Author Topic: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2  (Read 36489 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Update: Free weekend on Steam (Reply 279)
« Reply #280 on: Wednesday, April 07, 2010, 06:40:42 PM »
Hmmm...might check it out.  Does it look like it will also be on sale?  I'm really only interested in the SP as the MP seems a bit too Counter-strike like for my tastes...and I can't see it being better than Bad Company 2.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #281 on: Wednesday, April 07, 2010, 08:17:59 PM »
Spec ops is amazing for cooperative play.  Competitive MP is too chaotic to be fun for long periods of time.  For like 30 minutes it can be somewhat entertaining though.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #282 on: Wednesday, April 07, 2010, 08:52:25 PM »
Oh man I'm dying to play some Spec Ops!

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #283 on: Wednesday, April 07, 2010, 11:45:50 PM »
Spec Ops?  Think it's included?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #284 on: Wednesday, April 07, 2010, 11:47:17 PM »
Spec Ops?  Think it's included?
It might be, assuming it's a full access free weekend.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #285 on: Thursday, April 08, 2010, 01:35:34 PM »
It might be, assuming it's a full access free weekend.

The MP portion is what's FREE this weekend.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #286 on: Thursday, April 08, 2010, 01:56:16 PM »
The MP portion is what's FREE this weekend.
Crap, Spec Ops is part of the singleplayer exe.. Even though it is technically multiplayer.

Co-op always gets the shaft.

By the way, I tried uninstalling the singleplayer part of the game and the multiplayer still runs but with a lot of missing textures! haha Lost of black and magenta blocks scattered about :P

EDIT:
MW2 is $50 ($10 off) on Steam.
« Last Edit: Friday, April 09, 2010, 02:26:38 AM by Xessive »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #287 on: Friday, April 09, 2010, 01:58:07 PM »
Crap, Spec Ops is part of the singleplayer exe.. Even though it is technically multiplayer.

Co-op always gets the shaft.

By the way, I tried uninstalling the singleplayer part of the game and the multiplayer still runs but with a lot of missing textures! haha Lost of black and magenta blocks scattered about :P

EDIT:
MW2 is $50 ($10 off) on Steam.

If it was $30 or less, I'd be all over this shiz...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #288 on: Sunday, April 11, 2010, 10:48:32 AM »
Richard Morgan (who is an author and is actually the lead writer for Crysis 2) is taking shots at MW2.

Despite Modern Warfare 2's insanely high sales and near universal acclaim from critics, Crysis 2's writer Richard Morgan thought the game was "an immense disappointment." Speaking with CVG  recently, the sci-fi author bluntly stated, "It was a massive stepdown from CoD4. What I thought when I played it was, 'Jesus guys, what have you been doing? You've not ramped anything up. The story is worse and the game doesn't really hang together, it's just a bunch of mission levels.'"

Naughty Dog's Uncharted 2, on the other hand, Morgan is more than happy to praise. "With Uncharted 2, those guys went back and looked at the first game ... everything that didn't work very well, they fixed or ramped up or did something with." Digging his heel into Infinity Ward's back a bit deeper, he continues, "You can honestly say to people if you played the first game, the second one is the same but better. Modern Warfare 2 is the same but ... way worse," concluding, "And it cost more money." No no, Mr. Morgan, tell us how you really feel!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #289 on: Sunday, April 11, 2010, 02:07:43 PM »
I'm inclined to agree; in terms of story MW2 didn't do great job, well not as great a job as MW1. Bear in mind, of course, that MW1's story was no great thing to begin with. It was more of a device to push the gameplay along.

However, in terms of game mechanics, MW2 is the superior game. Although I do miss that sniper mission.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #291 on: Saturday, May 08, 2010, 08:50:01 AM »
I finished the campaign this morning.  VERY short.  If I had paid full price for the game I might have been a little miffed.  To it's credit though, it was engaging throughout with little to no lulls in action.  There's something to be said for that I guess.  I've got a number of friends who play multiplayer though so I'll probably end up getting a lot of mileage out of that.

I wonder how the next game will pan out with everything that's happened?

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #292 on: Sunday, May 09, 2010, 08:24:33 AM »
So the multiplayer in this game is legit.  This will definitely hold me over until 3d Dot Game Heroes hits, and then some.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #293 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 07:03:21 AM »
Yeah, multiplayer is where the love went in this game.  The campaign was great even though it was very short.  But multiplayer is the reason you buy this game.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #294 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 08:05:39 AM »
I haven't played multiplayer in COD:MW2.  In COD4:MW, I soured on the multiplayer after awhile because the helicopter resulting from a long kill streak was ridiculously annoying.  It would perpetuate itself because the helicopter would help get another long kill streak.

I heard that the kill streak bonuses in COD:MW2 are more annoying than in the first game, so I just didn't even bother with it.  I also don't support the consolization of the multiplayer, but yes I realize that I already paid for the game and me boycotting the multiplayer doesn't actually accomplish anything.

I know it's not possible in COD:MW2 because there isn't a true server application, but I didn't understand how a server admin couldn't disable the kill streak bonuses in COD4:MW.  It seems like something that obviously should be an option to me.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #295 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 08:27:23 AM »
I haven't played multiplayer in COD:MW2.  In COD4:MW, I soured on the multiplayer after awhile because the helicopter resulting from a long kill streak was ridiculously annoying.  It would perpetuate itself because the helicopter would help get another long kill streak.

I heard that the kill streak bonuses in COD:MW2 are more annoying than in the first game, so I just didn't even bother with it.  I also don't support the consolization of the multiplayer, but yes I realize that I already paid for the game and me boycotting the multiplayer doesn't actually accomplish anything.

I know it's not possible in COD:MW2 because there isn't a true server application, but I didn't understand how a server admin couldn't disable the kill streak bonuses in COD4:MW.  It seems like something that obviously should be an option to me.

There's a way to negate or otherwise avoid most all of the kill streak bonuses.  Helicopters and planes can be shot down with RPGs or other heavy ordinance.  The only one that's unavoidable is the tactical nuke at 25 kills.  It effectively ends the game.  The helicopters and planes also automatically go away after a certain amount of time.  They're certainly an annoyance sometimes though, especially when you aren't carrying the equipment to deal with them.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #296 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 01:09:06 PM »
My experience in COD4:MW was thus:  Guy gets a helicopter.  It keeps shooting me.  No one shoots it down.  I die.  I spawn as a guy with a RPG or heavy MG.  The helicopter flies to another part of the map and shoots people there.  I play some and die.  I spawn with a regular assault rifle.  Guy gets a helicopter.  It keeps shooting me...

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #297 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 01:11:05 PM »
lrn2 coldblooded. lol n00b.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #298 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 01:23:50 PM »
My experience in COD4:MW was thus:  Guy gets a helicopter.  It keeps shooting me.  No one shoots it down.  I die.  I spawn as a guy with a RPG or heavy MG.  The helicopter flies to another part of the map and shoots people there.  I play some and die.  I spawn with a regular assault rifle.  Guy gets a helicopter.  It keeps shooting me...

hahah

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #299 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 03:14:38 PM »
Oh my God, that's exactly right! haha Same shit happens to me!

I seem to do alright when I stick to cover and indoor areas.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #300 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 04:08:51 PM »
Which is kind of the point

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #301 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 04:51:38 PM »
Which is kind of the point
Yes, but I meant at all times in the game hehe :P

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #302 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 06:44:33 PM »
Yes, but I meant at all times in the game hehe :P

Right, but I mean when helicopters, harriers, etc are about the best thing to do is stay indoors or under some sort of cover.  Scott's making it sound like killstreak rewards are some unfair advantage.  If you play smart you'll fall victim to them less.

Unless of course they spawn you right where you died and you get capped a second time.  That shit pisses me off.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #303 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 07:10:01 PM »
Right, but I mean when helicopters, harriers, etc are about the best thing to do is stay indoors or under some sort of cover.  Scott's making it sound like killstreak rewards are some unfair advantage.  If you play smart you'll fall victim to them less.

Unless of course they spawn you right where you died and you get capped a second time.  That shit pisses me off.
Yeah, that's pretty annoying. There needs to be some kind of spawn-protection like in most other games.

In Bad Company 2 spawn kills are damn annoying.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #304 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2010, 04:58:03 AM »

The kill streak rewards are stupid because they require no skill to use and usually result in more kill streak bonuses.  That is what pisses me off.  Hell even when I'd get a helicopter and use it I just felt guilty when I'd see it racking up kills and get me another helicopter.

And yes of course I realize about staying under something or inside, but that isn't always possible.

It's just my opinion, but the helicopter kill streak bonus in COD4:MW completely killed the enjoyment for me.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #305 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2010, 06:37:31 AM »
Well I certainly can't dispute how you feel.  If it kills you on it it kills you on it.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Update: Resurgence Pack DLC info (Reply 305)
« Reply #307 on: Thursday, May 13, 2010, 06:33:09 PM »
Well, the Stimulus Package was $15. That's a bit much for a map pack. I'll consider it when it gets to $5 (I won't pay more than $1 per map at most).

EDIT:
Better yet, if I wait I'm sure they'll have another map pack and eventually a comprehensive pack for a low, low price.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Update: Resurgence Pack DLC info (Reply 305)
« Reply #308 on: Friday, May 14, 2010, 07:15:12 AM »
I bought them the other day.  I feel a little chapped, but I justified it since I only paid 30 bucks for the game.

Figure if I ever want to be decent I need to get face time with everything that's out there.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #310 on: Friday, July 16, 2010, 08:38:29 PM »
Direct2Drive has changed its mind.
They now will sell Modern Warfare 2 PC, since it was so heavily demanded by their users to add it - even though MW2 PC requires Steam.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
« Reply #311 on: Friday, July 16, 2010, 08:41:10 PM »
There are people that don't own this game?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
« Reply #312 on: Friday, July 16, 2010, 08:41:35 PM »
There are people that don't own this game?

Yup.
*raises my hand*