Author Topic: Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer  (Read 1020 times)

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer
« on: Saturday, December 06, 2008, 11:13:10 PM »
I was listening to this song to day and realized that it doesn't make any sense. So all the other reindeer hate Rudolph. Fine. But why do they stop hating him just because he gets to pull the sleigh? Shouldn't they be jealous? The only way that this would make them happy is if they hate pulling Santa's fat ass around. In which case Rudolph is just a sucker, a distraction from the fact that the reindeer are not loyal, but are in fact slaves, unwilling to participate in the sleigh-pulling process unless forced to do so.

Discuss.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, December 06, 2008, 11:23:07 PM »
It isn't because he got to pull the sleigh....it's because he saved their entire industry.  Think about it.  What happens if Santa can't deliver?  Torches and pitchforks my friend.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, December 06, 2008, 11:29:32 PM »
Well, you have a good point. But it doesn't dismiss the fact that the other reindeer should be jealous of the fact that he gets to save the day. Think about it. It disillusions our children - the idea that our colleagues will jump for joy when we save the industry as opposed to them breeds naivety.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, December 06, 2008, 11:31:17 PM »
I personally always thought it was a horrible story.  It gives freaks the idea that they're useful and makes them uppity when you try to get them back in the cage.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, December 06, 2008, 11:36:16 PM »
Well, we can all agree on that. Freaks should certainly not be given the all-important job of pulling around Santa. Hell, I question their ability to make toys.

Another thought: The reindeer get paid no matter what. They are happy that Rudolph does their job for them. It's analogous to the entire culture of capitalism.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, December 11, 2008, 03:59:50 PM »
i had to be rudolph in a school play when i was 7.

Taken.