Author Topic: I think my Xbox is dead....  (Read 1332 times)

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
I think my Xbox is dead....
« on: Saturday, August 22, 2009, 08:45:32 PM »
LAME AS FUCK!

So I'm shooting some faces off in Battlefield and my pictures just goes black & white and them completely out. So I rebooted it. Nothing. I can hear sound, but there is no picture. Checked all my connections, and everything was A-okay. Tried it again...same thing, sound and no picture. So I thought maybe the component input on the TV went out. So Switched it up, put my cable TV where my XBox was plugged in, and my Xbox where my cable was plugged in, the cable appeared as soon as I plugged it in. Switched my input and could here the XBox, but still no sound. So I thought the component cables went bad. Ran over to target and got new ones, came back, hooked it all up...same damn thing!!!E$@#$

And Batman comes out in 2 freaking days. I really don't feel like dropping the dough on a new Xbox..I mean, I can sort of afford it, but this is still bullshit.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: I think my Xbox is dead....
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, August 22, 2009, 08:57:44 PM »
Wait... original Xbox or 360?  You keep saying Xbox, but then you say Batman is coming out, and new games don't come out for Xbox anymore, do they?

Anyway, either way it wouldn't be a surprise.  My original Xbox still sort of works, but not well, and my original PS2 lasted twice as long (and could probably be fixed if I realigned the laser properly).  Fuck Microsoft.

Either way, I feel for you, man.  That's no fun.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, August 22, 2009, 09:00:39 PM »
That sucks.  Any warranty?

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, August 22, 2009, 09:11:36 PM »
360. No warranty, I bought it 3 or 4 years ago. I'm thinking about trying the towel trick...

If I get a new one, does anyone know how the whole xbox live stuff carries over? I have some arcade things that I've bought..my game info, anyone know?
« Last Edit: Sunday, August 23, 2009, 07:26:49 AM by ScaryTooth »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, August 22, 2009, 09:22:15 PM »
Nope, you're fucked.  At least from what I last read, which was a while ago.  But as far as I know that stuff is tied to the console.  Pretty sure it's the same for PS3, too.

Also, the towel trick doesn't really work.  All it can do is melt the solder and (you hope) reseat things properly, but I've never heard of that actually lasting for more than a little while.

You no longer have a receipt for it?  Because they had that 3 year warranty thing where you could get a replacement for a system within 3 years.  I don't know what you need for that, though.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, August 22, 2009, 09:27:48 PM »
I'm reading that you can apparently buy an arcade version, and slap the hard drive that I currently have on it, and all is the same.

I have no clue where the receipt is at this point. Actually, maybe I stashed it in the box.

brb!

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, August 22, 2009, 09:38:22 PM »
Looks like I'm buying a new one. Sigh.

Oh well. Frustrating as hell though.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, August 22, 2009, 10:37:25 PM »
Your purchases are tied to your XBL account, not your console (same with ps3, unfortunately not with the Wii).  Everything will transfer over just fine.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, August 22, 2009, 10:54:15 PM »
Hooray for good news!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, August 23, 2009, 06:34:56 AM »
It is terrible news, but make sure you get a jasper. You can tell from the power brick which should have a 165W rating rather than a 240W rating.

Jaspers aren't RRODing at all at the moment.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, August 23, 2009, 08:18:19 AM »
Your purchases are tied to your XBL account, not your console (same with ps3, unfortunately not with the Wii).  Everything will transfer over just fine.

Right, partially.  They are dongled 2 ways (either of which is enough alone): your XBL acct and your console.  If you are on your original console, you don't need to log into Live to use your stuff.  On a new console, you do, until you transfer the licenses.  There's a procedure online to do that.  I forget all the details, but I know it works, because I did it. 

Heh.  Google is the most wonderful thing since sliced bread.  See here.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, August 30, 2009, 09:12:02 AM »
In terms of failure rates, the 60/40 split between Xbox 360 and PS3 they experience is remarkable in that it does prove pretty conclusively that both consoles are having exactly the same issues, especially when the methodology for fixing them is effectively identical.

Interesting.  So what about the PS3 Slim?  Does it fix the issue in the same way the Jasper design seems to be working for the 360?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, August 30, 2009, 10:27:47 AM »
Interesting.  Though at this point I can still say that everyone I know that's owned a 360 except myself has had it fail, whereas I only know 1 person with a failed PS3.  I suppose it could have to do with system age, but this all still strikes me as a bit skewed somehow.  Either way, with how frequently I actually get to play games these days, I probably have a lot less to worry about than most.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, August 30, 2009, 01:53:16 PM »
It is terrible news, but make sure you get a jasper. You can tell from the power brick which should have a 165W rating rather than a 240W rating.

Jaspers aren't RRODing at all at the moment.

The easiest way is to check the amperage rating. You'll find this in the bottom left corner of the back plate of the XBOX just above the MADE IN CHINA (more importantly...right next to the barcode you can see thru the retail box).

If it says 12V - 14.2A:5V you are looking at a 'FALCON'

if it says 12V - 12.1A:5V you've got yourself a 'JASPER'

Basically you might be able to see the amp rating without opening the box. I've got a Falcon and it's going on a year with no problems, but Jasper is supposed to be more reliable.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #15 on: Monday, August 31, 2009, 12:52:50 AM »
I think there is a label on the box that indicates it is a jasper. I forgot what it is, but google will help.