Author Topic: Hola from Windows 7  (Read 8259 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Hola from Windows 7
« Reply #40 on: Saturday, October 03, 2009, 01:16:19 PM »
So, I need to do a backup and reformat sometime in the near future and figured I might as well get onboard with Windows 7 when it comes out.  What's the opinion months later?  Still a good upgrade over XP?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #41 on: Sunday, October 04, 2009, 11:21:46 AM »
Hola mis amigos!

I've just set up Win7 and so far so good. The first thing that impresed was how easily it set itself up. Sound, video, network, everything was working right off the bat. It ran basic drivers for video and audio until I installed the specific Realtek HD and Nvidia drivers myself.

It's definitely ahead of Vista in every way and my overall system performance is better. It seems like the next logical step from XP.

Will follow up with game performance once I've set up some games.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, October 06, 2009, 10:06:39 AM »
Ok, ever since I set up Win7 x64 I've been exploring the world of 64bit development. One thing that kind bugs me is that some great applications do not have 64bit versions, for example Firefox.

The good news is the community has taken up the challenge and built a 64bit version of Firefox (currently codenamed Shiretoko, formerly known as Minefield). So far it looks like a good effort, its installation is seamless.

www.start64.com has been my main hub for info and updates on 64bit apps.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, October 06, 2009, 12:39:41 PM »
What happens if you run the normal 32-bit Firefox?  Much slower?  Incompatible?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, October 06, 2009, 02:49:19 PM »
What happens if you run the normal 32-bit Firefox?  Much slower?  Incompatible?
No, it seems to run fine although I did notice it hitch a lot more. Loading times seemed to be a little longer, especially when launching it.

Overall Microsoft seem to have done a great job with 32bit applications running in a 64bit environment. A lot of the base Windows applications are still 32bit anyway i.e. Windows Media Player.

The only real advantage, as I understand it, is having an application run in its native environment will (theoretically) yield greater performance.

The team developing the unofficial x64 Firefox binary have posted these performance results.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday, October 06, 2009, 04:19:50 PM »
So, if I'm looking at getting a new O/S would there really be any reason to stick to 32-bit these days?  I mean, most modern hardware must have 64 bit support by now, right?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, October 06, 2009, 04:26:14 PM »
Yea it looks like 64-bit will be the 80% majority with Win7.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday, October 06, 2009, 05:00:01 PM »
That's what I was asking myself at the beginning of the installation. After some reading on the topic I figured what the heck, let's give it a go. As long as it can run my apps and my games no problem.

One thing I did notice is on the Windows Experience Index my processor is now scoring a 6.2, in contrast with Vista 32bit where it scored 5.5. My "Gaming Graphics" score has also gone up to 6.7, as opposed to 5.9 as it was on Vista.

My Total Index score is still 5.3 though, since that's the score my primary hard disk got for data transfer rate. Is that low for a SATA drive?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday, October 07, 2009, 10:25:18 PM »
So, how much RAM should I have if I want to game on Windows 7 64-bit?  I'm currently running 2GB (previously four until one of the sticks in my other dual channel kit crapped out on me).  I could boost it to six by adding the remaining working stick (if you can do that in DC mode...have two sticks running in DC, one in one of the other slots), or I COULD buy more if I needed to, but I'd rather avoid it. To be fair I'm also running a 9600GT and have no desire to upgrade my card just yet (I think I'd need a new PSU as well), so I'm not talking about power gaming...I just want things to run as smooth as they would on XP both in game and just in the OS.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday, October 07, 2009, 10:57:07 PM »
I've been running on 2GB RAM for a while now. Honestly, my only drive to get more RAM is out of desire rather than a genuine need for it.

My specs are:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz
2GB DDR2 800MHz RAM
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB
Asus P5W DH Deluxe Motherboard

It's a 2½ year old system but it still seems to run practically anything I put on it spanning medium to high settings. Just to give you an idea, Crysis running optimally (40+ fps) I had to go with medium settings.

For me, the benchmark is 30 fps; anything below that is where it starts to get noticeable.

In terms of gaming, I have noticed some performance improvement in Windows 7 when compared to Vista. It's a very slight improvement though.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday, October 07, 2009, 10:59:37 PM »
Thanks, it's just about the same system then.  Only difference being MOBO and GPU. To be honest I'll probably upgrade to 4GB (again) anyways or in the near future.  So, now for a bit of a more complicated question, would I get better performance out of 6 GB RAM in single channel or 4 GB in dual channel?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday, October 07, 2009, 11:05:11 PM »
Where the heck is Scott?!

I could just look it up online but seeking Scott's wealth of knowledge is just so much more exciting.. and easier.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday, October 07, 2009, 11:24:38 PM »
I looked it up and kind of got some conflicting answers.  Not a big deal I guess.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: Saturday, October 10, 2009, 11:57:10 PM »
I took the plunge and installed a "trial version" untill I can get one with an educational discount through school.  So far I'm impressed although I JUST put it on so I haven't messed around much. My total Experience score or whatever is 5.5, the RAM being the low point (not sure if size or speed is the issue).  So, anything anyone can reccomend to add on? I'm running Ultimate x64. 

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #54 on: Sunday, October 11, 2009, 05:27:18 AM »
Awesome!

I recommend using CCleaner for cleaning up the registry and managing start-up items. It's a decent little free tweak utility. I'm still waiting for TuneUp Utilities 2010 which will support Windows 7.

For virtual drives Daemon Tools seems to have issues with Win7 (and x64 in general). A great alternative (with a bundle of additional features) is Gizmo Drive.

For disc burning in general I use iTunes/Winamp for audio/mp3 CDs and ImgBurn for everything else. ImgBurn is, so far, the best minimalistic disc image utility I've come across, it's not bloatware like Nero and Roxio.

I'll list any more useful apps I come across.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: Sunday, October 11, 2009, 12:24:07 PM »
Awesome, thanks.

Only issue I've hit so far is a problem setting up a network printer. It won't take at all.  I can see it in my network and I can install it, the thing just won't connect.  This is isolated to my Win 7 machine.  I've even gone as far as trying to trick it into thinking it's a local printer...but that's not working out either.  It seems to be a common issue and a combination of poor driver support (although I am using Win7 x86 drivers) and some bug in the OS.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #56 on: Sunday, October 11, 2009, 12:48:44 PM »
I was having some trouble with the networking (printer and other computers in my home) until I disabled "password prootected sharing" from the "Advanced sharing settings" in the "Network and Sharing Center."

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: Sunday, October 11, 2009, 02:29:28 PM »
Hmmmm...you know, you'd think a message box would tip you off to something like that.  I'll try it later, but I don't think that's my problem since everything I'm trying to send from this computer is going out.  The PC that has the printer attached is running XP and my vista laptop also has no problem at all connecting to it or printing. I'm also unable to install the print driver I use to upload projects and huge documents directly to an office print shop here, but that's really more of a thing with their software and will probably be fixed soon.

I guess this is the price of early adopting.  The good news is that Gamecube emulation is pretty much at fullspeed.  The bad news is I forgot to realize that all my games installed on my separate hard drive are going to have to be reinstalled to get the reg entries and such going....oh well.  I'm totally happy either way.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #58 on: Sunday, October 11, 2009, 02:32:32 PM »
Network problems are kind of a bitch in Windows. I think in Win7 it's just a matter of getting used to it and a matter of time till they resolve any of the bugs.

I did the same thing. I think I forgot to properly uninstall Mass Effect which means it didn't revoke a token or something. Mosty of my games ran normally anyway by just launching the exe.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #59 on: Sunday, October 11, 2009, 10:12:02 PM »
Mosty of my games ran normally anyway by just launching the exe.

Really? That's good news. I guess I'd still rather do a reinstall.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #60 on: Monday, October 12, 2009, 03:47:15 PM »
Just testing out the awesome new "snipping" tool

Works really well and I could see it being pretty useful. I was also testing out Gamecube emulation at the same time.  Runs great in 64bit.  That's Twilight Princess running full speed.  I think I might actually try to play through the entire game on my PC.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday, October 13, 2009, 03:47:29 PM »
Snipping tool was actually new to vista

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 01:57:08 PM »
Really?  I just looked on my laptop and can't find it.  What's it under?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: Thursday, October 15, 2009, 01:52:18 AM »
Also, can't log into steam.  I'm assuming this is a Valve problem though.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #64 on: Thursday, October 15, 2009, 02:57:31 AM »

you need to enable it in optional components - something to do with tablet pc's.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #65 on: Thursday, October 15, 2009, 07:21:24 AM »
Also, can't log into steam.  I'm assuming this is a Valve problem though.
Double-check your Windows Firewall settings and make sure it has a Steam exception. If it's there then it's likely a Valve issue.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #66 on: Thursday, October 15, 2009, 02:06:46 PM »

I don't remember, I've been using 7 for a while now. I think it was under accessories, it should come up with start search.

Just did a google search for vista snipping tool and it's definitely on there.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: Thursday, October 15, 2009, 11:04:04 PM »
Okay, the Steam issue stems from how it can't run in DMZ mode (what the fuck?), which I guess I went into a while ago so something else could clear my router's firewall and I forgot to change in back.  As for the snipping tool on Vista, awesome....totally going to enable it on my laptop.

I also upgraded my RAM and am absolutely amazed at how fast SOME programs launch.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #68 on: Thursday, October 22, 2009, 11:17:09 AM »
Microsoft has released the final version of Windows XP Mode for Windows 7.
Windows XP Mode is a virtual Windows XP environment which can only be run under Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise editions, allowing older applications designed for XP to be used in Windows 7 without any compatibility issues.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: Thursday, October 22, 2009, 12:54:51 PM »
If that virtualization works as it should, I want it.  A virtual machine is the perfect way to test out something you're not sure is malicious or otherwise harmful to the system.

I found this CNN story informative.  I didn't know about the open consulting with PC makers.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #70 on: Thursday, October 22, 2009, 03:48:41 PM »
Good story, Cobra. I'm really happy with the change Microsoft has made in its practice, which are evident in the way Win 7 operates. It really feels like they've finally opened their ears. As the article says, if it weren't for the failure of Vista Microsoft would have likely stuck to their old habit: "just develop windows in secret and then throw it over the wall."

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: Thursday, October 22, 2009, 10:54:04 PM »
Interesting.  I wonder if i could interface with my shared printer in XP mode.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday, October 28, 2009, 04:10:25 PM »
Well, I've stumbled on my first "problem" with 64bit browsers. It's in quotes because it's not a serious issue, easily worked around by reverting to 32bit. The issue is of course that while the browser itself is a 64bit application the add-ons/plug-ins may not necessarily be so; the primary example being Flash. 64bit browsers cannot play any Flash content, quite likely any similar plug-ins and web implemetations including ActiveX for IE.

It's actually amazing it took me this long to notice. I've been using the regular 32bit Firefox way more often.

Adobe seem to have had some issues with 64bit and the Creative Suites in the past. As of the Creative Suite 4 package only Photoshop CS4 has a 64bit edition. According to Adobe, however, the future will entail full 64bit counterparts to all of their applications.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: Thursday, October 29, 2009, 11:04:44 AM »
Yeah, I've just been using Firefox 32-bit.  Actually, I've pretty much been using 32-bit versions of everything for the most part.