Author Topic: Dragon Age 2  (Read 50255 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Dragon Age 2 -- Update: DA2 - Bioware Signature Edition announced (10-14)
« Reply #40 on: Thursday, October 14, 2010, 06:26:24 PM »
Shacknews -> Here's what Dragon Age 2 will pull-in for data from those who import their DAO saved games.

Essentially, what they aren't saying is that you won't see any meaningful consequences of your actions, and like Mass Effect 2, will get some word of what happened. That's it.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #42 on: Sunday, October 31, 2010, 01:01:45 PM »
New trailer featuring in-game footage!
I already had "Rise To Power" up from GameSpot...
But yours is of a better resolution and quality.
So, I added it to front page. :)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #43 on: Sunday, October 31, 2010, 01:17:20 PM »
I already had "Rise To Power" up from GameSpot...
But yours is of a better resolution and quality.
So, I added it to front page. :)
haha sorry, I just got the Bioware newsletter and that was the highlight! At least it had some purpose :P

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #44 on: Sunday, October 31, 2010, 01:18:24 PM »
Yeah - yours is of much better resolution! :) And can be DL'ed, too. Your link's better.

You know, 2011 is going to be shaping up to be an amazing RPG year.

Dragon Age 2; The Witcher 2 (my most anticipated game of 2011); Two Worlds 2 (which is getting high reviews overseas - they are getting it this year in 2010); Deus Ex 3 - this is just unreal. And that ain't even all of them planned for next year!

Is Risen 2 next year in 2011? What about Mass Effect 3?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #45 on: Thursday, November 04, 2010, 06:32:46 PM »
Joystiq -> Preview on DA2.

Improving The Rogue Class
EA was showing off the dual-wielding rogue during the session. Employing two swords, the class is characterized by nimble, agile attacks and speed-based buffs. It's a character that's designed to be quick and allow you to easily get in and out of battle. My favorite skill was "Springboard," allowing me to briefly vanish, only to reappear behind an enemy for a deadly backstab -- perfect for avoiding danger and striking critical blows.

"The big thing, the problem with the Rogue in Origins was they didn't know what role they were trying to fill," Darrah suggested. "Rogue was sort of half-warrior, half-nothing -- it had some of the same talents as the warrior: You had dual-wielding; you had archery; many of the same things the warrior did. So what we're trying to do here is make sure each of the classes has a distinct personality and purpose."

I couldn't directly compare the Rogue to any of the other classes since the Rogue was the only one playable, but its strengths and weaknesses were very clear. Once I got acclimated to the dualist Rogue's abilities, it was apparent that it wasn't the tank the warrior is, but still an excellent class built around some strong melee combat abilities.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Dragon Age 2 -- Update: Bioware is improving the Rogue Class (11-4)
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday, November 17, 2010, 07:10:02 PM »
Kotaku -> Dragon Age II Preview.

Command Stacking is GONE
You can still pause combat. On the console or PC version you can stop the action, transfer from character to character, assigning their one next move (you can't stack commands).

Strategic fighting has not been eliminated, just not shown much to the press. BioWare, the rep explained, prefers to show off a more exciting, fast-moving play style for the sequel, even though they support the old-school turn-taking approach. That faster style is what they want to hook Fable fans with, what they think even a Borderlands fan might dig.

Overhead Tactical View is GONE
The bigger change, however, is that the game will no longer support an overhead tactical view on any platform. This was an art and combat-design decision, the BioWare rep told me today. Support for that Baldur's Gate-style view forced the artists to design rooms and scenes that didn't have important things on their ceilings and skies — which top-down players wouldn't see. It also forced the designers into an awkward spot where they had to accommodate top-down turn-taking players and behind-the-back action-first players.

By catering to the more reckless of those playing styles, the designers were forced to make the game's difficulty fairly low. Making all players play from some sort of from-the-rear camera view alleviates that.

But! PC gamers, your version will include a special option to zoom the camera out, just not up. Console gamers won't get that.

I think I just threw-up in my mouth, thanks...

EDIT:
Bioware Forums -> On-Going Discussion on Kotaku's Preview about a lot of stuff.

Mike Epler of Bioware on the camera
Since it's a little unclear - you can still pull the camera back and then adjust the yaw, which would allow for a fairly-close-to top-down camera perspective. You aren't stuck with varying degrees of over-the-shoulder.

Mike Laidlaw of Bioware on the camera
Hey folks.
Thought I would slide in here to clarify this last query:
The camera is attached to your currently controlled character.
It may be rotated freely.

« Last Edit: Wednesday, November 17, 2010, 08:21:34 PM by MysterD »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Dragon Age 2 - Update: Overhead Tactical View + Command Stacking = GONE (11-17)
« Reply #47 on: Thursday, November 18, 2010, 01:02:59 AM »
Fuck.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Dragon Age 2 - Update: Overhead Tactical View + Command Stacking = GONE (11-17)
« Reply #48 on: Thursday, November 18, 2010, 01:39:37 PM »
Ok, I'm gonna stop thinking of it as a Dragon Age game.. Maybe that'll dull the pain.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #49 on: Thursday, November 18, 2010, 06:00:43 PM »
Ok, I'm gonna stop thinking of it as a Dragon Age game.. Maybe that'll dull the pain.

Hawke: A Dragon Age Tale would be a more fitting title...

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #50 on: Friday, November 19, 2010, 11:28:14 AM »
Hawke pun time

The changes have clearly been made to Hawke this to the Xbox crowd.

Pretty disappointing they removed the Hawke's eye view.

As a massive fan of the play style and tactical view in DA:O, this makes me want to Hawke a loogie.

Did I miss any?
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #51 on: Friday, November 19, 2010, 12:11:21 PM »
What the Fawke?

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Dragon Age 2 - Update: Approval System for Companions = GONE (11-30)
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, November 30, 2010, 03:51:11 PM »
PCG -> Companion Approval System = GONE.

They’re also ditching the approval system. You won’t be trying to lobby your companions by saving kittens in front of them; now they’ll agree with you completely, or just stick around as a ‘rival’.

A rival respects your power and the role you play in the world, but thinks you’re kind of a dick. As a side effect of that, you can’t have an outright evil champion. You’ll have to settle for being ruthless in the pursuit of your ideals.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Dragon Age 2 - Update: Approval System for Companions = GONE (11-30)
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday, November 30, 2010, 11:38:08 PM »
hahah fuck this game.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Dragon Age 2 - Update: In-Game Footage (12-1)
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday, December 01, 2010, 05:06:39 PM »
They've 'streamlined' companion inventory as well. No more do you have to 'worry' about the equipment your party members wear.

What the hell are they doing to this game? Not an RPG anymore? It is easy to blame the console crowd, but how stupid do they think people are? I think they are underestimating the intelligence of their fans.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday, December 01, 2010, 05:08:29 PM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday, December 01, 2010, 05:38:26 PM »
Quote from: Heather Rabatich
We had a pretty good game the first time around, and we thought it would make more money if we made is suck ass.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday, December 01, 2010, 05:39:38 PM »
They've 'streamlined' companion inventory as well. No more do you have to 'worry' about the equipment your party members wear.

What the hell are they doing to this game? Not an RPG anymore? It is easy to blame the console crowd, but how stupid do they think people are? I think they are underestimating the intelligence of their fans.

The "streamlining" worked for Mass Effect series b/c that series controlled like a shooter game, in the first place. It made sense for that series in ME2 to evolve the way it did.

This all w/ Dragon Age 2 - it just doesn't make sense for Dragon Age series. If Bioware gave this Dragon Age 2 another name entirely, I'd probably actually be VERY interested for this game.

Fallout: New Vegas is really good b/c it's an improvement on what Fallout 3 had done before it, in many regards - better narrative and storytelling; more weapons; additional combat options in VATS for melee weapons; some new gameplay features (Crafting; iron sights; modding for guns); additional Reputation system when dealing w/ Factions and towns (The Overall Karma point system is still intact, too); etc. New Vegas basically did not alienate fans of the previous game (Fallout 3) - New Vegas built even more so upon everything gamers loved about Fallout 3. It's what a sequel should do - it went for more, more, and more.

DA2 looks to be going the other way - removing things (removing Companion approval system; removing Command Stacking; removing Overhead Tactical View; etc). I have a bad feeling Dragon Age 2 is going to alienate fans of the previous game, DA: Origins - and that would be the big hardcore old-school strategy-RPG crowd. The only thing I really like about DA2 is the new stylistic-looking graphics. The combat in the video does look great, yes - but, I think they could've found a way to make that work in a strategy-RPG. I have a few ideas, if Bioware wants to hire me. ;)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday, December 01, 2010, 06:52:28 PM »
“Now, the game mainly sold on console, so we're going the way of the audience.” -- Bioware to Joystiq.

At least they are admitting it.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday, December 01, 2010, 07:25:43 PM »
It's just kinda funny because everyone was praising how PC-centric the game was and how it catered to that crowd. That was what (at least) critics praised it for. They seemed like they had a good gig going where Mass Effect filled action-oriented cravings while Dragon Age was more for the old school RPG cravings. While it's more than likely that there's more money in the Mass Effect crowd, there's something to be said about dominating both sides of the market with two different games. This is especially true when a lot of the people who Bioware is trying to tempt with all these changes already wrote the franchise off while the changes are pushing away people who would want a sequel.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #63 on: Thursday, December 02, 2010, 01:10:34 AM »
Actually, at least that's what I think surprised EA.

A beautiful game like Mass Effect 2, sold only 1.6 million units. I say only, because a game like that, in a fairer universe, should be outselling less original titles like Call of Duty and Halo.

Dragon Age sold 3.2 million units. Yes... the first game in a franchise outsold the second game in a more established franchise by exactly twice as much. And as we can see from the statement given to Joystiq, most of those sales happened on the console.

While I *loved* Dragon Age, I'll be the first to admit that it was a bit of a generic old-school, swords and wizards game. The theme and storytelling -- while alright -- didn't appeal to me as much as the fantastic combat, the tactical stuff, and the mechanics of the game.

So guess what, they are going to basically keep the theme and storytelling, and lighten the load on the other stuff.

BTW, the sales number I mentioned (you can Google them) are from the first month of selling. I don't know how well the games did down the road, but as we all know, if you sell 2 million units in the first month at full price, you are basically better off than selling four million units at half price throughout the rest of the year (especially when factoring in other costs like shelf space, and when considering that those other sales happen during weekend sales etc.).

So the point is that Dragon Age was subpar on the consoles, yet outsold ME2 on the them by twice as much. What made them buy the game? I bet it was the marketing. Along with the manson music, the less informed buyers were expecting something like the video game version of 300 the movie. I think basically that's what they want DA2 to be this time. Bioware have said they are looking to make an action RPG.

I am not saying that Dragon Age 2 will be a bad game.

In fact, like ME2, this could be a great game. Bioware -- aside from Jade Empire -- haven't let us down yet. I just am disappointed that this is what DA2 is turning into. As Sirean said, ME and DA serviced different needs.

BTW, what I find really sad, are the resident fanboys on the Dragon Age 2 forums.

You go there, and you can spot them very quickly. It is the same on every game forum... you have five to ten posters, who just hang out on the game forum, posting thirty to forty times a day (yes I checked their profiles), every day. They almost don't even log out.

It is a bit creepy. Yes, this is coming from a dude who posts a lot on OW, but we don't all have one game in common interest. This a general forum, and we discuss all sorts of stuff. These guys only discuss Dragon Age 2, all day, and seem to spend most of their posting time defending against whatever someone new posts are criticism.

I am almost wondering if they are Bioware employees. Either that, or they are just in denial.

Some examples: (Note, the answers are coming from the same group of 5-10 people)

Q: They modified the tactical view WTF? You can't queue orders any more? WTF?

A: So? It is a good thing. In fact, it will make the game *more* tactical.

Q: How?

A: You'll see.

Q: You can't equip your party anymore? Can't change their gear, only their whole outfits?

A: Yea, but what does that to do with the game's depth? It should actually be a GOOD thing!

Q: How?

A: You'll see.

Q: They've modified the skill tree? Compressed several branches into one a piece? Zomgs!

A: So, it gives you less time to worry about that stuff, and more to concentrate on the actual game! (yes, someone said that)

Q: You are limited to a single race?

A: Yea, but who selected another race anyway?

Basically, there is no arguing with these people. I am convinced that they are either mentally ill, or Bioware employees... or possibly both.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #64 on: Thursday, December 02, 2010, 02:02:07 PM »
I had no idea that Dragon Age outsold Mass Effect 2 by such a large margin, or even at all. That's honestly pretty surprising. Thing is, I wonder how many of those got the game only to question the marketing they had going. I'd suspect that people who fell for the marketing aren't the type of people to follow the development of the sequel and would therefore avoid it.

Still, with sales like that they could lose a lot of return customers and come out ahead (especially when development costs are being cut by producing what seems to be a smaller world).

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #65 on: Thursday, December 02, 2010, 02:22:44 PM »
I'm shocked too, but mostly just because Dragon Age was so ungodly bland.  The gameplay was really great, and it had a lot going for it, but it was just so utterly fucking cookie-cutter fantasy I had to give up.  It was the epitome of boring to me, great gameplay or otherwise.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #66 on: Thursday, December 02, 2010, 02:40:10 PM »
I absolutely agree w/ Pug - Dragon Age 2 could turn out to be a great Action-RPG. But, what I've been reading about DA2 - it's not really what I'm looking for in a game titled "Dragon Age", after playing the strategy-RPG that was DA: Origins + DA: Awakening.

We already have a ton of Action-RPG games on the market. We need more strategy-RPG's - like BG series; IWD series; NWN series; Drakensang series; and the first Dragon Age: Origins + Awakening.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #67 on: Thursday, December 02, 2010, 03:08:13 PM »
I am still playing The Witcher, but I loved Dragon Age so much more.

For me, it was sorta the opposite. While The Witcher has a fantastically rich world, with some excellent storytelling, and feels very original, the combat system is very boring to me. Hopefully that aspect of it will get better as I progress further through the game. Admittedly, I am only 20% or so through.

But from what I read of the developer interviews, The Witcher 2 will improve on the combat stuff quite a bit... so yea... at this stage it is the only RPG I have to look forward to with Diablo 3 ages away.

I had no idea that Dragon Age outsold Mass Effect 2 by such a large margin, or even at all. That's honestly pretty surprising. Thing is, I wonder how many of those got the game only to question the marketing they had going. I'd suspect that people who fell for the marketing aren't the type of people to follow the development of the sequel and would therefore avoid it.

Still, with sales like that they could lose a lot of return customers and come out ahead (especially when development costs are being cut by producing what seems to be a smaller world).

Interesting thing is that development for DA2 seemed to have happened much faster than normal, even considering that it had been fast tracked.

DA1 was in development for a long long time. It was actually rumored to have been ready on the PC a whole 8-10 months before it was actually released. I bet they delayed to meet a simultaneous holiday launch with the consoles, and took the time to create a more console specific port.

The strange thing is how quickly they got DA2 ready. I bet DA2 was in development before DA1 was even out of the door.

My theory as to why Bioware seem to have this hardon for multiplayer in their Mass Effect games is because it didn't get Halo and CoD like sales numbers. Ever since the sales numbers came out, I've heard Bioware talk about how they should have had a multiplayer portion, and how they will definitely have that for ME3.

This is why I wasn't at all surprised when Bioware announced the ME multiplayer spinoff.

It could very well be the EA factor. It seems that EA believes that a lot of these critically acclaimed games like Mass Effect, Dead Space 2 etc., aren't seeing Halo and CoD like sales figures because they lack a multiplayer component.

Heck, with game development cost so high, and so many Halo players admitting they buy the game only for the multiplayer, I can't blame EA for thinking along those lines. I suspect they've even exerted some pressure on Bioware. I don't mind. I can see a good multiplayer component working well with a game like ME2.

I don't find it interesting in a game like Dead Space or Bioshock though. Actually, I find it stupid. But if adding a silly multiplayer component increases sales numbers and allows developers more money to make creative AAA titles, then so be it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #68 on: Thursday, December 02, 2010, 03:39:30 PM »
I am still playing The Witcher, but I loved Dragon Age so much more.

For me, it was sorta the opposite. While The Witcher has a fantastically rich world, with some excellent storytelling, and feels very original, the combat system is very boring to me. Hopefully that aspect of it will get better as I progress further through the game. Admittedly, I am only 20% or so through.

But from what I read of the developer interviews, The Witcher 2 will improve on the combat stuff quite a bit... so yea... at this stage it is the only RPG I have to look forward to with Diablo 3 ages away.
Combat gets better in The Witcher - once you get more skills and boosts; more boss battles; and more group battles, later on.

The Witcher 2 is my most anticipated game of 2011.

Also - is it me, or is Dragon Age 2 trying to be more like The Witcher series?  :o
Gritty dark-fantasy world - check;
Action-orientated gameplay - check;
Lots of blood and guts and finishing moves - check;
One lead character w/ a name and is fully voice-acted - check.

Not too much emphasis on your Inventory & Equipment (Witcher 1) - check;
[Side note: The Witcher 2 looks like there will be more emphasis on this than in The Witcher 1.]

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #69 on: Friday, December 03, 2010, 12:29:42 AM »
What? No.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Dragon Age 2 - Update: DA2 will likely have Helmet toggle (12-2)
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday, December 07, 2010, 05:46:18 AM »
Dragon Age 1 had helmet toggle.. How's that new?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday, December 07, 2010, 06:11:40 AM »
I think it means that if you want to wear a helmet in combat but have it go invisible because you find it looks ugly, you can do so.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #74 on: Tuesday, December 07, 2010, 07:20:29 AM »
Yea I think you can do that in the first Dragon Age.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday, December 07, 2010, 07:36:31 AM »
I don't think you can, can you? It automatically disappears in conversations but I don't see a way to "hide" it in combat?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday, December 07, 2010, 12:25:18 PM »
I don't think you can, can you? It automatically disappears in conversations but I don't see a way to "hide" it in combat?
I recall it was added to the options menu in one of the patches.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday, December 07, 2010, 06:46:34 PM »
Seems like a strange thing to get excited about, but I can't speak for everyone.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #78 on: Wednesday, December 08, 2010, 12:57:57 AM »
hahaa yes.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #79 on: Wednesday, December 08, 2010, 12:33:55 PM »
Haha "Helmet OFF! Helmet ON!!" FUUUCK YEEAH!!" ;D