a sound pack you can download.  It's got sounds from CM10 and the playchess.com client (ssshhh).  Get it here.  Unzip to Babas/Data/Sound and select the sounds you like in the program's setup menus.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #42 on: Friday, December 05, 2008, 12:35:02 AM »
I should add that it's basically an interactive IRC. Tons of fun. Who cares how good you are? Honestly, I'm pretty drunk half of the time and Que is absolutely terrible. Half the fun is chatting with everyone. So join up and have fun!

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday, December 17, 2008, 01:23:13 PM »
Sorry, Que. My internet stopped working last night at around 10 and didn't come back on until this morning. I would have called them but last time I did I ended up slamming my head into the wall because the guy on the other end of the line was so stupid.

But I'm game tonight, assuming everything works.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday, December 17, 2008, 01:32:23 PM »
I would have called them but last time I did I ended up slamming my head into the wall because the guy on the other end of the line was so stupid.

So that happens worldwide with ISP tech support eh?

The thing is that a lot of stupid people with self created issues call ISPs, so these tech support guys take 30 minutes to identify that you have a real problem.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday, December 17, 2008, 03:43:03 PM »
The problem wasn't the process, it was the guy himself. I understand the process (even though I hate it). The guy was just an idiot. Plus I had to wait about 45 minutes until I got through.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #46 on: Sunday, November 22, 2009, 08:34:07 PM »
So this seemed like the right place to update with some pics of the new chess set I got.  I know I talked about it somewhere, and mentioned it to a couple people, so thought I'd post the pics I took of it with the new camera.  I've wanted to purchase a really nice chess set for years, and this is what I ended up getting.  It was the best looking thing I could find for the price made of good quality materials with a really heavy weight.  I love the design, and there were even more expensive sets that really didn't do it for me.  This one fit the bill.  It's made of boxwood and red sandalwood, both pieces and board, and the set itself (just the pieces) weighs just over 6 pounds.

These pics are bigger than the boards will allow.  Feel free to view them outside the boards to get a little more detail.  I tried to do closeups of the knights.

It means a lot to me.  Chess was one of the ways my father and I bonded when I was younger, and it holds a special place in my life for many reasons.  I always wanted to have a set that demonstrated that.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #47 on: Monday, November 23, 2009, 08:05:49 PM »
Awesome, I love the detail on the knights. I am incredibly jealous. What kind of wood is that?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #48 on: Monday, November 23, 2009, 09:06:45 PM »
It's made of boxwood and red sandalwood, both pieces and board, and the set itself (just the pieces) weighs just over 6 pounds.

Red sandalwood is also called bud rosewood.  Boxwood isn't anything special, but bud rosewood is my favorite wood for chess sets and boards.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #49 on: Thursday, December 24, 2009, 12:23:27 AM »
I've been playing a little bit again recently and thought... at least a few of us play and like to chat about it now and again, might as well actually have a thread with the occasional interesting tidbit, or a bit of a game, or an interesting position, puzzle, whatever.  Rather than start a new thread, I figured I'd just start throwing more shit into this one.

So I was playing a game today against one of the middle-level AI opponents in Chessmaster: the Art of Learning which I have on PSP.  The game itself is pretty damned average, and a lot of the "learning" features are kind of lame, but it provides a pretty good portable chess game that's functional and consistent.  Chessmaster - Grandmaster Edition for PC, which I also have, is basically just CM10 with a... uh... well, I'd say new coat of paint, but it doesn't really even have that.  They tweaked some stuff and made minor changes, but it's almost entirely the same game as 10, right down to the chess sets they've provided (you can use downloadable fan-made sets frolm 10 as well).  Which is really quite weird.  Though if you have neither one, it's a great thing to have.  Those are both the newest versions of the product, portably and on PC.

Anyway, I was playing a game against this chick, and I had to quit at one point and so saved the game.  You can kind of abuse it because you can turn off the machine and load a saved in-progress match to start over from that position, but it's also kind of nice in the sense that you can save at an interesting position and play out multiple ideas.  Obviously this makes your in-game Elo rating kind of not so accurate, but if you're just experimenting it doesn't matter too much (and who really cares about ratings anyway?).  So I loaded up the position, which I think is a quite strong one in my favor (I'm playing white), and I obviously have a 2 pawn advantage in material.  Should have been a cinch, yet I managed to blunder my way into a stalemate by making a stupid move in the end.  I knew the game should have been mine, so I said screw this... loaded the game back up and tried again, using a similar set of moves.  Somehow she outmaneuvered me and managed to eventually turn the tide until eventually mating me.  Suck.  Tried again... after a pretty damned good rest of the game, I totally blundered at the end and allowed her to get a back row mate with her rook when I failed to realize that she could manage it one move before I could finish my final attack.  I tried one last time and finally managed to win, but it was a bit frustrating because I mostly won due to a couple of blunders on her part where she traded a rook for a bishop and gave me a clear shot at the center (which is weird, because this particular AI almost never trades... the board stays crowded for quite a long time usually).

So here's the position I was playing from:

The moves I really wanted to make were Qf4 or Ra1-e1.  She'd invariably attack the leading bishop with Nc8 or Nf5, and I'd invariably retreat with Ba3.  After that is when it usually started to get interesting.  The E and F columns saw a lot of action, and all 4 bishops played pivotal support roles during the remaining halves of each game.  Quite the exasperating tug-o'-war.  Things usually started to continue in my favor if I could force her to start trading pieces, which was easier when she brought the queen down to f6 and started trying to make trouble.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #50 on: Thursday, December 24, 2009, 03:45:44 AM »
Dude I want to play you. If only you'd come on facebook. You don't have to enter any of your info, or participate in any of the social things.

But we can play a nice game over a month. The problem between us is the time difference. But I wish to play before you continue to improve. :P :P

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #51 on: Thursday, December 24, 2009, 07:12:18 AM »
Haha... well, the chances of me showing up on Facebook are basically zero, bud.  =)  It's not like we really need that, though.  We could always do a play-by-mail game, or even play one on the boards.  There was actually a cool chess plugin for the boards I thought about installing, but I'm too stupid to figure out how to get it working.  Regardless, I wouldn't worry about me improving any time soon.  I don't have nearly enough time to actually make any real progress, so I just sort of stagnate in my little corner of sub-mediocrity.  Maybe when I retire.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #52 on: Friday, December 25, 2009, 08:56:42 PM »
I'm so terrible at endgame stuff.  I can never see a mate, like ever, and even when I do it's usually at the expense of a much better mating combination.  I suck at that so bad.

This game was totally in my favor pretty much the whole way through, even despite an error or two, but while black threw itself into a bunch of really bad positions at the end, as usual I got panicky and started playing it really safe when I wasn't sure I saw it just right.  Drew the game out way, way more than I needed to.

1.e4 c5
2.Nf3 Nc6
3.c3 Nf6
4.d3 Ng4
5.Qc2 a6
6.a4 a5
7.b3 e6
8.Nbd2 d6
9.c4 h6
10.Qc3 f6
11.d4 Nb8
12.d5 e5
13.h3 g6
14.hxg4 h5
15.gxh5 Qb6
16.g3 Qb4
17.Bb2 Be7
18.Bh3 Rxh5
19.g4 Bxg4
20.Bg2 Rxh1+
21.Bxh1 Ra6
22.Qe3 Qb6
23.Qh6 Bxf3
24.Bxf3 Kd7
25.Qxg6 Kd8
26.Bh5 Kc7
27.Qe8 Nd7
28.Qxe7 Qb4
29.Be8 b5
30.Qxd7+ Kb8
31.Qd8+ Ka7
32.Bxb5 Rb6
33.Qd7+ Rb7
34.Qc6 Rb6
35.Qc7+ Rb7
36.Qxd6 Rb6
37.Qe7+ Rb7
38.Qxf6 Rb6
39.Qe7+ Rb7
40.Qxe5 Rf7
41.Qg3 Re7
42.Bc6 Rh7
43.Ke2 Re7
44.Qg6 Rc7
45.Qd6 Qb6
46.e5 Rf7
47.e6 Rc7
48.e7 Rc8
49.Qd7+ Qc7
50.e8=Q Rxe8+
51.Qxe8 Ka6
52.d6 Qh7
53.d7 Qxd7
54.Qxd7 Kb6
55.Bc3 Ka6
56.Bb7+ Kb6
57.Qc6+ Ka7
58.Bc8 Kb8
59.Qb7#

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #53 on: Sunday, April 04, 2010, 11:33:05 PM »
So I've been reviewing games from the pros recently and diagnosing what I can improve upon. There are tons of things, obviously, and probably most things I can't grasp at this point. But some things in particular -

Pawn position early is crucial. If you are playing against someone decent, your first 10-12 moves are always about establishing pawn position. I've made the mistake recently of getting some pawns into position, getting my knights out and then trying to establish something that ended up failing because I didn't get my pawns into position early enough.

Once you know what you are doing, pressure is easy. Once your opponent knows what they are doing, pressure is tough. Ultimately, you can't rush yourself.

Sacrifice if you have the advantage. This is the key. It's all about the +1. Recognize what will happen if you take a piece and the next 6 moves after that. Will you gain position? Or gain a piece advantage?

And, at the very least, know what you plan to do next. And hopefully three or four or five moves later.

Edit: But hopefully Pug interjects, because he is much better than I am.