Author Topic: Games to get warning labels like cigarettes?  (Read 2732 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Games to get warning labels like cigarettes?
« on: Monday, January 12, 2009, 12:14:36 PM »
WARNING: Politics may make you stupid.

Last week Rep. Joe Baca (D) introduced H.R. 231, a bill which would require that warning labels be placed on any game rated T (13 and older) or higher by the ESRB. Baca's bill is titled "The Video Game Health Labeling Act of 2009."

[The bill]  creates a new rule within the Consumer Product Safety Commission, which forces games with a Teen rating or higher to be sold with a simple warning label, reading: "WARNING: Excessive exposure to violent video games and other violent media has been linked to aggressive behavior."

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
Re: Games to get warning labels like cigarettes?
« Reply #1 on: Monday, January 12, 2009, 12:29:51 PM »
I'm not against it, but putting warning labels on products is a very slippery slope.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #2 on: Monday, January 12, 2009, 12:39:15 PM »
That's beyond retarded.

Do movies and books get these labels too?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Monday, January 12, 2009, 01:50:01 PM »
I also like how video games have never actually been linked to aggressive behavior, which makes it a lie.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #4 on: Monday, January 12, 2009, 02:22:52 PM »
Actually a number of legit studies have shown a link.  I should know, I spent hours reading through the longwinded bastards when I was doing my graduate thesis

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Monday, January 12, 2009, 02:53:12 PM »
Most of the links were vague at best, that I ever saw, and generally referred to the fact that games sometimes got your blood going, which could in some theoretical fashion make you more apt to do something physical in response to something (temporarily).  Sort of just like if you play Tennis or go jogging or have sex.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #6 on: Monday, January 12, 2009, 03:03:45 PM »
WARNING: Politics may make you stupid.

What about games with excessive amounts of sexual content a la Witcher?
Do those get a special label, too?  :o

What about games with excessive amounts of swearing?
Do those get a special label, too?  :o

I thought the point of the ESRB was to warn people about the content in the game, which it does -- do we really need another redundant label on the game box?  :o

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #7 on: Monday, January 12, 2009, 03:47:00 PM »
This is stupid. Lots of things lead to aggressive behavior. Should we place a warning label on them all? I get mad as hell while driving sometimes. It's called road rage. Where's my informative label warning me against this? Maybe Rep. Joe Baca should place a warning label on his legislation, because I'm a little pissed after reading it.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #8 on: Monday, January 12, 2009, 03:51:26 PM »
This is stupid. Lots of things lead to aggressive behavior. Should we place a warning label on them all? I get mad as hell while driving sometimes. It's called road rage. Where's my informative label warning me against this? Maybe Rep. Joe Baca should place a warning label on his legislation, because I'm a little pissed after reading it.

Thus the whole slippery slope comment on my behalf.  If we start labeling everything that has potential danger then we're basically going to have to label every product in existence.  Even celery.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #9 on: Monday, January 12, 2009, 03:54:40 PM »
Yeah but celery is dangerous. I heard once that Pyro killed like 15 guys with a single stalk of celery.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: Monday, January 12, 2009, 03:59:42 PM »
I'm all for warnings about the type of content that a game has in it, but lying about what violent games make you do is a bit overboard. Hell, I'd even support stricter monitoring of purschases, so long as it's not some extreme inconvenience to the regular joe who's old enough to buy whatever.

The only link I can agree to between violence and video games (other than anger via frustration), is that violent people are probably more inclined to play violent games.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Monday, January 12, 2009, 04:24:53 PM »
If it would spell the end of the bullshit politics, I'd say go ahead and do it.  I can ignore a needless label as well as anyone.  But you know that it's not going to end there.  After they get their way with that, they'll go on to tack on further restrictions, just like with cigarettes.  So I say fight them every step of the way, so it takes them longer to get to the next step (even though this one is no big deal at all).

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #12 on: Monday, January 12, 2009, 04:35:02 PM »
I'm with Cobra on this. We give them this, then what's next?

My opinion on the subject hasn't changed; I still believe it's up to the parents to be responsible for what their children's interests are.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #13 on: Monday, January 12, 2009, 05:14:54 PM »
My opinion on the subject hasn't changed; I still believe it's up to the parents to be responsible for what their children's interests are.

Ultimately this is what pisses me off the most.  I mean I can appreciate their sentiment and everything, but ultimately the government should stop trying to play mommy and daddy and leave that responsibility to the parents.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #14 on: Monday, January 12, 2009, 05:26:02 PM »
Anyone see that news story about the 6 year old that drove himself to school? The kid said he learned by playing GTA. They ignore the fact that A) why the hell are the parents letting a 6 year old play that, and B) the kid wasn't a degenerate. He was 6 and REALLY wanted to go to school. After he crashed the car he got out and started walking there. Where were the parents all that time?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #15 on: Monday, January 12, 2009, 07:10:48 PM »
Actually a number of legit studies have shown a link.  I should know, I spent hours reading through the longwinded bastards when I was doing my graduate thesis
You can prove almost anything with a study.  I remember reading a study that showed there was no link between stretching and injury.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #16 on: Monday, January 12, 2009, 07:16:22 PM »
You can prove almost anything with a study.  I remember reading a study that showed there was no link between stretching and injury.

Not quite.  You can only really bend so far by manipulating statistics.  Beyond that, it's either there or it isn't.

You also have to take into account that not all studies are good studies.  Once you're around them a bit you can pretty easily separate the wheat from the chaff.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: Monday, January 12, 2009, 07:58:32 PM »
Statistics prove nothing.  They show correlations.  Some correlate things that are obviously unrelated, like sales of ice cream and violent crime.  It doesn't take a genius there to bring in heat as the missing variable.  But other correlations are equally meaningless, without it being so obvious.  More is needed beyond such numbers for proof.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #18 on: Monday, January 12, 2009, 08:01:44 PM »
You also have to take into account that not all studies are good studies.  Once you're around them a bit you can pretty easily separate the wheat from the chaff.

QFT

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, January 13, 2009, 02:37:11 AM »
I'll tell you one thing. These warning labels might actually be a useful marketing tool for game companies.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, January 13, 2009, 03:52:54 AM »
I'll tell you one thing. These warning labels might actually be a useful marketing tool for game companies.
HAha I can totally see that in play! "Sex AND violence! Gimme gimme gimme!!"

It's like one of hose Tijuana shows, the nastier the advertising the more you wanna see it.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, January 13, 2009, 08:54:00 AM by Xessive »

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, January 13, 2009, 07:46:50 AM »
Statistics prove nothing.  They show correlations.  Some correlate things that are obviously unrelated, like sales of ice cream and violent crime.  It doesn't take a genius there to bring in heat as the missing variable.  But other correlations are equally meaningless, without it being so obvious.  More is needed beyond such numbers for proof.

I never suggested that studies prove anything.  In fact that's one of the first things you learn (generally the hard way) as a researcher.  You're absolutely right about more being needed beyond numbers.  That's sort of why studies exist, to help justify further research (and funding dollars). 

The media doesn't care though, and will latch on to any potential headline-grabbing study on whatever the hot topic is at any given time, regardless of the quality of the study.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, January 14, 2009, 12:17:16 AM »

That one still sort of goes back and forth a bit.  Like butter and margarine to a lesser scale..