Author Topic: Smartphone Megathread. It's the shit.  (Read 138980 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Re: Smartphone Megathread. It's the shit.
« Reply #360 on: Friday, June 22, 2012, 11:05:46 AM »
How much do they generally cost?  I might look into this.

Offline beo

• Veteran
Re: Smartphone Megathread. It's the shit.
« Reply #361 on: Friday, June 22, 2012, 11:22:03 AM »
Been using a cheap mhl adapter that I got off of eBay with no problems on my one x. Very handy.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #362 on: Friday, June 22, 2012, 07:58:41 PM »
The Menotek one I got was $18. The Samsung one is $27.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #363 on: Saturday, June 23, 2012, 04:42:57 PM »
Using Swype now. swiftkey3 is definitely faster but Swype is better with one hand. Not sure which one I'll end up sticking with. both are much better than the default keyboard though, that one almost made me want to go back to BlackBerry.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #364 on: Saturday, June 23, 2012, 08:32:12 PM »
I'm using SwiftKey now. I like it but I've had to adjust my typing a bit. I am an old school double-spacer after sentences. When I do that with SwiftKey it automatically puts an "I". I'm also not used to the placement of numbers and symbols yet. But it is a lot more forgiving than the default keyboard related to near misses of the correct keys.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #365 on: Monday, June 25, 2012, 03:06:00 PM »
So my new Samsung MHL adapter came today and I am using it now.  It fixed all the issues I was having with the Menotek one.  it works great.  I'll have to try watching some HD videos to see how they come out.

i would only use something like this as a light duty desktop only in emergency situations or as a novelty. The current Android UI doesn't lend itself very well to navigation with a mouse.  Right now I am using a mini keyboard with trackpad. it is about the size of a small remote control. Perhaps a full size keyboard and mouse would be better.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #366 on: Wednesday, September 26, 2012, 10:17:10 PM »
I would just like to reiterate that my HTC One S is, by far, the best phone I've ever owned. The build quality is amazing ( anodized gradient blue version), form factor perfect (I was worried about touch only at first, but thank God for Swype), and its thin enough to fit in an OtterBox commuter and still be a reasonable size. Oh, and Ics finally makes Android/sense worth using.

That is all.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #367 on: Wednesday, September 26, 2012, 11:14:04 PM »
I'm torn between the Samsung Galaxy S3 and the HTC One X. They're both selling for the same price, each with its sets of pros and cons. I'mm leaning towards the S3 but honestly I just do not like its appearance, it's too curvy and the back panel is actually pretty flimsy; that said, it is the technically superior phone plus SD card slot.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #368 on: Wednesday, September 26, 2012, 11:41:24 PM »
That's the toughest call out there at the moment. My problem with both is that they're HUGE, but if you're cool with that, you really couldn't go wrong with either.  Out of the box, I like HTC's interface more and (I think) it has the better screen/camera, but the GSIII is faster and probably will get better support....although nothing to match a Nexus.  That said, if you're not dying, the next Nexus phone should probably match the GSIII.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #369 on: Thursday, September 27, 2012, 03:26:04 AM »
Jelly Bean arrived on my Galaxy Nexus on Sunday. I do notice a bit more smoothness but the biggest improvement is Google Now. That is really neat.

In other news I got a replacement phone yesterday because my phone kept having weird issues where it wouldn't know whether or not it was connected to a charger, even when it was definitely not. This was causing screen wake issues. I dropped it recently and I'm pretty sure that's why it started happening.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #370 on: Thursday, September 27, 2012, 04:40:41 AM »
Yeah, they're both pretty massive! haha

I was really tempted to grab the Galaxy Nexus, but its price hasn't dropped significantly here (it's only like $30 less than a Galaxy SIII). I wouldn't mind waiting for the next Nexus phone assuming it's coming withing the next 3-4 months. The goinng rumour is that a new "superior" Galaxy Nexus is coming this Fall. Nothing concrete yet though.

Btw, I hooked up a Blackberry charger to my HTC HD7 (Windows Phone 7); since they both have the miniUSB slots and voltage I figured I could just use the same charger, and to my surprise my phone went nuts! haha Without touching the screen it kept randomly sliding though tiles, pages, opening apps, dialing people, it just went berserk! haha Awesome, horrible, but amusing ;D

Its battery got charged too, mission amusingly accomplished.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #371 on: Thursday, September 27, 2012, 07:32:18 PM »
Ha.   That's crazy.  I end up using all kinds of chargers with my HTC - Motorolla, Blackberry, OEM HTC, and haven't had a problem.  I had assumed that they had finally come to the point where the agreement the manufacturers made to standardize chargers had come into full effect.  Apparently not.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #372 on: Friday, September 28, 2012, 01:43:42 AM »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #373 on: Friday, September 28, 2012, 01:54:02 AM »
X, there's also the One X+ which is just about to come out - http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/htc-one-x-shows-up-in-brochure-packs-17ghz-quad-core-jelly-bean-273250
Thanks for the heads-up, Beo!

GITEX (Gulf IT Exhibition) is starting tomorrow and I'm expecting some competitive pricing and discounts.

UPDATE:
Yep, no price drops at all for Samsung. Zip, nada. The Galaxy SIII is still going for around USD $650.

HTC on the other hand did offer a heft discount on the HTC One X, bringing it's price down from USD ~$650 to ~$540 but (and here's the catch) on for the white model, The dark grey model is still at around $650. What's the reasoning behind it? No idea and no excuse.

I was actually curious to see what offer I could get for a Galaxy Nexus at this point in time and oddly enough it's selling for the same price as the Galaxy SIII.

Some shops have been offering the iPhone 5 and you won't belive the prices. The 16GB model is going for USD $1,630. Yep. This is the same item you can buy in the US without a contract for around $650.

So yeah, tough season, I'm gonna hold out for a more interesting phone to hit the market.
« Last Edit: Saturday, September 29, 2012, 11:36:49 AM by Xessive »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #374 on: Sunday, September 30, 2012, 06:58:10 AM »
What do we know about the next Nexus?

Unlike previous years, there are more than a couple of rumors that Google isn’t bringing just one Nexus device to market. In fact it looks like Google is looking to fill their Play Store with multiple devices, each from a different manufacturer. We’ve put together all of the bits and pieces to see just what it looks like each company could bring to market.

Interesting speculation on the possibilities of the next Nexus phone.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #375 on: Sunday, September 30, 2012, 09:00:53 AM »
If anyone in the U.S. is considering a Nexus device, I suggest buying the unlocked GSM phone directly from Google Play and going with T-Mobile or AT&T for the true Nexus experience.  Verizon and Sprint both deliver updates later than they should and Verizon blocks Google Wallet.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #376 on: Sunday, September 30, 2012, 12:25:37 PM »
Damn it, man. I cannot make this decision between the Galaxy S3 and the One X.

I was able to find the SIII for $550 and the One X for $475. Relatively small difference in price. Here's a list of my pros and cons so far:

HTC One X:
Pros: Looks sleek, high quality build with matte finish, Sense UI blends seamlessly with native Android interface, and on board 32GB.
Cons: Battery is built-in (not replaceable), no MicroSD card slot, face buttons are touch-sensitive and not actual buttons.

Samsung Galaxy SIII:
Pros: MicroSD card slot, replaceable battery, noticeably better battery life, physical button on the front, supposedly superior software features.
Cons: Glossy finish, flimsy build quality (especially the back panel), overall not an appealing look (for me anyway), TouchWiz is a little wonky, and UI experience is not ideal (tries to hide Android).

Summary:
Basically, my main issue with the SIII is I think it looks fuckin' ugly (even when compared to its predecessor, the SII) but it has a major advantage by being a more modular phone with the MicroSD card slot as well as have a removable battery; a year or two down the road if the battery is not holding a charge, buy a new one. The SIII's battery life is a huge advantage as well.

The One X, on the other hand, looks much more elegant but is restricted by not having a card slot or a replaceable battery. Both phones have a decent UI experience with the One X having the edge of a much cleaner interface. The SIII though has some (perhaps gimicky) software features such as gestures (swipe hand on screen to take screenshot) and facial/eye recognition technology where it basically recognizes when you're looking at the phone, and of course some NFC and back-to-back phone transfer options. Funky, but not the hard selling points for me.

I'm not trying to rush this decision but the marked down prices I found are on a limited time offer (3 days), after which they both go back to $650 each.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #377 on: Sunday, September 30, 2012, 04:43:33 PM »
The Galaxy Nexus doesn't have a microSD card slot either.  I thought I would miss it, but I have found that I don't.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #378 on: Sunday, September 30, 2012, 07:39:38 PM »
Yeah, I was really worried about the lack of SD card and removable battery in my phone, but it hasn't really bothered me at all.  You should, however keep in mind that Sense 4.0 has some weird multi-tasking.  It's more like the iOS version where it just freezes an app and keeps it open. So, if you switch out of a browser or game you may have problems re-entering.  Your game may restart and/or your browser may reload the page you were on.

Again, hasn't really bothered me much, but many complain about it.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #379 on: Sunday, September 30, 2012, 10:54:13 PM »
After much deliberation I have made a decision.

I realized that my issues with the SIII were purely cosmetic, whereas with the One X they are more substantial. The store also had the rare "black" SIII so I bit the bullet, went ahead and ordered it. It should be arriving in about 3 days or so.

I'll give my conclusive impressions when I unbox it ;)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #380 on: Monday, October 01, 2012, 01:07:59 PM »
Awesome!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #381 on: Sunday, October 28, 2012, 07:17:48 AM »
Yes! I have finally joined the Android bandwagon! My S3 is here and it is, as Pug put it so eloquently, awesome.

I'm typing from it right now. It's certainly the best browsing experience on a phone yet. I'm gonna play with it some more :)

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #382 on: Sunday, November 25, 2012, 05:46:55 PM »
I don't need a new phone but the unlocked Nexus 4 is so cheap it's tempting. I hope this is the start of a new trend where there are real options for those who don't want to be in a contract.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #383 on: Sunday, April 07, 2013, 05:08:22 PM »
So my iPhone 4S is pretty much toast. It fell in some water (fully submerged), I wiped it off and it was still working with some issues (audio going on and off), I thought it was getting better but then by the time I got back home from work it went dead. The battery stopped holding a charge. I have it in a container full of rice to get all the moisture out but I think the damage maybe already done. I got it in 2011 so its out of warranty, sprint doesn't offer insurance on iPhones so I guess I'm screwed? Can a third party repair shop do anything with it and is it worth the cost? I reverted back to my old old android phone for now. Any advice?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #384 on: Sunday, April 07, 2013, 05:20:27 PM »
If you're back on an old phone leave it in the rice for as long as possible - at least 48 hours. It's amazing how some electronics can come back.

As for a repair shop, it depends on what the damage is.  If it works when plugged in and it's just the battery that's shot you're looking at a really cheap fix.  Hell, you can probably even buy new batteries off of ebay with instructions on how to open up and install.  New Screens are generally in the $50 installed range....generally.  But, with water damage, it's hard to say.  If it doesn't boot back up at all it could be that the motherboard is shot...probably not worth the fix (although look into it - I have no ideas about iPhones...there's enough out there that they could be repairable for pretty cheap).

The general rule for dumping anything in water though is to pull the battery or shut it off right away, and get it in rice/whatever as soon as you can without trying to turn it on or use it for a few days. It's usually that trying to use them wet is what fucks them up.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #385 on: Sunday, April 07, 2013, 05:29:40 PM »
Yeah, if you left it on all day after the exposure you could already be fucked. But like gpw said, definitely leave it in the rice to dry for 48 hours at least. I managed to salvage a phone I dropped in a hot tub by pulling the battery right away and keeping it off several days, but it wasn't a touch screen and the keys eventually got enough damage I had to get a new one. Some stuff can be pretty resilient, but you just never know exactly what's happened.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #386 on: Monday, April 08, 2013, 08:03:30 AM »
Well, can't pull the battery in the iPhone.  But yeah anytime an electronic device hits water it is important to kill power (and, if possible, remove the battery) immediately and then throw it in a bag of rice or those little packets that sometimes come with things and say "Do not eat."  You have to get all moisture out.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #387 on: Tuesday, April 09, 2013, 04:36:09 PM »
Well I removed it from the rice today, which has been two days now. I'm still getting a low battery indicator on the screen and when I plug it in, and it attempts to boot up but fails and the battery indicator comes back up and it keeps repeating this, so I guess the battery is borked, which I hope is the only problem. I ordered a new one off ebay and it comes with tools to install it yourself, came out to $12. I wish I could open it up now so I could at least try to visually check how bad the damage is if thats possible, but I don't have anything thats tiny enough to unscrew the two bottom screws that allows you to get in. So now I wait... and hope.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #388 on: Tuesday, April 09, 2013, 05:36:38 PM »
I don't know how it works with an iPhone, but does it work plugged in?

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #389 on: Tuesday, April 09, 2013, 05:52:06 PM »
Yea, even when it dead it comes on when its plugged it to a wall socket.

Well I did manage to get it open. My dad had some small tools that I could use. Everything looked intact and fine except for one spot on the empty panel on the inside, there was a little area where some moisture had dried up (which is exactly where the battery sits). I cleaned it off with an alcohol swab and swabbed both sides of the battery. Put it back in and put the iphone back together. It still won't hold a charge but I'm a little more confident that it's just the battery now.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #390 on: Tuesday, April 09, 2013, 09:36:53 PM »
Awesome! Definitely sounds like just the battery. Leave it alone until the replacement gets there. The majority of times I've fucked up electronics it's been because I've gotten impatient and tried to MacGyver some stupid solution.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #391 on: Sunday, September 08, 2013, 09:25:59 PM »
This is the best phone I've ever used:

It's fast as hell, the camera is sweet, the build quality is great (unibody aluminum), the size is perfect and I really like the AMOLED screen...pentile or no. 

That said, it has one moving part (the power button) and it's breaking/not registering (I'm blaming fine dust), so I'm getting a replacement.

Nexus 4's are insanely cheap off contract right now direct from Google.  If anyone is in the market for a phone, check it out.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re:
« Reply #392 on: Monday, September 09, 2013, 04:39:06 PM »
I have had my eye on the Nexus 4 but I am still on contract with Verizon and have the phone's predecessor.  The Galaxy Nexus is pretty slow ever since they put 4.2.2 on it though.  4.3 should speed it up a bit if Verizon ever decides to release it if my Nexus 10 experience says anything.

Right now I like the HTC One and Moto X more, but those aren't Nexus phones.  The Nexus 5 is probably around the corner but the leaked Nexus that is floating around looks massive and I don't like that.

I'm pretty undecided but I have 6 months to think about it.  I do want to go Euro-style and buy an unlocked phone outright with no contract.  It just sucks that if you do that you only have two carriers to choose from in the U.S.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #393 on: Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 11:43:11 AM »
Really?  I figured the Nexus would cover all bands.

New iPhones announced today.  5s is 64 bit and has a fingerprint scanner

5c is basically an iPhone 5 in a plastic case.

The 64 bit thing is confusing. Like, there's still not enough RAM for it to matter, so why?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #394 on: Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 02:22:28 PM »
Weird.  That's unlike Apple to tout specs like that (except for something truly interesting like resolution and DPI).

Regarding the Nexus 4, it is GSM and HSPA+. That's just T-Mobile and AT&T. Verizon is CDMA and LTE. Sprint is CDMA, WiMax, and LTE. And even though Verizon and Sprint have CDMA and LTE, I am not aware of any phones that come factory unlocked and without carrier bloatware that use those radios.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #395 on: Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »
Ahhh.  I don't even think you can buy unlocked CDMA, can you? They don't operate on SIM, so phones are naturally linked to carrier, aren't they?

At least that's how it was with my old CDMA.   That's too bad.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Phonebloks
« Reply #396 on: Friday, September 13, 2013, 01:19:33 AM »
This is what I would love to see become reality.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #397 on: Thursday, October 31, 2013, 07:08:37 PM »
Nexus 5 and Kitkat announced today. 5" screen, quad core something over 2 ghz, and 2gb of RAM.

Made by LG again.  The real news is that they're selling it for $349 16GB or $399 32 GB in white or black. Pretty awesome and really shows that Google is sticking by their strategy of selling high spec phones unlocked for low prices in order to boost Android.  I imagine it'll follow the Nexus 4 in having an adequate screen (the Nexus 4 screen is actually really good, but the colour setup is off) and passable camera (although this time with OIS and some new HDR feature), but hey: You're getting a fast as hell phone for like $200 less than other brands.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #398 on: Sunday, November 03, 2013, 11:14:30 AM »
Anything new in Kitkat I should be excited about? The only thing that stood out to me is better Hangouts integration but that seems pretty minor.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #399 on: Sunday, November 03, 2013, 02:35:51 PM »
Anything new in Kitkat I should be excited about? The only thing that stood out to me is better Hangouts integration but that seems pretty minor.
Better memory management seems to be the biggest one for me.