Author Topic: So I'm listening to the LOTR soundtrack  (Read 21872 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
So I'm listening to the LOTR soundtrack
« on: Saturday, October 21, 2006, 11:50:44 PM »
Needed something to listen to while playing roguelikes. Weird al just doesnt deliver the proper mood, ya know?

So theres this track by someone named Enya? I'm kind of digging the sound. I had never heard of her before, but I'm going to look into her other stuff.

Guess its classified as "celtic" which I always thought had a good sound, but when getting into a new type of music its really hard to pick something you'll like. You don't want to just buy an album for the hell of it, you might hate it and that'll turn you off to that style of music. If you get the right artist/album/song to ease you into it, you usually end up finding stuff you never thought you'd like.

I'm trying to find the right classical chinese album. Like, you know the teahouse scene in Hero, and that blind guy playing that guitar thing? I want something along those lines.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
Re: So I'm listening to the LOTR soundtrack
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, October 21, 2006, 11:54:23 PM »
Have you tried the House of Flying Daggers OST?  It's pretty good too.

I love the LOTR OST as well, I listen to it all the time.

My current playlist for some ideas since I listen to that kind of stuff all the time (all musical scores :P): 
Hitman - Blood Money
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Ikaruga
Gladiator
House of Flying Daggers
The Last Samurai
Memoirs of a Geisha
Lucky Number Slevin
Oldboy

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, October 21, 2006, 11:59:16 PM »
Its been a while since Ive seen the movie. I'll have to check out the soundtrack.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, October 22, 2006, 12:21:00 AM »
I sorta hate to admit it, but I'm something of an Enya fan. The first time I heard her music was at Seaworld. They played a song called Orinoco Flow before the big Shamue show and it just sounded cool (this was probably well over a decade ago).

You have to be careful with her though. If you listen to it too much you'll go insane. There's a bit on South Park that's pretty much a direct refence to her. It's Stan's grandfather explaining why he'd like to be killed and he used her music as an example. At first it's all nice and smoothing, but then it just starts to drive you mad and you just want to make it stop. It's not a bad metaphor.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, October 22, 2006, 01:21:39 AM »
The LOTR soundtrack is awesome, "Forth Eorlingas" is probably one of my favorite tracks along with "The Return of the King"(the song Aragorn sings at the end along with surrounding medleys).  As far as classical chinese music that you are looking for, I'm clueless for names of artists.   On a side note, the God of War soundtrack has another awesome epic sound to it like Lord of the Rings does.

EDIT: Well fucking crap, I go to listen to my God of War soundtrack after mentioning it and apparently about a quarter of the songs from my God of War soundtrack got corrupted somehow and you can't download it anymore from Sony with that code on the back of the instruction manual, torrents don't have any seeders either.  If someone has the soundtrack, I would be grateful if someone could send it to me.
« Last Edit: Sunday, October 22, 2006, 02:03:54 AM by TheGreatTetsuo »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, October 22, 2006, 05:30:37 AM »
If you guys like LOTR stuff you might like a band called Blind Guardian. They do alternative-folklore music (I don't know how to describe it really) based on the JRR Tolkien universe. Pretty cool.. I like it anyway.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, October 22, 2006, 08:15:03 AM »
Needed something to listen to while playing roguelikes. Weird al just doesnt deliver the proper mood, ya know?

So theres this track by someone named Enya? I'm kind of digging the sound. I had never heard of her before, but I'm going to look into her other stuff.

Guess its classified as "celtic" which I always thought had a good sound, but when getting into a new type of music its really hard to pick something you'll like. You don't want to just buy an album for the hell of it, you might hate it and that'll turn you off to that style of music. If you get the right artist/album/song to ease you into it, you usually end up finding stuff you never thought you'd like.

I'm trying to find the right classical chinese album. Like, you know the teahouse scene in Hero, and that blind guy playing that guitar thing? I want something along those lines.

You never heard of Enya?  I love her stuff.  Check it out on Amazon, as well as her own site.

http://www.enya.com/ItsintheRain.mov

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, October 22, 2006, 12:28:59 PM »
If you guys like LOTR stuff you might like a band called Blind Guardian. They do alternative-folklore music (I don't know how to describe it really) based on the JRR Tolkien universe. Pretty cool.. I like it anyway.

Dude, I've got tickets to see them at the Commodore on the 13th of Nov

BG kicks ass, especially the Nightfall in Middle Earth album
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, October 22, 2006, 12:59:21 PM »
Eh.  I think BG is cheesy as fuck.  I can't listen to them.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, October 22, 2006, 02:25:51 PM »
Eh.  I think BG is cheesy as fuck.  I can't listen to them.

haha

that's what makes them awesome
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, October 22, 2006, 08:19:14 PM »
Heh, I know what you mean.  I think it just isn't my personal cup of tea or whatever.  I think the concept is pretty entertaining, I just really can't listen to 'em.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, October 22, 2006, 11:12:40 PM »
Sweet Ace! Enjoy!

It's mainly the concept that attracts me, but I don't mind the music.. Makes me think of a strange fantasy land, where we're gathered around the campfire, the bards are singing the tales, and the wenches are dancing around the fire while we treat ourselves to some mead (or grog if it's preferred, though I'll stick to some berry juice)!

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #12 on: Monday, October 23, 2006, 12:52:28 AM »
You never heard of Enya?  I love her stuff.  Check it out on Amazon, as well as her own site.

http://www.enya.com/ItsintheRain.mov

I have come to the conclusion that this woman deeply frightens me. Its like in that video shes looking into my soul and trying to steal something, she soothes you with her voice and then wants to eat my soul with her eyes. I was hypnotized by it, and almost lost my life.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Monday, October 23, 2006, 01:44:41 AM »
There are drugs to alleviate that condition.
;)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #14 on: Monday, October 23, 2006, 02:25:40 AM »
I have come to the conclusion that this woman deeply frightens me. Its like in that video shes looking into my soul and trying to steal something, she soothes you with her voice and then wants to eat my soul with her eyes. I was hypnotized by it, and almost lost my life.
Yep, I'd do her.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #15 on: Monday, October 23, 2006, 04:08:47 AM »
Sweet Ace! Enjoy!

It's mainly the concept that attracts me, but I don't mind the music.. Makes me think of a strange fantasy land, where we're gathered around the campfire, the bards are singing the tales, and the wenches are dancing around the fire while we treat ourselves to some mead (or grog if it's preferred, though I'll stick to some berry juice)!

exactly... I especially enjoy their live cuts of The Bard's Song... where they just let the crowd sing the entire thing.

I hope they play it at the concert.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline joeactually

• Rookie
  • Life sucks. That's your lesson. Go enjoy it.
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 04:35:38 PM »

WOW!  BG is so super de duper lame.  I mean who puts a Hobbit on an album cover?  I highly recomment Glenn Danzig's Black Aria (the first one, haven't really absorbed the new one).  It's so beautiful.
YOU'RE WELCOME!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 07:57:05 PM »
WOW!  BG is so super de duper lame.  I mean who puts a Hobbit on an album cover?  I highly recomment Glenn Danzig's Black Aria (the first one, haven't really absorbed the new one).  It's so beautiful.
Haha I can see the lameness, but I still appreciate the atmosphere the music creates :P

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, November 15, 2006, 03:01:59 AM »
Oh man that was a wicked concert

The crowd gets so into it. I agree with Xessive, it's all about the atmosphere.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...