Author Topic: Boy, 7, shot in head for alleged trespassing; dies  (Read 2270 times)

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
Boy, 7, shot in head for alleged trespassing; dies
« on: Sunday, May 10, 2009, 03:27:29 PM »
Donald Coffey Jr. died Saturday morning at a Houston hospital, less than two days after the boy was struck in the head by shotgun pellets, Sheriff's Cpl. Hugh Bishop said.

The boy, his 5-year-old sister, their father and a family friend were off-roading near a residential area about 40 miles northeast of Houston when they were shot after stopping so the children could go to the bathroom.

Authorities said the couple fired after they mistakenly thought the group was trespassing on their property.

DeFoor said Sheila Muhs then called 911 and told the dispatcher: "They're out here tearing up the levee, so I shot them."

DeFoor said the levee belonged to the subdivision and was not private property.

Bishop said there was no indication the unarmed victims did anything threatening toward the Muhs.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30650051/

DeFoor told The Enterprise Friday that witnesses said the group was not on the dikes, that instead, they were stopped by the side of the road.

"It wasn't their (the Muhs) property," DeFoor said. "State statute says legally you can shoot a trespasser at night on your property, but not on the road, and that's where they were."
http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/local/boy_shot_in_liberty_county_died_05-08-2009.html

Authorities are considering upgrading the charge to murder or capital murder, Bishop said.

The boy, struck in the face, was among eight people, including four children, who had been on the river outing. Four people, including another child, were shot.

The boy’s 5-year-old sister, Destiny, and their father, Donald Coffey Sr., 36, were hit but have been treated by doctors and released.

The fourth shooting victim is family friend Patrick Cammack, 30, whose condition has improved since surgery. Doctors had to leave a bullet in his head, said his wife, Cindy Nelton, who was also there that night.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6414373.html

Quote from: Free Republic forum posters
Where they trespassing or not? the article doesn’t really say, nor does it give a reason of what provoked the concern of trespassing.

5 posted on 05/09/2009 11:29:03 AM PDT by Dacula

Loud neighbors destroying public property are shot.

Sure, the shooter needs to go to jail for a long time. And people shouldn't take the law into their own hands.

But this incident may have been avoided if the police and the government were there to do their jobs: administer and protect the commons.

They're too busy with other things, though.

18 posted on May-09-09 12:49:38 PM by mc6809e

Facts here are skimpy; I would like to know more. First off let me say I do not believe children who trespass should be shot, but this article is thin on details.

For example, have off-roaders, these in particular, been through there before and stolen anything in the past, or committed vandalism, run down and killed livestock, etc. There isn’t much being stated in this article. Nowadays so many children accompany their parents on crime sprees, I’ve become cynical.

10 posted on May-09-09 3:31:05 PM by SatinDoll (NO Foreign Nationals as our President!!)

I guess my point is that i have someone trespassing on my yard...doing damage on a regular basis,,,

if I can’t fix it right away, I am going to do what I need to do to protect my family, house , property.... etc.

I have those neighbors and it ain’t pretty.

34 posted on May-09-09 3:17:38 PM by Dacula

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
Re: Boy, 7, shot in head for alleged trespassing; dies
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, May 10, 2009, 03:28:53 PM »
Most fucked-up thing:

The shooting would have been legal, had this actually been a case of trespassing.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, May 10, 2009, 03:47:51 PM »
I realize that you're probably making this post more to make a point about ideology, and not as much about the story itself, so I won't bother commenting on the story, which is plainly a tragedy perpetrated by some seriously addled people.  Which has very little to do with what rights people should and shouldn't have, because no set of rules can ever give people freedom and safety yet still cover the worthless fucking nutjob contingency.

However, my overall philosophy leans in the other direction from this.  At least sort of.  The two don't entirely correlate because this situation is somewhat different, but I think the principle of other people who are forced to put up with the bullshit of others in their community is too often overlooked.  This country is far too lenient with citizens who think they own the planet and have no respect or concern for anyone other than their own immediate circles.  This is a gigantic problem amongst several specific ethnic communities which made it impossible for me to live happily where I lived before, which is why I moved.  Much of what the people who still live there, regardless of ethnicity, are continuously forced to endure should be illegal but isn't, and even the points which are illegal aren't enforced.  I know because I tried to get them enforced and failed.

Though it's funny, because my initial sentence about citizens lacking respect for others could just as easily apply to these worthless scumbags who shot the kid.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, May 10, 2009, 04:05:53 PM »
I have nothing to say except this whole thing makes me so very sad. I can't imagine the grief this family is going through.

Liberty County Chief Deputy Ken DeFoor said Sheila Muhs fired a 12-gauge shotgun once, then handed it to her husband, who also fired once.

Motherfuckers.

I believe I've said in the thread about the soldiers that killed an Iraqi family, that people will do absolutely anything, once they think they can get away with it.

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, May 10, 2009, 05:15:49 PM »
Neither trespassing nor property damage is enough to justify murder. This is not a difficult concept.

And for the record, I really fucking hate off-roaders. Unless you take thorough and effective precautions to go off-roading in an unpopulated area where you will not cause serious damage to the environment OR run over small animals and pets, off-roading automatically makes you a complete fucking shitbag.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, May 10, 2009, 06:28:51 PM »
Stay off peoples land and you don't get shot. Pretty simple concept.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, May 10, 2009, 06:56:07 PM »
They are both very simple concepts.  The (possibly) trespassing family paid a heavy price.  Now the murderers need to pay theirs.

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, May 10, 2009, 07:02:25 PM »
Stay off peoples land and you don't get shot. Pretty simple concept.
Also, don't go on the road near their houses, in case they're retarded and think the public road is their private property (as in this case).

And don't walk up to their front doors for any reason, not even just to knock. You might get shot dead for that, too, even if you're just a 12-year-old trick-or-treater.

In fact, just stay the fuck away from people. They might flip out and murder you at any time, for any reason.

They are both very simple concepts.  The (possibly) trespassing family paid a heavy price.  Now the murderers need to pay theirs.
They weren't trespassing. They were on an adjacent public road.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, May 10, 2009, 07:05:54 PM »
Also, don't go on the road near their houses, in case they're retarded and think the public road is their private property (as in this case).

And don't walk up to their front doors for any reason, not even just to knock. You might get shot dead for that, too, even if you're just a 12-year-old trick-or-treater.

In fact, just stay the fuck away from people. They might flip out and murder you at any time, for any reason.
They weren't trespassing. They were on an adjacent public road.

Uhh yeah..i know you are being sarcastic and all but i would take this advice SERIOUSLY in any southern state (the 2 stories you linked are from Texas and South Carolina)

Seriously.

Rednecks are crazy.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, May 10, 2009, 07:09:08 PM »
Yeah, I've noticed. There are lots of violent retards out there that want to murder people and that think trespassing is a valid justification for it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, May 10, 2009, 08:47:45 PM »
Guess what, they live in cities too.  Ever been to Oakland?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, May 10, 2009, 09:43:16 PM »
Uhh yeah..i know you are being sarcastic and all but i would take this advice SERIOUSLY in any southern state (the 2 stories you linked are from Texas and South Carolina)

Seriously.

Rednecks are crazy.

I bet they get more imaginary points for shooting Asians and Middle Easterners.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, May 10, 2009, 10:58:21 PM »
Some people are just straight up fucked up.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: Monday, May 11, 2009, 07:47:57 AM »
I've never understood why people are so anal about their property. Unless they're messing shit up...I don't see the big deal.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #14 on: Monday, May 11, 2009, 10:46:55 AM »
Where did you get a picture of my house?

Damn straight though.  People better stay away.  I don't want them ruining my grass.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #15 on: Monday, May 11, 2009, 01:00:49 PM »
I've never understood why people are so anal about their property. Unless they're messing shit up...I don't see the big deal.
I know! I mean it's like they're living under a constant threat of hostile invasion or something!

Out in the countrysid of Lebanon property is acknowledged and valued, it's customary to ask permission before treading on someone's land but it's not a death sentence if you just wander on to it!

These are just poeple with itchy trigger fingers and want any excuse to get the satisfaction of firing off their boomsticks.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #16 on: Monday, May 11, 2009, 04:52:51 PM »
I don't agree with people just blasting away at anyone who wanders by, but people have every fucking right to be as anal as they want about their property.  And as I mentioned before, I think a huge problem in our society is people who don't respect that and don't respect how their own actions infringe on the lives of others.  A huge fucking problem.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2009, 12:07:29 AM »
I don't agree with people just blasting away at anyone who wanders by, but people have every fucking right to be as anal as they want about their property.  And as I mentioned before, I think a huge problem in our society is people who don't respect that and don't respect how their own actions infringe on the lives of others.  A huge fucking problem.
Exactly. People seem to misinterpret the meaning of freedom. You do what you please so long as you don't stomp on anyone else's rights.

I'm just bugged that these peoples' first reaction was gung-ho! Where the heck do they think they're living?! A frickin' war zone?! Even in a warzone the first thing you do is determine your target! You don't waste ammo!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2009, 12:58:08 AM »
Just rednecks itching to use some ammo... that's all.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2009, 07:21:49 PM »
Where did you get a picture of my house?

Damn straight though.  People better stay away.  I don't want them ruining my grass.

Ahahaha.  That is comedy gold right there.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, May 13, 2009, 03:23:50 AM »
Just looked at their pictures again. Don't they look like NPCs out of Fallout 3?