Author Topic: Firefox 2.0 is out  (Read 13244 times)

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
Re: Firefox 2.0 is out
« Reply #40 on: Thursday, October 26, 2006, 03:51:14 PM »
To add a word to the dictionary, just right-click on a misspelled word - "Add to Dictionary" will be towards the top, below the closest matches.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #41 on: Thursday, October 26, 2006, 04:58:14 PM »
To add a word to the dictionary, just right-click on a misspelled word - "Add to Dictionary" will be towards the top, below the closest matches.
Cool, thanks Wind :D

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #42 on: Thursday, October 26, 2006, 05:40:35 PM »
Dude, it's spell check in a browser.  One of the sweetest things to happen to browsers in awhile.  And we're complaining?

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #43 on: Thursday, October 26, 2006, 05:54:53 PM »
I dig the spell check
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #44 on: Thursday, October 26, 2006, 09:24:28 PM »
I just figure if it's gonna be done it has to be right :P

I know this is the first iteration of the spell-checker, but that's exactly why it needs to be criticized.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #45 on: Thursday, October 26, 2006, 10:51:11 PM »
I don't see what the big deal is.  It seems better than many spellcheckers in other programs I've seen.  The one in OpenOffice.org is pretty shitty.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #46 on: Friday, October 27, 2006, 12:31:52 AM »
I don't see what the big deal is.  It seems better than many spellcheckers in other programs I've seen.  The one in OpenOffice.org is pretty shitty.
I agree it is a very decent spell-checker. My comment was just that it could use a little tweaking and a few fixes (as with the majority of software).

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #47 on: Friday, October 27, 2006, 11:46:24 AM »
Example: Make English / United Kingdom the default spell-check used by the English / United Kingdom spellcheck.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #48 on: Friday, October 27, 2006, 04:48:01 PM »
Example: Make English / United Kingdom the default spell-check used by the English / United Kingdom spellcheck.
That's one example :P Or at least in the UK installer!

Here's a weird little thing I found:
When I type etc. it considers "etc" (without the period) incorrect. So i right-click to see the options for a correct spelling, and "etc." is listed. I click it, it replaces "etc" and still considers it a spelling error. It also only replaces the "etc" without the period, making it "etc.."

Tiny little detail, but worth a note.

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #49 on: Friday, October 27, 2006, 11:28:51 PM »
A etc. etc.. etc..... ? It thinks they're all broken. Maybe you should get used to typing out et cetera, with or without the space but always with the italics, to make yourself look like you were of a lawyer's foul brood?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #50 on: Saturday, October 28, 2006, 01:04:27 AM »
A etc. etc.. etc..... ? It thinks they're all broken. Maybe you should get used to typing out et cetera, with or without the space but always with the italics, to make yourself look like you were of a lawyer's foul brood?
Haha I'm not that anal :P

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: Saturday, October 28, 2006, 05:54:20 AM »
With Word, I've always ignored stuff like that.  I also ignore all its grammar flagging.  I'm sure when I finally get to use Firefox 2.0, I'll be doing my share of ignoring.

It doesn't force you to make changes, or make you wade through nag screens before you post "misspellings", does it?  That would suck.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #52 on: Saturday, October 28, 2006, 06:54:52 AM »
No.  Just underlines them.  You can right-click to see Firefox's suggestions, or ignore the potential misspelling.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: Saturday, October 28, 2006, 07:41:40 AM »
Perfect.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #54 on: Saturday, October 28, 2006, 06:42:34 PM »
I like Firefox's way of underlining too, it's more subtle and less intrusive than Word's jagged red line. I like using it because it brings spelling to my attention in case I misspell/mistype common words.

I think GoogleTalk will have a spell-checker too.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #55 on: Monday, October 30, 2006, 09:02:15 PM »
One thing that I'm pissed of they didn't fix- when you have multiple tabs open, and one of them is adobe acrobat, you can't ctrl+t to open up another tab, you have to go to file -> new tab. It seems pretty minute, but it's generally a problem when I am collecting articles for a paper, and it's just another frustration. Just noticed it again today, since I have two papers to write tonight.  :P

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #56 on: Monday, October 30, 2006, 10:33:34 PM »
Hmm, I guess other options would be right-click on the tab bar and click new tab, or you could just add a new tab button to the toolbar. Of course you could always just press Alt+F then T instead of Ctrl+T. Though this should be fixed.

I think I know why it happens.. When you open a PDF in Firefox the focus shifts to the Acrobat toolbar that appears at the top.

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 12:24:14 AM »
Yeah, it's a focus problem. I think that, within Firefox, the focus follows your mouse. The issue also comes up with Flash and Java applets. It's especially annoying because it also steals the focus for my scroll wheel....

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 02:54:37 AM »
Yeah, it's a focus problem. I think that, within Firefox, the focus follows your mouse. The issue also comes up with Flash and Java applets. It's especially annoying because it also steals the focus for my scroll wheel....
Yeah the scroll wheel one is pretty annoying.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 08:25:26 AM »
Internet Explorer 7 vs Firefox 2

Firefox always manages to stay one step ahead of IE.. I think it's mainly because Mozilla innovates while Microsoft imitates.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 10:09:18 AM »
Internet Explorer 7 vs Firefox 2

Firefox always manages to stay one step ahead of IE.. I think it's mainly because Mozilla innovates while Microsoft imitates.
I can't get it to come up.

But yeah, I agree.  Microsoft doesn't seem to have a creative bone in its body.  Nearly everything they have is basically an idea stole from someone else.

The only thing I give credit to Microsoft for is server integration.  It is simply amazing how plug-and-play all their commercial server products are.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 11:53:30 AM by scottws »

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 12:27:52 PM »
Finally read the article by Remote Desktop-ing in to my home computer.  The article was somehow blocked on the corporate network (which was weird since both www.cnet.com and reviews.cnet.com worked fine).

In any case, great article and I wholeheartedly agree.

I didn't know FF2 had a anti-phishing filter.  It's kind of nebulous and not-well-explained.  It is located in Tools | Options | Security and it's called "Tell me if the site I'm visiting is a suspected forgery."  Then you have two options:  to verify the site against Google or to use a downloaded list of suspect sites.  It doesn't give you the option to update this downloaded list, to alter the frequency of this list's updates, or to load your own list so I don't know what's really going on there with that feature.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 09:17:07 PM »
Finally read the article by Remote Desktop-ing in to my home computer.  The article was somehow blocked on the corporate network (which was weird since both www.cnet.com and reviews.cnet.com worked fine).

In any case, great article and I wholeheartedly agree.

I didn't know FF2 had a anti-phishing filter.  It's kind of nebulous and not-well-explained.  It is located in Tools | Options | Security and it's called "Tell me if the site I'm visiting is a suspected forgery."  Then you have two options:  to verify the site against Google or to use a downloaded list of suspect sites.  It doesn't give you the option to update this downloaded list, to alter the frequency of this list's updates, or to load your own list so I don't know what's really going on there with that feature.
Yeah, I liked the debate :D

I think Mozilla are addressing the anti-phishing section, and hopefully it will be clearer and more versatile in the coming updates.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday, November 01, 2006, 06:18:56 AM »
Hey, if anyone prefers the old Firefox look and icons somebody just made a theme ;D

Winestripe

I just installed IE7 just to really experience it, and man Firefox wipes the floor with it. I mean sure IE7 is nicer than IE6, but it's still nothing compared to the mighty fox!

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday, November 01, 2006, 10:07:14 AM »
I think the extra features of IE7 seem clunky.  Like they were just hacked on almost as an afterthought.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday, November 01, 2006, 12:11:33 PM »
I think the extra features of IE7 seem clunky.  Like they were just hacked on almost as an afterthought.
Yeah, and even though they've condensed the general interface they completely nullify that by making the tabs ridiculously bulky! The tabs are a lot thicker than they need to be. IE7 actually kinda feels like the old "MSN Explorer" (I don't know if anyone remembers, it was the one with MSN Messenger embedded in it). The more I analyze the interface the clearer it seems like a total rip of Firefox's principles.

I'll even take Flock (which is based on Firefox) over IE anyday!