Author Topic: Watchmen in further turmoil  (Read 4014 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Watchmen in further turmoil
« on: Sunday, December 28, 2008, 01:26:05 AM »
http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2008/12/judge-in-watchm.html?cnn=yes

Let's hope FOX don't end up distributing this, otherwise they will try to chop the film into little bits. Hopefully they end up with some sort of profit sharing deal.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Watchmen in further turmoil
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, December 28, 2008, 07:59:14 AM »
I'm looking forward to this one.  I really don't care who makes the big bucks as long as it doesn't get delayed or hacked.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, December 28, 2008, 08:21:23 AM »
I heard there were going to be 2 versions of the movie released. The regular Theatrical cut that clocks in at 2 hours and 15 minutes, and a Directors cut that hits just over 4 hours.

But now all this shit is happening. Here is what pisses me off. Fox bought the rights to the movie like 20 years ago, and then they sat on it. Then Warner Bros. for whatever reason decides they want to do it, and they go ahead and do it. Which I'd rather have WB do it anyway, because all Fox makes is steaming piles of shit. Anyway, the movie went into pre-production like 2 years ago. Fox knew that, and they didn't do anything. Instead they just let them do it. Then at the last minute--"hey, we own the rights to that. we're suing you now". Which I guess is a smart business move, but also a total dick move. They let Warner brothers dump all that cash and everything into it, and then they come out and are like "Hey thats my movie, gimme it back" without doing any of the real work.

Eff you in the Bee, FOX.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, January 04, 2009, 04:24:08 AM »
But as EW subsequently reported, Fox’s lawyers did contact Warner Bros. prior to Watchmen's production with the goal of resolving the matter and allowing Warner Bros. to roll film with a clear conscience -- albeit one purchased, no doubt, at great expense.

Realistically, Warner Bros. probably thought that they had a much stronger case then they did.   Something got fucked up here because it should be pretty easy to check who the actual rights holder is with something like this.  We don't have much to go off of but chances are that Fox offered to have the rights bought out at a very high price, which is something you'd be stupid not to do once you've seen that another company has already greenlighted a project that you technically own the rights to.  Warner Bros. probably figured they could cut the price down dramatically through negotiations, but for whatever reason fucked up in that they kept the project going which is basically saying "we no longer have a reasonable walk away point, push for a very large sum of money".  I'm sure they had good reason for doing so, and chances are they were very misled by either the actual producer who had the original agreement with fox or the original rights holder.   Negotiations fell apart because of this, and as the project rolls on and on neither is really motivated into moving on their price; Fox knows their contract and knows that that the further committed WB gets into the project the more likely they'll have to move in hopes of it ever seeing the light of day.  At the same time, WB thinks they've got the rights mostly wrapped up and having the thing in the can is just the icing on the cake should this go to litigation.  It's also possible that they saw what was going down and originally figured that the thing would be pulling in money by the time the court case hit so they could recoup the loss and make a payment out of it - more of a cashflow dillema for them than a profit issue.

The thing to keep in mind is that just because it wasn't in the news that Fox and Warner Bros were in discussions over this that doesn't mean it didn't happen. It's kind of in both parties best interest to keep that on the down-low for as long as they can and make an announcement when an agreement has been made.  Either way, it's amazing that WB would go ahead and start production without having that shit locked down.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, January 04, 2009, 05:31:41 AM »
While WB makes better movies than FOX, that are more in touch with their source material (not counting Batman and Robin), it doesn't take away from the fact that they were idiots for doing this movie fully knowing they didn't have the rights. Another article I read later shows that FOX twice contacted WB during production and got ignored.

But yea, don't worry guys, this movie will get released, and probably within the year. In the end, both parties want this to come out. It is just up the courts to decide who gets how much money.

I think WB was pretty ready to give FOX some money after the movie was done, but both parties just couldn't decide what was the valid amount. From what I read, it seemed as if they just wanted the judge to decide on an amount, as they were exhausted from negotiating and wanted to move on.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, January 04, 2009, 07:30:11 AM »
It really is all about money.  Nobody gets any if the picture gets shelved.  Therefore, that will never happen.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, January 04, 2009, 07:50:18 AM »
Exactly. It is just a question of when.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, January 04, 2009, 01:36:28 PM »
I heard there were going to be 2 versions of the movie released. The regular Theatrical cut that clocks in at 2 hours and 15 minutes, and a Directors cut that hits just over 4 hours.
4 hours??!?!!?
Jesus, that sounds more fit for like a mini-series than anything else!

That or say they split the flick in half and make two movies out of it all.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, January 04, 2009, 07:13:46 PM »
4 hours??!?!!?
Jesus, that sounds more fit for like a mini-series than anything else!

That or say they split the flick in half and make two movies out of it all.

FUCK THAT.

fox would love to do that. two films = more profit.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, January 04, 2009, 08:44:57 PM »
4 hours seems a bit excessive.  I mean, I think I read through the entire book in less time than that.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, January 04, 2009, 10:21:06 PM »
lol gpw

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, January 17, 2009, 06:02:33 AM »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, January 17, 2009, 01:54:18 PM »
No surprise, but a relief nevertheless.  Good news.  Thanks.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, January 22, 2009, 08:35:11 AM »
It'll be interesting to see what the fan reaction to this is once it's actually out.  Comic book nerds must be the hardest group of people to satisfy, and this is like their bible.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, January 22, 2009, 09:05:13 AM »
Comic book nerds must be the hardest group of people to satisfy, and this is like their bible.

I wanted to prove you wrong, but I came up with nothing.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Friday, January 23, 2009, 06:25:02 PM »
Derailing this thread for a second:

I read somewhere that they're killing Batman.  Fair enough, but why fucking bother?  It's not like he's not going to come back.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #16 on: Friday, January 23, 2009, 10:56:47 PM »
I think they already did. He got shot by a guy who claims to be his own father.