Author Topic: Some cool looking Sci Fi flicks coming out  (Read 4690 times)

Offline PyroMenace

Some cool looking Sci Fi flicks coming out
« on: Tuesday, July 28, 2009, 09:23:23 PM »
Tron: Legacy

Not a remake but a sequel, looks like Jeff Bridges is reprising his role. I watched the original growing up, this is looking like its shaping up good, and the music sounds like something out of Mass Effect, but then again I always thought the music in Mass Effect sounded like something out of a new Tron movie.

The Book of Eli

This just looks like all kinds of badass. Denzel Washington in a post-apocalyptic world. Some spots looked like they were pulled straight out of Fallout.

District 9

Another alien invasion movie, but this looks more well shot and interesting. Nice CG and action sequences, hope it turns out good.

Pandorum

This is more horror out of the bunch and looks a little more dicey. If it just sticks to being creepy and crazy and less on the story, it could be a nice popcorn flick.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Some cool looking Sci Fi flicks coming out
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, July 28, 2009, 09:28:04 PM »
I haven't heard of any of them except District 9.  I really want to see it but I don't know why.  From what I've read it is kind of a commentary on culture and segregation, not a horror or action flick.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, July 28, 2009, 10:08:28 PM »
Damn.  Movies.  I remember those, kind of.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, July 28, 2009, 10:39:50 PM »
You forgot to mention the biggest of them all: James Cameron's Avatar!

Also did you guys know that Gary Whitta wrote the script for Book of Eli? It is amazing how far he's come from his days at PC GAMER!

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, July 28, 2009, 10:45:55 PM »
You forgot to mention the biggest of them all: James Cameron's Avatar!

Also did you guys know that Gary Whitta wrote the script for Book of Eli? It is amazing how far he's come from his days at PC GAMER!

Thats actually how I heard of this movie, through the ListenUP podcast talking about him.

Also, is there a trailer out for Avatar?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, July 28, 2009, 10:51:36 PM »
Probably.  I saw it in the theater.  I'm sorry, but it's a show on Nickelodeon.  I have no interest.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, July 28, 2009, 10:58:51 PM »
It looks pretty stupid, IMO.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, July 28, 2009, 11:07:59 PM »
Probably.  I saw it in the theater.  I'm sorry, but it's a show on Nickelodeon.  I have no interest.

I believe your thinking of M Nights Shyamalan's The Last Airbender, which is based off that cartoon, or is it a comic? James Cameron's Avatar is something completely different but I still have no idea what its about.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, July 28, 2009, 11:12:52 PM »
It looks pretty stupid, IMO.

haha do you hate Cameron so much? Or are you too confusing it with The Last Airbender? -- which actually does look stupid.

No no...

James Cameron's Avatar is totally something else. He has been making it for the past four years:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar_(2009_film)

IGN saw some of it and say it is mind blowing...

Avatar: The last Airbender from Nickelodeon is also being made into a movie, and will be directed by M Night Shayamalananan. It is set to release next year.

James Cameron's Avatar is coming at the end of this year. They previewed 25 minutes at Comic Con, and everyone went nuts. They said it was amazing. IGN did a little bit on it as well.

The movie doesn't have a trailer ready.

http://screenrant.com/james-camerons-avatar-comiccon-2009-rob-18351/

Finally, for our first time ever, we got a look at James Cameron’s upcoming top secret science fiction epic, Avatar.

But no, it wasn’t just a look, it was 25 minutes of 3-D beauty at its finest.

Tom Rothman, Chairman of Fox Film Entertainment was first on stage to give a strong and well-deserved introduction to the man behind this project, then we were treated to Cameron’s presence on stage to present his work to us in attendance.

Rothman described Cameron as a master at creating “emotional action epics” and he certainly brought that in force today with the movie that’s been “14 years in the dreaming, 4 years in the making.”

Cameron wasted no time in getting to the footage and he presented it as a way to address all the online concerns that fans and blogs have raised over the lack of marketing for the film long in the making.

Cameron: “how many of you have ever wanted to go to another planet?”

Hall H: A giant universal and cheerful “yes” followed by applause.

Cameron: “Second question, Are you ready to go to Pandora?”

Hall H: A giant universal and cheerful “yes” followed by applause.

And then it came, the moment I’ve been waiting for not just since waiting in line eight hours before, but since we first heard of the project in development.

Without going into too much detail at the risk of my words not doing the video justice, it was awesome.

In the scenes we were treated to, we found out the details of what the Avatars are, what they look like, how they are utilized. We go to see the beautiful and lush planet of Pandora, its indigenous life from plants to creatures and its main intelligent inhabitants, the Navi.

It certainly was a visual spectacle in every detail to the blades of grass and textures everywhere.

The tone and feel of the footage we saw was very similar to Jurassic Park, except with unearthly large beasts instead of giant dinosaurs and different species of plantation.

While everything we saw was developed from the careful research, planning and creativity of Cameron and crew, it all felt so real. They did an astounding job of creating a new world, a new culture. From geology, history and atmosphere to ecology and language, they did everything to create a completely realistic and believable aesthetic that works for the story and characters embedded in it.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/07/23/comic-con-2009-live-james-cameron-presents-avatar/

3:55PM - Just finished watching a full 25 minutes and holy shit it was phenomenal, just amazing. It does indeed look like nothing you've ever seen, it is groundbreaking, it looks incredible. Every single second in this looked real. And most of it was a completely CGI created universe that does not at all look CGI. It is truly amazing!

James Cameron wows Comic-Con with ‘Avatar’:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32126753/ns/entertainment-movies/

http://incontention.com/?p=10557

This film looks to be the blend of science fiction and fantasy that a Comic-Con crowd eats up.  The rendering of the Na’vi is wonderfully acute.  The 3D works and isn’t intrusive, making the numerous manifested elements of the film really pop and come to life.  And yet, with a 25-minute dip into this world, it still feels like the tip of the iceberg.

I caught myself half-way through, mouth agape, literally transfixed.  It wasn’t that the material was so new and ground-breaking, which it certainly is on some levels.  It was because it was so audaciously original and inventive.  I echo the sentiment of an audience member, who said before asking his question, “Thank you for making something that’s original, something that’s not a remake or a sequel.”

Well, I am sure it isn't completely original. It sounds like something derived -- at least on a subconscious level -- from something else. But still, it is going to quite original for live action cinema.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2009, 12:16:53 AM »
James Cameron has a hard time with the concept of "original".

But yeah, I did get them confused.  I haven't paid attention to either, but I remember seeing a trailer for the Nick Avatar movie and thought it looked pretty horrible.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2009, 05:21:20 AM »
I believe your thinking of M Nights Shyamalan's The Last Airbender, which is based off that cartoon, or is it a comic? James Cameron's Avatar is something completely different but I still have no idea what its about.
Oh yeah, you're right.  I remembered seeing the trailer for that one, and since the cartoon is actually called Avatar: The Last Airbender I got them mixed up.

I don't know anything about Avatar.

Edit:  Maybe Cameron & Co. should think about renaming Avatar.  Look, two people here got them confused.  I wonder how many people will drive by a theater and see Avatar up there and think of the Nickelodeon show and avoid it by mistake.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2009, 07:26:19 AM »
Good point...

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2009, 08:31:48 AM »
Tron Legacy has my tentative interest.  I was a fan of the original, which I saw at the theater in its day.  District 9 might turn out interesting from what I see here.  Book of Eli looks like so many other apocalyptic movies.  Denzel doesn't like to do crap, though, and for that one reason, I have some hope.  I didn't bother checking on the other one.