Author Topic: coming back - rogue tips?  (Read 2266 times)

Offline beo

• Veteran
coming back - rogue tips?
« on: Monday, June 01, 2009, 05:04:30 AM »
haven't played in a couple of years and thought i'd give it another go. i've got a level 30 rogue, but don't really know what i'm doing anymore. since it's been such a loing time my skills have all reset and i'm not sure what i should put my points into - any suggestions?

Offline PyroMenace

Re: coming back - rogue tips?
« Reply #1 on: Monday, June 01, 2009, 06:05:44 AM »
Im sure W7RE can help you better than I can. But this is my spec: 51/13/7 Mutilate build. Its a good build for PvE, I actually recommend you go combat talent spec for leveling, its just easier with talents like Blade Furry and Killing Spree that let you hit take more than one mob much easier. However I think when it comes to leveling especially if your new, anything goes, just experiment and try out different talents, learn your class. Then once you get high level, check out the official WoW rogue forums or the WoWhead rogue forums which is where I go for info on anything.

Whats the server your playing on?

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Monday, June 01, 2009, 07:32:44 AM »
i'm playing on Kul Tiras, it's a European server. i've tried playing with my rogue a bit, but it's all so foreign now. started again with a druid to see what that's like. doubt i'll stick it out anyway, just had a 10 day free pass and some time to kill.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #3 on: Monday, June 01, 2009, 10:59:00 AM »
After such a long time you're probably in better shape to restart a character from scratch.  The game, and each class, has changed quite a bit over the last while.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Monday, June 01, 2009, 11:26:36 AM »
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#f0eb0xZMgVo0cxqru0xRtx
There's a PvE combat build. Sinister Strike, Eviscerate, and you're good. For instances and especially bosses, keep Slice and Dice going and rupture if it's a boss. I'd level with this build until you can do Mutilate. Go down the combat tree first, then subtlety, then assasination. Grabbing Malice from assassination earlier can work too.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#fhecoxMoiroGzZ0xZebdbhMdb
Here's a PvP Mutilate build. I'd start with this build at level 52 (or at 50, but your mutilates will suffer a little without opportunity from the subtlety tree), then work toward the level 80 PvP mutilate build I linked.

I've leveled 2 different rogues recently (yea, I hate rerolling to join friends), and this is how I did it. Mutilate no longer requires you to be behind the target, making it much easier to level with. If you open with cheapshot and throw in a kidney shot, a lot of mobs die without you taking a single hit, meaning no downtime while leveling. Once you hit 80, those 2 builds I linked are the cookie cutter PvE (combat) and PvP (mutilate) builds for rogues right now (thought some people like to go mutilate 51/13/7 for PvE).

For stats, go for agility and attack power first, though chance to hit can help a lot while leveling since you'll be low on hit rating unless you're combat (5% hit from talents). I use Jame's horde/alliance leveling guides when leveling to make things faster. It's all questing, so you never have to stop and grind to catch up to the levels of the quests you have available to you. (I haven't tried the addon versions yet, just the html based ones. I've used the horde guides all the way from level 1 to Grizzly Hills, and all the alliance ones except 1-60)

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: Monday, June 01, 2009, 12:40:02 PM »
Get Quest Helper! It makes leveling a breeze!
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/quest-helper.aspx
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: Monday, June 01, 2009, 01:52:22 PM »
Get Quest Helper! It makes leveling a breeze!
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/quest-helper.aspx

Yea, QuestHelper is a very nice addon. It tells you exactly where to go for each quest in your log, and the newer versiios even puts a pseudo-3D arrow telling you where to go and how far away it is. I use this addon, but more as just a guide to where quest objectives are. I still use the leveling guide, but instead of having to constantly check my coords, I let quest helper tell me where stuff is.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: Monday, June 01, 2009, 10:49:56 PM »
Huh. That sounds like... not fun? I dunno, if you're out there to actually play and not level up so you can start grinding raids I imagine that would kill things a bit.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #8 on: Monday, June 01, 2009, 11:06:36 PM »
Welcome to the world of warcraft sy.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: Monday, June 01, 2009, 11:10:38 PM »
Oh yeah. I forgot.

In Soviet Russia you don't play WoW, WoW plays you!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Monday, June 01, 2009, 11:11:31 PM »
Back in my day we had to alt-tab to Thottbot and we liked it!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Monday, June 01, 2009, 11:46:51 PM »
I had a really witty dig ready, and I totally lost it.  Damn it.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, June 02, 2009, 12:04:02 AM »
it's an MMO..the whole point is to meet people and play with them. That's what makes this game fun! I still like going to raids cause talking with vent with my guildies is super entertaining. You guys ever notice the people on this board who still love the game are in large guilds with lots of other people?
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, June 04, 2009, 05:25:38 AM »
thanks guys. i actually ended up going back to my human warrior instead. i've specced in fury for levelling purposes and have been using that Jame's guide thing (really good, btw). just ordered a copy of WotLK, it comes with a month included, right?

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, June 04, 2009, 10:56:14 AM »
just ordered a copy of WotLK, it comes with a month included, right?

no >:(

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, June 04, 2009, 04:20:23 PM »
fuck, that sucks. seems like it would be a good incentive to get old players buying the expansion and draw them back in.