Author Topic: Smartphone Megathread. It's the shit.  (Read 139004 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: I have a new addiction
« Reply #200 on: Tuesday, December 21, 2010, 03:34:35 AM »
Can you recommend a good custom launcher?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #201 on: Tuesday, December 21, 2010, 07:33:55 AM »
Thanks GPW.

I'l have weigh my options to see what really fits into my needs and budget (although they're all around the same price range).

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #202 on: Tuesday, December 21, 2010, 07:32:02 PM »
Can you recommend a good custom launcher?

Launcher Pro seems to be the most popular at the moment, with ADW launcher in a close second.  Both are minimal modifications with some really good enhancements and fully skinable/themeable...I think.

I've used Launcher Pro a fair bit.  There is a free version and a pay one (best to find a way around that).  The free version is good, has a nice elastic scrolling effect, a much better dock bar at the bottom of the screen, and some other nice features.  The paid version includes all kinds of shortcuts (gestures and such) as well as some very Sense-like widgets.   Also, you can resize most widgets in the paid version and enable scrollable widgets (great for calendars, etc) in both versions.

ADW I haven't really messed around with so I can't say much but I think it's pretty similar.  I've been rocking custom roms for a while now and plan on going back to an old 2.1 rom sometime soon as the custom Froyo ones just kill my battery.  I'll give ADW a test run when I do.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #203 on: Tuesday, December 21, 2010, 07:34:09 PM »
I use ADW and really like it.  With the proper themes and some customization it's amazing and runs really well too.  I haven't tried Launcher Pro though.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #204 on: Tuesday, December 21, 2010, 08:49:11 PM »
I have an Android phone and this is the first I have heard of "launchers".  Is that like HTC Sense?

I haven't bothered with any custom UI because it seems that Sense is viewed pretty favorably.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #205 on: Tuesday, December 21, 2010, 10:44:52 PM »
Yep a launcher is basically a customization of the front end UI.  If you run stock android customization is a must.  Other brands redo their frontend as well but it is usually still not as good as Launcher Pro or ADW.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #206 on: Wednesday, December 22, 2010, 12:24:13 AM »
Yeah.  I believe people refer to them as launchers rather than UIs because they only really affect the look/feel of the homescreen/desktop rather than the entire UI of the phone itself.  Sense does this as well, but adds a keyboard, lockscreen, and overall reskin.  with Launcher Pro and ADW, the only thing affected is the actual home screen(s).

That said, Sense certainly is the cream of the crop.  There are sense-infused roms for pretty much every phone out there, but no one  bothers to port Touchwiz or Motoblur. This is certainly HTCs strong-point, and something they've leveraged over from their WinMo days.

I do kind of like the spartan feel of the stock Google launcher though.  From 2.1 (can't speak of 2.0) up, there's not all that much of a difference between that and the Launcher Pro/ADW.  Well, not much that many would notice anyways.  It is, however, something they really need to focus on upgrading for 3.0/Honeycomb if they want to remain as competitive as they have been.  I had no problem with it, and there's a lot of utility there, but there's also a lot of missed potential considering the resources they have.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #207 on: Sunday, January 16, 2011, 01:42:37 AM »
I posted about that small, work related crack in the Gorilla Glass screen of my Milestone. It actually held up pretty well, but the thing about glass is once you have a stress fracture in there, the structural integrity of the entire light/pane is shot.   Was walking on this bank today and slipped on some mud, fully landing with my full weight on my phone.  The result is a completely smashed screen.  It's usable, but dangerous, and only slightly so.  There's also some internal damage I believe because some of the side buttons are fucked.

So, I'm looking at options.  These include iPhone, Galaxy S Fascinate, and actually downgrading to a dumb phone and rocking that for a while.   The iPhone and Galaxy options are tempting, but I wouldn't mind cutting the cost on my (previously discussed) massive bill for a few months in order to recoup from some hits recently.  I'm also not entirely sure as to what I'd have to pay to get either of these and won't know until I speak with a representative.  Beyond that, nothing available on my carrier really interests me.

Cutting costs would certainly be the best option, but fuck, I'd miss gps and internet access quite a bit.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #208 on: Monday, April 11, 2011, 07:29:41 PM »
I recently updated my phone to 2.2/Froyo.  Apparently, the official release wasn't so hot, so I loaded the highest recommended custom ROM.  Honestly, the Froyo improvements are great (I have dabbled in Cyanogen before), but there seems to be many downsides on my phone.  I guess Froyo just wasn't made with 256mb RAM in mind, which I should have known from people's complaints with the original Droid's Froyo update.

I think I may roll back to a custom Eclair Rom and ride that out until a good phone to update to is out...say, in a year or so. I mean, in browser flash isn't so great. 

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #209 on: Friday, May 06, 2011, 02:48:28 PM »
Well, I got myself an HTC HD7, with Windows Phone 7. My options were iPhone for $950, HTC Desire HD for $650, or the HD7 on special offer for $320. I gotta say it is smooth although just as locked down as an iPhone.

Allow me to vent my frustration at Microsoft's asinine region crap. Now, when I logged in with my Windows Live ID I expected the devices services would be readily available to me, little did I know that ALL of Microsoft's services are now tied indirectly to Xbox LIVE. I linked my phone with my xessive@hotmail and it beautifully synced my e-mail and contacts, directly from my Hotmail account. Everything seemed perfect until I tried to visit the Marketplace: Bzzzz "Marketplace is not available in your region." May as well have had a big "fuck you" at the bottom.

At this point I'm confused, why would this product be available in my country if its services are not? So I try to log into the Xbox LIVE service and of course that doesn't work either because apparently back in 2005 I created an Xbox LIVE account which was set to a region that the service is not available in, of course it is to this day non-functioning, can't even log into it. Which naturally begs the question "Why the F would the Xbox LIVE sign-up process list locations in which it does not exist?" Logic aside, I contacted Microsoft in an effort to resolve the issue and their answer is basically "just create a new account, asshole." I asked them nicely if they could simply unlink the useless and completely unused gamertag from my Windows Live ID and they have yet to reply.

Moral of the story is: don't get any Microsoft devices if you have doubts about your "Windows Live ID" or any of their stupidly unified crap.

How did I get around the current issue to get a my phone functioning? Remember my Xbox Live gamertag that I created with a Gmail address? Yeah, that works.. So Now if I have to log into my Hotmail, Marketplace, Games for Windows Live, Xbox Live, I have to use my Gmail address, which is tied to a Windows Live ID that is basically blank.. There is actually a Hotmail inbox that I log into with my Gmail that just sits there doing nothing in cyber space. Why? Because Microbitch won't migrate or unlink my xessive@hotmail from that defunct gamertag. Anyway, after that I had to manually create a separate Windows Live login on the phone for my xessive@hotmail in order to get e-mails from it alongside the useless xessive@gmail@hotmail.. Then I also had to create a third login to actually get the e-mails from my Gmail account. Go figure.

Is the source of the problem the device? No, it just really highlights how big of a clusterfuck Microsoft have made with their ridiculous policies and permanent region restrictions. DO they not acknowledge the fact that people move?!!

Sorry guys, I'm just really pissed and venting out this crap.. I fucking hate this illogical crap they're giving me.

So, was it worth the $300 price drop? yeah.. I have an awesome device that's basically an equivalent of an iPhone with much of the same functionality for less than a 1/3 of the price.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #210 on: Friday, May 06, 2011, 03:28:19 PM »
That's completely ridiculous.  I'm glad you found a workaround.  But I'm thinking it's probably best for me to stay away from that cell-phone infrastructure.  It would give one big company too much power over my life.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #211 on: Friday, May 06, 2011, 06:25:25 PM »
Wow, that's total crap Xessive.  Jennie has a Windows Phone 7 phone, I think a Samsung Focus or something like that.  It's actually pretty cool.  Color me impressed by Microsoft's latest mobile OS.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #212 on: Friday, May 06, 2011, 11:23:49 PM »
Yeah, I hope Microsoft can solve my hotmail issue, if not I may consider migrating all my e-mail to Gmail or create a fresh Hotmail with an Xbox LIVE that's based in Canada; that would also mean losing access to Bulletstorm (its CD key is permanently bound to my current UK-based Xbox LIVE gamertag).

In terms of the OS and its performance I am impressed too. Its simplicity makes the minimalist in me giggle uncontrollably! :D

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #213 on: Saturday, May 07, 2011, 08:46:42 PM »
if not I may consider migrating all my e-mail to Gmail

I ended up having to do this when switching from Windows Mobile to Android, simply because there is no push support for Hotmail at all on Android (well, there sorta is now, but nothing great).  That and the Gmail app is so much better.  It's actually a breeze.  You can set your Hotmail account to forward to one other email; in my case gmail.  All my messages that aren't spam go straight into my Gmail, with a "xxxxx@hotmail.com" Label (you can turn that off or on).  Furthermore, you can always choose to send certain emails from gmail with the hotmail return address.   It was actually pretty painless.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #214 on: Sunday, May 08, 2011, 06:31:53 AM »
I ended up having to do this when switching from Windows Mobile to Android, simply because there is no push support for Hotmail at all on Android (well, there sorta is now, but nothing great).
I would disagree with the bolded statement.  You can connect to Hotmail via ActiveSync.  That gives you the same basic experience you get with the Gmail app, the Google Calendar, and the People.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #215 on: Sunday, May 08, 2011, 10:55:52 AM »
I would disagree with the bolded statement.  You can connect to Hotmail via ActiveSync.  That gives you the same basic experience you get with the Gmail app, the Google Calendar, and the People.

Interesting.  After reading this, I did a google search to see how I missed this when switching over.  Seems I didn't, it's just Hotmail itself didn't have push ActiveSync support for non-WinMo devices until August 2010, after I switched. Well, no going back now.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #216 on: Sunday, May 08, 2011, 01:33:02 PM »
I solved my Outlook issues by using Google Apps Sync, which basically instructs Outlook to use the Gmail server rather than Microsoft Exchange: synced my old phone with Outlook, then synced Outlook with Gmail, finally synced my HD7 with Gmail.

My primary reason for going that route is that Outlook turns into a whiny little bitch when I try to set it up for my Hotmail inbox. Plus it incessantly nags that it needs the "Windows Live Connector" in order to do it but even after I did that it would take forever to sync with Hotmail.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #217 on: Tuesday, May 10, 2011, 07:11:49 AM »
Well, I just made a stark discovery about Windows Phone 7: there is no way to make a phone backup i.e. save state and restore later.

Zune will only back up videos, music, and photos. Contacts are synced online but there's no hard backup option at all, not even via Outlook. SMS texts are not backed-up and lost irrevocably. Apps are gone and you'll have to re-download.

I don't mind re-configuring settings but not having a hard-backup option is a major downside. In the case of SMS messages, being forced to lose data completely is just inexcusable.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #218 on: Thursday, May 12, 2011, 11:02:39 AM »
I have to say that the Galaxy S has honestly changed my life in a positive way.

Smartphones... one of the inventions of the century.

Honestly, Symbian was just a piece of crap.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #219 on: Sunday, June 19, 2011, 09:04:24 PM »
I dropped the fuck out of my Milestone into some water.  Luckily, I had a protection plan in place and got a replacement a day later.  The thing is that the replacement seems to have some weird antenna problem or something and I am currently going through the steps to get ANOTHER replacement sent out....but I expect something to go south and Asurion (the company the telecoms use for handset insurance) to try to back charge me SOMETHING.

That aside, I am looking at an upgrade soon.  I don`t know if the Galaxy S II or anything up to spec will be out here by then, with the latest being the Nexus S.  In that case, I may make the switch to iPhone.  Yay/nay?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #220 on: Monday, June 20, 2011, 12:31:43 PM »
Galaxy SII is out and apparently it's awesome.

Check out Engadget's review here.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #221 on: Monday, June 20, 2011, 04:36:59 PM »
i still don't like the interface nearly as much as htc's, but the speed is far superior to htc's dual-core, the "sensation" (not that you can actually tell in real world use). despite it being a total beast, the galaxy s II is actually one of the best android phones for battery life. the device is unbelievably light and thin, also the screen quality is the best i've ever seen from a phone.

if you are going to make the switch to the iphone, it's worth bearing in mind that the current buzz is that the iphone 5 is coming out in september.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #222 on: Monday, June 20, 2011, 06:43:25 PM »
Yeah, the Galaxy S2 would be my go-to (although I really wish they had a qwerty slider variant), but it's not out here quite yet.

This is what I'm dealing with on my new replacement unit.  Assuming they want to be fucking idiots about it, I may have to jump on something in the meantime.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #223 on: Saturday, July 30, 2011, 11:36:00 PM »
They kept on sending me refurb units and I kept on having problems.  The last one worked for about a month and then all of a sudden couldn't get a signal on my carrier or see any others which used the same bands. It could have been a network problem (with my account specifically) or a hardware problem, but I was sick of dealing with the shit so I said "Fuck it", ported my number out and got an HTC Desire Z for $0 on a one year contract.

It was a huge toss up.  There weren't any Android devices I wanted on my carrier (Telus), and I didn't really want to make the jump to iPhone or BB.  So, end of the day, the cheapest option which would lead to a usable phone ended up being switching carriers, buying out my contract, and signing on for a year.  I had considered doing the same and getting a GalaxyS2, BUT it would have cost substantially more and I'd be locked into pretty much a three year contract in order to get any sort of reasonable discount on the phone.  Outright was like $600,  and on a three year it cost $165 or something PLUS the $200 odd to get out of the contract, or full price and unlock.  Outright for the Desire Z was $499.  It made the most sense and gives me an upgrade option ion 6-9 months.

That said, reasonable upgrade over the Droid/Milestone.  Waaaay better keyboard, quite a bit faster, and far fewer bugs.  The difference between first and second gen Android phones is amazing. The build quality is very good, but it doesn't have that same awesome feel as my old phone.  The Droid/Milestone felt like you were holding a fucking gun: perfect weight, all metal and hard edges.  Gorilla Glass and durable as hell.  This still has a good weight to it, soft touch rubberized texture and brushed aluminum, but the rounded edges and such make it feel a bit plastic like and cheap coming off the Milestone.  And I don't believe it has Gorilla glass. 

Sense is great, and I may not even root/custom rom this bitch.  It seems thats where a lot of bugs come in.  Well, I'll probably root just to get the carrier-specific apps off there, but it seems a fair bit more complicated than on my last phone.

Oh, and the thing boots in like 5 seconds. 

All in all, good deal.  Kind of sad I had to switch carriers and give up around 10 years of loyalty and the bonuses that come with it, but since smartphones blew up, carriers had really been cutting back on the deals for their loyalty customers.  I had about $35-40 of free features on my old account, but more min. than I really used since data plans and unlimited texts, and it was looking like a lot of those features would not be renewed for free. I pay slightly less now, with the sacrifice being later free periods by a few hours and roughly 100 min a month less. I think I can deal with that.  Worst case, I upgrade the plan and get work to start paying for some of my bill.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #224 on: Sunday, July 31, 2011, 04:33:37 AM »
When the plans start to lose value there's no point in staying with a carrier.

At least they had some loyalty rewards, here there's not much of a choice.. We're forcibly loyal to the one and only telecom provider. It's not loyalty if you don't have a choice :P

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #225 on: Monday, August 01, 2011, 12:21:00 AM »
Haha.  Good point.  Although, as I'm sure you know, in Canada the big three carriers might as well be a single entity.  There are newer, smaller, and far cheaper carriers that have come out in the last 12 months or so, but they have the back woods of spectrum and no penetration outside of major cities.  Which wouldn't be such a big deal to me except for the fact that they don't have the market share or leverage to get some of the top of the line devices.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #226 on: Monday, August 01, 2011, 02:21:57 AM »
Haha.  Good point.  Although, as I'm sure you know, in Canada the big three carriers might as well be a single entity.  There are newer, smaller, and far cheaper carriers that have come out in the last 12 months or so, but they have the back woods of spectrum and no penetration outside of major cities.  Which wouldn't be such a big deal to me except for the fact that they don't have the market share or leverage to get some of the top of the line devices.
Oh you just reminded me, frickin' Rogers! They swallowed Fido whole!

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #227 on: Monday, August 01, 2011, 11:14:28 AM »
Out of curiosity, how many of you on Android are rooted?  I always was on my Milestone, but it seems a lot more of a pain in the ass for my new phone:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/index.php?title=HTC_Vision#Rooting_the_Vision_.28G2.2FDZ.29_and_DHD

That sounds like an hour or so of work.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #228 on: Monday, August 01, 2011, 04:07:42 PM »
on the desire hd and rooted (also rooted my hero). not the easiest thing in the world, but i'm now running a hacked of version of sense 3.0 which is all kinds of snazzy.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #229 on: Monday, August 01, 2011, 07:35:24 PM »
Out of curiosity, how many of you on Android are rooted?  I always was on my Milestone, but it seems a lot more of a pain in the ass for my new phone:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/index.php?title=HTC_Vision#Rooting_the_Vision_.28G2.2FDZ.29_and_DHD

That sounds like an hour or so of work.
When you say "root it", do you mean just get root access or to install a custom ROM?  I got root access and then put CyanogenMod 7.1.0 RC1 on my Incredible, but I regret it.  I now always worry if my phone is going to freeze during conversations or the dialer will just crash outright.  It reboots far more frequently now, and Gmail syncing is a constant problem.

I was just tired of Verizon/HTC dragging their feet with Gingerbread.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #230 on: Monday, August 01, 2011, 10:12:09 PM »
Well, kind of one and the same a bit.  You need root access to get the custom ROM.  Specifically, I suppose I was talking about actually getting root access though.  This is the most complex I've seen the instructions for it (same as Beo's Desire HD, I believe).  My last phone was a bit of a bitch, but only actually three or four steps once you knew what you were doing. This seems a lot more intimidating.

I guess the main reason for root access is custom ROMs.  Apart from that, I guess there are a few low-level options you can fuck around with, a few more apps you can run, and some things to flash (different basebands/radios).  Now that you mention it, I don't know if I would root if I didn't flash a custom rom.  Most are pretty sweet and have a lot more features (I was looking at that Sense 3.0 one for my Desire Z), but are at least slightly less reliable in some form or another.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #231 on: Wednesday, August 03, 2011, 10:16:01 PM »
So I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a windows mobile 7 phone. My android phone is really dated and extremely slow with lots of issues, but all I use it for is texting and maybe maps every so often, I use my iPod for browsing and gaming. Sprint has the HTC Arrive which doesn't have the biggest or best screen but I read the battery life is decent and the I think it will work nicely for a smart phone where I just use it for the basics.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #232 on: Thursday, August 04, 2011, 12:30:49 AM »
In my experience WP7 is not bad. I do have to say it is on the same business model as iPhone: it's locked down, Marketplace = Apple Store (in function not variety), Zune = iTunes, and no card slots. It's basically an iPhone for people who don't like Apple. My HTC HD7 is pretty good, very simple to use though still leaves some features to be desirable which will hopefully be addressed in the upcoming Mango update: WP7.1.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #233 on: Thursday, August 04, 2011, 01:29:59 AM »
It does really sound like WP or iPhone would suit you best.  Both seem to just work better than Android and I considered both before realizing I was hooked by widgets, Google integratio, and free turn by turn.  I do believe, though, that if you don't utilize those and don't want to Fuck around with a device a lot, any of the other options is better as a communications device.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #234 on: Thursday, August 04, 2011, 09:52:28 AM »
I ended up going with an iPhone after a year of the Xperia X10.  While I really liked the customization options on Android, performance and battery life was poor, and the on screen keyboard wasn't that great.  I was very impressed with the keyboard on iPhone and made the switch.  There are some eccentricities that I'm not entirely fond of on iOS, but iOS 5 should remedy some of those problems.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #235 on: Tuesday, October 04, 2011, 11:26:36 PM »
New iPhone 4S is coming to AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint. Its going to have a dual core processor and a better camera.

Glad I held off on my upgrade. Was waiting for a new Win 7 phone or a new Android Nexus but I totally didn't expect the iPhone to come to Sprint. Its going to be a nice upgrade.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #236 on: Wednesday, October 05, 2011, 10:30:21 AM »
New iPhone 4S is coming to AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint. Its going to have a dual core processor and a better camera.

Glad I held off on my upgrade. Was waiting for a new Win 7 phone or a new Android Nexus but I totally didn't expect the iPhone to come to Sprint. Its going to be a nice upgrade.
Is a new Google Nexus coming? I was getting ready to buy the Nexus S 4G from Sprint.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #237 on: Wednesday, October 05, 2011, 04:23:22 PM »
I'd hold off a week or so.  It looks like the next Nexus, the Nexus Prime may be announced Oct. 11 at some trade show. Might as well see what's in the pipeline and what the release date is before you drop the coin.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #238 on: Thursday, October 06, 2011, 03:43:55 AM »
You know, smartphone updates suck.  I'm still on Android 2.2 (Froyo), even though Google released 2.3 (Gingerbread) almost a year ago.  HTC and Verizon rolled out a 2.3 update briefly for my phone in early September, but it was a total disaster so they recalled it.  Supposedly they are re-releasing it in late October.  We'll see.  This is why I want a Nexus phone.

Meanwhile, Windows Phone 7.5 (Mango) has been released.  Yet Jennie's Samsung Focus v1.3 is still on 7.0.7008.0, which is one patch above the original release of Windows Phone 7 (7.0.7004.0).  Somehow she missed the "NoDo" update and an update after that.  Not to mention the Mango update itself which was supposedly released on September 27.  Yet her phone happily quips "No update available."  I don't get it.

There are reports of people calling AT&T about this, who then refer the caller to Samsung, who then refers the caller to Microsoft, who then refers the caller to AT&T.

What a mess this whole situation is.  It's mass confusion and frustration.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #239 on: Thursday, October 06, 2011, 04:56:03 AM »
Yeah, mine never got the NoDo update either, there was one minor update that allowed copy/paste, and now Mango.

Apparently there are a few Samsung and HTC models that didn't get the Mango update yet.